Celebrating with the Office

by Meghann on December 14, 2010

‘Tis the season for relaxed deadlines, end of year bonuses (I wish!), last minute PTO, and free lunches from the office.

Yep, it’s Christmas time and today my office celebrated with a holiday lunch courtesy of our company’s executive team.

Lunch was at Antonio’s Restaurant in Maitland and it was oddly reminiscent of last year’s lunch. Same room, same menu, and same people. πŸ™‚

Hi Josh!

IMG_0668.jpg

There was a basket of bread that I stole a delicious buttery piece of.

The Iceberg Wedge Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing (a favorite of my Dad’s – it reminds me of him everything I see it)

My 1/2 order of cheese Ravioli.

And the side order of vegetables. Antonios has the best veggies – they’re grilled with very little oil and are so fresh and crisp. Love them.

After lunch we headed back to the office for a potluck dessert.

So many delicious choices! It was hard deciding what to dig into. πŸ™‚

IMG_0692.JPG IMG_0693.JPG

IMG_0688.jpg IMG_0694.JPG

IMG_0698.JPG IMG_0699.JPG

[side note] everyone was scared to try my No Bake Cookies. They all assumed they were healthy and not tasty. Bah humbug. But, as soon as I made a person try one, they loved them. No faith. They have no faith.

They were tasty – I swear! πŸ™‚

I stuck to my normal dessert buffet mind set and left behind the store bought goodies and instead had a bite of all the homemade desserts on the table.

Loved them all, but that whipped cream parfait? A-MA-ZING! πŸ™‚

Present time!

IMG_0681.jpg

My office participates in a ‘Grinchmas’ gift exchange where we each bring a gift and steal from each other. It’s quite fun. πŸ™‚

I brought a bottle of wine and an iTunes gift card. My rule in any gift exchange situation is to always bring something I wouldn’t mind going home with. The bottle of wine and gift card would have been something I would have happily stolen for myself. πŸ˜‰

IMG_0684.jpg

Liquor, Liquor, and more Liquor seemed to be the themed for this year’s exchange. πŸ™‚ I had a bottle of Grey Goose in my hands at one point, but it was snapped right of from under me the next turn. Dratz.

IMG_0709.JPG IMG_0712.JPG

I walked away with the gag gift of all gag gifts – a bag full of re-gifts.

A vacuum flask, coffee maker, and mini grill. Yep, it’s safe to say it’s a bag of re-gifts. I guess I know what I’ll be bringing for the next gift exchange I’m a part of.

IMG_0726.jpg

Win some. You loose some. πŸ˜‰

The party carried on for the rest of the work day. I enjoyed swapping Christmas stories with my co-workers and we were all happy to take a little break from the craziest of the release of our latest upgrades this past weekend.

After work I headed to Hot Yoga for a bit of a warm up in our current cold front. I felt strong during my practice today and went with it. Sometimes I feel like I can barely keep up and some days I feel I can do anything. Today was one of those do anything days. πŸ™‚

Dinner was quick and easy.

A microwaved sweet potato topped with black beans, corn, mushrooms, plain yogurt, olives, and fresh cilantro.

My last hunk of bread – which is from the Publix Deli since so many of you were wondering.

I’m pooped.

Stay warm out there!

Good Night!

1 Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) December 14, 2010 at 10:04 pm

We had our work holiday lunch today, too, and I’m impressed you always feel comfortable enough to bring out your camera and take photos with coworkers. They all know I have a blog but I feel weird taking out my camera at work events, you know?
Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) recently posted..Getting Over Guilt

2 Meghann December 15, 2010 at 9:45 am

I’ve been doing it for over two years – it’s second nature to everyone. They’re actually more surprised when I’m not take photos of everything. πŸ™‚

3 Ali December 14, 2010 at 10:07 pm

You’re office always seems to be doing something fun. You are very lucky to work in an environment like that πŸ™‚ I worked in an office once as a summer job and it was not fun at all.
Ali recently posted..Workout Songs

4 Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life December 14, 2010 at 10:08 pm

Looks like you had a fun day at the office! I love office parties and gift exchanges! I think your gift would have been something I would want too!

5 Katie December 14, 2010 at 10:11 pm

Both of those salads look awesome. Wedge salads are so refreshing are I loove anything with black olives!
Katie recently posted..Lauren’s birthday- wooo

6 Brie @ Brie Fit December 14, 2010 at 10:13 pm

I’m way jealous. We are currently in a salary/hiring/bonus freeze at work so for Christmas, we get/do jack squat. There was a fruitcake in the break room today…great.

At least I have a job, though! I’m thankful for that!
Brie @ Brie Fit recently posted..Show me your smile!

7 Molly December 14, 2010 at 10:16 pm

lol @ “celerbating”

8 Julianne December 14, 2010 at 10:20 pm

I am the same way with gift exchanges – I brought a bottle of wine and stemless wine glasses for one I am a part of on Friday. Hope I get something just as good!

9 Mimi December 14, 2010 at 10:26 pm

When you showed the first picture of the dessert table, I was already drooling over the triffle … Looks ah-mazing!

10 Nicole December 14, 2010 at 10:38 pm

What a dessert spread! I would have ran for the truffle.

11 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) December 14, 2010 at 10:39 pm

I like your mentality about dessert buffets πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Procrastinating

12 Lew (ashandlewplus2.com) December 14, 2010 at 10:39 pm

I am glad you know how to have fun!!! By the way which of the desserts did you eat? Was it worth it.. That is something I always have to ask myself and for some reason the desserts are always worth it!!
Have a great night
Lew
Lew (ashandlewplus2.com) recently posted..A Day in Whistler Village

13 Meghann December 15, 2010 at 9:57 am

My co-workers were making fun of me because I was breaking all the brownies and cookies in half, but that’s my game plan. That way I get to try a bite of everything that looks good. I also stay away from store bought cookies and instead try the homemade ones that people actually took time to prepare. πŸ™‚ Good dessert is always worth it in my opinion (in moderation)

14 Lew (ashandlewplus2.com) December 14, 2010 at 10:41 pm

That was supposed to say which dessert did you not eat?
Lew (ashandlewplus2.com) recently posted..A Day in Whistler Village

15 Lauren December 14, 2010 at 10:45 pm

It just means more no bake cookies for you! I totally would have tried them.
Lauren recently posted..Mix it Up

16 Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 14, 2010 at 10:55 pm

re-gifting…that’s what the holidays are all about….kidding. kind of. πŸ™‚

dessert potluck. can i come?

i NEVER bother telling anyone 99% of the things are make are vegan and GF. They think they’re healthy then. People “claim” they want to eat healthy, but they don’t, i.e. they didnt even want to try your healthy cookies. So i never tell anyone anything anymore. I only tell them after the fact, that the chocolate mousse they were oohing and aahing over was really avocado and agave and cocoa powder, type thing πŸ™‚
Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) recently posted..Caribbean Citrus &amp Veggie Stir Fry- Favorite Type of Cuisine

17 Julie @ Wearing Mascara December 14, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Fun! I actually think your “regift” gift is pretty nice! Coffee makers rock! πŸ™‚
Julie @ Wearing Mascara recently posted..One month of Bikram

18 Gabriela @ Fro-Yo Lover December 14, 2010 at 11:04 pm

I bet you guys had a blast πŸ˜€
Gabriela @ Fro-Yo Lover recently posted..And I Go Back To December All The Time

19 [email protected] December 14, 2010 at 11:29 pm

I always feel like the “steal” Christmas gift exchanges would be awkward- are they?
[email protected] recently posted..Update!!

20 Meghann December 15, 2010 at 10:25 am

No, they’re really fun! You just have to do it with a group of people who all have fun attitudes towards it πŸ™‚

21 [email protected] December 15, 2010 at 12:12 am

We also had an office party tonight, and we did an ornament exchange! I got the glitteriest ornaments EVER… it’s still all over me! πŸ™‚
[email protected] recently posted..A Glittery Mess

22 Alison December 15, 2010 at 12:35 am

Hey Meghann,

I’m thinking of getting a Garmin Forerunner 305, which I see that you have. What do you think of it? Since I live in Minnesota, I only run outside about 5 mths/year (although that will be changing when I move to Sacramento next year!). Is the Garmin useful inside on the treadmill at all or is it just an outside thing?

23 Meghann December 15, 2010 at 10:26 am

LOVE my Garmin Forerunner 305! But if you don’t purchase the foot pad extra then it’s pretty useless inside. But even the few months your run outside during the year I would say it’s 100% worth it to purchase! πŸ™‚

24 Katie G (http://justrollwithitblog.blogspot.com) December 15, 2010 at 6:12 pm

Answers my same question! The Garmin 305 is currently on my Christmas Wish List!
Katie G (http://justrollwithitblog.blogspot.com) recently posted..The Good- The Bad- and the YUMMY

25 Laura December 15, 2010 at 1:14 am

Fun. πŸ™‚ It’s like Secret Santa with an annoying twist, heh.

No worries keeping warm at least! It was 86 degrees today in New Zealand; I’m sweltering!

26 movesnmunchies December 15, 2010 at 2:03 am

woah that dessert plate is some serious business- thats what I’m talking about!
movesnmunchies recently posted..Healthy Foodie Favs

27 Kim @ Kim Lives Healthy December 15, 2010 at 6:57 am

That dinner looks like something I’d eat at Tijuana Flats – yummm
Kim @ Kim Lives Healthy recently posted..Cold Weather Smoothie

28 Matt December 15, 2010 at 7:26 am

Dude those gifts are awesome? A grill?

Perfect for a foodie πŸ˜‰
Matt recently posted..Fresh and Clean

29 Katie December 15, 2010 at 7:26 am

Your holiday party looks like it was so nice!!!

Love WEDGE SALADS!!!!!!!!!!!! They rock!

Looks like you scored some sweet suff! Yay for the holidays! xoxo
Katie recently posted..Oh So Kind

30 Emily Malone December 15, 2010 at 7:52 am

It makes me sad that people wouldn’t try your cookies because they thought they were healthy. πŸ™ What does that say? People claim to want healthier options, and then skip right over them. Oh well, more for us!

31 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine December 15, 2010 at 7:57 am

HAHA, I love the idea of a Grinchmas. I would have taken the bottle of Grey Goose and RUN!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Warm and Fuzzy

32 Hope December 15, 2010 at 8:09 am

Your office party looks like so much fun!! I love the idea of Grinchmas! I think that is so creative. What a fun way to get everyone in your office in the holiday spirit! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..My Lunch Set My Mouth On Fire…

33 Allie December 15, 2010 at 8:10 am

Looks like you had a dun time with your office! It’s pretty cool that you sall had a potluck DESSERT! I agree about the homemade stuff, it’s always the best :o)
Allie recently posted..Little baker girl giveaway winner

34 Sarah @ See Sarah Graduate December 15, 2010 at 9:08 am

Looks like a fun day! And it’s a shame you didn’t come home with the Grey Goose! πŸ˜‰
Sarah @ See Sarah Graduate recently posted..DΓ©jΓ  vu

35 Erin December 15, 2010 at 9:40 am

My office’s holiday party was last night and we did the gift-stealing game, too. For some reason we call it “Yankee Swap”. Ours usually revolves around alcohol as well. Glad to know it’s not just us!
Erin recently posted..Deep Freeze

36 Brittney December 15, 2010 at 9:44 am

Mmmm, that dessert spread looked delish!
Brittney recently posted..Blogger Fun At The Cowfish

37 Kacy December 15, 2010 at 10:43 am

Our Christmas lunch is always at the same Chinese buffet. I’m kind of hoping they do it on the day I’m taking PTO this year, haha. Your lunch looks great though, and I love no bake cookies!

38 RunningOnCoffee December 15, 2010 at 11:23 am

I feel full just looking at all the food at your lunch! (and dessert).
I know where people are coming from, afraid of the “healthy” dessert. One time at a friend’s house, another guest was really offering up these awesome brownies she made. I took a bite and wanted to vomit. I threw away the rest of the brownie when no one was looking and told my husband to pass on them, because something was seriously wrong with them. Later, she was bragging to everyone about how they were vegan brownies and how you could hardly tell they weren’t regular brownies! (Wrong!)

My Christmas party for work is today after school, looking forward to it! Drinks and appetizers and raffles for gift baskets and door prizes. I’m pretty excited! I forgot all about our “elf exchange” we’re doing though– people were supposed to bring in something from home that they don’t use, and do the stealing thing like at your exchange (is that a White Elephant?) Anyway, I’ve been busy and you just reminded me that I completely forgot to look for something. Oh well!
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Recipe- Pumpkin Carrot Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting

39 Claire December 15, 2010 at 11:46 am

Hi there! Your blog is quickly becoming my favorite for a few reasons!

1.) You seem so normal and not totally robotic in nature. Some healthy living blogs make their lives out to be un-obtainable. I like how you are just getting back to the gym as well as switch up your exercise. (That’s like me)

2.) You work. It would be oh so nice to blog for a living but I don’t and I enjoy someone who intertwines their blog with their regular day to day life.

3.) Good food, good stories, good look!

Keep it up! πŸ™‚

40 Kate December 15, 2010 at 12:43 pm

I have decided I would like to receive your co-worker Josh as a yankee swap item. Just sayin’.

41 Kate December 15, 2010 at 12:46 pm

er….I mean…. the desserts looked delicious.

42 Kiran December 15, 2010 at 2:28 pm

A foodies’ galore! I have a huge sweet tooth and look at that parfait πŸ˜‰
Kiran recently posted..SautΓ©ed Asparagus with Pecans

43 Danielle December 15, 2010 at 5:18 pm

So many comments…

What a nice lunch w/ your coworkers! How nice of them!

My office is having a holiday exchange Friday too… I wasn’t going to participate, but you just convinced me!

Plus, your dinner looks so simple but so yummy! I must re-create ASAP.
Danielle recently posted..Creamy Orzo

44 Karen December 15, 2010 at 7:54 pm

our company is doing our 1st dessert potluck tomorrow. All I can think is – that is going to be a whole lot of dessert! I have a feeling we will be eating those dessrts for days πŸ™‚

45 Kristen December 16, 2010 at 2:33 am

If you don’t have one of those grills they are actually really good to grill veggies on!

46 Lacey @ Lake Life December 17, 2010 at 9:26 pm

I would have been totally happy bringing those gifts home! My hospital is so cheap that we had to use PTO when we went out to lunch yesterday, had to pay for our own meals and there was no gift exchange πŸ™
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..12 Days of Christmas Songs- Day 4