Let Me Explain

by Meghann on December 13, 2010

morningtweet

Since I had a few questions on the above tweet this morning, I thought I would explain.

Exhibit A:                                                                Exhibit B:

DSCN0088 IMG_0592

(sweater purchased from American Eagle circa 2006)

See the difference?

In Exhibit A I layered the v-neck sweater over a low-cut form fitting spaghetti strap tank top. I felt self conscious of my exposed chest and subsequent cleavage.

In Exhibit B the sweater is layered over a plain ole white t-shirt.  I feel cute, confident, and sexy.

Why, oh why, did no one tell me back in the day the difference a t-shirt makes when layering a sweater? I feel so much more sophisticated wearing the sweater today than I did wearing it 3 years ago (when the Exhibit A photo was snapped). I guess we learn something new about fashion every day? πŸ˜‰

Exhibit C: (look how little Abbie was!)

DSCN0084

And now I want to go to the mountains…

Moving on.

IMG_0579

Mmmm… sausage on a salad. Can’t go wrong there, right? πŸ˜‰

IMG_0586

I reheated last night’s spicy italian sausage on the stove top and used it as a meaty salad topper. The base was made up of arugula, pickles, cherry tomatoes, and carrot. Parmesan Cheese and a drizzle of homemade honey mustard dressing (honey mustard, olive oil, & vinegar) finished the salad off.

IMG_0585

With a nice chunk of a multi grain baguette.

IMG_0582

IMG_0588

Lunch is served. πŸ™‚

1 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) December 13, 2010 at 2:28 pm

That’s a lovely sweater! You’re right though- the tshirt does look better with it! πŸ™‚

2 Marina December 13, 2010 at 2:28 pm

I like the both versions πŸ˜€
But yeah, I understand how you feel better in the B version.
Your lunch looks great, specially with that amazing looking bread!

3 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine December 13, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Tshirt is definitely the winner. I used to wear “henley” tops with tank tops under them all the time too- but a tshirt is so much comfier!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Snap Crackle Pop

4 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) December 13, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Either way, I love your sweater!

5 movesnmunchies December 13, 2010 at 2:41 pm

totally love the new sweater pairing! and love that salad too.. that bread looks like the kind from the Cheesecake Factory!
movesnmunchies recently posted..Healthy Foodie Favs

6 allison @ livingoneday December 13, 2010 at 2:44 pm

i had the same sweater in tan and i miss it!! mine had a hole so i got rid of it, but it was seriously the greatest sweater!
allison @ livingoneday recently posted..guest blogging tonight!

7 Marci December 13, 2010 at 2:45 pm

You look more confident the second time around, in addition to what you said. Cute sweater, looks better with leggings too.
Marci recently posted..Sweet New Week

8 Hope December 13, 2010 at 2:48 pm

I totally know what you mean about wearing a tank top or a t-shirt under a sweater like that. I would feel more comfy in a t-shirt too! Love the salad! It looks so colorful.
Hope recently posted..My Lunch Set My Mouth On Fire…

9 Sarah for Real December 13, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Mmmm sausage (twss).

I agree with you on the sweater. The tee makes the deep vee nice and long, lengthening your whole look. The tank chops it off and ruins the whole long, lean effect.

10 Jess@atasteofconfidence December 13, 2010 at 2:51 pm

You look so much better with the tee under the shirt! Thanks for the tip!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..Update!!

11 AnneWF December 13, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Yes, I like the t-shirt version better too. But what I really noticed was how different your body looks from then to now. Wow! You look great, so fit and toned, long and strong and lean. All that hard work really shows.

12 Laura December 13, 2010 at 2:52 pm

haha I have the same sweater still in my closet! I prefer to wear a tank top, rather than a tshirt. like the length of tank tops. t-shirts are usually short on me.

13 Christin@purplebirdblog December 13, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Cute sweater!! And I am drooling over that hunk of baguette!
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Feasting With Friends

14 Angela December 13, 2010 at 3:01 pm

YUM! Can’t stop staring at that baguette. I need whole grains NOW.
Angela recently posted..Daft Punk soundtrack electrifies eagerness for the upcoming TRON- Legacy

15 sweeter salt December 13, 2010 at 3:04 pm

I think the tank looks good, perhaps a higher cut one could work better?

Also, yes to sausage!

Laura

16 grocery goddess jen December 13, 2010 at 3:04 pm

I had sausage on my salad today, too! Of course, it was Tofurkey Keilbasa Sausage, but hey, it was awesome.

Yes, the tee under the sweater looks much more sophisticated. Good call.
grocery goddess jen recently posted..Lift off

17 Allie December 13, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Smart idea w/ the sweater! I always feel more comfortable when I am less exposed :p The salad sounds YUUUUMMYYYY, Ive never had sausage in a salad!
Allie recently posted..Little baker girl giveaway winner

18 Shannon @ Philadelphia Phitness Pharmacy December 13, 2010 at 3:07 pm

1) Yummy salad. I wish I had sausage and could recreate it up in Philadelphia, but I am all out πŸ™
2) I think you looked great in both pictures. Exhibit B is definitely a little bit more polished and office friendly though. I can’t wait to try the T shirt under the sweater trick. I always wear tight fitting tank tops underneath.
Shannon @ Philadelphia Phitness Pharmacy recently posted..Brain Food

19 Ashley December 13, 2010 at 3:11 pm

That sweater is really cute. I definitely like the tshirt look better.
Ashley recently posted..Lazy Day

20 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 13, 2010 at 3:12 pm

I think I had the same sweater too! Good ol’ AE.. I feel old walking into that store now!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Baby it’s Cold Outside

21 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday December 13, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Exhibit A looks just as cute!
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

22 Jasmine @ Eat Move Write December 13, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Oh man. It’s never a good idea to go down memory lane when it comes to clothing. Age is wisdom, girlfriend.
Jasmine @ Eat Move Write recently posted..815 Pictures &amp The Vacation Hangover

23 Jessica @ The Process of Healing December 13, 2010 at 3:18 pm

The t-shirt does look better but I think it’s mostly because you seem to have so much more confidence!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Balls

24 Paige @ Running Around Normal December 13, 2010 at 3:18 pm

I actually think you look great in both pictures!
Paige @ Running Around Normal recently posted..Hibernation To Me and the Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever

25 Ali December 13, 2010 at 3:24 pm

You definitely look more confident in picture B. I used to always wear “cami’s” aka the tight form fitting tank’s under my sweaters and now I don’t. You’re right it makes all the difference–sometimes I think you just need to learn the hard way what looks good on your body πŸ™‚
Ali recently posted..Workout Songs

26 Maria @ runningcupcake December 13, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Cute top and goes really well with the leggings πŸ™‚

27 Beth @ Will Run for Books December 13, 2010 at 3:33 pm

That does look great on you!

Sadly, a deep V with a crewneck Tshirt under it like that would look terrible on my large chest….just not flattering unless you have small buubies. I always have to go with a scoop neck.
Beth @ Will Run for Books recently posted..What I’m Reading Now

28 Sarah J December 13, 2010 at 3:38 pm

I have that sweater too! I still have it, but I still wear it with a tank underneath. I think I’ll try the t-shirt style now though!

29 Lisa (bakebikeblog) December 13, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Love the t-shirt combo!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..5 hours- 43 minutes and 59 seconds

30 Erin December 13, 2010 at 4:18 pm

The tank looks fine. It’s just that trends change and you’re thinner.

31 Lish December 13, 2010 at 4:19 pm

I really hate how some tanks/camis cause static cling when paired with a long sweater like that. I really like them paired with a tee and it’s nice that Old Navy is always having sales on their standard basic colored tees.

32 CB December 13, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Um, of course it looks better on the right, you are much thinner!

Sorry to be the Captain Obvious on the thread, LOL.

33 Amy December 13, 2010 at 7:53 pm

So thinner automatically = better?

Let’s please not equate thinness with superiority.
Amy recently posted..jingle all the way

34 Megan December 13, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Uh, yeah. Here, thinner looks better.

35 emily December 13, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Like!

36 CB December 13, 2010 at 10:49 pm

I wasn’t making a sweeping generalization… just commenting that, in this case, Meghann looks better in the second pic because her body does. Again, it’s just obvious.

I love the whole “love yourself no matter” mantra (and I believe in it!) but don’t be so defensive. She looks better in the second pic, and it isn’t because of an undershirt.

37 Amy December 14, 2010 at 8:31 am

Of course – I agree that fitness makes you look good. πŸ™‚ I just think it’s REALLY important for women to be conscious of how we use our language, and that saying that someone looks better strictly because she is thinner puts all the emphasis on her weight. We are so much more than that.
Amy recently posted..jingle all the way

38 Kiran December 13, 2010 at 4:50 pm

I’m also very conscious about my top half πŸ˜‰ Love your tshirt idea!
And the lunch looks Ah-May-Zing!!!
Kiran recently posted..Almond Cookies

39 jen December 13, 2010 at 4:51 pm

I think you look great in both, but it matters how you feel and you definitely look more confident in the 2nd picture πŸ™‚

I’m totally making your honey mustard dressing, sounds so easy!! Thank you πŸ™‚

Jen
jen recently posted..Emotional

40 Rebecca December 13, 2010 at 6:46 pm

It was very “in” back then. You were just a part of the fad…as was I at that point :).

41 Mimi December 13, 2010 at 7:16 pm

(Sigh) So typical of me to think the best looking part of your meal is the bread…
It actually looks a lot like the bread served at the Cheesecake Factory!
Mimi recently posted..Banana phone

42 Katie December 13, 2010 at 7:27 pm

I kind of like the tank-top look better… maybe something higher-cut so no cleavage? Whatever makes you happy! As long as you feel good wearing your sweater, that’s all that matters.

43 Lauren December 13, 2010 at 7:32 pm

I am so into the tshirt under the sweater. I always feel so uncomfortable with my bare chest showing in the winter.
Lauren recently posted..Holiday Gala Getaway

44 Laura December 13, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Love the sweater!
I would never think to layer a t-shirt under a sweater like that. Very cute!
Laura recently posted..Red Velvet Cupcakes

45 Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 13, 2010 at 8:15 pm

wardrobing and styling our clothes is something that we all get better at with age (well most women do) and I look back at some of my old get-ups and wonder why no one told me certain things, too! You look great, in either shot, btw! πŸ™‚
Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) recently posted..Drinks on the Beach- Shots at Home

46 Katy (The Singing Runner) December 13, 2010 at 9:06 pm

I never thought to layer a tee under a sweater….looks adorable! πŸ™‚
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..30 Day To Go! And I’m a Guest Blogger!

47 Allison K December 13, 2010 at 10:31 pm

I would look terrible with the t-shirt under-neath. I wear cami’s under all of my v-neck sweaters, but they are modest.
Allison K recently posted..Where am I

48 Reenie December 14, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Cjane (blog I read) loves these half tees. I haven’t tried them ~ but they look very comfy. http://www.halftees.com/shop

49 Jessi @ Quirky Cookery December 14, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I like both versions, too. The first looks like casual (like hanging out with family or going to a casual restaurant), while the second looks more business (so something you’d wear to the office). If the boobage made you uncomfortable, though, then by all means, you should definitely go with the latter!

50 Lacey @ Lake Life December 17, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Love the sweater with the T shirt! I don’t think those kind of sweaters ever go out of style πŸ™‚
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..12 Days of Christmas Songs- Day 4