more ยป" />

Push It

by Meghann on December 3, 2010

This was my morning

IMG_9603

Breakfast โ€“ thatโ€™s it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ok, well breakfast and the Today Showโ€ฆ and Maddie. Canโ€™t forget Maddie. ๐Ÿ˜‰

The countdown to my marathon has gone from days to hours and as of right now we have less than 48 of them to go! Less than 48 hours until Iโ€™m standing at that starting line waiting for the gun to go off for my SIXTH (!!) marathon!

My goals are still the same โ€“ under 4 hours and to give it all Iโ€™ve got.

Something hit me when I was in the shower this morning. I was having flashbacks to Disney marathon and how SORE I was right after. I was in so much pain I couldnโ€™t even get my own clothes on afterwards.

Now fast forward to Chicago where I walked the mile back to the hotel immediately following the marathon with very little complaint.

Want to know the difference?

I gave it my all in Disney. I dug deep inside, pushed myself, and finished with an amazing (for me) PR. I was sore because I had nothing left at the end of the race. However, in Chicago I mentally gave up when the heat started getting to me. I stopped giving it my all and instead was just focused on finishing. Granted it was still an amazing race and I donโ€™t regret any decision I made that day, but I definitely did not push it the way I could have.

On Sunday I want to push it. I plan to be in pain when I finish because being in pain means I gave it all I had. As my sister was reminding during Chicago โ€œYou can walk at the finish.โ€ I think those are the words I need to remember when push comes to shove. Running a marathon is suppose to be hard, if itโ€™s easy then Iโ€™m not doing it right. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I WILL PR on Sunday! I WILL finish strong! And I WILL have a kick ass time while doing so! ๐Ÿ™‚

I needed that. ๐Ÿ™‚

Breakfast this morning was a โ€˜powered upโ€™ bowl of oats.

IMG_9601

I made an extra hearty serving to fill me up two days before my race. Luckily my appetite has returned. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• 1/2 cup Oats
  • 1/2 cup Water
  • 1/2 cup Almond Milk
  • 2 T Chocolate Protein Powder
  • 1 T Chia Seeds
  • Pinch of Salt
  • Pumpkin Spice
  • 1/4 cup Pumpkin

Toppings:

IMG_9595

Good eats. ๐Ÿ™‚

ITโ€™S FRIDAY!!!!!!!!

1 Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life December 3, 2010 at 9:25 am

I love how positive you are about the marathon! I love your thinking and hope you make all your goals!

2 michelle December 3, 2010 at 9:28 am

Best of luck with your marathon. I cant wait to read all about it.

Happy Friday!

3 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 3, 2010 at 9:30 am

That’s such an awesome attitude to have Meghann! I’m sure you will PR with those thoughts running through your mind. I’ve only run 1 marathon (and a couple of half marathons) and even though I was LOVING my full marathon time, it’s almost like you have to completely forget about how much pain was experienced before you can bring yourself to sign up for another one. Again, you’re amazing! ๐Ÿ™‚
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..A word about restaurant salads

4 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine December 3, 2010 at 9:31 am

The day after my last half marathon, I told my boyfriend it hurt to walk. He told me that the day after you give a race 100%, it should hurt to move your toes. He’s right- ridiculous soreness sucks, but it means that you pushed yourself as hard as you could!! Good luck ๐Ÿ™‚
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..The Jeans Question

5 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun December 3, 2010 at 9:33 am

YES YOU WILL!!! I love the energy and drive. That can definitely be put to your advantage. ๐Ÿ™‚
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..high school date night

6 Amanda (Eating Up) December 3, 2010 at 9:35 am

I’m excited to hear how you do this weekend. I have a very good feeling about it!
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..Thanksgiving Recipes- The Appetizers

7 Melissa December 3, 2010 at 9:52 am

Great attitude! I’ve run 8 marathons and every single time I leave it ALL on the course, crying after I finish because I gave it my all, barely able to walk or move or talk. My PR is a sub-4 (barely, haha). YOU CAN (and WILL) DO IT!

8 Katy (The Singing Runner) December 3, 2010 at 9:58 am

You are going to be amazing at your marathon! You will PR!!! I can’t wait to read your recap!!! ๐Ÿ™‚
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..You can tellโ€ฆ

9 Alina @ Duty Free Foodie December 3, 2010 at 10:00 am

That’s such a great attitude! You will be so mentally prepared for the pain now. Good luck!
Alina @ Duty Free Foodie recently posted..Seafood Chowder from Heaven

10 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather December 3, 2010 at 10:05 am

Love Fridays! Way to already get in the mind set for your race. Its so soon – crazy!

11 Becca December 3, 2010 at 10:07 am

Woohoo! Love your attitude! Good luck!!!
Becca recently posted..Iโ€™m Going to be a Fireman!

12 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday December 3, 2010 at 10:10 am

YES!! I Love your enthusiasm ๐Ÿ˜€
You’re going to do awesome!
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..Black Friday

13 Kelly December 3, 2010 at 10:14 am

I can’t wait to cheer you on!!! Going to the store for sign materials today! ๐Ÿ™‚
Kelly recently posted..Space Coast Half Race Photos

14 bonnie December 3, 2010 at 10:18 am

i looooove your blog and have been reading all about your marathons and training and such, but I just had to comment on this one because its hitting home. I’m not a super serious runner but I did, as a personal challenge, commit to a half marathon in may. i’m totally freaked about it, but hey, whats the fun in life if you don’t challenge yourself every now and then, right! so tomorrow i have a 5k and one of my biggest running hurdles is my mind. i tend to get the “this is too hard” and “i can’t do this!” thoughts swirling in my head after 1/4 mile. but your words are right. i finish running my distances (even though short) barely winded. its not so much my body as it is my brain. so thank you for this! i needed that swift kick (in the head!) to get myself ready to go and to just run my heart out. i’m totally excited to hear how your marathon goes and i just had to stop in and tell you that ๐Ÿ™‚
you’re gonna rock it!! i’m going to be thinking of your mantra tomorrow.

15 skinnyrunner December 3, 2010 at 10:19 am

love it. best of luck this weekend!
skinnyrunner recently posted..Rock of love

16 Kelly December 3, 2010 at 10:23 am

You’re going to do awesome! I know it!
Kelly recently posted..Roommate Dinner

17 Kerry December 3, 2010 at 10:25 am

Good luch Meghann! I know you’ll break 4 hours. That was recently my goal with the Philly Marathon and I pushed myself and ended up breaking 3:40, earning a BQ! You can totally do it ๐Ÿ™‚

18 Biz December 3, 2010 at 10:31 am

You’ll do great! Best of luck to you Meghann.

I have a bacon giveaway on my blog today – everything is better with bacon, right?!

Happy Friday!
Biz recently posted..Gluten Free Pizza!

19 Lauren December 3, 2010 at 10:44 am

I love the positivity! I need to remember that I can walk on the end when my runs get tough. You’re attitude is so inspiring and motivating!
Lauren recently posted..The Beans Buzz

20 Ali @ Ali on the Run December 3, 2010 at 10:46 am

Woo Hoo! Love this. You’re going to rock the marathon with that attitude!
Ali @ Ali on the Run recently posted..The Refine Method Class Review

21 Fallon December 3, 2010 at 10:47 am

Hell yeah you can do it. Good luck!!!

And yes Friday, WHOO HOOO!
Fallon recently posted..And the winner isโ€ฆ

22 Christin@purplebirdblog December 3, 2010 at 10:50 am

Best of luck on your race!!

23 Mimi December 3, 2010 at 11:01 am

I’m so excited to hear how your marathon goes, mostly because I know you are going to ROCK it!
Mimi recently posted..Blue- who

24 Ashley December 3, 2010 at 11:04 am

That’s a great attitude to have before a race. I’m always doubting myself. Good luck, and as always your amazing breakfast puts my little bowl of cereal to shame.
Ashley recently posted..Chocolate stops panicking

25 Kiran December 3, 2010 at 11:07 am

Yummy breakfast and good luck on your marathon. You are awesome ๐Ÿ™‚
Kiran recently posted..Pumpkin Cupcakes

26 jenna December 3, 2010 at 11:14 am

meghann! you are just soo inspiring to me…almost your 6th marathon! crazy.
since recovering from my ED one day soon i hope to participate in a race and then work my way to bigger races since i used to love to run before my ED. I just got the okay to start exercising again so i am taking it slow and steady and easy! you are just soo inspiring everyday when i read your blog!
jenna

27 Kacy December 3, 2010 at 11:48 am

Good luck Sunday! You have a great mindset and I think you will rock it!

28 Briana December 3, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Good luck! A quote I always keep in mind while racing (I’ve even written it on my sleeve)….

โ€œPain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.โ€ -Lance Armstrong.

I’ve used that quote to finish 10 marathons and 3 ultra-marathons. And your sister is right… you can walk after you cross the finish line. ๐Ÿ™‚
Briana recently posted..Bugs on the mother-effing plane

29 Jenna Mock December 3, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Good luck!! Keep that attitude and you will do just fine ๐Ÿ™‚
Jenna Mock recently posted..Im Freezing My Royal White Girl Nay-Nays Off

30 Krystina December 3, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Good luck! I know you’ll do amazingly. ๐Ÿ™‚
Krystina recently posted..Wine Poached Shrimp

31 Jessica @ The Process of Healing December 3, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Yes mam you can do it! If running marathons were supposed to be easy, everyone would do it!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Recovery

32 Faith @ lovelyascharged December 3, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Great attitude, and that’s certainly going to translate into a great race.
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..Show-off

33 Allie December 3, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Woohoo for Friday’s and your marathon! I know you are going to do so awesome because you have a great attitude, I can’t wait to read all about it ๐Ÿ™‚
Allie recently posted..Pizza Connoisseur

34 Monica C. December 3, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Thanks for the pep talk. I’m also running a marathon this Sunday (#3) and I have been struggling with not feeling trained (although I never missed a workout in 16 weeks) and my usual, “I’ll just treat this like a training run” pre-race mentality, which I know is borne out of FEAR! Instead, I’m going to remember you words as I line up on Sunday – better to go big or go home! I think you’re going to do great!

35 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) December 3, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Good luck! And believe in yourself, because you WILL PR! ๐Ÿ˜€
Can’t wait to read all about it in your recap! ๐Ÿ™‚
Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) recently posted..Christmas traditions

36 Emily Malone December 3, 2010 at 2:10 pm

I am soooo excited for your run this weekend. Love this attitude. Casey has always told me he has been most proud of me when I have puked at the finish line (multiple times). Leave it on the course.

๐Ÿ™‚

37 Jess@atasteofconfidence December 3, 2010 at 2:37 pm

You can do it! Good luck ๐Ÿ™‚
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..A trip to the mitten state

38 CarrieBeth Sherwood December 3, 2010 at 2:58 pm

that’s a perfect morning to me: breakfast and the today show!!
CarrieBeth Sherwood recently posted..let it snow! let it snow! let it snow!

39 Shannon @ Philadelphia Phitness Pharmacy December 3, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Good luck in the race!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shannon @ Philadelphia Phitness Pharmacy recently posted..Workout- Eat- Repeat

40 Ali December 3, 2010 at 10:28 pm

I cannot wait to read about your next marathon! Good luck!!
Ali recently posted..Dehydrated