Christmas in Orlando

by Meghann on November 30, 2010

I think I can get used to this whole ‘taper before the marathon’ week. I get to sleep in, I don’t have to focus on pace, and I just feel relaxed…. why do people complain about tapering again?! 😉

I kept it easy again this morning with some strides. I ran three miles and then did half a dozen 100 meter strides at the end. I really focused on opening up my legs and letting them glide me at the end. Strides are great hip openers and really stretch out your legs.

I broke out the snowflakes bowls for Christmas this morning.

IMG_9209

I have a slight obsession with snowflakes that I’ve managed to tone down over the years. Growing up I didn’t care what time of year it was (or the fact that I lived in Florida) I would have snowflakes up all year around. I still love snowflakes with a passion and think they are all so beautiful and unique, but have learned they are (sadly) a seasonal thing. Even if I don’t display them around my apartment year round anymore I still have one tattooed on my foot that I LOVE and reminds me everyday how special and unique I am – just like a snowflake. 🙂

IMG_9216

Today bowl of cereal included:

• 1/2 cup Honey Nut Os
  • 1/2 cup Peanut Butter Puffins
  • 1/4 cup Jessica’s Chocolate Chip Granola
  • Vanilla Yogurt
  • Cherries
  • Blueberries

IMG_9219

Christmas in Orlando

Looking for some exciting activities to celebrate the Christmas season in Orlando this year? Check out my list of fun picks around the city.

What are your favorite hometown holiday celebrations?

1 Shannon @ Freshman Yr of Life November 30, 2010 at 9:45 am

Walking around downtown Syracuse, sipping on a peppermint mocha from Starbucks and looking at all the pretty lights with my mom!
Shannon @ Freshman Yr of Life recently posted..Home Sweet Home

2 Lauren @ Running Examiner November 30, 2010 at 11:57 am

This reminds me so much of my Christmases! Syracuse really is beautiful around this time of year.
Lauren @ Running Examiner recently posted..The accidental running buddy

3 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 30, 2010 at 9:45 am

Your breakfast looks so pretty! I am envious that you live in Orlando – we get our fair share of snow and dull weather up here in Ontario but I’m definitely a warm weather girl. My favourite holiday celebrations are usually ice skating and Christmas potluck meals with friends. Oh, and does going to Starbucks for a drink in a red cup count? 😉
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..A word about restaurant salads

4 holly @ yepiatethat November 30, 2010 at 9:46 am

Ziplining sounds like so much fun!! I need to check out if we have anything like that around here!
holly @ yepiatethat recently posted..Pumpkin Coconut Bread

5 Freya November 30, 2010 at 9:46 am

Late night shopping in town..it’s dark and cold, bands play, it normally rains, but everyone is so happy!
Freya recently posted..Sometimes…

6 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) November 30, 2010 at 9:47 am

There’s a huge event at Hyde Park in London called Winter Wonderland which is great, and I love going to! Ice skating, a fun fair, and all sorts of other fun things! 🙂 Christmas in Orlando looks great!
Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) recently posted..Pressures from the blog world…

7 Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life November 30, 2010 at 9:48 am

Cute pic with the Grinch! I love going to the Courthouse Christmas Tree Lighting every year! It’s so much fun, everyone gathered together singing songs and waiting for the lights!
Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life recently posted..Christmas Time is Here

8 Heather @ Dietitian on the Run November 30, 2010 at 9:53 am

I’ve never thought too much about a snowflake, but love that you took it to a Tattoo level 🙂 Also love that “Jimmy John’s” is part of your College Memories post – my roomie/best friend from college worked there 3 out of our 4 years at Penn State! I’m sort of obsessed with their pickles….
Heather @ Dietitian on the Run recently posted..Time to Vote! The Veggie Athlete Diet

9 Kaitlin November 30, 2010 at 9:53 am

That zipline activity sounds fantastic! Also I love the grinch picture. It seems like Orlando is a really fun place to be for Christmas, even though there’s no snow!
Kaitlin recently posted..On Wisconsin

10 Molly November 30, 2010 at 9:55 am

Every Christmas eve my family and I drive about 20 min to see a neighborhood where everyone decorates. Its amazing! We also read the Grinch. I love going to Rogers Garden in Newport Beach to see all their trees lit up

11 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun November 30, 2010 at 9:59 am

You have some awesome things to do in Orlando! I’m jealous!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..high school date night

12 Amy November 30, 2010 at 10:05 am

We have a Messiah Sing-In every year which I wouldn’t miss for the world. It’s so fun!
Amy recently posted..happenings

13 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday November 30, 2010 at 10:19 am

I think it’s kinda sad to live in an area that doesn’t have 4 seasons. You really miss out on all the fun stuff… like making your own backyard ice rink, or a snow fort.
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..Black Friday

14 Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow November 30, 2010 at 10:28 am

In San Antonio we had the riverwalk lighting which was just beautiful! I have so many memories of that…
Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow recently posted..Random Tuesday

15 Laura @ Backstage Pass November 30, 2010 at 10:29 am

All of those Orlando holiday activities look fun!
In Milwaukee, there is a holiday lights festival that is kinda neat, but otherwise there’s nothing major. I enjoy driving around and looking at home light and decor displays. A house across the street has a huge sign with a countdown to Christmas Day. Very cute!
Laura @ Backstage Pass recently posted..Tis the season- an awesome gift for that preggo in your life

16 Amanda (Eating Up) November 30, 2010 at 10:31 am

I like to go ice skating in Millennium Park–as long as I don’t hit my head (again)!
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..Thanksgiving Recipes- The Appetizers

17 Kelly November 30, 2010 at 10:36 am

Since I just moved to the DC area, I really want to go to the Christmas tree lighting this year!
Kelly recently posted..First Day!

18 janae @hungryrunnergirl.com November 30, 2010 at 10:37 am

I love tapering:) Orlando looks like a lot of fun during the Christmas season. I just love going ice skating during Christmas break with lots of hot chocolate of course!
janae @hungryrunnergirl.com recently posted..I truly am a ten year old

19 Allie November 30, 2010 at 10:39 am

Sounds like some fun stuff goes on in Orlando for Christmas!!
Allie recently posted..Seafood Galore

20 Shanna, like Banana November 30, 2010 at 10:56 am

Well I’m orginally from Madison, WI so seeing the tree put up at the Capitol was always a beautiful site 🙂

Now that I’m near San Francisco, it feels slightly less holiday-y, but cutting down the xmas tree is still a must!
Shanna, like Banana recently posted..7 pieces of pie…really!!

21 Sarah for Real November 30, 2010 at 11:11 am

When I lived in Western Washington, we’d always go to the Tree Festival (fundraiser for the Children’s Hospital). I volunteered for years and it’s the MOST Christmas-y event I’ve ever been to.

22 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) November 30, 2010 at 11:31 am

I never understood why people complained about tapering either! I loved it. Maybe a little too much, but it was awesome!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..On Not Counting Calories

23 Haleigh November 30, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Love the snowflake bowl! I have a beautiful photo of snowflakes on my desktop year round, haha 😉
Haleigh recently posted..Speechless

24 Heather November 30, 2010 at 12:09 pm

I just got out my Christmas dishes and bowls last night and can’t wait to use them!
I’m so jealous of the ziplining…….super cool!
Heather recently posted..Greensburg Turkey Trot

25 movesnmunchies November 30, 2010 at 12:39 pm

you have the best christmas adventures! zip lining sounds incredible- you must take loads of pictures!
movesnmunchies recently posted..The MnM Platter

26 Clare @ Fitting It All In November 30, 2010 at 12:55 pm

I love Ice Skating outside in Forest Park and seeing the Christmas Lights! There is also a cool thing in St. Louis called “Christmas Around The World” where each country decorates a hearth or tree according to their cultural traditions. SO NEAT!
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..Busy Sunday

27 Christin@purplebirdblog November 30, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Hellooooooo bowl of cereal! That is my kinda breakfast! 😀

28 Jessica@tastyandtrim November 30, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Your cereal bowl looks so colorful and delicious! My favorite hometown celebration is the lighting of the christmas trees in my town 🙂
Jessica@tastyandtrim recently posted..Tasty New Fro-yo Spot

29 Ali @ Ali on the Run November 30, 2010 at 1:53 pm

I live in NYC, so the holiday traditions are endless! I of course love going to see the tree at Rockefeller Center and I love the dancing snowflakes at Saks Fifth Avenue. The whole city is decorated and there are lights everywhere. I can’t help but be happy!

30 ellie November 30, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Pretty sure you wouldn’t be obsessed with snowflakes if you lived in Wisconsin like me…They get pretty old by April. haha

This isn’t an event or anything – but I love how my small town decorates for Christmas – they put garlands and signs that stretch across our tiny main street. It feels very old fashioned – I love it!

31 Katy (The Singing Runner) November 30, 2010 at 2:17 pm

I don’t really have any hometown Christmas celebrations…but I do want to head down to Disney for Christmas again. I went last year and it was so much fun! 🙂

32 Jenna Mock November 30, 2010 at 2:54 pm

I have always wanted to go to ICE at Gaylord Palms! Ahh I am so jealous 🙂
Jenna Mock recently posted..Oh Hey Whipped Cream

33 Marika December 1, 2010 at 3:21 am

I live in a city where there are beautiful medieval buildings, and when they’re all covered in snow it’s really like walking around in a fairy tale. There are also cute outdoor Christmas markets where you can do Christmas shopping and sip on hot mulled wine :-).
Marika recently posted..I did it!

34 jessica December 2, 2010 at 2:05 pm

I love what you said about snowflakes! They are so beautiful. I remember the first time I saw a crisp, tiny, perfectly defined snowflake. I was skiing in Montana and one fell on my black ski coat. The contrast made each little line look so sharp and the beautiful design stand out. It’s all about finding joy in the simple things, right 😉
jessica recently posted..New Month- New Goals

35 CarrieBeth Sherwood December 2, 2010 at 3:01 pm

you should check out my last post…it’s about snowflakes!
CarrieBeth Sherwood recently posted..let it snow! let it snow! let it snow!

36 Jasmine September 9, 2011 at 7:39 am

Your breakfast looks so great and healthy! It seems you had so much fun at your trip..
Jasmine recently posted..Repetitive Strain Injury Compensation Claims