Cool Runnings

by Meghann on December 13, 2010

This is how a Floridian dresses for a run in thirty degree temps. Brrr….

IMG_4014

It’s suppose to get in the 20s tonight. I had flashbacks to Disney. Not cool.

I’ll admit when I got out of bed this morning and I could practically  see my breath in my apartment (typical Floridian – blasts the AC 10 months out of the year and refuses to put the heat on. ever. ) I was NOT looking forward to putting my gear on to run this morning.

Stepping outside and feeling the instant force of the wind immediately made me want to run upstairs, back under my covers, and cuddle with my mini heater (aka Maddie). BUT the longing to run overcame that urge for warmth. I layered up as best as I could and repeated to myself over and over again “Once you start running you will warm up. Once you start running you will warm up.”

Good thing those words of encouragement were true. Not even a half mile in I was feeling good. My body temp had stabilized and the only thing the wind was really effecting was my exposed nose and tearful eyes.

I made it through my four mile run without a problem and was thankful I had pushed myself outside to do so.

IMG_4015

Nothing like a windburn glow to brighten up any morning. 😉

Cold run = hot breakfast!

IMG_4023

HOT Cinnamon Apples topped with Almond Butter, Ricotta Cheese, Chocolate Chips, and Granola.

IMG_4029

A bowl of sweet, wintery heaven.

IMG_4028

Maddie agreed. Obviously.

IMG_4025

In case you missed it:

And I think this pretty much sums it up.

tweet1

I’ve got a busy day ahead of me!

Happy Monday everyone!

1 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 13, 2010 at 9:19 am

Looks like some delicious breakfast you had there!! It’s -22C here today and there’s absolutely no freakin way I’m running anywhere but on the treadmill. Glad you had a fun weekend! 🙂
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Baby it’s Cold Outside

2 Sarah @ Going on Goals December 13, 2010 at 9:26 am

I am always glad when I make it out in the cold morning to run! It is amazing how quickly you do warm-up!!

I wear a similar winter weather running outfit. The only difference, is I wear a polar fleece vest (yes the one that was big in 2000) over my under armor and long sleeve t-shirt.

If you come up with a way to keep your nose warm, let me know!! 😉
Sarah @ Going on Goals recently posted..Jingle All the Way 10k

3 Sarah @ See Sarah Graduate December 13, 2010 at 9:27 am

Normally I’m one to brave the cold temps for a run but unfortunately we have about 6 inches of snow on the ground and blizzard like conditions so I’m stuck inside today. :/
Sarah @ See Sarah Graduate recently posted..And the verdict is…

4 Jamie @ Food in Real Life December 13, 2010 at 9:31 am

OOoh I like the idea of adding ricotta to a hot breakfast bowl! I’m planning on a run in the snow today. EEK!
Jamie @ Food in Real Life recently posted..Exercise with Me – CHALLENGE

5 Dori December 13, 2010 at 9:42 am

At least you didn’t have to pull out the sweatpants with PINK scrawled across your tush. THAT was the coldest running day!
Dori recently posted..DSB Free Refine Method Class Recap

6 Meghann December 13, 2010 at 9:48 am

haha – nah – I already wore those on Saturday. 😉

7 michelle December 13, 2010 at 9:46 am

I love running in the cold. Beats running in the heat anyday
michelle recently posted..Marathon Training

8 Kath December 13, 2010 at 9:47 am

It’s warmer here in Boston!!
Kath recently posted..Departure Day

9 grocery goddess jen December 13, 2010 at 9:55 am

Eeek! It’s too cold here to go out, but even if it was as “warm” as it is where you are, I still would have stayed inside. You are a dedicated woman!
grocery goddess jen recently posted..Lift off

10 Christin@purplebirdblog December 13, 2010 at 10:02 am

There is *no* way I’d run in the cold, so major props to those of you that do!!
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Feasting With Friends

11 Melissa December 13, 2010 at 10:15 am

Wow, it’s in the 50s in NYC! Breakfast looks amazing.
Melissa recently posted..One Night Out- One Night In

12 Ali @ Ali on the Run December 13, 2010 at 10:15 am

Haha, I love how Maddie is staring up at you in that top photo. Too cute!
Ali @ Ali on the Run recently posted..Back to the Grind

13 Kelly December 13, 2010 at 10:15 am

Ha, I woke up to a coating of snow on the ground this morning and instantly pushed my workout until tonight.
Kelly recently posted..Taking Advantage of DC

14 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) December 13, 2010 at 10:17 am

Happy Monday! Your breakfast looks so good. I’ve never had ricotta cheese plain before… is it sweet?
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Procrastinating

15 Meghann December 13, 2010 at 10:46 am

I find that it’s naturally sweet, but the chocolate chips added in helps. 🙂 I would suggest adding a bit of honey if you are going to eat it plain, but as a topping for cereal it’s fine plain.

16 Brenna December 13, 2010 at 10:26 am

Oh if you only saw what I wear in -8 degrees C !!
Brenna recently posted..what you must do in paris- part i

17 Cynthia December 13, 2010 at 10:32 am

It’s 20 degrees here and I have the worst time motivating myself to go outside and run when it’s that cold. I have been doing a lot of indoor workouts.
Cynthia recently posted..Fresh Veggies

18 Katy (The Singing Runner) December 13, 2010 at 10:36 am

I’m like you, I refuse to turn on my heat during this time of the year! Haha! 🙂

I love running in the cold, once I start that is. Before you begin, it’s not too appealing!
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..30 Day To Go! And I’m a Guest Blogger!

19 movesnmunchies December 13, 2010 at 10:54 am

ahh what a lovely breakfast! I’ve never heard of ricotta cheese with sweet flavors!!?! hmm i wonder how that tastess!
movesnmunchies recently posted..Healthy Foodie Favs

20 Sarah December 13, 2010 at 11:01 am

Hahaha I did a biathlon this weekend and I was thrilled that it was 30 degrees. Its freezing here in Pittsburgh!

21 Corey @ the runner's cookie December 13, 2010 at 11:26 am

There is something wrong when boston is 50 and orlando is 30! I’m so intrigued by your ricotta on breakfast foods – I imagine it would taste like stirring cottage cheese into hot breakfasts?

22 grace December 13, 2010 at 11:29 am

oof. here in minneapolis it’s currently -30 degrees F with 17 inches of snow on the ground. you make me long for the days of being able to run in 30 degree above zero temps!!! that would be a heatwave right now.

23 Marina December 13, 2010 at 11:38 am

I seriously think I would die if I went running when it’s below 0°C. Freeeeezing.
I admire you 🙂

24 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday December 13, 2010 at 11:45 am

I like running in colder temperatures, as long as it’s not snowy. Traction in the snow sucks ass.
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

25 Alyson @ Nourished Fitness December 13, 2010 at 11:50 am

That breakfast looks perfect! How do you do your cinnamon apples?

26 Jess@atasteofconfidence December 13, 2010 at 11:51 am

Congrats on completing your run!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..Update!!

27 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather December 13, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Sometimes when its super chilly outside I over dress and then feel WAY too hot after a few minutes. I don’t like being cold though!

28 Jessica @ The Process of Healing December 13, 2010 at 12:07 pm

It’s hard to get out there sometimes but running in the winter used to be my FAVORITE time!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Balls

29 Matt December 13, 2010 at 12:16 pm

There was a wind chill of 8* here this morning. Beat that 😉
Matt recently posted..More Bread Please

30 Clare @ Fitting It All In December 13, 2010 at 12:57 pm

At least you got out there! Wind chill was -11 this morning so I’ve given up on morning runs for the winter 🙁
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..Sugar Coma Saturday

31 OrlandoPaula @ Eat, Watch, Run December 13, 2010 at 1:04 pm

It’s colder today in Orlando than in NYC and Boston. I learned that on the news this morning. hee.

Good for you getting out there! I usually wimp out and hit the treadmill at the gym or home.
OrlandoPaula @ Eat, Watch, Run recently posted..Paramore Goodness

32 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) December 13, 2010 at 2:00 pm

I hate going from a lovely warm house to the freezing outdoors! If its really cold I try and warm myself up before heading out with a little indoor workout 🙂
Lovely looking breakfast by the way!

33 Honey B. Nutrition December 13, 2010 at 2:05 pm

I never used to run in the cold. Recently I’ve just been going for it, as long as I dress appropriately it’s fine. I’ve yet to regret it once so far!
Honey B. Nutrition recently posted..Eat Food Not Too Much Sugar Mostly Plants

34 Ali December 13, 2010 at 3:27 pm

You do look cold! I’m from up north and I still don’t know how to bundle up for cold runs 😉
Ali recently posted..Workout Songs

35 Cold Weather Canadian Runner December 13, 2010 at 4:21 pm

My goodness I don’t think you (and so many other bloggers) know what cold weather running is. I would KILL to run in temperatures with just gloves and a hoodie. And it has actually really been bugging me when I see people saying “ohh it was so cold I almost couldn’t go for a run! and my eyes were all tears!” Please don’t take your “cold temperatures” for granted. You have not experienced cold weather runs. I run every single day in Edmonton Canada and temperatures RARELY go above freezing for 6 months. Add in a couple feet of snow too. Yesterday I woke up to a -25 C (-13 F) wind chill and a temperature of -18 C and it was snowing. I put on my regular layers: shirt, 2 fleece tops, windbreaker, 2 pairs of legging, thick socks, toque, face warmer, gloves under mitts. Plus I run while its still slightly dark out. It does not stop me because I enjoy it no matter what but I do of course wish it was warmer. I’d be overjoyed to wake up to your conditions.

36 Kiran December 13, 2010 at 5:43 pm

You are super strong and I’m super comfortable working out indoors 😀
Kiran recently posted..Almond Cookies

37 Laura December 13, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Loving the florida state sweatshirt!!

38 Laura December 13, 2010 at 8:00 pm

It’s about that cold in MI today! Brrr!
Laura recently posted..Red Velvet Cupcakes

39 Lacey @ Lake Life December 17, 2010 at 5:04 pm

I love how your wrapping paper matches your tree decorations! I do the same thing 🙂
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..12 Days of Christmas Songs- Day 4