Holiday Ziplining

by Meghann on December 19, 2010

Last night I knocked another amazing experience off my ever growing life list – Night Time Ziplining through Christmas lights. Amazing, simply amazing.

IMG_4043.jpg

A few weeks ago Derek sent me an e-mail asking if I would like to do some nighttime ziplining for Christmas. Umm.. Is the sky blue? I’m pretty sure that’s a no-brainer. I’m always up for a new adventure!

I’ve always wanted to go ziplining, but timing has never worked out. I assumed the only ziplining courses were far, far away from home, but ,lucky for us, Derek discovered a place called Forever Florida that offers a full ziplining course year round. It’s the only ziplining course in the state of Florida and is only an hour drive away.

Well, more like an hour and a half.

We misjudged traffic and arrived about 30 minutes late to our 6:00pm check-in time. Our bad. Luckily, the staff was really polite and just pushed us back to a later group without a problem.

We were placed a group with two other couples and bused to the start of the course deep in the woods.

They suited us up with a harness, pulloys, and the hard hat helmet (which I was thankful to wear because I kept getting knocked in the head on the platforms throughout the course).

Nighttime ziplining was awesome!

The first half of the course had no lights what so ever. We were guided solely by the moonlight and had to basically trust where we were going on the lines. The first step off the initial platform was intimidating, but after that it became second nature to make the leap of faith. Our guides were amazing. They told jokes, made us feel comfortable, and not once did I feel unsafe.

The second half of the course incorporated the Christmas lights. When I first read about the experience online I had pictured gliding through lights in the trees that had been completely decked out for the holidays. This was not the case. The lights only surrounded the platforms and we basically saw a show and then ziplined light free to the platform. Ehhh.

We weren’t allowed to take photos in fear of blinding everyone with the flash, but I did find this promotional video online that kind of gives a feel of the experience.

Final thoughts? I want to go again!

Only next time in the daylight (so I can take photos) and I want to take my Dad – he would get a kick out of this! Maybe for his birthday?

THANK YOU DEREK for a one of a kind Christmas present!

IMG_4030.jpg

It’s an experience I will treasure for a lifetime. πŸ™‚

We finished ziplining around 9:00. Somewhere between leaving late and driving over an hour to zipline, we forgot to eat dinner and were both starving by the time our adventure was done.

On our way back home we stopped at Subway where I grabbed a veggie delight and baked lays for the road.

And enjoyed a tasty cake ball at home.

I tried to sleep in this morning, but someone had other plans. ahem Maddie

I took advantage of the early wake up call and hit the gym for a nice walk on the elliptical. I wanted to do 30 minutes on the elliptical and then 30 strength training. However, I got sucked into Sixteen Candles and even though I’ve seen the movie more times than I can count, I stayed on an extra 20 minutes to see if Samantha ends up with the jock in the end. She did and I got my fill of 80s love for the day. πŸ™‚

Derek made breakfast.

We seem to have an unspoken rule. I’m in charge of waffles and smoothies and he’s in charge of omelets. He is the king of omelets!

He made a wonderful omelet scramble with asparagus, olives, mushrooms, goat cheese, and a little siracha.

I also had some apple slices.

And a dry onion bagel.

What a gloomy day. πŸ™

Perfect weather for cookie baking, no? πŸ˜‰

1 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) December 19, 2010 at 11:09 am

Argh I’m jealous! I’ve always wanted to go ziplining!! πŸ™ It does sound awesome!
We have pretty bad weather here too, so I think I’m gonna join you in the cookie baking! πŸ˜€

2 Biz December 19, 2010 at 11:11 am

You had me at sriracha and goat cheese πŸ˜€

What a great adventure! I’ve never been ziplining, but everyone I know who has done it, says its a blast.

Enjoy your baking Sunday!

3 Allison @ PickyEatingRD December 19, 2010 at 11:14 am

OMG!…I am going to haveee to remember this exists in Florida since we visit often. What a fun and neat experience. I would have never even thought something like this exists there! Thanks for sharing!

4 grocery goddess jen December 19, 2010 at 11:19 am

Perfect weather for cookie baking, yes! Zip lining sounds fun!
grocery goddess jen recently posted..Sweet Potato and White Bean Patties

5 Faith @ lovelyascharged December 19, 2010 at 11:31 am

Wow, that’s definitely a once-in-a-lifetime thing!

6 Emily Malone December 19, 2010 at 11:43 am

That looks AMAZING!! Totally jealous. Derek totally wins the best gift award – love creative presents!
Emily Malone recently posted..Racing Forward

7 Cynthia December 19, 2010 at 11:44 am

I love zip lining too!! Its such a thrilling adventure πŸ™‚ Enjoy your day!
Cynthia recently posted..Saturdays Super Windy run!

8 Lee December 19, 2010 at 11:46 am

My husband and I did ziplining in Cancun. My poor husband had a case of Montazuma’s Revenge though and thought he was going to be sick the whole time. I loved it though.
Lee recently posted..Third Time’s a Charm

9 Matt December 19, 2010 at 11:50 am

That looks like a blast!
Matt recently posted..Cumin Roasted Potatoes

10 Mimi December 19, 2010 at 12:15 pm

My BF is wonderful at making omelets… Just nothing else!
Mimi recently posted..Cranberries and nuts

11 Ali December 19, 2010 at 12:22 pm

That looks so awesome! What a great experience! πŸ™‚ Have fun baking!!
Ali recently posted..life throws you curves

12 Kiran December 19, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I never knew what ziplining was up till today. Looks like a lot of fun πŸ˜€
Kiran recently posted..My favorite kitchen gadgets

13 Heather December 19, 2010 at 12:45 pm

look like fun!

How can you only eat one cake ball?! That seems nearly impossible!

14 Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 19, 2010 at 1:11 pm

I went ziplining once in Costa Rica. It was sooo fun! I have wanted to go again ever since!
Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) recently posted..Chocolate Covered Oreo Balls

15 Katy (The Singing Runner) December 19, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Ziplining is something that I have ALWAYS wanted to do. I get to do it in Costa Rica when I go there for Spring Break on a mission trip! πŸ™‚
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..30 Day To Go! And I’m a Guest Blogger!

16 Sana December 19, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Omggg! Derek is the KING of amazing gifts!

17 Sarah December 19, 2010 at 1:45 pm

definitely cookie baking weather! Derek’s present was perfect. So jealous!

18 Amanda (Eating Up) December 19, 2010 at 1:48 pm

How fun and unique! I’m baking cookies too, according to my mother. Apparently, the neighbors just dropped some off, and she needs some to return the gesture. She really doesn’t have to convince me to do it, though!
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..I’d Climb A Mountain for These Cookies

19 Shannon @ Philadelphia Phitness Pharmacy December 19, 2010 at 2:19 pm

That looks so fun! I am definitely going to try that next time I come to the area!!!!
Shannon @ Philadelphia Phitness Pharmacy recently posted..Starting to feel a little festive

20 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) December 19, 2010 at 2:23 pm

We’re having gloomy weather here, too. I’m also baking cookies today!

21 kristi (sweet cheeks) December 19, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Ziplining is an experience like no other!! I got to go once a while back at a summer camp. I was scarred at first but once I jumped off, it was amazing. I want to go again!
kristi (sweet cheeks) recently posted..Winter Goals

22 Jessica @ Internet Business Consultant December 19, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Oh that last photo made me miss Florida so much πŸ™ I am an Ohio girl, but I lived in Florida (Palm Harbor) for my seventh grade year. There is nothing quite like Florida rain! I loved it.

23 Lisa (bakebikeblog) December 19, 2010 at 3:58 pm

ooooh what a wonderful nightime adventure!!!!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..BBB Christmas Countdown – Getting Crafty

24 erica December 19, 2010 at 4:04 pm

i found your blog a few weeks back and have been trying to catch up, reading everything! LOVE IT!

ziplining is on my TO-DO list too! but to do it at night through christmas lights?!?! sounds even more amazing!!!!
erica recently posted..it’s crazy out there!

25 Erica December 19, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Wow! What an adventure. That looks like SO much fun. A very creative present- props to Derek!! Have fun with all the baking
Erica recently posted..E- Brandi’s Chobani Pumpkin Dip &amp Weekend

26 Christin@purplebirdblog December 19, 2010 at 5:26 pm

There is a place to zipline around here somewhere, and this makes me want to try it even more! And I loooove olives in omelets!!
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Like a Lavender Burrito

27 erin December 19, 2010 at 7:22 pm

I am spending tonight making some cookies…yum!
erin recently posted..Christmas in Hampden

28 Lacey @ Lake Life December 19, 2010 at 7:30 pm

That definitely looks like a one-of-a-kind gift!

I made cookies today too, it seems like the perfect thing to do on the last Sunday before Christmas!
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..12 Days of Christmas Songs- Day 4

29 Sharon December 19, 2010 at 8:16 pm

I was wondering if you ever go to Derrik’s house, or go visit his parents? I never seen pics or posts on either of these?