Aron’s First Marathon

by Meghann on November 23, 2010

I thought I was being sly by beating the holiday shopping crowd and taking an early lunch break to hit up Whole Foods and Publix for the necessities. Everything was going smoothly too. That is until I got to destination #2 and realized I had left my purse at destination #1 15 minutes away. Doh!

How – you may ask – did I leave my purse in a shopping cart in the middle of a busy parking lot? I have no clue! Luckily the Whole Food is in a nicer area of town and as soon as I called they confirmed it was at the front of the store waiting to be picked up.

The guy was pretty funny. He said he was just about to Facebook message me to let me know he had my purse in his possession. Isn’t technology grand?

It should also be said that I had no purse, wallet, or camera, but I did manage to keep my phone on me. That thing really is attached to my hip.

With the extra trip to Whole Foods now in the equation I didn’t have time for Publix (should be hitting there after work), but I still had time for a quick lunch before heading back to work.

IMG_7781

Lots of left over Nut Crusted Parsnip Fries from last night’s dinner.

IMG_7793

(I made a used a whole bag of parsnips for the fries and had half last night and half for lunch)

Left over Butternut Squash Quiona Salad. < – its been in the fridge well over a week now, but the flavor is still good. 😉

IMG_7791

Left over cornbread.

IMG_7788

I see a ‘left over’ theme in today’s lunch. 😉

After lunch chocolate. 😉

IMG_7797

I went straight to a meeting once I got back in the office and dove into this pack of crackers  when it got out.

IMG_7798

I have to get back to work now, but I have another first marathon story to share with you while I’m gone. 😉

Aron’s First Marathon

I had the pleasure of meeting Meghann for the first time the weekend of her first marathon!  I love love love when people are going to run their first marathons… all the anticipation, the nerves, the unknown… it’s always so exciting.

dscn1133

I did things kind of backwards.  I had never ran a race, had never run more than 3 miles at one time, and actually hated running, but for some reason decided to sign up for a marathon… and not just any marathon, the San Francisco Marathon.

I went through a fundraising group where I met some amazing girls, who I still run with all the time, and it really changed my life.  I originally thought a half marathon sounded good, but somehow got talked into the full, and was so glad I did.

During training, I definitely fell in love with running.  I loved feeling like an athlete again after playing basketball for many years growing up.  I loved being on a training schedule, I loved being outside.  Every time the distance got longer, I loved it even more.

The months flew by and eventually race day was here!  After months of training, many pairs of shoes, tons of blisters, aches, pains and triumphs, I was at the start line of my first marathon.

I still vividly remember crossing that starting mat and being in those first couple miles, thinking about how far I was actually going to be running that day and wondering how it was all going to turn out.  I made sure to pace myself, I knew what was going to be coming (hills!!!) but I also knew I was trained for it.  I had an amazing support group out on the course, including my husband, my mom and lots of my friends, it was a such great day and I felt really special.

I remember getting to mile 21 and thinking that I had never run that far before.  I was still feeling good, although I was definitely tired from all those hills, but I wondered what was going to happen over the next 5+ miles as I ventured into unchartered territory.  I kept running, I was watching people fall apart left and right, but I just kept focusing on one mile at a time and putting one foot in front of the other.  I could see AT&T park in the distance.  I reached it and passed it, and just kept running.  Pretty soon the finish line was in sight and just like that, four hours and four minutes later, I was crossing it.

I was a marathoner.

aron

I ran every single step of my first marathon, and it was hard, really hard.  I found my family and cried, I couldn’t believe I had done it and on such a hard course.

I had always heard that the first marathon will change you, and I think they all do in a sense, but that first marathon really showed me what I was made of.  I was stronger than I thought I was and also crazier than I thought.  I registered for my 2nd marathon the next day.

Since then I have taken 25 minutes off my marathon time, qualified for Boston, crossed the finish line of 6 other marathons, and am currently tapering for #8.  Running has brought me so much more than just exercise and marathon medals, it has given me a sense of self fulfillment, taught me how strong I am, and given me an outlet.  I can’t imagine my life without it.

1 Kiran November 23, 2010 at 3:44 pm

I love marathon stories. So inspiring!

And left-overs rule!!! Somehow it tastes better 🙂
Kiran recently posted..Dining @ Hyatt Miami

2 kristy @ kristyruns.com November 23, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Awesome! Thanks for sharing! I can really identify with Aron. 8 marathons later and I’m still craving the challenge of more. 🙂
kristy @ kristyruns.com recently posted..In Between Seasons

3 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 23, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Awesome story Aron!

Meghann – I once got all the way to the grocery store, only to realize my wallet was not in my purse. I had left it at home, and thank goodness I hadn’t already piled my cart with groceries because I would have felt like such a tool explaining to the staff that I wasn’t abandoning the entire cart! 🙂
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Lately…

4 Rachel November 23, 2010 at 4:38 pm

HA! That totally happened to me except I was in the check out line attempting to pay when I realized I had no wallet. They bagged my order and put the whole cart in the walk-in freezer to wait for me to come back and pay. I felt more than just a little silly!

5 Lizzy November 23, 2010 at 4:06 pm

So inspiring Aron!!! I love hearing your story and I love your blog. Can’t wait to see how well you do in Boston! And hopefully we can meet. Good luck in marathon #8
Lizzy recently posted..Restaurant Review- Amrheins

6 Lisa (bakebikeblog) November 23, 2010 at 4:30 pm

oh I need to make parnsip fries….stat!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..A winning way to use homemade apple butter

7 Jen November 23, 2010 at 4:41 pm

I love Aron’s story. How amazing to run every step of your first marathon. So inspiring 🙂
Jen recently posted..Relatively speaking- How to deal with annoying family questions this holiday season

8 Angela (the diet book junkie) November 23, 2010 at 5:09 pm

wow, what an inspirational story! thanks for sharing, Aron! good luck in marathon #8!!
Angela (the diet book junkie) recently posted..interval training- all that and a bag of chips

9 Matt November 23, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Aren’t leftover something to be treasured? They have saved me quite a few times!
Matt recently posted..Running In Vibrams- Week 3 Recap

10 Lauren November 23, 2010 at 5:32 pm

So inspiring! I’ve been running for 8 years now and haven’t done a marathon yet…soon though.
Lauren recently posted..Success

11 Evan Thomas November 23, 2010 at 5:43 pm

If I lost my purse(or, you know, man-equivalent), I would have been beside myself. So glad you got it back!

12 aron November 23, 2010 at 6:38 pm

yay thanks for letting me write about my first marathon!! so excited our next ones are on the same day 🙂
aron recently posted..product review- arctic ease wrap

13 Lauren November 23, 2010 at 7:21 pm

That is the worst feeling!!! I’ve left my cell phone and camera behind but not yet my purse. That must have been a scary moment.

You are the queen of leftovers!! 🙂
Lauren recently posted..Whats Been Going On

14 Cate November 23, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Great post! I love Aron’s story!
Cate recently posted..Roasted Vegetable Galette with Kalamata Crust

15 Kerry November 23, 2010 at 8:34 pm

yay aron! see you at CIM 🙂

16 Jaclyn November 23, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Ah I have definitely done that before – but with my phone, at Trader Joes!! I was SO happy they had it behind the desk, too! Yay for honest, good people that will get it back to you, glad it was safe and sound lol! 😀
Jaclyn recently posted..Sushi- Scones &amp Snow!

17 rebecca lustig November 23, 2010 at 10:47 pm

ive left my phone and keys in so many public bathrooms, its not even funny! (haha)

have a happy thanksgiving– you deserve it

18 Trish November 24, 2010 at 12:55 pm

I am so glad you got your bag back. I left mine in a dressing room at the Gap once. Luckily, I went back to try on more stuff – and that’s when I saw my bag still sitting there. Oops! I hadn’t even realized I left it behind.

19 Ali November 24, 2010 at 6:21 pm

I loved reading about Aron’s first marathon! It is so inspiring to hear about others experiences and the journey running has taken them on.