Happy Thanksgiving 2010

by Meghann on November 26, 2010

Meet Lyllian Rose

She’s 3 weeks old and perfect in absolutely every way.

So, perfect, in fact, I didn’t want to give her back.

I mean… doesn’t this picture just work?

IMG_8381.jpg

Holidays and babies just go together and my cousin’s newborn was a welcome addition to our family. She was passed from family member to family member receiving nothing, but love. I know my time for babies isn’t quite right yet, but it’s fun to borrow one in the mean time. πŸ˜‰

IMG_8371.jpg

Thanksgiving was celebrated at my Aunt Carol and Uncle Bob’s house this year. As always they did a wonderful drop welcoming over 30 family members into their loving home.

First up – the wine.

IMG_8338.JPG IMG_8339.JPG IMG_8340.JPG

I had three small glasses of Merlot throughout the day.

IMG_8341.jpg

Munchin’ table.

My Mom’s famous cheeseball was a hit, as always. I had two or three cheese filled crackers as well as other various nibbles from the table. My Aunt’s bacon wrapped chicken went fast, but I did get a bite and it was too fabulous for words. πŸ˜‰

IMG_8351.jpg

IMG_8359.JPG IMG_8360.JPG IMG_8361.JPG

It’s Turkey Time!

My Aunt found a THIRTY-FOUR pound turkey to feed our large family!

That’s one big bird!

And A LOT of turkey!

IMG_8410.jpg

Don’t worry there was plenty of other goodies too. πŸ˜‰

We dined outside in the beautiful Florida sunshine. Can you believe we were actually sweating outside?

I tried to squeeze a little taste of everything onto my plate – it filled up fast!

My favorites included the corn casserole and cranberry sauce, but honestly, I loved it all. πŸ™‚

Now, the dessert table is really where all the magic happens.

Heaven on a plate!

My Pecan Pie came out! Can you believe it?!?! I had nothing but compliments for the pecan pie. Pie Success!

And , of course, it wouldn’t be Thanksgiving without the traditional making of Glurg.

Glurg is a super secret family recipe for a warm, delicious alcoholic beverage. Just one sip will grow hair on your chest.

IMG_8469.jpg

Shhh…. don’t tell my uncles I showed this to ya. πŸ˜‰

Just know it includes all of the above.

And these nuts are the best nuts you will ever have in your life. πŸ˜‰

IMG_8509.JPG IMG_8510.JPG

IMG_8513.JPG IMG_8516.JPG

So. Full.

I’ve been picking at left overs all evening and have stuffed myself silly. An early bed time is in my very near future.

Black Friday starts tomorrow. See you at the malls!

1 movesnmunchies November 26, 2010 at 5:22 am

my golly! what a feast!!! that looks like a blast and beautiful weather!
movesnmunchies recently posted..The MnM Platter

2 Caroline November 26, 2010 at 5:23 am

Derek’s expression in the picture with you two and the baby is hilarious! Glad you had a wonderful holiday, and congrats on the pecan pie!!

3 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) November 26, 2010 at 6:32 am

Wow that is one hell of a feast! And the baby is SO cute…I would have stolen her! πŸ˜›
Glad you had a great Thanksgiving! πŸ˜€
Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) recently posted..A Bittersweet Thanksgiving

4 Angela November 26, 2010 at 7:30 am

YUM! And ugh black fridays while overseas is just no good! Currently debating on a garmin 205 or waiting to see a lower price for the 305.
Angela recently posted..HAPPY TURKEY DAY!

5 Rachael November 26, 2010 at 7:39 am

Oh. My God. You and Lyllian. Derek and Lyllian. You and Derek and Lyllian. That’s a match made in heaven if I’ve ever seen it.. what a good looking bunch! πŸ™‚
Rachael recently posted..presents and bubblegum

6 Lee November 26, 2010 at 7:55 am

Your family functions always look like so much fun. I wish I had a big family like you do!

7 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine November 26, 2010 at 8:05 am

That first picture of you and Lyllian is GORGEOUS with the light in the background. Definitely a framer!!

Ugh, I picked at dessert leftovers last night until I couldn’t move. I love Thanksgiving πŸ™‚
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..My Thanksgiving

8 Sarah @ Long Legs Healthy Life November 26, 2010 at 8:15 am

What an amazing feast!! I’m a little jealous you got to eat inside, I’m in Canada, and it was snowing/raining all day yesterday.

Happy Thanksgiving/Shopping!
Sarah @ Long Legs Healthy Life recently posted..Health From The Inside Out

9 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life November 26, 2010 at 8:19 am

That second picture of you with the baby is GORGEOUS!

It looks like you had quite a feast and a wonderful time with your family!

p.s. the “family” picture of you and Derek with the baby is adorable. πŸ˜‰
Jillian @ Reshape Your Life recently posted..Happy Thanksgiving!

10 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday November 26, 2010 at 8:22 am

Derek looks terrified in that picture of the two of you with the baby.
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..Breakfast in Bed

11 Lacey @ Lake Life November 26, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Lol, I thought the same thing! Way to put pressure on a guy πŸ˜‰
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..Columbus was a pilgrim…I swear

12 Matt November 26, 2010 at 8:31 am

Looks like a great Thanksgiving full of FAMILY. That is what it’s all about πŸ˜‰
Matt recently posted..2010 Thanksgiving Turkey Trot

13 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 26, 2010 at 8:32 am

WOWWWW what a feast! Everything looks so delicious and I love how your aunt decorated the table! Sounds like a wonderful Thanksgiving. πŸ™‚
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Grocery store shower

14 grocery goddess jen November 26, 2010 at 8:36 am

That looks like so much fun! Since I have such a small family, I’m always a little envious of big gatherings.

So….is Derek getting you anything special for Christmas so you guys can get on the road to having your own adorable newborn??
grocery goddess jen recently posted..No Dice

15 Gracie November 26, 2010 at 8:52 am

“Just one sip will grow hair on your chest.” <— bahaha πŸ™‚
Gracie recently posted..Thanksgiving 2010

16 rebecca lustig November 26, 2010 at 9:08 am

i love borrowing babies! you get to play with them all day, with the chance to give them back at any moment.

although i cant wait to be a mom. but i can wait. but, you know πŸ˜‰

17 Amy November 26, 2010 at 9:45 am

Meghann, my eyes are green with envy reading all about your family.

You are truly blessed. πŸ™‚
Amy recently posted..Rock Bottom

18 Erika [FoodFitnessFun] November 26, 2010 at 10:00 am

Happy Thanksgiving! I am drooling just looking at all that food. You have a big family! πŸ˜›

19 Biz November 26, 2010 at 10:04 am

Always a wee bit jealous at your huge family – we only had 1 guest yesterday!

Everything looks great – and that baby? I want to give it lots of kisses!
Biz recently posted..Blogger Lunch!

20 Jessica November 26, 2010 at 10:05 am

Is Glurg the same as Glogg?? My family is of swedish descent and we have Glogg every Christmas! STRONG stuff (and maybe kind of an acquired taste?) but so good! I wonder if there’s variation on the two recipes or if they’re one and the same?
Your Thanksgiving looked really wonderful — Happy Holidays!
Jessica recently posted..the best grilled cheese sandwiches ever

21 Ashley November 26, 2010 at 11:20 am

That little girl is truly adorable. And you look so amazing with her. Especially the first picture. That feast looks incredible especially with so many people. I wish my family was that big!
Ashley recently posted..Chocolate stops panicking

22 Marina November 26, 2010 at 11:30 am

Again, jealous at your family gatherings, and so much great food.
I’m glad you had fun.
And you look beautiful holding that baby πŸ˜‰

23 Beth @ Will Run for Books November 26, 2010 at 11:55 am

Ohter people know about Glurg too πŸ˜‰ I actually think it tastes like potpourri…yuck.
Beth @ Will Run for Books recently posted..What I’m Reading Now

24 Alina @ Duty Free Foodie November 26, 2010 at 11:55 am

Congratulations on the pie!! Making pecan pie is one of my goals for 2011.
Alina @ Duty Free Foodie recently posted..Ten Questions

25 Jess-The Semi Abnormal Gal November 26, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Love the full length of you and Derrek is great….Christmas card? Or maybe a catalog ad?

Where those carrots I spied in the Glug?
Jess-The Semi Abnormal Gal recently posted..Spinach and Artichoke Wontons

26 Kendel @ Eating Abroad November 26, 2010 at 12:29 pm

You two look almost too good with that baby! Lyllian Rose rose is a popular name lately! I know one other baby named Lillian Rose and a friend recently had a Lily Rose. It’s a beautiful name any way!
Kendel @ Eating Abroad recently posted..Expat Blogs

27 kirsten November 26, 2010 at 1:08 pm

you and derek look so cute with a baby πŸ™‚

28 Amy November 26, 2010 at 1:10 pm

You make glurg! We call it glog, but it’s the same principle. Yum yum.

Also I love your top, where’s it from?
Amy recently posted..fyi

29 Beatrice November 26, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Wow, so fun reading about another family’s tradition. In Ohio we had rain and snow yesterday- no eating outside for us. Your Aunt and Uncle are troopers for entertaining that many people. I could just barely handle my own immediate family!

30 Anne @ Your Kind of Salad November 26, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Looks like it was a beautiful day!
I love the glurg! A good friend of mine is Swedish; and for her parents’ annual Christmas party; they make a huge pot of glug! I love it (and usually go around eating everyone’s leftover boozy raisins and almonds from their drinks) SO GOOD!

31 Sarah @ EatRunGarden November 26, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Happy Thanksgiving! (well a day late). I am very jealous of your ability to eat Thanksgiving outside, it was in the high 30’s around here. πŸ™‚ That drink looked pretty strong too.
Sarah @ EatRunGarden recently posted..Thanksgiving

32 kathleen November 26, 2010 at 4:23 pm

that bunsen burner type thing that the pot of glurg is sitting on looks like what my family used to make pancakes the morning after hurricanes would hit and inevitably cause a power outage. oh the memories of growing up in florida.
kathleen recently posted..Breakfast &amp Belly – week 37

33 Amy at TheSceneFromMe November 26, 2010 at 5:11 pm

What a picturesque setting for a Thanksgiving meal. Be thanksful it was warm enough to eat outside. So not the case here in the midwest!

Love your boots too!
Amy at TheSceneFromMe recently posted..Gobblepalooza

34 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] November 26, 2010 at 5:49 pm

That’s so awesome you got to eat your Thanksgiving meal outdoors!!

Your aunt’s decorations are beautiful… everything looks festive, fun, a yum yum!! πŸ˜‰
Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] recently posted..A Gracious Good Night

35 Lacey @ Lake Life November 26, 2010 at 6:09 pm

That is one of the most impressive Thanksgiving spreads I’ve ever seen!

Random but you and your bro make the same “looking up into space while drinking wine” expression πŸ™‚
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..Columbus was a pilgrim…I swear

36 Brittany (Eating Bird Food) November 26, 2010 at 6:43 pm

I LOVE reading your holiday posts because you’re always at an event with your whole family. It looks so fun!!

And, yes Lyllian Rose is a total doll baby.

Happy Thanksgiving Meghann.

PS- Can you ship me some glurg? Thanks. πŸ™‚

37 Alexa November 26, 2010 at 11:49 pm

Here I go again, LOVING your clothes. Where did you get the blue top?? I think I’ve seen it at Target, but want to check. =)

38 Marika November 27, 2010 at 3:51 am

Goes the glurg tradition come from the Finnish side of your family? Like some other commenters have noted, “glurg” sounds like “glΓΆgg”, the warm alcoholic drink popular in Finland/Sweden/Estonia.
In that pic of you and Derek outside I immediately spotted the Yuengling bottle in his hand. I didn’t know you could get Yuengling in Florida!
Marika recently posted..Friday night

39 Marika November 27, 2010 at 3:52 am

Oops, I meant “Does”, not “Goes”.

40 Nadine November 29, 2010 at 4:17 am

I love your family get togethers…I hope to one day start something like that with my family. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving! By the way where did you get your cute boots?