Three Day Work Week

by Meghann on November 22, 2010

Top 3 reason why I love Thanksgiving:

1. Spending time with friends and family
  2. Eating pumpkin pie, stuffing, ham, turkey, congo bars, peanut butter balls, etc…
  3. THREE DAY WORK WEEK!!!!!!!!

Most of my co-workers made it a ZERO day work week (you could hear a pin drop around my desk at the moment), but I wasn’t quite as lucky. Still, it will be nice to have some peace and quiet to get a lot of much needed work done. AND three days is better than 5 days any day of the week. Especially when there’s a promise of turkey and shopping at the end of it. 😉

My Monday started off slowly with a 20 minute random workout video on ExerciseTV on Demand followed by a quick shower, some laundry, and breakfast.

IMG_7703

• Raisins

IMG_7701

Here’s what I signed up to bring to Thanksgiving Dinner:

• Vegetarian Cornbread Stuffing
  • Pecan Pie
  • Salad

I wanted to make a couple of things I have never made before, so I was really excited to sign up for the stuffing and pecan pie. My goal is to make each thing completely from scratch. Problem is, I’m not sure where to begin!

Anyone have any good recipe suggestions for cornbread stuffing or pecan pie?!?!

1 kristinp November 22, 2010 at 8:57 am

Just heard from Beek Eats that there’s a great vegetarian cornbread stuffing recipe posted at NYT.com on their Thanksgiving site (they’re highlighting vegetarian and vegan dishes this year)

Good Luck!
Kristin
kristinp recently posted..Planes Trains and Automobiles

2 Mimi November 22, 2010 at 9:03 am

Any clues as to what “Congo bars” are?
Mimi recently posted..Aforementioned pizza

3 Andrea November 22, 2010 at 9:07 am

Make sure you create a post that shows us all of your Thanksgiving shopping purchases! 🙂

4 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 22, 2010 at 9:09 am

Ughh girl you definitely get the better deal for Thanksgiving work-wise in the US! Turkey AND shopping? Those are 2 of my favourite things!! 😀
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Lately…

5 Lacey @ Lake Life November 22, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Having the Friday after Thanksgiving off is not the norm for most people in the US. At my office it’s business as usual.
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..Hyperbole And a Half pt 1

6 Lew November 22, 2010 at 9:10 am

This is a great turkey and dressing recipe http://ashandlewplus2.com/2010/11/16/tradition-with-a-twist/ it is my families. I love it. Have a great day. What is a Congo bar
Lew recently posted..Goodnight –

7 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday November 22, 2010 at 9:14 am

Do you get Friday off, or do you have to take a vacation day?

When I worked in the US the Friday after Thanksgiving was not a holiday. That, to me, is more annoying than having Thanksgiving on a Monday and getting a 3 day weekend (like we do here)
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..Breakfast in Bed

8 Meghann November 22, 2010 at 9:20 am

My company sees the Friday after Thanksgiving as a holiday, however my old job didn’t. It varies by company and I’m just lucky to work for one that honors it.

9 kristy @ kristyruns.com November 22, 2010 at 9:16 am

Yayyyyy! Knowing there are only 3 days of work this week definitely helped me leap out of bed this morning. 🙂
kristy @ kristyruns.com recently posted..In Between Seasons

10 grocery goddess jen November 22, 2010 at 9:21 am

I’m making cornbread dressing, too, and just using a recipe from this giant vegetarian cookbook I own written by Deborah Madison. I’ve made the cornbread, but not the stuffing yet. I think it’s just onions and garlic and butter and crumbled cornbread and one onion and some spices…but of course I can’t remember off the top of my head!
grocery goddess jen recently posted..Two Fabulous Whole Foods Desserts

11 Colleen November 22, 2010 at 9:23 am

The Pioneer Woman has a great pecan pie I am going to try. It looks and sounds amazing. It is under her ‘cooking’ tab.

12 Amanda (Eating Up) November 22, 2010 at 9:29 am

Yay! Two-day class week for me! 🙂
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..Still Tasty or Gone Nasty

13 Ashley November 22, 2010 at 9:34 am

Pecan pie is super easy! My mom and I have making the Karo Syrup recipe for years! 🙂

14 Smash @ Appreciate The Now November 22, 2010 at 9:38 am

Would love for you to post your favorite Exercise TV On Demand videos sometime. Happy short week!
Smash @ Appreciate The Now recently posted..The One With The List Or Lack Thereof

15 Michele @ Healthy Cultivations November 22, 2010 at 9:45 am

I’m celebrating the three day work week too. I’m so excited that I think I might get as much done as in a normal week.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

16 RunningOnCoffee November 22, 2010 at 9:47 am

We make peanut butter balls for Christmas (along w/other Christmas cookies).
What are Congo bars??

I’ve just got to get through Monday and Tuesday; Wednesday is a half day of work for me. Then a 4 day weekend, woo hoo! Hubby and I just saw both of our parents in October; we’re seeing both for Christmas, so it’s just the two of us for Thanksgiving. Think we might go away for 2 nights to a cutesy little hotel/inn a couple hours away.
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Try On Report- Lululemon Run- Dash Pullover

17 Brenna November 22, 2010 at 10:22 am

Yum!! I can’t wait for Thanksgiving either 🙂 Have a great week!
Brenna recently posted..new site!

18 Kelly November 22, 2010 at 10:23 am

My family says I make the BEST pecan pie. I will email you the recipe. I’ll also be posting it on Wednesday when I am in pie-baking mode. 🙂

19 Sarah @ Going on Goals November 22, 2010 at 10:24 am

Two day week for me!!! Got to love using that floating holiday!

I love pecan pie! I can’t find my mom’s recipe, but if I do I will e-mail it to you. Add some chocolate chips for some extra pizzaz!
Sarah @ Going on Goals recently posted..Pineapple Chicken Teriyaki Stir Fry

20 Kiran November 22, 2010 at 11:00 am

You can look for good recipes at Pioneer Woman. She recently had a throwdown with Bobby Flay and made one of her famous pies: Pecan 🙂

I just had my 1st ever taste of Thanksgiving lunch with our neighbors yesterday and boy, I am still full 🙂
Kiran recently posted..Dining @ Hyatt Miami

21 sarahMTSBB November 22, 2010 at 11:04 am

My dad makes Jeff Smith’s (from The Frugal Gourmet) pecan pie every year. It is the BEST (this is coming from a girl who thinks every other pecan pie is yucky!). I think it is from the American Ancestor’s book, but I am not sure.

This is the recipe I found on google… but I can’t promise that it’s accurate!

1.5 c pecans -toasted and chopped
4 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup water
1 lb. dark brown sugar -Use real cane sugar and weigh it. Not all sugar is created equal.
1/4 cup butter
pinch of salt
pastry for 1 bottom pie crust

Prick the bottom of your pie crust with a fork all over and bake for about 10 minutes, or until lightly golden in a 400* oven. Remove pie crust, and lower the oven to 275*.
Combine the sugar and the water and stir until sugar dissolves over low medium heat. Bring to a full boil for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat source and let it cool off a bit while you proceed. Add the butter to the sugar and let it melt in and continue to cool. Toast pecans in a dry skillet on medium heat, stirring fairly often to prevent burning. Alternately, you can toast them in the oven. Let the nuts cool and chop up. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs until frothy and slowly whisk the hot butter syrup into the beaten eggs. Add vanilla extract, salt, and chopped pecans into the mixture. Pour into your previously made golden pie crust and let bake for 1 hour.

**Note, if you can only find light brown sugar, which I know happens to the best of us, add 1 T. of molasses or even Grade B maple syrup and that will give it a bit more flavor.

22 Marina November 22, 2010 at 11:22 am

I always envy you americans when it’s time for thanksgiving feast 😀 I wish i could try all of those yummy meals!

23 Britt @ Runnerbelle November 22, 2010 at 11:34 am

Just got a Self.com email with some recipes and this corn bread stuffing sounds so good!

Britt @ Runnerbelle recently posted..Busy but runless weekend…

24 Biz November 22, 2010 at 11:35 am

You have to make Pioneer Woman’s pecan pie – it is hands down the best pecan pie I’ve ever made, and my husband goes crazy over it!

Biz recently posted..Blogger Lunch!

25 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine November 22, 2010 at 11:37 am

This pie is AMAZING. Do it: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/chocolate-bourbon-pecan-pie/Detail.aspx
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..HP7

26 Alina @ Duty Free Foodie November 22, 2010 at 11:38 am

I love pecan pie!

The Canadian Thanksgiving was in October, but I am excited to once again celebrate American Thanksgiving by going shopping State-side this weekend.
Alina @ Duty Free Foodie recently posted..The Incident of the Illicit Cake

27 Blair November 22, 2010 at 11:45 am

I just made my first pecan pie over the weekend for a pre-thanksgiving dinner party (go figure) and everyone raved about it. I figured, if I had to serve a recipe to other people that I had never tried before, there was only one place to go … Martha of course. And she did not fail me! (It’s not the slightest bit healthy, but I think pecan pie is an indulgence by definition)

28 Halley (Blunder Construction) November 22, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Yay, three day work week! I’m enjoying the same over here, that makes today a Wednesday. Happy Hump Day 🙂
Halley (Blunder Construction) recently posted..Punctuated Packing

29 erin fugal November 22, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Alton Brown for pie crust

30 Sana November 22, 2010 at 12:29 pm

I am making apple pie for a low income family but I am using crust from a box and fresh apples!
Sana recently posted..UMBCEats meets Six Mile

31 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life November 22, 2010 at 1:02 pm

I don’t have to cook anything for thanksgiving (everything was accounted for) and I’m actually a little sad about it. I might have to just make my own thanksgiving for the week after just for fun!
Jillian @ Reshape Your Life recently posted..Hormones

32 Maria @ runningcupcake November 22, 2010 at 1:03 pm

I saw a vegan (I think) pecan pie on Happy Herbivore. I made mine using Hummingbird bakery recipe and it was amazing 🙂
Maria @ runningcupcake recently posted..Beginning the seasonal baking

33 Matt November 22, 2010 at 1:14 pm

This stuffing is awesome!

Have a great Thanksgiving Meghann!
Matt recently posted..My Favorite Fall Recipes

34 Stephanie November 22, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Roasted Acorn Squash & Cornbread Stuffing – http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000000522236

I’ll warn you, they had a video of this, and I nearly tried to eat my computer screen. =)

35 Sara November 22, 2010 at 2:10 pm

I made Pioneer Woman’s pecan pie last night, and it was so so so good! I had to refrain myself from eating a slice for breakfast today. I recommend her recipe for sure.

36 Liz November 22, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Another suggestion for the Pioneer Woman’s pecan pie!

37 katiek November 22, 2010 at 2:15 pm

not sure if anyone else listed this one, but it is from the Pioneer Woman’s throwdown v. Bobby Flay:

38 Shanna, like Banana November 22, 2010 at 3:05 pm

I just made a pecan spice cake with maple frosting (thanks to Cooking Light) and I think it’s better than pumpkin pie!

Or I also just made pumpkin pie cookies which were also awesome!
Shanna, like Banana recently posted..Make this for T-day dessert- Pecan Spice Cake with Maple Frosting

39 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather November 22, 2010 at 3:10 pm

I’ve never made either of those! I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

40 Chelsey (Cookteen) November 22, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Check out Pioneer Woman for the stuffing but if you like butternut squash you MUST try this recipe for butternut squash souffle: http://www.cookteen.com/countdown-to-thanksgiving-day-1/

everyone ALWAYS goes crazy for it–its sweet and warm and crunchy and smooth all at the same time!
Chelsey (Cookteen) recently posted..Brown Butter Blondies

41 Marcy November 23, 2010 at 10:12 am

Bakerella posted a pecan pie recipe this week that has a fudgy brownie middle. Ree Drummond’s is also fabulous…..how to choose?

42 jessica November 24, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Yeah for a short work week! It isn’t pie but you should check out Smitten Kitchen’s Pecan Squares- they look delish and would be easy to cut up and send home with others (if there’s any left 🙂
jessica recently posted..Brrrr!