Dusting off the ole Garmin

by Meghann on December 7, 2010

Fact: I’m really bad at connecting my Garmin to my computer and retrieving all my data to analyze.

Fact: The last time I completed this task was on January 10, 2010 – the same day as the Disney Marathon – and my computer reminded me of this as it took an hour to load all the previous data. Time flies, right?

Obviously I love my Garmin for many other reasons besides it’s really cool ability to retrieve data, create spreadsheets, and analyze speed versus inclines in a chart – I mean there’s the whole pre-programming workouts and tracking your pace while you’re actually moving 😉 -  BUT my new PR really had me curious how all my splits added up. So, I couldn’t resist plugging it in after nearly a year of not doing so.

Let’s see shall we?

Screen shot 2010-12-06 at 10.27.17 PM

Wowza. Check out that final split.

FinalSplit

That’s an average pace of 8:08 for the final nubbin of the race. I guess I really was giving it my all at the end. Perhaps that’s why I fainted?

Besides that, I’m really proud of these splits. I kept it fairly consistent during the race, even if my pace did slow just a smidge towards the end. Ideally you would want negative splits for the last half of a race, but I was happy with the slight cushion I had made for myself and really did try to maintain as steady of a pace as I could at the time.

It’s pretty interesting if you compare the above splits to my two previous marathons I have in the system. (Chicago had screwed with my Garmin, so I don’t have reliable statistics from that race or Gasparilla or my Ultra, but that’s another story for another day.)

San Diego Rock n Roll 5/31/09

garminstats

Walt Disney World Marathon 1/10/10

picture-4

Now let’s compare those stats side by side.

San Diego    Disney    Palm Beach

LApFinalSplits    SDFinalSplits   WDWFinalSplits   PBFinalSplits

Interesting.

In San Diego it looks like I started hitting ‘the wall’ around mile 21 with my first 11:00/mi pace.

In Disney it was mile 22 with 10:17/mi and I kept it consistent after that.

And Palm Beach was my first marathon (as far as I know) where my slowest pace was 9:27/mi which occurred while I was running with Kelly during mile 20. After I left her I was feeling rejuvenated (thank you orange slices!) which explains the 9:10 pace that immediately followed. Ironically enough my slowest mile was still about 10 seconds faster than my previous marathon PR average. Booyah!

I could probably study and critique these numbers all day, but I won’t bore you with any more of it. 🙂

I took Maddie for a very chilly walk around the block this morning. Poor thing needed her sweater and was still shivering! Luckily, she’s back to her normal self today. I had a brief scare when she wouldn’t eat any of her food yesterday, but last night she managed to get her dinner down and this morning she ate her breakfast like a champ. I think she just had a slight tummy ache and is over it now. 🙂

Sadly my toes have seen better days.

IMG_0027

I’ve never had so many blisters on my feet at once. It’s actually painful to put real shoes on at the moment, so I’m rockin’ flip flops in the thirty degree weather this morning. I guess cold toes are better than pained toes. 😉

Breakfast this morning was simple bowl of cereal.

IMG_0014

• 1/2 cup Quaker Squares
  • 1/2 cup Kashi GO Lean
  • Last of a bag of Jessica’s Chocolate Chip Granola (maybe 1/3 cup)
  • Vanilla yogurt
  • Pom Seeds
  • Naturally Nutter Toffee Butter Peanut Butter

IMG_0020

IMG_0024

Time to get to work.

Later Alligator!

1 Jim December 7, 2010 at 9:49 am

What kind of Garmin is that? Is it a watch, GPS all in one? That’s pretty neeto.
Jim recently posted..Monday run went from bad to good

2 Mimi December 7, 2010 at 9:50 am

More evidence that you totally rock.

3 Sarah J December 7, 2010 at 9:51 am

I’m a first-time commenter here, but I just wanted to say congrats on the amazing marathon! And I love how you’re analyzing your splits – I’m a super nerd and I would totally do the same thing, but with graphs and charts! (Not that I’m calling you a nerd – I just like it!)

4 Stephanie @ The Cookie Battle December 7, 2010 at 9:52 am

I never upload my info from my Garmin either. I like that I have the option to, but I just don’t. I’m lazy like that 🙂

5 Amanda (Eating Up) December 7, 2010 at 9:53 am

Those stats are so cool! Numbers fascinate me. I really love analyzing things like that.
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..CNC Holiday Bake Sale- GF Nut Butter No Flour Chocolate Brownies

6 michelle December 7, 2010 at 9:55 am

great stats!
michelle recently posted..Running Naked

7 RunningOnCoffee December 7, 2010 at 10:09 am

Way to go!! It’s so great to be able to see your performance improve.
This is why I love my Garmin! I love being able to look at previous runs along a favorite route and see how I’ve improved over the past year. I love all the data Garmin Connect gives! 🙂
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Month In Review- November December Goals

8 RunningOnCoffee December 7, 2010 at 10:19 am

PS, I cant imagine not uploading for so long! Unless I am running while out of town, I usually come back from my run and plug in the USB stick to get the data that same night!
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Month In Review- November December Goals

9 Sarah @ Going on Goals December 7, 2010 at 10:11 am

Thank you for posting your marathon splits. I think I need to invest in a garmin! Seeing you analyze the data makes me wish I could do the same. Good things its the Holidays, I am sure I can find a Garmin I like on sale!
Sarah @ Going on Goals recently posted..Christmas Cookies Day 1

10 Carolyn @ Lovin' Losing December 7, 2010 at 10:16 am

Oh, man, I’m pretty bad about plugging in my Garming, too. I’m sure it’s been months.
Carolyn @ Lovin’ Losing recently posted..Hello World!

11 Margo December 7, 2010 at 10:17 am

Congrats on the amazing marathon time and awesome splits! So cool to see how all your hard work paid off!

12 CMae December 7, 2010 at 10:18 am

I’m glad Maddie is feeling better! My Jack Russell is very cold weather-intolerant; maybe Maddie was just feeling the seasonal blues?
CMae recently posted..Jupiter Presents- A Snowball That Never Melts

13 Lew (ashandlewplus2.com December 7, 2010 at 10:24 am

So What are you going to do for those toes? Once again I have to say you did great and you are inspiring us all to do better and to try harder which is what we should all be doing in Life. Have a great day.. and remember what is your friend not coke zero 🙂
Lew (ashandlewplus2.com recently posted..Small Group Christmas

14 Meghann December 7, 2010 at 10:59 am

As soon as they can handle being touched, those toes are getting a pedicure 😉

15 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 7, 2010 at 10:26 am

I was out of the loop this weekend because of a ton of other things I had on, but CONGRATULATIONS GIRL!! Well done on that PR – your splits are great!! I think you should go get a foot massage for all your hard work. 😀
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..You’re A Mean One- Mr Grinch!

16 movesnmunchies December 7, 2010 at 10:37 am

AMAZING stats! seriously, wow!
movesnmunchies recently posted..Healthy Foodie Favs

17 Cristina December 7, 2010 at 10:47 am

Whaaattt?? That just blows my mind that you haven’t plugged it in since January. I have a compulsion do do mine after every single run, haha!
Cristina recently posted..RR- Spinx Run Fest Half-Marathon

18 Katy (The Singing Runner) December 7, 2010 at 10:50 am

Congratulations again!

This post is actually really interesting. I’ve spent the last 20 minutes analyzing your splits! Haha! By your splits, it is obvious that your training really helped and you got faster and more consistent with your splits! 🙂
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Bringing in the Holidays

19 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday December 7, 2010 at 10:52 am

Yikes! 30Deg in Florida? That sounds like quite a cold spell.

I’ve really been inspired by your marathon and I’ve been reading your marathon re-caps. I’m now toying with the idea of doing the Detroit marathon in October but am really nervous to commit.
It’s supposed to be a really fun marathon because it takes you over the Ambassador bridge and through the Detroit/Windsor tunnel and over to Belle Isle.

Any tips for a beginner to get over the nerves and commit to doing a marathon? Also, do you have any beginner training tips?
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..Mulled Pecans

20 Meghann December 7, 2010 at 11:01 am

The biggest piece of advice I can give a beginning marathoner is to just have fun with it! Don’t worry about time, don’t worry about setting speed records while training – find a group of friends to train with and just have fun! Leave all the pressure at home. 🙂

21 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday December 7, 2010 at 11:28 am

Thanks 😀
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..Mulled Pecans

22 Corey @ the runner's cookie December 7, 2010 at 11:04 am

I’m excited to get a Garmin for this very reason – to see the numbers! Guessing my pace is always kind of annyoing…I want to know!

23 Tracy December 7, 2010 at 11:14 am

Great job!! Question on your stats/Garmin… how do you put mph/speed in your logs??

24 Meghann December 7, 2010 at 11:27 am

It showed up automatically?

25 Meg December 7, 2010 at 11:40 am

Your stats are awesome. After seeing your tweet regarding the $99 garmin, I went ahead and bought it [although I had it shipped to my parent’s house so Santa can leave it under the tree 😉 and that way, I don’t get too distracted during final exams!]. I am so excited to start using it, and I think your lastest marathon has finally encouraged me to start training for my first half! Thanks for the inspiration!!!
Meg recently posted..Headed to Haiti

26 Biz December 7, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Wow, you can really see what a huge improvement you’ve made! Woot! And for the record, my daughter wears flip flops almost year round – today when she left the house it was 11 degrees, but felt like -1 with the wind chill!
Biz recently posted..Bacon Santa Giveaway and I’m Leaving You

27 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) December 7, 2010 at 12:19 pm

How do you get your Garmin to give mile times for every mile? I’ve had mine for a few months and I still haven’t figured it out. That would have been nice to know when I ran a marathon! 🙂

28 RunningOnCoffee December 7, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Which Garmin do you have? For the 405/Garmin Connect, pull up an activity – look for Laps at the lower left of the screen. or for more detail, click on “Laps” at the upper right of the map.
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Month In Review- November December Goals

29 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) December 7, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Hopefully Santa’s getting me a Garmin for Christmas…I hope he reads this! 😛
Amazing splits! Especially in comparison to the other two! The consistency is really awesome! 🙂
Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) recently posted..Cinnamon cake with spiced buttercream

30 Christin@purplebirdblog December 7, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Ouch toes!! 🙂 Hope they heal quickly!
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Bacon Extravaganza

31 Heather @ Side of Sneakers December 7, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I love this! I’m such a numbers junkie 🙂
Heather @ Side of Sneakers recently posted..2

32 Kelly December 7, 2010 at 1:26 pm

I’m obsessed with uploading my splits! How did you go almost a whole year?!
Kelly recently posted..Too Much Weekend Fun

33 Matt December 7, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Nice splits! You are awesome 🙂
Matt recently posted..Baked Eggs In Ham Cups

34 Allie December 7, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Wow, your running has really improved! Garmin is soo cool that it does all of that!
Allie recently posted..Hummingbird Cake

35 Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life December 7, 2010 at 2:01 pm

I like how you have data from all your races! So cool. Makes me want to buy a garmin!

36 Sarah December 7, 2010 at 2:09 pm

I am seriously considering asking for one of the Garmins for Christmas.
This might be a dumb question, but why are your three marathons over 26.2 miles? For each race, it indicates the last “lap” is 0.38, 0.48, and 0.49 miles.
Is that common, or just something about the watch I am not understanding?

37 RunningOnCoffee December 7, 2010 at 4:42 pm

26.2 is running all the tangents (shortest route) of the course. any weaving between people or taking the outside of curves, having to move to the opposite side of the course for water stops, etc. adds up especially over that distance.

my half marathons have been more like 13.2 or 13.35 according to my garmin fr 405.
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Month In Review- November December Goals

38 Sarah December 7, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Wow, then running sub-4 hours is even more impressive! Congrats.
(And thanks for the explanation…I had no idea it could add up to so much extra!)

39 Jenna Mock December 7, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I absolutely love pom seeds but I have the hardest time getting them out! They spray everywhere! Ugh so frustrating. haha
Jenna Mock recently posted..I Really Do Love Christmas Music

40 Ilana December 7, 2010 at 4:44 pm

If you open it in a bowl of water all the white pith will float to the top and the seeds will sink!
Ilana recently posted..Techie difficulties

41 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] December 7, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Those charts really make we want a G Forerunner!!
Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] recently posted..Back to December

42 Ffion December 7, 2010 at 7:44 pm

I’v been reading your blog for about two years, but I think that this is the first time I’v commented! I’m just starting out on the whole ‘healthy lifestyle’ journey, and the idea of running a marathon completely blows my mind, but I hope that one day I will be up for it! 🙂
(flip-flops?! In December! I can barely get away with wearing them in August over here in the UK!)

43 Lacey @ Lake Life December 7, 2010 at 8:21 pm

So jealous that you get to wear flip flops to work! (Except I think even if allowed I would pass on that right now, there’s snow on the ground here).

44 Ali December 7, 2010 at 10:44 pm

I never plug my garmin in either. It’d definitely be interesting to plug it in now and see what my marathon pace was versus the paces of all of my training runs leading up to the race. I think it would be very revealing and help me figure out where to go from here with different goals I may have. Thanks for the reminder of what the garmin can be used for! 🙂
Ali recently posted..Workout Success

45 Cortney December 8, 2010 at 10:30 am

Good job! I’ve been rocking the flip flops a lot lately in very cold weather too. My toes do not want to be in running shoes if they aren’t running.

46 Jim December 8, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Ughh!!! All this cool Garmin talk is going to put me in Walmart looking for one!!

One question, can I output to excel?

(ps. my twitter is twitter.com/goingfitness)
Jim recently posted..Strength training was a tough and fun today

47 RunningOnCoffee December 8, 2010 at 8:16 pm

Garmin Connect (connect.garmin.com) for my Garmin FR405CX allows you to ‘export to CSV’
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Trader Joes Spiced Apple Bread Mix- Pumpkin Pie and My Sneaky Dog

48 Jenna December 10, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Hey! What kind of garmin doyou have?!