My Race Book

by Meghann on December 2, 2010

Good Morning Mr. Snowman!

IMG_9360

It finally cooled down here last night! It was in the upper 40s when I woke up this morning (high of 68 for the day) and last night I was able to turn my AC off. AC is pretty much a year around thing in Florida, so any night we are able to turn it off is a big one.

The cooler temps made for a great run this morning. I ran 4 miles at a 9 minute pace and barely broke a sweat – I’m crossing my fingers for similar temps on Sunday!

Isn’t Florida weather funny? One day I’m complaining about the heat and the next I’m loving the cold? Luckily it’s really only ‘cold’ in the morning, by noon time the sun will have warmed everything up and I wouldn’t be surprised to see people by the pool on my lunch break.

Still, I took advantage of the cool and made a HOT breakfast this morning.

IMG_9367

The apples I bought this past weekend were tiny, so I cut up two for my breakfast this morning. I had two that I had heated with toffee peanut butter, apple butter, and cinnamon. One they were squishy and cinnamony, I topped the hot apple with pumpkin yogurt (pumpkin + pumpkin spice + vanilla yogurt), granola, and raisins.

IMG_9368

Now, this is what I call a fall breakfast. The perfect parts of warm, cool, and refreshing.

IMG_9373

Last Night’s Project

I’m proud of my running accomplishments and take pride in every race bib I’ve worn or medal I’ve earned. I also LOVE the idea of displaying all my hard work in my apartment, but this was getting a little ridiculous.

IMG_9325

Umm…. yeah. My race board had lost any hint of empty space a long time ago and had become a mess of piling on bib after bib.

IMG_9327

The various medals I had worked so hard to earn had become hidden in the mess and I was afraid one more would bring the whole board crashing down.

IMG_9336

Now, I’m no Young House Love, but I did channel my inner John and Sherry on this one. After a little brainstorming and reorganization I took my space of clutter from this….

IMG_9325

to this. 🙂

IMG_9378

It’s not completely clutter free, but I’m much happier with the results.

My inspiration for the make over came when I purchased this medal holder from Allied Steel last month.

IMG_9385

I love how sleek it looks. The medal holder displays all my medals proudly and equally. None fall to the back of the pack or are forgotten.

IMG_9386

Bling, Bling 😉

IMG_9395

With the medals on display in their own unique way, I knew I wanted to do something with all of the bibs too. Back in the day I was an avid scrap booker and the idea of scrap booking my bibs was an appealing one, but I knew it could also be time consuming and my heart isn’t into traditional scrapbooking the way it used to be.

IMG_9331

Then it hit me. I don’t need to do a traditional scrap book. I have a fancy schmancy computer program that could do it for me (and make it look a million times nicer). After a little copy and pasting in good ole iPhoto I had exactly what I wanted.

IMG_9415

A 2009 Race Book

IMG_9418

Complete with my favorite photos

IMG_9423

Statistics from the race

IMG_9424

And the all important race bib

IMG_9422

I had left a page blank for every race and used double sided tape to tape down the bib once the book was printed. Worked like a charm.

IMG_9420

Now, I have every race I did in 2009 laid out and documented in a nifty coffee table book that I cam flip through anytime I want to dive into my memories.

IMG_9428

IMG_9430

The best part is that this was really easy to do! I see a 2010 race book, 2011 race book, etc. in my future. 🙂

IMG_9435

IMG_9439

And now my race board looks like this.

IMG_9414

Much better. 🙂

All my 2010 bibs are along the bottom waiting for their own spot in the 2010 race book. 🙂

IMG_9405

I still need to get a frame for my Chicago Marathon bib and medal. I like the idea of framing the ‘big’ races. One day I would also love to have a house with my own office where I can display a lot of the other cool things I’ve received at races over the years, but for now this small wall space will do. 🙂

IMG_9378

1 Balanced Healthy Life December 2, 2010 at 9:26 am

What a great race bored! So inspirational! I must say, I love the snowman bowl! So festive! : )

2 Amy December 2, 2010 at 9:27 am

Looks great! 🙂
Amy recently posted..Happiness

3 Julianne December 2, 2010 at 9:27 am

What a great idea! I have all my bibs in a shoebox and my medals on a door knob. I need to organize it better, love this!

4 Nell June 8, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Blue Diamond Athletic Displays has the coolest looking Medal Displays.
Check this out…..

5 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun December 2, 2010 at 9:29 am

LOVE the race book idea. That is too cool to have everything in one, easy to flip through place. It all looks so great.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..high school date night

6 G December 2, 2010 at 9:31 am

The race book is such a fantastic idea!!! Love it!!!

7 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 2, 2010 at 9:31 am

Oooh my goodness I LOVE your race book! It looks so pretty and professional! I’d love to do that with the things I’ve accumulated over time for raced but unfortunately there isn’t a whole lot of photographic evidence (I wasn’t blogging yet!) This is such an amazing gift idea too. I used to be rrreally into traditional scrapbooking as well and have album after album of photos from university and when I lived overseas. This looks so much easier. Thanks Meghann, and awesome job! 🙂
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..A word about restaurant salads

8 Liz December 2, 2010 at 9:33 am

Did you frame those marathon medal/bibs yourself, or did you get them done someplace? I would love to do something like that with mine from the NYC marathon!
Liz recently posted..Chocolate Dipped Graham Macaroons

9 Meghann December 2, 2010 at 9:37 am
10 Liz December 2, 2010 at 9:51 am

These are so cute – thanks!

11 Morgan December 2, 2010 at 9:37 am

I can’t decide what I love more: the bling holder or the racing book. What a fabulous idea! I’ve done the shadow box thing with the race bib/medal/other memorabilia (http://flic.kr/p/8WxwqT) but eventually I will start running out of wall space.

12 Jen December 2, 2010 at 9:37 am

I love the idea of a race book, Meghann! So creative. And I ordered that “my race bling” display too. Love!
Jen recently posted..Embrace- don’t fear- the holiday cheer

13 Ashley @ the fit academic December 2, 2010 at 9:38 am

So cool! That book came out fabulous – what a great idea! And I know what you mean about the crazy temperatures – Arizona is the same way! And I’ve never lived somewhere before that has such a HUGE swing between the highs and the lows! It can literally be 17 degrees when I wake up, and by 2 pm its 75! Crazy!
Ashley @ the fit academic recently posted..Why I am carnivorous

14 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday December 2, 2010 at 9:38 am

Wow, that wall looks great!
Watch out though, your wall of fame is going to be completely covered in bibs and medals in NO TIME!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..Black Friday

15 Ali @ Ali on the Run December 2, 2010 at 9:39 am

Wow! That all looks fantastic! I love love love the book. What a great idea, and really well done. Thanks for the inspiration!
Ali @ Ali on the Run recently posted..Worth Waking Up For

16 Brittney December 2, 2010 at 9:41 am

Wow, I love both ideas- the wall with your medals and pictures looks awesome and so does your picture book with all the races. I did a book like that on Snapfish with my wedding pictures that came out great. 🙂
Brittney recently posted..My Christmas List

17 Gwen December 2, 2010 at 9:42 am

LOVE the race book idea! And the race bling holder looks great 🙂
Gwen recently posted..Blessed And thus- Thankful

18 Corey @ the runner's cookie December 2, 2010 at 9:42 am

I love the book idea! How cute. I wish I were as organized as you – I’ve lost so many of my race bibs. I also go to most of my races by myself or with 1 other person who’s running, so I don’t have a ton of great pictures usually

19 movesnmunchies December 2, 2010 at 9:42 am

that’s wonderful! there’s nothing better than to be reminding of your amazing accomplishments!
movesnmunchies recently posted..The MnM Platter

20 Matt December 2, 2010 at 9:43 am

I LOVE that race wall! I need to do that 😉
Matt recently posted..Lemon and Dill Salmon Burgers

21 skinnyrunner December 2, 2010 at 9:43 am

the race book is a good idea, i like that. i always put all my bibs and medals away so i never see them but itd be nice to have a little book to flip through and look at pictures.

22 Emily December 2, 2010 at 9:43 am

Love this idea, Meghan!
I’ve always wanted to make a book in iPhoto, but wasn’t sure how it would turn out. LOVELY 🙂

23 Meghann December 2, 2010 at 10:15 am

iPhoto ROCKS with their photo projects. It’s a little more $$, but it’s worth it because of the great quality you get 🙂

24 Val @ Balancing Val December 2, 2010 at 9:44 am

That race book is an awesome idea!

I’ve only ran one, so mine would be like a post-it . . . . 🙂
Val @ Balancing Val recently posted..Sanitation Sins

25 Krystina December 2, 2010 at 9:46 am

Oh man, that breakfast sounds good.
Krystina recently posted..Stubborn Flourless Chocolate Cookies

26 Mimi December 2, 2010 at 9:47 am

I love the “race bling” holder. So much better than the pile of medals that I currently have!

27 Ali December 2, 2010 at 9:48 am

This is SUCH a great idea!! I’m so impressed, if I ever have that many medals and bibs I will definitely be coming back to this page to organize 😉 for now, my race board isn’t quite as extensive so I don’t need to worry about it just yet. 🙂

28 Tanya December 2, 2010 at 9:49 am

Gotta say awesome idea! I LOVE the race book complete with stats from the race, photos & bib number. Did you have the book printed – that would make a fantastic coffee table book.
Tanya recently posted..Not Such A Newbie Anymore 2011 Race Schedule

29 Chrissy (The New Me) December 2, 2010 at 9:49 am

Your race book looks beautiful! What a great job! Were you able to print and bind it at home too, or did you have to send it off somewhere? I would love to do this, but I’ll need to start taking better photos at my races. Usually I’m so nervous I forget the snaps!
Chrissy (The New Me) recently posted..camping while vegan- corn cakes

30 Meghann December 2, 2010 at 9:52 am

I did it all on iPhoto, but you can do the same thing on SnapFish or even wal mart. Just create a project and you have the option of creating a book. You organize it and press publish and buy. They print it, bind it, and send it to you in pretty book format 🙂

31 Chrissy (The New Me) December 2, 2010 at 9:55 am

Thanks for the info! I’ve used Snapfish before but I guess I’ve never seen a project so well done before. I’m really impressed!
Chrissy (The New Me) recently posted..camping while vegan- corn cakes

32 Brenna December 2, 2010 at 9:50 am

Wow, you’ve really raced this year! I love the book.
Brenna recently posted..new site!

33 Meghann December 2, 2010 at 9:53 am

This was only 2009! I’m waiting for December to end to do this year’s book 🙂

34 Regina December 2, 2010 at 9:54 am

WOW! That book is GORGEOUS! How did you print it and bind it from home?

35 Kelly December 2, 2010 at 9:54 am

Looks great Meghann! Much more organized!

36 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) December 2, 2010 at 9:55 am

That is such a good idea! I don’t have that many bibs yet, but I will keep this in mind when I do.
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..On Not Counting Calories

37 janae @hungryrunnergirl.com December 2, 2010 at 9:56 am

That is absolutely amazing! I will be copying you!
janae @hungryrunnergirl.com recently posted..I truly am a ten year old

38 Casey December 2, 2010 at 10:01 am

It looks fantastic Meghann!! It’s great that you’ve run so many races. You’re inspiring. 🙂

39 Lizzy December 2, 2010 at 10:05 am

this is such a great idea! though i’ve only ran 2 5k’s, a half marathon and a full marathon, i think this would be so much fun to do! what program did you use for the book!?

40 Meghann December 2, 2010 at 10:13 am

I used iPhoto, but I know there are tons of other programs out there you can use I just don’t have any experiences with them 🙂

41 Erin December 2, 2010 at 10:09 am

Love the race book…and I think it would be the perfect Christmas present for a friend who started running the same time I did…Love your wall!!
Erin recently posted..backed up…

42 Meghann December 2, 2010 at 10:16 am

I was just thinking how cool of a Christmas present this would be. Too badd I’ve already bought my sister a zillion things for x-mas this year 🙂

43 Margo December 2, 2010 at 10:12 am

I just got a medal display from Allied Steal, and it’s great. I’m afraid most of my race bibs have ended up in the trash, but I LOVE your race book. In 2011, I’ll be saving my bibs and taking lots of pictures! So inspiring. Thank you!

44 Biz December 2, 2010 at 10:16 am

What a great idea Meghann! My sister’s sister in law and her husband run about 40 races a year – all different kinds. One year she took all their race shirts and turned them into quilts – they turned out really good!

Biz recently posted..Gluten Free Pizza!

45 Meghann December 2, 2010 at 10:19 am

I have a race quilt too! My friend’s mom made it – I love it!

46 Allie December 2, 2010 at 10:22 am

Your breakfast if perfect for a fall day 🙂 Mmm, I never thought of making ‘homemade’ pumpkin yogurt, good idea. I love your race board and bling holder 😉 cute!
Allie recently posted..Pizza Connoisseur

47 Alina @ Duty Free Foodie December 2, 2010 at 10:27 am

That’s such a good idea! Your wall looks really organized now, and the book looks like it would be so much fun to look through every once in a while!
Alina @ Duty Free Foodie recently posted..Seafood Chowder from Heaven

48 Sherry Stevens December 2, 2010 at 10:29 am

I love it. Very creative!

49 Kiran December 2, 2010 at 10:35 am

Love! Love! Love how you’ve organized your race memorabilia’s 🙂 and the scrap booking/album idea!
Kiran recently posted..Pumpkin Cupcakes

50 Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa December 2, 2010 at 10:35 am

I love having a book just for races!! I am so going to do that!
Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa recently posted..to Fargo or not to Fargo

51 Amanda (Eating Up) December 2, 2010 at 10:39 am

That race book is awesome! What a great way to remember all your hard work.
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..Thanksgiving Recipes- The Appetizers

52 Heather @ Side of Sneakers December 2, 2010 at 10:46 am

You are a GENIUS. I’ve seen a lot of creative race-keepsake ideas, but that book is by far the best. You’ll be able to keep it for years and still have it look beautiful & not a mess of bibs! 🙂
Heather @ Side of Sneakers recently posted..The Non-Running Saga- Knee vs Brain

53 Ashley December 2, 2010 at 10:51 am

I love how the wall turned out, and the race book is a genius idea.
Ashley recently posted..Chocolate stops panicking

54 Tami December 2, 2010 at 10:57 am

i love what you have done but if people don’t use their medals and want to find somethign to do with them, I highly recommend check out this site

Tami recently posted..2011

55 Shannon @ Philadelphia Phitness Pharmacy December 2, 2010 at 11:07 am

First of all, I am so jealous of all your bibs and metals! I am doing my first race this winter, I’m already signed up for 3, and I am really excited. I loved how creative you were with your race book! I hope to be able to make one myself next year!
Shannon @ Philadelphia Phitness Pharmacy recently posted..Best Christmas Movies of All Time

56 Stephanie December 2, 2010 at 11:08 am

This is a little off topic but I had to say. Have you tried these?

As a proclaimed pumpkin lover I have to tell you -you must. They will be a wonderful post race treat too! 😉

Medals look great!

57 Bria December 2, 2010 at 11:24 am

I am totally making my boyfriend one of those for Christmas!!! We do so many races together and the bibs just collect dust. Thanks for sharing 🙂

58 Christin@purplebirdblog December 2, 2010 at 11:31 am

This is absolutely brilliant!!! I loooooove that photo book!

59 Leah December 2, 2010 at 11:42 am

I LOVE the race book! Almost makes me want to start racing just so I can have one! 😉

60 Kacy December 2, 2010 at 11:45 am

That’s so cool! I really want one of those medal hangers!

61 grocery goddess jen December 2, 2010 at 11:48 am

Megan, that is awesome! Now you and your future kids and grandkids can easily look back at all of your races! Such a beautiful way to display your memories.
grocery goddess jen recently posted..Since We Last Spoke

62 wendy sue December 2, 2010 at 11:55 am

love the race book idea! I wonder if I can use a site like shutterfly to do the same?
wendy sue recently posted..Wishful Wednesday

63 Lindsey December 2, 2010 at 12:16 pm

That is a great idea! I wish I was creative and photogenic enough for a race book! I definitely asked Santa for an Allied Steel Display though. 🙂 Thanks for sharing
Lindsey recently posted..A Runner Confession and A Runner Rant

64 Jessica @ The Process of Healing December 2, 2010 at 12:17 pm

LOVE your book and the way you have everything set up!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Recovery

65 Cynthia Crowsen December 2, 2010 at 12:44 pm

I love the frames with the medals you won. I have my bib and medal from my 10k but had no idea what to do with it. Now it will be wall art for my gym :0)

66 Kelly December 2, 2010 at 12:50 pm

I love those race medal hangers. My husband is about to do his first half and I’m doing my first full. I should definitely get us two for our office. 🙂
Kelly recently posted..Freestyle’n

67 Jess@atasteofconfidence December 2, 2010 at 12:58 pm

That’s so cool!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..A trip to the mitten state

68 Holly December 2, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Love, love, love the idea…stealing it now 🙂 I was already planning to put race medals up in my office @ work. I have my own office and my walls are BORING! Now, to get copies of the race pics I don’t have because of a certain nasty hurricane in 2005….

69 Maddie (the person) December 2, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Totally just ordered the “Race Bling” holder! LOVE that!! You are too cute!

70 Reenie December 2, 2010 at 1:10 pm

That’s a really kewel book…..

71 Dorry December 2, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I love this! I’m running my 1st race this weekend so I’ll have 1 bib and 1 medal. Gotta start somewhere, right? 🙂
Dorry recently posted..15748

72 Clare @ Fitting It All In December 2, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Looks GREAT miss Martha! And totally love the scrap book idea. I’m going to get one of the medal holders once I have a few more to display:)
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..Busy Sunday

73 Kelly December 2, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Love it all! I want one of those medal organizers so badly!
Kelly recently posted..Roommate Dinner

74 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather December 2, 2010 at 1:57 pm

I am blown away by what you turned your wall into! Not only does it look super cute with all the metals hanging nicely, that book will be something you and your friends can look through easily. You’re so crafty!

75 Kelley December 2, 2010 at 1:59 pm

This is an AMAZING idea!
Kelley recently posted..Christmas Came Early!

76 Lew (ashandlewplus2.com) December 2, 2010 at 2:30 pm

I love your tatoo on your foot.. great pictures.
Lew (ashandlewplus2.com) recently posted..The Ultimate Cheese and Crackers

77 Lisa (bakebikeblog) December 2, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Seriously – this is a brilliant idea!! I may just have to make one of my own race books 🙂
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Will run in the rain for tofu

78 gabriella @ embracement December 2, 2010 at 6:01 pm

love the race book idea – such a neat way to share things with people. I don’t think I could ever run in Florida, I sweat in a 70 degree run in Boston!
gabriella @ embracement recently posted..The Thing with Americans…

79 Lacey @ Lake Life December 2, 2010 at 6:11 pm

Yay organization! That book was a great idea 🙂
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..Columbus was a pilgrim…I swear

80 Monica C. December 2, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Love, love, LOVE the race book!! I wish I had more photos from my races. I have also not kept all of my bibs (I have all of my medals, though and bought a hand-carved, personalized wooden holder for all of them that says “Monica’s Victories” (I ordered it at an expo)).

81 Christine December 2, 2010 at 7:26 pm

Your race book makes me want to take more pictures when I race! I’ve realized my quick cell phone pics aren’t cutting it.
Christine recently posted..Damn You- Potter! Part I

82 Kim @ Kim Lives Healthy December 2, 2010 at 7:39 pm

That’s an awesome idea!!! Where did you get the book, and can you tell us more about the software? It looks professionally done! This will be a great gift for my fiance who is new to running 🙂
Kim @ Kim Lives Healthy recently posted..Masala Flatbread

83 Cynthia December 2, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Love your race scrapbook! Now I want to run races so I can make one as well. 🙂
Cynthia recently posted..It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas

84 Lauren December 2, 2010 at 8:19 pm

I think you need to publish this!!!! Incredible Meghann! 🙂
Lauren recently posted..I Surrender!

85 Lee December 2, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Love the race book. Such a great idea!
Lee recently posted..A Tale of Two Chilis

86 Katy (The Singing Runner) December 2, 2010 at 9:47 pm

I hear you about the weather! It’s been crazy here in Jacksonville!

The race book is a great idea!!! I’ll have to look into that for the upcoming year! 🙂
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..You can tell…

87 Lily's Health Pad December 2, 2010 at 10:07 pm

At first, I thought your before picture was actually the after picture. I was so relieved when I saw the true after pic!

88 Valerie from Love and Running December 2, 2010 at 11:09 pm

I absolutely LOVE your race book!!! I love the idea of making a book!!!!! So cute. I also love the medal rack! I really need to look into buying one those!

🙂
Valerie from Love and Running recently posted..Day 1 of Yoga Challenge Done!

89 Sarah @ EatRunGarden December 3, 2010 at 7:57 am

I love the race book idea. Super cute way to be able to show off all your running accomplishments.
Sarah @ EatRunGarden recently posted..On a Roll

90 Emily December 3, 2010 at 11:12 am

It looks great! It makes your wall look like that of an organized, avid racer!
Emily

91 Lauren @ Crave. Indulge. Satisfy. December 5, 2010 at 9:23 pm

I just discovered your blog! First of all I am also a marathoner, so I’m excited to find another blogger who enjoys racing as much as I do! From looking at your bib#s it seems we have done some of the same marathons! My blog is all about sweets but I have just recently launched a product that I have created for other marathoners and I think you might like it since you are trying to organize all your bib#s and photos! Come over and check out my new website I just launched at http://www.racedaybooks.com! I’ve also got a facebook page! I’d love for you to come check out this product and let me know what you think! If you like what you see please spread the word! By the way, I love how you created a digital book for your race memories in 2009 too, it turned out great!
Lauren @ Crave. Indulge. Satisfy. recently posted..Cute as a Button Pink &amp Gray Baby Shower

92 Elizabeth Boyd January 13, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Thank you.
You page here brought tears to my eyes and made me feel STRONG.

You go Girl, thanks for the inspiration, Did not know needed it until it was sitting on my lap.

Huge Grin.