Shop it out

by Meghann on December 12, 2010

So, how did Derek and I conclude Holiday Spirit 2010?

With a little Holiday shopping, of course.

Holiday shopping with the family. Isn’t that how all weekends in December end up being spent?

Derek and I had a little Christmas shopping to catch up on. I’m happy to report I walked out of the mall with one Christmas gift for someone else and three new shirts for myself. Ooppss. πŸ˜‰

Our morning started casually. I called out a few breakfast options for Derek to choose from and he picked smoothie.

Smoothie it was!

• Frozen Mango
  • Frozen Pineapple
  • Rolled Oats
  • Peanut Butter Powder
  • Chia Seeds
  • Almond Milk
  • Vanilla Yogurt
  • Almond Butter (topping)
  • Granola (topping)

It was pretty warm this morning, so the smoothie was nice and refreshing.

After breakfast we hit up Hot Yoga for a sweaty stretch. It was odd doing Hot Yoga in the daylight, but I enjoyed the smaller class and fast flow.

Derek had been to Hot Yoga once before and handled it wonderfully, but – as I told Derek – not every practice is created equal. Derek felt light headed for the most part and spent the majority of his practice in child’s pose. I was so proud of him for understanding his body’s limit and backing off rather than pushing forward. Yoga isn’t always about ‘keeping up’ it’s about discovering what YOUR body can do, not someone else’s. πŸ™‚

I had the last of last night’s Gingerbread Shingle as a post-yoga snack.

The rest of the day was spent at the mall. Shopping. Shopping. and More shopping.

With lunch thrown in at California Pizza Kitchen.

I started with the Smashed Pea and Parley Soup (tasty, but a tad watered down for my taste).

with bread

And Derek and I split the Goat Cheese and Pepper Pizza with the honey wheat crust.

The pizza was nice and thin – it basically melted in your mouth. It was a great lunch and I’m glad I got to spend time with Kelly, Anthony, and Ben.

A little shopping later…

Dinner time.

This was all Derek’s idea and I 100% supported it – Spicy Italian Sausage with Onions, Peppers, and Spinach on a Multi-Grain loaf Bun.

Mouth watering delicious and really easy to create. Dinner was ready in 15 minutes – love that.

On the side some steamed fresh green beans.

Dessert: the last (:() of my Pumpkin Ice Cream.

I better get wrapping!

Good Night!

1 Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 12, 2010 at 8:53 pm

“Yoga isn’t always about β€˜keeping up’ it’s about discovering what YOUR body can do, not someone else’s. “–
That is soooo true! I have been teaching (on and off) for 10 yrs and I wish all students had that little voice, or supportive friend/partner, urging them to do that!
πŸ™‚
Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) recently posted..GF Peanut Butter Marshmallow Bars with Vegan Chocolate Frosting

2 Jess@atasteofconfidence December 12, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Pumpkin ice cream…yum! At least you got one gift, right?
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..Update!!

3 Katy (The Singing Runner) December 12, 2010 at 8:56 pm

Mmmmm your breakfast looks great! πŸ™‚

I’m intrigued by hot yoga! Seems like a lot of bloggers do it!

Have a great evening! πŸ™‚
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..30 Day To Go! And I’m a Guest Blogger!

4 Erika @ FoodFitnessFun December 12, 2010 at 8:56 pm

I still have yet to finish my Christmas shopping! I hate being a procrastinator! πŸ˜›
Erika @ FoodFitnessFun recently posted..A Fritatta Popeye Would Be Proud Of

5 Ali December 12, 2010 at 9:06 pm

I am still so intimidated by yoga even though I took a class my last semester of college. I should really look into finding some studios around where I live and experimenting.
Sounds like you had a wonderful holiday weekend πŸ™‚ those are the best!!

6 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) December 12, 2010 at 9:08 pm

I went holiday shopping and ended up getting stuff for myself! I’m horrible… but at least I know what I’m getting for everyone else :)_
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Procrastinating

7 Ashley December 12, 2010 at 9:30 pm

I haven’t even started my Christmas shopping. Looks like you had a great day.
Ashley recently posted..Lazy Day

8 Matt December 12, 2010 at 10:01 pm

I have not even started my Christmas shopping yet. Oops πŸ˜‰
Matt recently posted..Sunday Confessional- Part 2

9 Christin@purplebirdblog December 12, 2010 at 10:03 pm

I have never done hot yoga, and I think I too would probably be in child’s pose a lot! That pizza looks fantastic!

10 Sana December 12, 2010 at 10:10 pm

I am glad you had a lovely day of shopping!
Sana recently posted..Unfun Sunday

11 breakingsilence @ Freshman -15 December 12, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Mmm, CPK. I love their artichoke and spinach thin crust pizza!
breakingsilence @ Freshman -15 recently posted..Study break

12 Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather December 12, 2010 at 10:39 pm

A smoothie in a bowk looks so much more hefty than in a glass.

That’s so cool that you and Derek went to hot yoga together. What a blast of a weekend πŸ™‚
Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather recently posted..My food budget- The good- the bad and the ugly

13 michelle December 12, 2010 at 10:48 pm

I went Christmas shopping today and bought things for myself. That always seems to happen.
michelle recently posted..Marathon Training

14 Jessica @ The Process of Healing December 13, 2010 at 12:10 am

Sounds like the perfect day! Gotta love Mellow Mushroom πŸ™‚
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Balls

15 Kiran December 13, 2010 at 12:49 am

Pumpkin Ice cream, so yum! I wonder if we can stock it up in our freezer?? Hehehe πŸ˜€ We were out for shopping too – so stoked with all the discounts! Can’t wait for our road trip coming up soon πŸ™‚
Kiran recently posted..Almond Cookies

16 Marina December 13, 2010 at 12:58 am

So true about yoga! I just started to teach my bf a few of yoga poses, it’s so much fun :))
I really have to do some Christmas shopping…

17 movesnmunchies December 13, 2010 at 1:30 am

WOW your breakfast sounds INCREDIBLE! looks like a fun day! i LOVE holiday shopping.. but not the crowds!
movesnmunchies recently posted..Healthy Foodie Favs

18 Nicole December 13, 2010 at 2:11 am

I wish they had hot yoga where I live, but they don’t. Looks like it was a good shopping day for you!
Nicole recently posted..Friendly Motivation

19 Brenna December 13, 2010 at 5:01 am

I’ve never tried pumpkin ice cream – it looks good!
Brenna recently posted..what you must do in paris- part i

20 Lauren December 13, 2010 at 6:46 am

That always happens to me too! I set out to shop for others and then it just happens to be one of those times when I find the “simply can NOT pass this up” deals for myself.
Looks like a great weekend!
Lauren recently posted..Holiday Gala Getaway

21 Faith @ lovelyascharged December 13, 2010 at 7:53 am

Now thats a dinner! My body is asking for so many smoothies lately but I’ve been SO stinkin’ cold that it’s the last thing I want…your recipe may make me get over that real fast though…mmm, mango and pineapple, like a (WARM) tropical island…
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..Comment on Andy Warhol and Betty Crocker Had a Lovechild by Lindsay @ Summit Sandwiches

22 Nicole December 13, 2010 at 10:07 am

Hey πŸ™‚

I have 2 running questions and you seem the best person to ask because your pretty cluey with running. Firstly, I understand the 10% rule but what mileage do I start at? Is 1.5 miles 2-3 times a week too much? Secondly, if my weekly mileage is 4.5 miles- can I run that all in one go safely? Or do I have to spread my weekly mileage over so many runs? I feel that I will never make it to having a long run once a week if I can’t use for example 70% of the miles on one run.

Thanks in advance.

23 Meghann December 13, 2010 at 10:44 am

HI Nicole,

What are you training for? I think as a general rule everyone can start at a 1 mile run, so I believe 1.5 miles 2-3 times a week is doable. I would grow my base from there with weekly mileage. If I was running 4.5 miles a week, I wouldn’t jump to 4.5 miles at once. I would work on increasing each individual run. So, building from 1.5 miles to 2 mile runs. Or have the 1.5 miles and have your long run be 3 miles and build from there. Does that make sense?

24 natalie (the sweets life) December 13, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Why is it that whenever you’re shopping for others you always find stuff for yourself? That totally happened to me this weekend…I’m not complaining though πŸ™‚

25 Lacey @ Lake Life December 17, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Goat cheese and pepper pizza? Sold!
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..12 Days of Christmas Songs- Day 4

26 Ffion December 20, 2010 at 7:08 pm

I keep buying myself stuff when I go present shopping too, ooopps!
Ffion recently posted..Weigh In &amp Eating Strategies