Let the Tapering Begin

by Meghann on November 23, 2010

I’ve built up my endurance. I’ve run an awesome 20 miler. And now the time has come to let it all sink in until marathon day.

It’s taper time!

Tapering is the time where mileage is slashed in half and your body is given a chance to rest before the big day. Runners tend to go a little crazy during taper time due to the built up of anticipation and no way to release (i.e. running). I’m hoping to keep my crankiness to a minimum. Luckily I have the holiday weekend to distract me. 😉

Because of the shorter training plan I will only be tapering two weeks instead of three.

Here’s a taste of week 1:

taper1

Monday: Yoga

Tuesday: Fartleks!

I can tell I’m nearing the end of training because I’m soooo over Fartleks! I did 8 sets at 8.5. and was done with it. 🙂

IMG_7764

Overnight Oats in a Jar for breakfast!

IMG_7769

In the mix:

• 1/2 cup Rolled Oats
  • Pumpkin
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Milk
  • Chia Seeds
  • Raisins
  • The last of the honey peanut butter
  • Apple (topping)

IMG_7777

IMG_7779

I didn’t do a very good job of mixing the PB in the jar and ended up with some big chunks of PB at the end. ‘Twas delicious.

I’ve got a TON of work to do today. It feels good to have the time to do it. I <3 empty offices!

1 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 23, 2010 at 9:37 am

Congrats on the 20 miles!! Sounds like you’re more than ready for your race. 😀
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Lately…

2 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun November 23, 2010 at 9:37 am

I bet reaching taper feels wonderful! Although odd at the same time. I remember the week before my fitness comp wondering what to do with myself because workouts were cut back so much. Good thing you have stuff to keep you busy! Hope you have a productive day. 🙂
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..back to life with good surprises

3 Sarah @ Going on Goals November 23, 2010 at 9:47 am

I <3 empty offices too! I feel like I have to cram my 5 day week into 2 days for the Holiday. At least 5 o'clock is right around the corner!

Have a great holiday!
Sarah @ Going on Goals recently posted..Pineapple Chicken Teriyaki Stir Fry

4 grocery goddess jen November 23, 2010 at 9:54 am

I’m sure you’ll get done what you need to!
grocery goddess jen recently posted..Yup

5 Kelly November 23, 2010 at 9:54 am

Good luck not going crazy during your taper!
Kelly recently posted..My First Half Marathon

6 Erin November 23, 2010 at 9:55 am

ok..I am confused about overnight oats..I want to try it but what do I do..add all those ingredients and then let it sit overnight???
Erin recently posted..MIA

7 Meghann November 23, 2010 at 10:02 am

Yes. Just mix everything together and let it sit in the fridge overnight. 🙂

8 Erin November 23, 2010 at 10:18 am

thanks!
Erin recently posted..MIA

9 rebecca lustig November 23, 2010 at 10:04 am

sometimes empty offices are just what we need to get ANYTHING done. good luck 🙂

10 Alicia November 23, 2010 at 10:17 am

good luck with your taper!! happy holidays!!
Alicia recently posted..Tell me- would you like to try my balls

11 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) November 23, 2010 at 10:43 am

Enjoy the taper!

I want to try fartleks out. I’m training for the San Diego R N R half-marathon. I just reread your fartlek post and it finally makes sense to me. I was confused on exactly what it was before.
Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) recently posted..Happy Birthday to Andy!

12 kristy @ kristyruns.com November 23, 2010 at 10:51 am

Empty offices are awesome… except when you’re the only one to answer phones… 😉
kristy @ kristyruns.com recently posted..In Between Seasons

13 skinnyrunner November 23, 2010 at 11:15 am

yeah for fartleks being over! ive never done one and going to try to keep it that way, they dont sound fun.
skinnyrunner recently posted..Running Tuesday!

14 movesnmunchies November 23, 2010 at 11:26 am

i love leaving my pb for the end.. i keep it in a huge glob..its the best part to look forward to!
movesnmunchies recently posted..The MnM Platter

15 Lew (ashandlewplus2.com) November 23, 2010 at 11:46 am

How many jars of peanut butter do you eat a week? It seems like you like Peanut butter as much as Ashlee. Congrats on the great run.
Lew
Lew (ashandlewplus2.com) recently posted..Butternut Squash and Apple Soup

16 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather November 23, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Good luck tapering! I’m sure the busy holiday weekend will keep you busy and distracted.

17 Christine November 23, 2010 at 12:26 pm

I’ve been running for about a year and have done 2 1/2s, but have never taken the time to figure out what a fartlek is! Thanks for the link you put in this post! Your waaaaaaay faster than I am, but it’s really motivating reading your posts.

18 Ali November 23, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Tapering is awesome and awful at the same time. I love taking a break mentally but it was so hard to reduce the mileage by so much. Enjoy the taper time 🙂
Ali recently posted..Treadmill 5k

19 Balanced Healthy Life November 23, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Nice job on the 20 miler! That doesn’t sound easy at all!

20 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine November 23, 2010 at 1:35 pm

I never mix OIAJ up well. It’s so much better to just eat all the PB at the end 🙂 Hope you have a great day!!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..HP7

21 Kiran November 23, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Eating just the PB at the end makes a perfect ending to a delicious OIAJ!
Kiran recently posted..Dining @ Hyatt Miami

22 Amy November 23, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Was just wondering if you have ever had problems with shin splints and how you managed to get through them? I have recently developed shin splint in just my left leg and having to take a 2-3 week break, which completely messes up my race/training schedule. Any advice or helpful info??

23 Honey B. Nutrition November 23, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Enjoy the quiet productive day! Relax, get in some good, pleasurable workouts that are NOT super long runs. No pressure because you know you are so well prepared… all sounds good to me!
Honey B. Nutrition recently posted..I May NEVER Fall Asleep Tonight or Tomorrow!

24 Jessica@tastyandtrim November 23, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Congrats on the 20-mile run! Good luck with all of your work – I’m sure you will get it all done 🙂
Jessica@tastyandtrim recently posted..I Am Thankful For…

25 RunningOnCoffee November 23, 2010 at 10:39 pm

What program do you use for your training plan??
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Try On Report- Lululemon Run- Alpine Pullover

26 Meghann November 24, 2010 at 8:54 am

The plan was made up via PowerPoint. And the actual explanation on the training plan can be found on this post http://mealsandmiles.com/2010/10/19/my-palm-beach-training-plan/