more ยป" />

Foodbuzz 24×24: Anderson Family Turkey Trot 5k

by Meghann on November 25, 2010

On your marks…

Get Set….

GO!!!!!

For the last few Thanksgivings I’ve had my heart set on running a Thanksgiving Day Turkey Trot of some sort. In 2008 I spent Thanksgiving morning running my last long run before my my first half marathon (an 11 miler) and in 2009 my sister and I created our own Thanksgiving Day 10k around my parents’ neighborhood.

You see, my family comes from a small town and sadly the closest official Turkey Trot is an hour or so away. Not cool when you have a full day of Thanksgiving activities to prepare for. So, instead of driving an hour, I decided this Thanksgiving my family would create our own Turkey Trot.

Introducing….

Screen shot 2010-11-25 at 10.39.40 AM.png

This is a dog friendly event which the whole family can enjoy. ;)

I had my entire family up at 7:00am this morning ready to run.

Every great race needs a great location and we choose Chain of Lakes Parks for ours.

The First Anderson Family Turkey Trot was more of a fun run than anything. My Mom played race officiator as my dad, two brothers, sister, Scooby, Maddie, Oliver and I make the 3.1 mile loop around the park.

A beautiful day for a run. :)

It was great having the time to chat with my family and all the pups made sure we were keeping good pace. We were able to all stick together until mile 1.5 when my Dad and Scooby decided half a 5k was about all they could handle. ;)

IMG_8160.jpg

Maddie and Oliver were still able to hold their own and at 3.1 we were crossing the ‘finish line’ of our family Turkey Trot.

Maddie won by a nose. ;)

IMG_8167.jpg

Official Finish time: 31:11 – Not a bad time with dogs. :)

Next up: A post-race celebration with our First Annual Anderson Family Thanksgiving Day Breakfast Picnic.

Thanksgiving Day is all about family and this morning I was thankful to spend just a couple hours with my immediate family. No aunts, no uncles, no significant others – just the original 6 coming together for a Thanksgiving Breakfast picnic. It’s rare that it’s just us 6, so when those moments come along I seize it and treasure it.

Our Thanksgiving Picnic took a little preparation and was worth every extra bit of effort.

Kelly and I prepped the Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls yesterday afternoon. We made the dough, rolled the rolls, and let them rise until they took up the entire pan. Then this morning I woke up extra early and popped them into the oven. They were a warm, beautiful cinnamon rolls ready to be dug into.

My special Frittata Muffins were an easy early morning preparation.

Ingredients:

• 10 Eggs
  • 1/2 bunch Fresh Sage
  • 1/2 bunch Fresh Parsley
  • 3/4 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
  • Salt and Pepper

Whisk all ingredients in a medium bowl and fill a greased mini muffin pan with the egg mix. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Serve hot.

The sage was seriously the best part of the frittata. It gave the muffins a rich sausage flavor that reminded me of Thanksgiving stuffing. :)

To round the picnic out I heated fresh slices pears in a small pot with cinnamon this morning.

And paired the pears with vanilla yogurt.

All part of a complete breakfast .

Now, time to dig in!

I filled my plate with a little of everything. It was all delicious. :)

Especially the cinnamon rolls.

IMG_8280.jpg

It was a Thanksgiving breakfast I’m sure we will be remembering for years to come.

Now, that’s the way to start a Thanksgiving off right! ;)

A Big Thanks to Foodbuzz for making my family Turkey Trot dreams come true! :)

1 Mara @ What's For Dinner? November 25, 2010 at 6:52 pm

What fun!!! Happy Thanksgiving!

2 Hope November 25, 2010 at 7:42 pm

That looks like so much fun! What a lovely family you have!

3 amanda November 25, 2010 at 7:47 pm

happy thanksgiving, girl!

i am very impressed you got your whole family up to runnnn at 7am! i’m sure the pumpkin cinna rolls were very enticing! but stilll. that would never happen in my house. looks like great fun!

4 Amanda (Eating Up) November 25, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Those pears sound incredible! This was such a fun idea!

5 Krystina November 25, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Happy Thanksgiving. :)

6 Lauren November 25, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Meghann this is awesome! I think I tell you this all the time, but I just adore your family. How cool that you guess started this little tradition and what a fantastic idea for a breakfast picnic to follow. I ran a Turkey Trot today but looking at your glorious warm pictures of you galloping around in shorts and a tank makes me a bit envious of Florida in November. We had freezing rain, sleet and snow while I ran it, ugh definitely not smiling as much as you in my pictures but it was still fun and a great tradition.

7 Liz November 25, 2010 at 7:53 pm

What a fun idea! I may need to prep something like this with my fam for Christmas!

8 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life November 25, 2010 at 7:57 pm

What an awesome way to start off Thanksgiving!

9 Lisa (bakebikeblog) November 25, 2010 at 7:59 pm

What a perfect way to start the day!!

10 Caitlin November 25, 2010 at 8:02 pm

This was super cute.

11 Laura (Starloz) November 25, 2010 at 8:31 pm

i love this, it’s simplistic & PERFECT!

12 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun November 25, 2010 at 9:00 pm

What a cool tradition! I love that you guys made your own annual run. :)

13 Lauren November 25, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Fun! My mom & I wanted to do a 5K turkey trot, so we organized our own race 8 years ago and have done it every year since. We raise money for our church’s youth group and collect cans for the foodbank. We had 90 runners/walkers this morning in the cold!

14 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday November 25, 2010 at 9:09 pm

That looks soooo much fun!
I was actually thinking of putting together a family 1/2 marathon at Easter here. Haha. Glad it was a success for you.

15 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. November 25, 2010 at 9:24 pm

What a great day! Happy Thanksgiving Meghann!

16 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat November 25, 2010 at 9:29 pm

That sounds like such a fun morning! I would love to do something like that with my family–except usually it is freezing here on Thanksgiving morning (today the high was 13 degrees!).

17 Clare @ Fitting It All In November 25, 2010 at 9:40 pm

How fantastic!! I so wish I could get my family into a tradition like that, but I ran my turkey trot alone while my brothers were in an alcohol induced coma and my parents were still in bed :(

One day!!
Hope you had a wonderful day!

18 Erica November 25, 2010 at 10:30 pm

What a great tradition! Hope you guys had a fabulous Thanksgiving. The weather was just AMAZING, wasn’t it?

19 Laura November 25, 2010 at 11:09 pm

Love that you have such a big, close family! :) Thanksgiving means nothing to me as a New Zealander, but it always seems to mark the beginning of the holiday season, which is always fun.

Um, did Foodbuzz somehow sponsor your morning?

20 Ashley November 25, 2010 at 11:10 pm

That’s a great idea. Those cinnamon rolls look delicious. Happy Thanksgiving Meghann!

21 Sana November 25, 2010 at 11:46 pm

What a cute idea for your family! Your mom took some awesome pics :)

22 Liz November 26, 2010 at 12:59 am

Love that your family is active! And the picnic looks fun. What a great tradition to start!

23 Kate November 26, 2010 at 1:12 am

That is such a cute idea! I did my first Turkey Trot this morning but I couldn’t get any of my family to do it with me. Your picnic looks fun- and delicious!

24 movesnmunchies November 26, 2010 at 2:26 am

oh my gosh how nice!! that looks like a perfect day! i love the homemade turkey trot and picnik!

25 Cate November 26, 2010 at 8:34 am

That sounds like such a wonderful day! It was just my immediate family for a turkey trot & dinner too & having all of us together was so nice. Enjoy the rest of the time with your family! :)

26 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans November 26, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I love that you got your family together and went for a run. That’s a great tradition that I would love to start with my family and/or friends. Looks like a great day was had by all!!

27 Rachel November 26, 2010 at 2:33 pm

What a great idea for Thanksgiving morning! It makes me wonder which family members of mine would be up for a 5k…not many.
I love the breakfast picnic idea too. A run and healthy breakfast are a perfect way to start the day!

28 Samantha November 26, 2010 at 11:00 pm

That is so cute! It seems like I great way to spend Thanksgiving morning with your family!

I just wanted to say that I had wanted to start running more and then I found your blog and it gave me the motivation and belief in myself that I could do it! I ran my first 5k on Thanksgiving and I think I large part of the motivation to actually sign up and just go for it came from reading your blog!

29 Samantha November 26, 2010 at 11:03 pm

That looks like a perfect way to spend Thanksgiving morning with family!

I also wanted to say that I ran my first 5k on Thanksgiving! I had tried to start running more and then I found your blog and I think it was a large part of what gave me the motivation to just sign up for the 5k and do it!

30 January November 27, 2010 at 8:44 pm

i also joined foodbuzz 24×24 this month and i’m so happy to be part of the roster among you guys who did such amazing meals! your thanksgiving idea is so cute, i really really love it! :)

31 Chrissy (The New Me) November 29, 2010 at 12:27 pm

I LOVE that you hosted your own Turkey Trot and a Thanksgiving breakfast! I love traditions, but it’s hard to maintain them when you live far from your families (like I do). I wish my family was as active as yours. At least we’ve got the dog thing covered!

32 torviewtoronto November 29, 2010 at 10:08 pm

healthy and fun idea
lovely pictures

33 Courtney November 30, 2010 at 12:52 pm

What a wonderful tradition to start! I think it’s awesome that the dogs joined in, too. I’m glad to know I wasn’t the only one with pictures of my animals in my 24×24 post. ;) Everything looks delicious, especially the pumpkin cinnamon rolls!

34 claudia lamascolo aka pegasuslegend November 30, 2010 at 7:04 pm

this looks like such fun…. a great post! congrats!

35 Joan Nova November 30, 2010 at 8:33 pm

What a great tradition to start with the family, the healthy sprint and a fun picnic. I hope you can continue this for many years to come.

36 Kare November 30, 2010 at 11:23 pm

What a great idea – bring the family together for a healthy start to the day! The weather looked so perfect, and the picnic divine – what a great memory. And I love that the dogs were included – a girl after my own heart!

37 Sabrina Modelle-- The Tomato Tart December 1, 2010 at 1:15 am

What a lovely way to spend the holiday albeit completely different than ours spent literally pigging out with our entire roast pork leg ;)
I loved your post especially your adorable pooch. Happy Holidays.
Sabrina

38 Stella December 2, 2010 at 9:51 am

Pumpkin cinnamon rolls? I’d trot a 5k for some! :) I really admire your holiday athleticism, totally counter to the lay around and feel fat ethic that prevails around here! Congrats!