Don’t Burn the Popcorn

by Meghann on December 1, 2010

I’ve had this bag of popcorn in my desk for a while now. Everyday I tell myself I’m going to eat it as my afternoon snack and everyday I chicken out and go for something else. Popcorn is one of those office snacks my co-workers tend to frown upon. I mean, who likes the smell of burnt popcorn? Not I.

However, today I took the plunge. I really, really wanted it and the coast was clear around the kitchen. I put it in the microwave and crossed my fingers – as I always do – NOT to burn the popcorn. I cooked 30 seconds under and had unpopped kernals, but it was worth it.

I enjoyed my popcorn and had no complaints. Win – Win. πŸ˜‰

After work I had a little project to tackle.

IMG_9327.jpg

(Details to follow, but I promise it’s good. πŸ˜‰ )

So, dinner was quick and easy.

I roasted a local butternut squash I bought at the College Park Farmer’s Market last week with pumpkin spice and paired it with some roasted broccoli.

I topped those veggies with marinara sauce, lentils, and parmesan cheese.

Not sure why I haven’t made lentils in so long. It’s a great source of protein and really doesn’t take that long to cook. I guess it just got lost at the bottom of my pantry? πŸ™‚

For dessert I had 4 GIrl Scout Thin Mints.

Just I said Girl Scout Thin Mints. I almost forgot they were in my freezer. There are still 3 left in there too!

Now, if you’ll excuse me – I’ll get back to my project! I’ll explain more in the morning – too tired to explain now. πŸ™‚

Good Night!

1 Amanda (Eating Up) December 1, 2010 at 9:36 pm

Ah I know what you mean about the popcorn! One time I accidentally brought Indian food to reheat for lunch. I was so embarrassed, and I think I was fanning the air in the break room when I opened the microwave.
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..Thanksgiving Recipes- The Appetizers

2 Ali @ Ali on the Run December 1, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Um, SO jealous you still have Girl Scout cookies. Yum! Frozen Thin Mints are the best.
Ali @ Ali on the Run recently posted..Worth Waking Up For

3 Amy at TheSceneFromMe December 1, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Oh my goodness, I love girl scout thin mint cookies too! They are so good frozen, have you tried them that way?
Amy at TheSceneFromMe recently posted..Cornbread Tamale Pie

4 Meghann December 2, 2010 at 9:23 am

These were from the freezer and they were amazing πŸ™‚

5 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. December 1, 2010 at 9:41 pm

I’ve been so paranoid about popcorn in my office…two months ago, someone burnt some and it set of the fire alarm. We all had to evacuate, the fire department came, and she hasn’t heard the end of it.
mindy @ just a one girl revolution. recently posted..opportunity

6 Alyssa December 1, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Such a fantastic quick easy dinner idea! I feel like I always overthink things trying to find a recipe and then I see you come up with these great inspired combos that don’t take any planning or fancy ingredients.
Alyssa recently posted..The Best Kind of Day

7 Lew (ashandlewplus2.com) December 1, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Do you know how much I love thin Mints? I love them so much I cannot buy them.. Because when I do I cannot stop eating them.. Very sad.. But we all have to learn self control and I am proud that you left three for later. Have a great Night
Lew
p.s good luck with your project
Lew (ashandlewplus2.com) recently posted..The Ultimate Cheese and Crackers

8 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) December 1, 2010 at 9:51 pm

I don’t work in an office, but I have burned popcorn in my house before, and the smell lingers!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..On Not Counting Calories

9 erin December 1, 2010 at 9:55 pm

This year I bought some thin mints and left them at my parents house so i couldn’t sit in front of the tv and eat a whole sleeve…they lasted longer at mom’s…LOVE THEM!
erin recently posted..backed up…

10 Ashley December 1, 2010 at 10:09 pm

I fear popcorn. I don’t want to be the person that sets off the fire alarm and makes everyone march out into the cold. Very courageous of you πŸ™‚
Ashley recently posted..Chocolate stops panicking

11 Christin@purplebirdblog December 1, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Frozen Thin Mints are the bomb dot com!! And your dinner looks delectable!
Christin@purplebirdblog recently posted..Roommate to the Rescue

12 Shelley December 1, 2010 at 10:38 pm

I hate the smell of it, but I actually like slightly burnt popcorn! And I’m the only person I have ever known to like it, but a bit of color on them tastes good to me, weird I know ;).
Shelley recently posted..Tree Day Exhausts Me

13 Natalie December 1, 2010 at 10:54 pm

I love lentils with marinara! It’s such a good combo.

14 Kiran December 1, 2010 at 10:55 pm

I make lentils all the time and its yummy, packed with protein! Would make some Indian version for you to taste soon πŸ™‚
Kiran recently posted..Pumpkin Cupcakes

15 Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life December 1, 2010 at 11:02 pm

I love thin mints! I haven’t had them in so long! When do the Girl Scouts sell their cookies?
Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life recently posted..Christmas Time is Here

16 Meghann December 2, 2010 at 9:24 am

In February πŸ™‚

17 Lacey @ Lake Life December 1, 2010 at 11:05 pm

Office popcorn is definitely a Catch 22. If it’s cooked right, everyone LOVES the smell of it. If it’s burnt, you might as well start packing up your cubical πŸ˜‰
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..Columbus was a pilgrim…I swear

18 Runeatrepeat December 1, 2010 at 11:11 pm

Confession: At my old job (you know, when I had one πŸ™ ) I would tell my friend that I didn’t know how to make popcorn without burning it so she would make it for me. I am a bad person.
A bad person who loves popcorn.
Runeatrepeat recently posted..Tired All Day

19 Anna S @ History Running Girl December 1, 2010 at 11:47 pm

I’m the only one in the office on saturdays, so I usually make popcorn then! I’m still nervous about burning it though.
Anna S @ History Running Girl recently posted..December Goals

20 movesnmunchies December 2, 2010 at 1:29 am

i LOVE girl scout cookies! they should really sell them in stores!
movesnmunchies recently posted..The MnM Platter

21 Laura (Starloz) December 2, 2010 at 4:04 am

how awesome is marinara sauce, so tasty & fast
Laura (Starloz) recently posted..New things are awesome!

22 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) December 2, 2010 at 4:45 am

I love how colorful your dinner is. I know Girl Scout cookies wouldn’t last that long in my freezer!
Michelle (The Runner’s Plate) recently posted..And you thought you had it bad

23 Matt December 2, 2010 at 6:51 am

When I worked in an office for a few summers as an intern, there was ALWAYS the smell of burned popcorn. I could always know it was coming around 3:00 πŸ˜‰
Matt recently posted..You Know Your A Runner When…

24 Lauren December 2, 2010 at 6:52 am

The only way I eat popcorn is if it is burnt so I’m sure I would be the hated one in the office.
Can’t wait to see your project!! It looks great already!
Lauren recently posted..I Surrender!

25 Allie December 2, 2010 at 7:16 am

Lentils + squash = love πŸ™‚ good luck with your project!
Allie recently posted..Pizza Connoisseur

26 Faith @ lovelyascharged December 2, 2010 at 8:02 am

Ha, my poor roomie always teased me that our room would smell like burnt froot loops because I had a lime-zest popcorn that I LOVED but would always scorch! The sad thing is…she was right!
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..Show-off

27 Sarah @ Going on Goals December 2, 2010 at 11:09 am

I love love love what you did with your race bling and bibs. It looks soo great!
Sarah @ Going on Goals recently posted..Rachael Rays 37 Minute Meal

28 Amanda December 2, 2010 at 11:47 am

I used to work with a guy who made popcorn everyday. And burned it. Every.Day.
You would think after a year, he would have changed the popping time or take it out when it started to smell but no, just let it burn.
Amanda recently posted..Thanks

29 Clare @ Fitting It All In December 2, 2010 at 1:35 pm

AHH thin mints are the best! I don’t know how you didn’t just eat those last 3….
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..Busy Sunday

30 Jenna Mock December 2, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Yum that dinner looks tasty!
Jenna Mock recently posted..Im Freezing My Royal White Girl Nay-Nays Off