Raw Veggies = Lazy Veggies

by Meghann on December 2, 2010

Ok, seriously – where does the time go? One minute it’s 9:00am and the next it’s after noon and lunch time. My morning got a way from me. In fact I didn’t even realize I had missed my morning snack until I grabbed my camera and noticed the SD card was still attached to my PC. Odd.

I wish I knew where my taper appetite went. I know I should be loading up on lots of yummy carbs, protein, etc before my marathon on Sunday, but a light lunch was all I could stomach. Maybe it’s nerves?

IMG_9442

I did sneak a hefty amount of protein into my lunch with the left over lentils from last night’s dinner. I heated them up with some ketchup and bbq sauce for a make shift sloppy joe of sorts and filled a pita with the mix. It sort of resembled a lazy girl’s sloppy joe calzone.

IMG_9451

On the side I added some sweetness to my plate with cherries.

IMG_9447

And raw – yes, raw – brussel sprouts.

IMG_9445

I really don’t mind the crispy, cabbage esque texture and I was just too lazy to actually cook them. In fact, most of the time I eat raw veggies it’s because I’m too lazy to cook them. Eating them raw is fine by me, if it means not having to dirty an extra plate or wait around for an extra 5 –10 minutes as they roast/boil/ cook. 🙂

IMG_9443

Come on appetite – please return before it’s go time!

Luckily I am craving  homemade cookies at the moment. Guess I know what I’ll be doing tonight. 😉

1 Balacned Healthy Life December 2, 2010 at 2:08 pm

I actually like raw vegetables best! I think its a texture thing!

2 Michele @ Healthy Cultivations December 2, 2010 at 2:13 pm

I’ve never eaten brussel sprouts raw… I guess it’s worth a try. I’ve never met a brussel sprout I didn’t like.

3 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans December 2, 2010 at 2:15 pm

I really like the idea of using lentils in a sloppy joe. Thanks for the meal idea!

4 Ashley December 2, 2010 at 2:23 pm

I don’t know if I could eat brussel sprouts raw. I’m just now starting to enjoy eating them cooked.

5 Sarah for Real December 2, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Woah you are one hard core veggie woman! I could not handle raw brussels sprouts myself. Props!

6 Chloe December 2, 2010 at 2:25 pm

For future reference, the microwave is a great way to cook up brussel sprouts and only take a few minutes! I think I would also like them raw but would need some sort of dipper like hummus or something.

7 Lew (ashandlewplus2.com) December 2, 2010 at 2:27 pm

So what is going to be your pre race meal.. when do you really start pounding the carbs?
Lew
Lew (ashandlewplus2.com) recently posted..The Ultimate Cheese and Crackers

8 Meghann December 2, 2010 at 2:31 pm

They say the ‘ideal’ time to start pounding the carbs is two days before you race. So, Friday I plan to start grubbing away 🙂

9 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) December 2, 2010 at 2:31 pm

I like most raw veggies, but I’m not sure how i feel about raw brussels sprouts!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..On Not Counting Calories

10 Ali December 2, 2010 at 2:40 pm

I’m not really a fan of brussel sprouts at all! I experience the same dip in appetite sometimes when I get stressed out or have a lot on my mind. I’m sure it will return soon!
Ali recently posted..My Relationship with the Gym

11 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday December 2, 2010 at 2:44 pm

I like certain veggies raw, but others I’d rather stomach if they were cooked.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..Black Friday

12 Amanda (Eating Up) December 2, 2010 at 2:44 pm

I never understand appetites. They’re so weird! Nutrition is such an inexact science.
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..Thanksgiving Recipes- The Appetizers

13 CarrieBeth Sherwood December 2, 2010 at 2:48 pm

i think i’ll join you and make some cookies tonight! tis the season 🙂

14 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 2, 2010 at 2:49 pm

I like the lentil sloppy joe idea, thanks!! And I agree on the raw veggies – even though I’ve been preferring roasted ones lately, raw is the way to go when you just can’t be bothered. Have a great afternoon!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..A word about restaurant salads

15 Honey B. Nutrition December 2, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Raw is great!! It’s best to get a mix of raw and cooked ones anyway. So I guess laziness can be a benefit sometimes!
Honey B. Nutrition recently posted..Bored of Water

16 movesnmunchies December 2, 2010 at 2:57 pm

wow! raw brussel sprouts! not sure how i feel about that… but hey if you say theyre good then why not!? yay baking night 🙂
movesnmunchies recently posted..The MnM Platter

17 Kacy December 2, 2010 at 3:01 pm

The last time I was cooking brussels sprouts, I had a few raw. They’re pretty delish. My appetite disappeared before my last race too, it was so annoying!
Kacy recently posted..Salad 2- Getting there

18 HIP LIP December 2, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Good luck this weekend!!

19 Christin@purplebirdblog December 2, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Raw brussels… I’m intrigued! I have a bag in the fridge right now… might have to try a couple! 🙂
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Roommate to the Rescue

20 Lisa (bakebikeblog) December 2, 2010 at 3:23 pm

what a great way to use leftover lentils!!!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Will run in the rain for tofu

21 Allie December 2, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Yummy way to use lentils! My favorite veggie is brussel sprouts and I have never had em raw… must try 😉 Hope your nerves calm before your marathon-you are going to kick butt!
Allie recently posted..Pizza Connoisseur

22 jen December 2, 2010 at 3:45 pm

I love raw veggies! Most veggies I eat raw, but won’t touch cooked. Carrots are at the top of that list.

Jen
jen recently posted..Weight Watchers

23 Beth December 2, 2010 at 4:06 pm

I’ve done raw (shaved) brussel sprouts in salads for years, but never eaten them straight raw. That’s on a whole other level. But I agree, laziness is the culprit for many of my dinner decisions. Still, yours looks great!
Beth recently posted..Sweet Potato Muffins

24 JunieB December 2, 2010 at 4:20 pm

WHERE DID YOU GET CHERRIES THIS TIME OF YEAR?!?!?!?!??!

i ate up all the ones i froze over the summer….
JunieB recently posted..Reverb10 – December 2

25 Matt December 2, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Raw brussel sprouts? They are my favorite veggie, but I am not sure I can handle them raw. Roasted in coconut oil is the way to go 😉
Matt recently posted..November Favorites

26 Erica December 2, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Looks like a tasty lunch to me 🙂 I’m a ketchup addict, so ketchup, bbq and lentils sounds tasty. Have fun baking up your cookies.
Erica recently posted..E- Tate’s Bake Shop Giveaway

27 gabriella @ embracement December 2, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Looks really yummy – love lentils as the sloppy joe. I love raw veggies, but roasted brussel sprouts will always be my favorite way to have them

28 Laura (Starloz) December 2, 2010 at 6:13 pm

raw brussels, hmm, interesting concept
Laura (Starloz) recently posted..New things are awesome!

29 Lacey @ Lake Life December 2, 2010 at 6:49 pm

You should pick up some GLAD microwave steam bags to steam your veggies. It takes 5 minutes in the microwave and you can rinse out the bag and use it over and over. I’ve had the same box for like 2 years and they’re a life saver.

Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..Columbus was a pilgrim…I swear

30 Monica C. December 2, 2010 at 7:13 pm

I think you have to be the healthiest eater I’ve ever encountered … and I’ve been alive a long time! 🙂
Monica C. recently posted..Day 07 – Your Best Friend

31 Melissa @ Running with Needles December 2, 2010 at 7:43 pm

I leave my SD card in my computer all the time! And I have only eaten brussel sprouts once and didn’t like them – I think I need to try again.

32 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather December 2, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Whenever I make Brussel sprouts I munch on the raw pieces. I prefer cooked but raw aint bad. Maybe your dehydrated? those veggies sure help if that’s the case even a bit.

33 Katy (The Singing Runner) December 2, 2010 at 9:48 pm

I had a small lunch too and my stomach just couldn’t take anything cooked. Raw veggies rule! 🙂
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..You can tell…