Return to the Gym

by Meghann on December 15, 2010

I did it.

I got out of bed this morning. I put on my work out clothes. And I went to the gym.

It felt strange going to my gym after such a long absence. I was afraid they would recognize the fact that I hadn’t been in 2 months or I would forget how to work their high tech treadmills, but there was no need to worry. I went in, punched in my code, and was running on a treadmill in a matter of minutes. Go figure.

The treadmills at my fancy gym are so much nicer than the dinky ‘let’s pretend’ ones at my apartment gym. For one thing they don’t shake or squeak. Another, they have TVs attached. And as a bonus they’re easier to adjust pace and incline due to the hyper sensitive touch screens. Love that.

I ran 3 miles on the fancy treadmill at a steady 6.5 pace while catching up on the morning news. (p.s. it’s still cold out there. according to the weatherman it ends today though.  😉 )

Then I grabbed a kettlebell and attempted this Kettlebell Yoga Workout from Shape. I felt kind of silly doing a yoga type workout in the middle of my gym, but once I got into the groove it wasn’t a big deal.

I ended my work out with some crunches on the ab ball and a few push ups.

A great work out to start the morning. 🙂

I enjoyed breakfast at my desk.

IMG_0740

A mix of cereal, vanilla yogurt, and an apple.

IMG_0743

My apple had turned icy in my car this morning! That’s a first!

IMG_0747

It was missing something….

Got it!

PB from my secret stash.

IMG_0751

Now, that’s the good stuff.

IMG_0750

IMG_0757

Yesterday was fun day. Today is catch up day. 🙂

1 Melissa December 15, 2010 at 9:18 am

Ahhh you have a stash too! I call mine “The Bad Girl Drawer” but that’s because it has peanut butter cups and oreos inside. I don’t think peanut butter with flaxseeds would make a very good bad girl drawer
Melissa recently posted..A Healthy Holiday for All!

2 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday December 15, 2010 at 9:19 am

Don’t feel awkward about doing different workouts at the gym. Chances are someone will see you doing it, think it’s cool, and copy your moves.

I do that all the time. Sometimes I approach people about what they’re doing and ask them questions about it, other times I just stare and make a mental note to try the workout next time.
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

3 Sarah @ See Sarah Graduate December 15, 2010 at 9:19 am

I’m trying to motivate myself to go to my college’s gym at the moment. :/ I haaaaate the dreadmill but with temps verging on negative numbers and snow on the ground, it’s the only option I’ve got unfortunately. Yikes!
Sarah @ See Sarah Graduate recently posted..Déjà vu

4 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 15, 2010 at 9:19 am

I can’t stand the ‘lets pretend’ treadmills either – I always feel like I’m going to go flying off! Looks like you got your morning off to a great start. 🙂
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Baby it’s Cold Outside

5 Margo December 15, 2010 at 9:23 am

I’m so impressed that you’re able to motivate yourself to go to the gym in the morning! I usually end up hitting the snooze button until it’s too late. Maybe trying a new workout like the Kettlebell Yoga will motivate me!

6 Honey B. Nutrition December 15, 2010 at 9:27 am

So happy for you getting back to the gym!! Bad treadmills, I know… it makes running so much less fun. xx
Honey B. Nutrition recently posted..The Calorie Paradox

7 Madeline - Greens and Jeans December 15, 2010 at 9:30 am

I’m usually the only girl in the weights room, and I’m usually lifting 5 pound weights intead of the heavy stuff the boys are lifting. I always feel like a little bit of a goober…
Madeline – Greens and Jeans recently posted..on the road again

8 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun December 15, 2010 at 9:40 am

I cannot wait to get back into the gym!!!! It’s my place and I miss it with this whole “no workouts allowed” part of my pregnancy.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..An Italian Feast

9 Heather December 15, 2010 at 9:41 am

I always feel funny when I’ve not been in the gym even for a few days. And never feel weird about doing yoga type stuff. My workouts have plyos & stuff that others would call weird too but it’s good for me!!!

Happy Hump Day!

10 Megan @ AVeryMegGirl December 15, 2010 at 9:45 am

This is totally random but how cute are those holiday loft bags.. I use mine all the time! I just love them!
Megan @ AVeryMegGirl recently posted..Confession

11 Matt December 15, 2010 at 10:14 am

I am eating some of that PB right now! SO good 😉
Matt recently posted..Sauteed Kale with Garlic and Lemon

12 Hope December 15, 2010 at 10:15 am

Your breakfast looks yummy! I love having cereal for breakfast.

13 Ali December 15, 2010 at 10:18 am

I really need to learn how to get better at packing a breakfast–or maybe just get better at keeping food to use in my fridge. Do you have any staples that you must have in your fridge for breakfasts and lunch? You always seem to have such a variety in your meals.
Ali recently posted..Workout Songs

14 RunningOnCoffee December 15, 2010 at 10:23 am

I have tried Trader Joe’s Almond Butter and another kind of Peanut Butter — but not the Valencia one you have! I’ll have to add that to my list.

My secret stash drawer includes: (let me look…) A variety of tea bags, some Starbucks VIA and Nescafe instant coffee packets, a couple honey packets for tea, a Larabar, TJ’s Dried Bartlett Pears, TJ’s Nutty American Trek mix, a Kashi Pumpkin Spice Flax bar, and some lime & salt microwave popcorn.

This reminds me, I just bought more dried Mango from Trader Joe’s last night, but forgot to bring it in today.
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Recipe- Pumpkin Carrot Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting

15 Beth @ Will Run for Books December 15, 2010 at 10:26 am

Hahahaha I love your definition of cold… It was 4 degrees when I left for work this morning. 🙂
Beth @ Will Run for Books recently posted..What I’m Reading Now

16 Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 15, 2010 at 10:29 am

I love the PB from Tj’s but my fave is their sunflower seed butter. Omg that to me is just heaven on a spoon 🙂

Welcome back to the gym…glad you had a nice session!

Frozen apples…lol. I sometimes keep my produce drawer too cold an accidentally freeze (and ruin) my produce!
Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) recently posted..Natures Pharmacy- Fun Food Facts- Diet Pills

17 Christin@purplebirdblog December 15, 2010 at 10:46 am

I used to love my stash of stuff in a drawer when I worked in an office! Secret PB hiding places are the best! 🙂
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..A Glittery Mess

18 movesnmunchies December 15, 2010 at 10:47 am

love the return to the gym and love the breakki BUT you totally skimped on that pb… !!
movesnmunchies recently posted..Healthy Foodie Favs

19 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) December 15, 2010 at 10:50 am

PB wouldn’t last two seconds in a desk near me!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Procrastinating

20 Ali December 15, 2010 at 11:08 am

Glad you got back! I am going to try to do the same thing tomorrow morning!
Ali recently posted..Curveball…

21 Marina December 15, 2010 at 11:19 am

I always feel a bit stupid in the gym, not really knowing what and how to do it 😀
But I quickly stop with that and just do my thing

22 Megan December 15, 2010 at 11:20 am

I am going to be getting back into the gym Thursday. I know what you mean about the apartment workout machines….they always feel like toys that are about to break.

23 Katie December 15, 2010 at 11:35 am

I have not been to my gym for a while either

2 reasons

Its cold as heck out to get up early, start the car, let it defrost!

and

I would so love to have a gym buddy!

24 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine December 15, 2010 at 11:46 am

I love the jar of PB in your desk drawer. I have a feeling I could never do that though- PB is one of those foods I have ZERO control over!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Warm and Fuzzy

25 Kacy December 15, 2010 at 12:17 pm

I wish I could get up and go to the gym more often in the mornings. It would make me feel better about paying for it…
Kacy recently posted..Kick in the workout pants

26 Halley(Blunder Construction) December 15, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Good for you! I feel like its cliche sometimes to get back into a gym routine around this time of year. The gym on campus is always PACKED (even worse after New Year’s)… but I live in New England, so the arctic temperatures might also have something to do with it!

27 Kelly December 15, 2010 at 1:55 pm

It was sooooooo hard to get up and to the gym this morning, but I did it too! Good job!
Kelly recently posted..I Completely Forgot!

28 Kiran December 15, 2010 at 2:31 pm

I used to have a secret stash of yummy’s during my professional days! Good to know you have that as well 😉 I wasn’t alone 😉
Kiran recently posted..Sautéed Asparagus with Pecans

29 Katy (The Singing Runner) December 15, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Great workout…in the comfort of the indoors!
I had to endure 5 degree temperatures up here near DC this morning for my 5 miles! This Florida girl doesn’t do those temperatures!
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..30 Day To Go! And I’m a Guest Blogger!

30 Allie December 15, 2010 at 3:09 pm

It’s always nice to return to the gym after a long time. I’m a swimmer and I’m always at a school pool so when I get to go to the gym I’m like WOW! Haha, sorry about your icy apple 😡 I hope it warms up in FL for ya :o)
Allie recently posted..Little baker girl giveaway winner

31 Lisa (bakebikeblog) December 15, 2010 at 3:54 pm

hehe I am glad to see that I am not the only one with a secret PB stash at work 🙂
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..5 hours- 43 minutes and 59 seconds

32 Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life December 15, 2010 at 7:47 pm

I can’t believe how cold your apple got! Thats hilarious!

33 katie December 17, 2010 at 11:15 am

so funny – i have the same PB stashed at my desk 🙂
katie recently posted..I wish every day was negro day

34 Lacey @ Lake Life December 18, 2010 at 6:20 pm

I admire you for doing the Kettlebell workout at the gym!

I, too, have an emergency stash of food in my desk drawer! Way better than running to the vending machine or going without.
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..12 Days of Christmas Songs- Day 4