Happy Holidays from Disney World

by Meghann on December 12, 2010

Happy Holidays from Walt Disney World 2010! :)

I love Christmas time. I especially love Christmas time at the theme parks. It’s my favorite time to visit because each park always goes all out with decorations, shows, and various Holiday festivities.

Yesterday morning I was able to experience the Holiday Cheer at both Sea World (during the reindeer 5k) and at one of the happiest places on earth – Disney World! :)

IMG_0400.jpg

Derek and I had earned a free one day Disney park pass when we had volunteered at the Princess Half last March and have been holding onto them for a visit during the Holidays (I’m such a pass hoarder!). In the two years we have been dating we have had the opportunities to visit Epcot and Magic Kingdom, so it seemed logical to take in Hollywood Studios (aka MGM) this time around.

We arrived just around lunch time yesterday and basically sought out the first place we saw with food for lunch. We had made the mistake of leaving the house with little thought to food for the rest of the day – big mistake on our part – and it ended up nipping us in the butt all day. Learned my lesson on that one.

$10 worth of Turkey later we had lunch.

The sandwich was actually a very tasty one with a pesto aioli and fresh mozzarella.

IMG_0312.JPG IMG_0314.JPG IMG_0315.JPG

I was pleasantly surprised and gobbled it all up.

I especially enjoyed the option of fresh fruit on side – a nice cold apple that was sweet, crisp, and fresh.

My favorite parts of Hollywood Studios are the live performances of my favorite Disney Classics. :)

Fun fact: When I was little I begged my Mom to tell the school my name was Belle. She never did though. :(

IMG_0325.JPG IMG_0329.JPG

The rides are pretty sweet too. :)

And the beer – can’t forget the beer. ;)

My friends Jessica and Ryan joined us in the evening for lights, dinner, and gingerbread hunting.

Jessica and Ryan were recently engaged (congrats again you two!) and were sporting these spiffy ‘Just Engaged!’ buttons!

Man, as soon as Derek decides to put a ‘ring on it’ we are so coming to Disney and wearing those buttons. Jessica and Ryan were offered congrats all day and kept getting offered free stuff. Heck, I think next time I’m going to wear the button, ring or not.

I had a mini Luna Bar just as it was getting dark.

Our time at Hollywood Studios concluded with the Osborne Family Lights Display near the back of the park. Thousands of light synced with Holiday music? I’d say there’s no better way to get in the spirit. :)

Dinner was a little… complicated. We were all starving, but had no clue where to go. After a few wrong turns and a couple of rides on the Monorail we were determined to eat at a restaurant called the Wave in the Contemporary.

The menu was pretty $$, so I stuck with a couple of appetizers.

The Harvest Salad.

And Rock Shrimp Flatbread.

It was all good, but nothing memorable.

After dinner we decided to check out the famous Disney World Hotel Displays.

The Gingerbread Christmas Tree at the Contemporary. (see video here)

IMG_0469.jpg IMG_0474.jpg

And the life size Gingerbread House at the Floridian. (see video here)

I’ve always wanted to see this display, but have never had the chance to make it out to the hotel. The GIngerbread House is massive and every detail that goes into it is beyond impressive.

IMG_0487.jpg IMG_0495.jpg

There’s even a real shop inside selling Christmas goodies.

Derek and I split a GIngerbread Shingle.

Covered in Chocolate

It was soft, sweet, and delicious. I can’t wait to make my own gingerbread cookies this season. :)

We had plans for other hotel visits, but it was getting late and we were tired.

It was a great day to celebrate the holidays with friends. :)

1 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine December 12, 2010 at 9:17 am

Such a fun day!! It’s so cool that you live near Disney. I remember seeing Beauty and the Beast there when I was six or seven. Belle was always my favorite too…it looks like the performance hasn’t changed much in the last fifteen years! Hope you have a wonderful Sunday :)
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Chick Flick Night

2 alison December 12, 2010 at 9:34 am

No one does it like Disney. The decorations are so amazing. I watched a show on HGTV about the Disney Christmas decorations; it’s quite a production.
I’m glad you had a fun time.
alison recently posted..Meringue Powder-less No More

3 movesnmunchies December 12, 2010 at 9:39 am

woah that gingerbread house is INSANE..! food is always SO expensive at theme parks- why is that!? GRRr. at leas it was good.. usually I get an expensive sammie and it tastes dry and bland.. !
movesnmunchies recently posted..Healthy Foodie Favs

4 christina cadden December 12, 2010 at 9:43 am

Looks like so much fun!

5 michelle December 12, 2010 at 9:53 am

the decorations look gorgeous!
michelle recently posted..Marathon Training

6 grocery goddess jen December 12, 2010 at 9:59 am

That looks like a great time. And when is Derek gonna put a ring on it? :)
grocery goddess jen recently posted..Lift off

7 Laura December 12, 2010 at 9:59 am

I have always wanted to go to Disney during the holidays! It looks like so much fun!
Laura recently posted..Red Velvet Cupcakes

8 Matt December 12, 2010 at 10:10 am

Tell Derek to hurry up and propose so you can wear a button. LOL.
Matt recently posted..Scrambled Eggs with Kale- Garlic- and Goat Cheese

9 Sarah @ See Sarah Graduate December 12, 2010 at 10:15 am

Wow, looks like a great time! I will definitely have to add Disney to my list of places to see during the holidays! Beautiful! :)
Sarah @ See Sarah Graduate recently posted..And the verdict is…

10 Biz December 12, 2010 at 10:23 am

What a fun day! And when is that Derek of yours “gonna put a ring on it?”!

Love all the lights – we made the mistake of taking our kids to Disney over spring break once – our car rental cost more than our house rental!!

Enjoy your Sunday while I sit here in my pajamas waiting for the -25 degrees below zero wind chill heads our way :(
Biz recently posted..Feisty!

11 Jae December 12, 2010 at 10:28 am

you guys are SO CUTE together :)

12 Katy (The Singing Runner) December 12, 2010 at 10:40 am

I love Disney during the holidays! It’s super pretty! (And this post is making me SUPER excited for the Disney Half- Marathon next month! :))

That photo of you and Derek with the lights behind you is super adorable! :) I’m jealous!

I’ve told all my friends that I want to be proposed to AT Disney and to tell my future husband that! ;) I want to wear the button too! :)
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..30 Day To Go! And I’m a Guest Blogger!

13 Erin December 12, 2010 at 10:41 am

Love the pictures of Disney during the holidays! I have always wanted to go during Christmastime. Maybe someday when I have kids! :)
Erin recently posted..The Monkey Bar

14 Mimi December 12, 2010 at 10:58 am

Looks like SO much fun! You are so lucky that you get to visit Disney “often.”
P.S. I like Derek’s haircut!
Mimi recently posted..“Me” time

15 Vanessa December 12, 2010 at 10:59 am

Cute picture of you and Derek!! The gingerbread creations look amazing!!
Vanessa recently posted..Slammin’

16 Jessica December 12, 2010 at 11:00 am

haha the lighting in that picture with the button on me makes my chest look like leather!! ick.

I had so much fun yesterday, even though we didn’t really… do much hahahah ;)

17 Brenna December 12, 2010 at 11:08 am

Cute pictures ! I love all the lights. So lucky it’s not freezing in FL!
Brenna recently posted..what you must do in paris- part i

18 Sarah @ EatRunGarden December 12, 2010 at 11:30 am

I love all the lights and the gingerbread house looks like a fun place to visit.
Sarah @ EatRunGarden recently posted..Turkey Burgers and Friends

19 Caitlin December 12, 2010 at 11:41 am

Harry built the gingerbread house two years ago and said he was soooo sick of the smell afterwards!

20 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) December 12, 2010 at 11:44 am

This post makes me really want to go to Disneyworld! We live like an hour away from Disneyland but it’s not nearly as fun as Disneyworld with all of the hotels. So jealous!
Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) recently posted..Procrastination whoa

21 Sarah @ goingongoals December 12, 2010 at 11:45 am

This post makes me soo excited for New Years when I will be in Orlando visiting my two best friends. The life size Gingerbread House is already on our list. I am sure that the new Ariel ride (is it open yet?) will also be on our list since my one friend is obsessed!!! And, of course we will tour the hotels to look at all the decorations! Looks like you had fun! Happy Holidays!

22 Kiran December 12, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Super fun! We can’t wait to visit Hollywood Studios as well. Especially at night, for the lights :D
Kiran recently posted..Almond Cookies

23 Heather December 12, 2010 at 12:01 pm

my parents, sister, and brother in law are in Disney right now and last night they were at teh Grand Floridian eating dinner and walking aorund looking at the decorations. You may have totally walked right by them, how cool haha! The grand floridian is my favorite place on earth, BTW!
Heather recently posted..18 Miles Done!

24 Maria @ runningcupcake December 12, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Yay I love disney :) I am going there next week! I love the massive gingerbread house in the grand floridian but didnt know about the tree in the comtemporary- I will be hunting that out too :)

25 Christin@purplebirdblog December 12, 2010 at 12:22 pm

That picture of you and your man by the light display is giving me cavities it’s so sweet!! ;)
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Goat Cheese &amp Spinach Lasagna

26 Ali December 12, 2010 at 12:53 pm

That’s so awesome you live so close to Disney. I haven’t been in a few years and would love to get back. I can only imagine how beautiful it would be for Christmas :)

27 Katie December 12, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Meghann, you are glowing lately. You look so happy!
(And stylish, of course!)

28 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) December 12, 2010 at 1:22 pm

How fun! I miss having a Disney pass during the holidays. It’s the best time to go!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Procrastinating

29 Allie December 12, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Great pictures!!! I know what you mean about being a pass hoarder haha that’s too funny. The shrimp flatbread looks great :)
Allie recently posted..Little baker girl giveaway winner

30 Lauren December 12, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Aw looks so fun! I went to Disney when I was younger and loved it. I really wanna check out the Harry Potter World down there next.
Lauren recently posted..Mix it Up

31 melissa (fitnessnyc) December 12, 2010 at 1:57 pm

I love love love this post! It makes me feel like I relived my vacation all over again. I thought the light show in mgm was amazing.
melissa (fitnessnyc) recently posted..One Night Out- One Night In

32 Katie December 12, 2010 at 2:20 pm

omg how cute! I love the just engaged buttons! I so wish I went to disney when I got engaged and sported one! love it! U better go and sport one when you get engaged : )

Love Disney, I hope to go back there again soon! I love the first pic of you and Derek! Such a photo to keep and frame! xoxo
Katie recently posted..Perks of the private gym

33 jen December 12, 2010 at 3:26 pm

That would be so fun!!! Love the decorations and the lights, YAY for Christmas!!!

Jen
jen recently posted..Emotional

34 Sarah December 12, 2010 at 4:05 pm

A few years ago my mom and I were at Disney for her birthday. She got a birthday button and the same thing happened to her. She got Happy Birthday wishes from everyone in the park, along with balloons and even a splash of confetti at the restaurant. Sounds like you guys had fun!
Sarah recently posted..2 Miles

35 Lisa (bakebikeblog) December 12, 2010 at 4:20 pm

my oh my – what wonderful festive photos! It looks like you all had such a great day!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..5 hours- 43 minutes and 59 seconds

36 Marcy December 12, 2010 at 4:30 pm

$10 for a huge turkey sandwich and your choice of fruit on the side? Sounds like a GREAT deal and not overpriced at all. Disney always does it right.

37 Jess@atasteofconfidence December 12, 2010 at 5:33 pm

That is by far my favorite park! I’ve never been during the holidays, I really want to go!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..Update!!

38 amanda December 12, 2010 at 6:43 pm

ahh…how magical!! i’ve been dreaming of going to disney at christmas time. my parents went a few years ago and the pictures were to die for…as are yours.

such a happy, happy place! and you and derek look nothing but adorable.

those gingerbread houses are out.of.this.world!
amanda recently posted..things ive learned in the last 24 hours

39 Jena December 12, 2010 at 7:48 pm

I’m currently begging my husband to go to Disney. ZOMGG!!! I’ve never been during the holidays and I never really wanted to, but seeing all those lights and decor…wahh, I want to gooo!!!!

I also volunteered @ the Disney Princess last year, and i just saw my pass last night- It was still in the pocket of the jacket i work. wow.

My Bff & I volunteered and then was had the smart (i use that term lightly) idea of going to all the parks after we were done volunteering. Wow, dumb idea, we were so exhausted. My feet felt like they had run the half marathon. Whew.

My husband is not convinced we need to go to Disney yet. I have some work to do!
Jena recently posted..I’m truly blessed

40 Carolyn @ lovinlosing December 12, 2010 at 8:08 pm

I used to live in Little Rock before the Osborne’s were pretty much forced into getting rid of the lights. My grandfather thought it was the gaudiest thing ever, but he would still take me every year.
Carolyn @ lovinlosing recently posted..WW Update &amp My Christmas Wish List

41 Morgan @ Becoming Rooks December 12, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Aww, I miss WDW so much! We haven’t been back since we were married there this past May. I love all of the decorations at Christmas time. Some of my favorites are the gingerbread carousel at the Beach Club and the tree at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

42 Shannon @ Philadelphia Phitness Pharmacy December 12, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Such a fun weekend! I am going to Orlando next week after finals. Now I am more excited than ever!!!
Shannon @ Philadelphia Phitness Pharmacy recently posted..Brain Food

43 Hope December 13, 2010 at 8:28 am

I LOVE Disney World! I went there during the holidays like two years ago and it was incredible!!! I love the gingerbread house and the Osbourne Family Lights. The Wave is a really good restaurant. They have amazing desserts! So jealous you live near Disney!

44 Alexis December 13, 2010 at 10:26 am

LOL if I lived near Disney, I’d be a permanent fixture there! hahahaaha! I’ve been 5 times through all the parks (I live in the Toronto/Niagara Falls area of Ontario). I’ve done the Hallowe’en and Pirates & Princesses theme nights too! Loved them! (I dragged my daughter along twice :D) I’ll be there in a few weeks to do my 1st ever marathon (doing the half) in January, beyond excited for it!!!

45 Karla December 14, 2010 at 6:53 am

Looks like you guys had a blast! I missed out on the just engaged buttons, but we are going there for our honeymoon and I can’t wait to sport a Just Married button, along with the minnie mouse veil and my hubby in a mickey top hat!

46 Lacey @ Lake Life December 17, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Disney looks awesome during the holidays! Poor Derek though, does he ever get sick of the engagement pressure from your blog?

47 Meghann December 17, 2010 at 3:51 pm

It’s strange – he likes it. He loves to joke with me about it! :)

48 Ffion December 19, 2010 at 6:18 pm

I bet the area around the Gingerbread house smelt amazing!
Ffion recently posted..Worth it

49 CampingGirl December 21, 2010 at 3:43 pm

I have spent many Christmas’ at Disney over the years… I absolutely love the dec0rations and the parades!
CampingGirl recently posted..New Food Obsession