Supporting my Crew

by Meghann on November 28, 2010

I’m so proud of my little half marathoners this morning.

• Kelly rocked her first half marathon of the season and beat her previous Space Coast Half Marathon time by a full minute and a half.
  • Ben finished his first half marathon in record speed crushing his goal by 20 minutes.
  • Derek dominated this race beating his previous half marathon PR by 17 minutes!!!

Seriously these three rock! It was a beautiful day for a race and a beautiful day to beat some goals! πŸ™‚

The morning started early though. Really early. We were up by 4:45 in order to make it to the 6:15 (!!) race start. I guess Florida is the only state with ridiculously early race starts? My marathon next weekend starts at 6:00!

Before we left I had a pear to tide me over during my job of spectator.

In typical race day fashion, we arrived at the start about 10 minutes before the fun went off. This gave us just enough time to find an illegal parking spot and let the runners have a quick pass at the porta potties.

Ready or not – it was time to run!

The course was a simple out and back along the river, so as soon as we saw Ben, Derek, and Kelly pass us at the start we hopped in the car and found a spot 4 or 5 miles down the road. As a spectator the fact that it was an out and back course worked out nicely for us. We were able to stay in one spot and see the trio pass by us twice – once on the way out and once on the way back.

We saw Kelly come up first. She was looking great and was just a few feet behind the 1:50 pace group.

Check out Kelly’s hair when she runs. It’s out of control!

IMG_8814.JPG IMG_8815.JPG IMG_8816.JPG

We figured we had a ton of time before Ben and Derek would pass, but were pleasantly surprised when we saw them appear just after the 2:00 pace group and running side by side!

Then we had some time to kill and had a chance to check out some of the crazy runners out there.

Like the woman running with a tri-stroller (and was keeping a sub-8:00 pace!)

Or the couple who were joint aliens.

We even saw dolphins in the water by the course!

It wasn’t long before the 1:50 pace group passed us going the opposite direction and right on queue Kelly was pulling up the rear.

She blew us kisses.

Go Kelly Go!

5 minutes pass.

Me: “I wonder where Ben and Derek are.”

Ashley: ” Oh wait, there’s shirtless boy and there’s Derek. Here’s they come.”

I guess it really isn’t possible for my brother to finish a race with his shirt on?

Oh, Derek.

We know you’re sexy too!

IMG_8920.jpg

We saw the guys pass and hopped back in the car with a goal to beat Kelly to the finish line. We cut it close, but we made it back just in time to see Kelly coming up the path.

Way to go Kelly! She finished strong, but you’ll have to check out her blog for the full story and her official time! πŸ˜‰

‘Shirtless Boy’ came up solo and crossed just after 2:11!

I was so proud of my little brother. He said he felt great at the end and ended up having negative splits in the end. I told him that’s what he is suppose to do and that means he ran a great race!

Ben and Derek had split up around mile 9, but after Ben crossed at 2:11 I knew Derek was well within reach of beating his goal of 2:30. He looked great both times I saw him along the course and I was just biting my finger nails in anticipation of seeing him finish.

Luckily, I didn’t have to wait long. Derek reached the finish just after 2:19.

He not only beat his PR, he SMASHED it!

Once the half marathoners were all set – it was time to eat!

My Dad found a cute little diner near the race site and I ordered a veggie scramble, home fries and rye toast for breakfast.

I devoured both plates. Spectating is hard work! πŸ˜‰

The doggies agree.

I can sleep through anything. Even a pack of crazy puppies jumping all over. πŸ˜‰

1 Angela November 28, 2010 at 1:24 pm

amazing! amazing! Loved this recap and so proud of everyone! Didn’t mind the few shirtless shots either πŸ˜‰ Can’t wait until I’m strong enough to run a half or full marathon! Maybe I’ll start running again soon (after the German snow clears away!!)
Angela recently posted..Weekly Spending Recap- 22-11-28-11

2 Michele @ Healthy Cultivations November 28, 2010 at 1:25 pm

I am in complete awe of the woman with the tri-stroller keeping a sub 8 pace. That is INCREDIBLE!!! She must be super woman. Can you imagine what kind of pace she could maintain without the stroller?

Looks like a great day for all!!!
Michele @ Healthy Cultivations recently posted..In Need of Vegetables &amp the Six Random Questions

3 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine November 28, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Congrats to the three of them!! Running a half is such hard work- they should all be proud of themselves for finishing!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Carb Heaven

4 Elise November 28, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Sounds like a great (but early) Sunday to me! Three half marathoners!! Way to go — and all had great runs!! Good luck on your marathon next weekend!

And spectating is hard work — The spectators at my marathon estimated that they burned 500 calories just moving around the course and cheering πŸ˜‰
Elise recently posted..Thanksgiving 2010- Meet Edna…

5 Stefanie November 28, 2010 at 1:28 pm

How awesome! I can’t wait to run my first half marathon! πŸ™‚
Stefanie recently posted..Gameworks- Thai- and Froyo…oh my!

6 B November 28, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Way to go to the half marathoners! And great work spectating! πŸ™‚

However, just an FYI, you did you call your brother “SHITless” boy in your post instead of “SHIRTless” LOL πŸ˜‰
B recently posted..If at first you don’t succeed

7 KristyRuns November 28, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Congrats to everyone! They all looked fast and strong! πŸ™‚

8 Shannon, Tropical Eats November 28, 2010 at 1:55 pm

hahaha you guys are such a fun family!

i lolled so many times reading about your shirtless bro, her hair whippin around, and your bf pullin up his shirt.

congrats to everyone! You’re an awesome race photographer πŸ™‚
Shannon, Tropical Eats recently posted..Keepin Busy oh and Jim Carrey

9 Laura November 28, 2010 at 2:03 pm

What a great race for all 3 of them! And go Derek! Way to KILL his previous PR!
Laura recently posted..Spicy Thai Peanut Chicken

10 Matt November 28, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Congrats to the half marathoners!
Matt recently posted..Honey-Spelt Dinner Rolls

11 Tangy @ A Taste of Tangy November 28, 2010 at 2:34 pm

I think most of our races start at 7 or 8 here (IL) but I could be wrong! 6 does seem extra early!
Tangy @ A Taste of Tangy recently posted..No Thanks

12 Sarah @ EatRunGarden November 28, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Way to go Ben, Derek and Kelly.
I think I have a new hero (that women with the stroller) and I always think it’s so funny that every race you show us with your brother he starts out with his shirt but by the end he is shirtless.

13 Paige @ Running Around Normal November 28, 2010 at 2:50 pm

6:15 start time?!?! Yikes!
Congrats to Derek, Ben, and Kelly πŸ˜€
LOL at Derek’s boob shot haha
Paige @ Running Around Normal recently posted..My First Thanksgiving Meal

14 Jessi @ Quirky Cookery November 28, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Grats to Kelly, Ben, and Derek. The pictures are awesome….they look like they’re having so much fun!

And that tri-stroller runner is so awesome!
Jessi @ Quirky Cookery recently posted..All the colors of the rainbow

15 Sana November 28, 2010 at 2:56 pm

LOL! had no idea you were sleeping in that last pic! Too cute!
Sana recently posted..Sometimes

16 Courtney November 28, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Cant imagine running a half-marathon a couple days after Thankssgiving, I am pretty sure I am still digesting–kudos to them!

And on my Google Reader feed it still came up as “Shitless Boy” (which you have since corrected, dont worry!) and it made me LOL. Perhaps the best typo ever!!

17 Faith @ lovelyascharged November 28, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Congrats to all three of them!!!
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..See-Food- not Seafood!

18 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun November 28, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Huge congrats to all of them! And Derek is too funny with his shirt lifting antics.

That woman with the jogging stroller is CRAZY! I can’t imagine running that pace with one of those. They are tough to run with. I know!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..high school date night

19 Lisa (bakebikeblog) November 28, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Congrats to all!!! And that lady with the tri-stroller is one awesome runner!!!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Sunday Spelt Pide

20 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) November 28, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Haha at shirtless Ben again! πŸ˜›
Wow at jogging stroller woman! A sub 8.00 pace is one thing, but pushing that as well! Phew!
Well done to all the competitors, and of course to a great spectator! πŸ˜€ Can’t wait to read all about your marathon next week!

21 Mimi November 28, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Even though they didn’t all finish together, I bet it was still fun to share the experience of a race. Plus, it sounds like a great occasion to be a spectator!
Mimi recently posted..A Dallas Thanksgiving

22 Bria November 28, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Meghann I always love your race pics. They look awesome! What setting/lens do you use to get them so crisp?? I am clearly still a rookie when it comes to SLR haha
Bria recently posted..Twas the Month Before Christmas 10k

23 Lacey @ Lake Life November 28, 2010 at 4:26 pm

CONGRATS to the runners and let me say, on behalf of all of your female readers, it’s just such a terrible shame that your brother can’t seem to finish a race without taking his shirt off πŸ˜‰

Yeah, that was sarcasm, lol.

24 Kiran November 28, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Woot Woot!! Congrats to all 3 of them πŸ™‚
Kiran recently posted..Stir-fry Tilapia with Asparagus

25 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life November 28, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Post like this totally inspire me and excite me about my first half! It’s still a long ways away, but post like this keep me excited about training!

Congratulations to all three of them! Awesome times all around!
Jillian @ Reshape Your Life recently posted..So Over Painting

26 steph November 28, 2010 at 5:54 pm

I like Derek even more after him flashing you a nip. That’s awesome.

27 Laura (Starloz) November 28, 2010 at 7:01 pm

great recap, i love that you were there with them
Laura (Starloz) recently posted..My First Thanksgiving Recap

28 holly @ yepiatethat November 28, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Dolphins along the race course!!? I am seriously gonna have to run a race in Florida!
holly @ yepiatethat recently posted..Brrrrrrr

29 natalie @ http://healthybalancingact.blogspot.com/ November 28, 2010 at 7:27 pm

congrats to those guys they all made great times and i didnt mind the shirtless shots either (sorry being a sister of three bros i know its gross when people say that about your brothers)…i had to gasp at the lady with the pram…what a super women!
natalie @ http://healthybalancingact.blogspot.com/ recently posted..10K Playlist

30 rebecca lustig November 28, 2010 at 7:41 pm

i laughed SO hard when i saw the pic of the joint couple. thats great!!

congrats for them

31 Jess November 28, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Congrats to all three of your racers!!!

Your brother totally rocked his first half. Negative splits and all, he ran such a smart race! Good for him!

And major props to Derek and Kelly for having such a great race too.

I bet they were glad to have such an awesome spectator there to cheer them on!
Jess recently posted..Rest Day Reading

32 Katy (The Singing Runner) November 28, 2010 at 8:24 pm

That woman with the stroller is a beast! Props to her!

Looks like it was a great day with a fun atmosphere! πŸ™‚

Bet you can’t wait for your race. πŸ˜‰
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Fact

33 Lorin November 28, 2010 at 11:24 pm

That looks fun, very inspiring! Although, I tried to go to your sisters blog to see her recap, but it wasn’t up, it was only the november 22nd post. I wasn’t sure if I was looking at the right place or not, but she may have not written one yet which is totally undestandable.

34 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday November 29, 2010 at 8:45 am

HAHA. Too funny.

Men who run without their shirts on always make me roll my eyes.
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..Black Friday

35 Ali November 29, 2010 at 4:44 pm

I loved this post! It is always so inspiring to watch (or read) about someone else’s success in races and running! ps-I wish it was that warm here! Today was a “warm” day in Western NY and it was only 45*
Ali recently posted..Triathlon