Celebrating Ben’s 21st Year

by Meghann on November 21, 2010

And this my friends is how you celebrate a 21st birthday.

• Obnoxiously large alcoholic drink? Check!
  • A gathering of 18 of your closest family and friends? Check!
  • Generous rounds of shots all night? Check!
  • A dueling piano / karaokee bar? Check!
  • A hotel room you can safely stumble to at the end of the night? Check!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEN!!!!

IMG_7522.jpg

Ben’s birthday had been a year in the making. When the youngest of four siblings turns 21 you have to do it right, right? Not only did we have the 6 members of our core family in town (a rarity that only happens on special occasions), we had aunts, uncles, cousins, significant others, etc. Heck, even Grandma made a special appearance (and she closed the bar down with us)!

We all started with a large dinner at Bubba Gumps at Universal’s CityWalk.

We had to make an early reservation so they could sit our large party, but thankfully we were seated right away without any problems.

I ordered a ShockTop to sip on during dinner.

I wanted a big pot of seafood for my meal, so I ordered the Steam Shellfish which came with clams, mussels, crab, and shrimp.

With fries instead of rice (as much as I try I just can’t seem to wrap my head around the idea of enjoying rice, it is quite honestly my least favorite side dish of all time)

There was the obligatory embarrassing restaurant birthday sing along.

IMG_7506.jpg IMG_7507.jpg IMG_7508.jpg

And the obligatory post- 20 mile run chocolate chip cookie Sunday – O M G. ;)

From there the night got a little crazy….

Let’s just say it’s called the ‘Magnum,’ you need at least 7 people to order it, and there’s rumors it has an entire bottle of Bacardi 151 inside. ;)

IMG_7554.jpg

Oh, and it’s Grandma approved. ;)

Like I said, if you’re going to celebrate a 21st – Go Big or Go Home.

IMG_7534.jpg IMG_7543.JPG

Plus, it helps when you make it a family affair.

The birthday boy had to call it an early night, but the rest of us kept the party going. It was nice having the hotel room to go back to afterwards and I’ll probably have ‘Sweet Caroline’ stuck in my head for weeks to come.

“Sweeetttt Caroline Bump Bum Bummmm Good times never seemed so good So Good So Good..”

IMG_7572.jpg

Magically we were all up before 8:00 this morning (I blame my parents and their uncanny ability to wake naturally before the sun rises). With grumbly bellies we packed up the room and headed to a breakfast place nearby.

This caught my attention.

Quite possible the best Pumpkin Pancakes I’ve ever tasted.

With fruit.

I need a nap…. and maybe some advil…

1 Kristy @ KristyRuns November 21, 2010 at 12:29 pm

OMG! That HUGE drink is hilarious! Especially with your grandma taking a few sips! :) Love it! Glad y’all had fun!
Kristy @ KristyRuns recently posted..In Between Seasons

2 Angela November 21, 2010 at 12:30 pm

The best you’ve tried? Oh man, I need to get my hands on some! Pumpkin pumpkin pumpkin….just can’t get it off my mind!
Angela recently posted..Weekly Spending Recap- 15-11-21-11

3 Dori November 21, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Your grandma is so cute!!! That picture is precious, love it. Sounds like a really great night, I’d love to try that giant drink.
Dori recently posted..Refine Method Interview &amp FREE DSB Reader Class

4 Alyssa A November 21, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Wow, your little bro is a babe… i just turned 21 in October…. does he like blondes? Does he like Washington state and cold weather?……….LOL! ;)

5 laura November 21, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Hahaha I was just going to say the same thing except ask if he liked Rhode Island and East Coast accents!

6 Meghann November 22, 2010 at 9:06 am

Sorry ladies! he’s taken! :)

7 ashleigh November 21, 2010 at 12:45 pm

That looks like such a fun night! Your family is so cute and close! I am jealous you get to spend so much time with them!
ashleigh recently posted..Spinach and PB Cups

8 kelly November 21, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Is that Pat O’Briens?? I went there for a bachelorette party and had the BEST time!!
kelly recently posted..The many faces of Gibson

9 Meghann November 22, 2010 at 9:06 am

Yep, Pat O’Briens at Citywalk!

10 alison November 21, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Wow, you have such a fun family. It’s great that you all got together to help your brother celebrate his 21st birthday. That drink is crazy and I especially enjoyed seeing your grandma get in on the fun.

Sweet Caroline is a great song! My daughter’s name is Caroline; when I was pregnant and couldn’t decide between two names (one of them being Caroline), Sweet Caroline came on the radio and I knew it was meant to be. I went home, saw my husband and said to him “her name will be Caroline.” Thanks be to Neil Diamond!
alison recently posted..Totally Herbacious

11 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine November 21, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Oh my gosh what a fun birthday!! I think EVERYONE’S 21st should include that magnum. Fun fact: when I met my boyfriend he was blacked out due to 151. Clearly he made an awesome impression. True story.

I hate rice too. Unless it’s drenched in sauce, then what’s the point?
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..HP7

12 Lee November 21, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Your grandma is awesome!
Lee recently posted..Cooking Veg

13 Ashley November 21, 2010 at 12:57 pm

That drink is hilarious, and your grandma just makes it 10x better. I <3 pumpkin. Now I want some haha. Have a good day

14 holly @ yepiatethat November 21, 2010 at 1:09 pm

hahaha I love that your grandma celebrated with y’all! How Fun!!
holly @ yepiatethat recently posted..Brrrrrrr

15 Brie @ Brie Fit November 21, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Dude, I want your family to adopt me.
Brie @ Brie Fit recently posted..Boise- Idaho

16 Sana November 21, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Bahahaha! G-ma approved!
Sana recently posted..UMBCEats meets Six Mile

17 Katy (The Singing Runner) November 21, 2010 at 1:37 pm

I still can’t get over the size of that thing! Where on earth did you order it from? I turn 21 in a few months and I was thinking of heading down to Orlando to celebrate, and that looks like the best way to start a party! ;)

Grandma is too cute! :)
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Ice Ice Baby

18 Meghann November 22, 2010 at 9:08 am

It’s from Pat O’Briens! It’s a fun drink for a crowd, but be warned they require you have at least 7 people in your party to order it. :)

19 Jessica @ The Process of Healing November 21, 2010 at 1:38 pm

HOLY crap I’ve never seen a drink that large before! Looks delicious though :) Nights like that are totally worth it ;)
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..A Blur of a Weekend

20 Lee November 21, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Your Rents flew by me in a big a**ed Chevy on 50 on their way back home. I was lolly gaggin but I caught your mom waving to me on the way by. As I ate their dust I was thinking: I know where you been…. I know where you been…..

21 Marina November 21, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Seems like such a great birthday party!
I would love to have that big cocktail for my next birthday, but I’m not sure I would want to share it with others :D

22 laura November 21, 2010 at 1:55 pm

i want to be part of your family so bad! you guys are awesome.

23 Cynthia November 21, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Wow! Your brother will remember his 21st b-day for a long time :)
Cynthia recently posted..Easy Friday and end of Week 2 of my training plan -

24 Matt November 21, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Sounds like a great time!

I seriously hate rice. I prefer potatoes ;)
Matt recently posted..Breakfast Burritos

25 Honey B. Nutrition November 21, 2010 at 3:31 pm

I heard Neil Diamond’s Sweet Caroline last night too! But in karaoke version, so.. consider yourself lucky!! ;-) Wow, think how much more gratifying that cookie was after running 20 miles than it would have been otherwise! Well done!
Honey B. Nutrition recently posted..A Workout and a Dessert to Make Up For it!

26 Jenny November 21, 2010 at 3:47 pm

And I need some of that pumpkin pancake. YUM!
Jenny recently posted..Frugal Friday- Leftover Lovin

27 Lisa (bakebikeblog) November 21, 2010 at 4:00 pm

holy moly – that magnum is outta control!!!! What a fun night!

28 Nicole November 21, 2010 at 4:00 pm

I have never seen a drink like that, crazy! I love your family, it’s great that everyone comes out for such celebrations. And I could never see my grandma trying the drink, she almost dies when I tell her I’m meeting a friend for a drink :)

29 Sarah @ Long Legs Healthy Life November 21, 2010 at 4:19 pm

I’ve never seen a drink that big!! Your grandma seems like a cool lady for partying it up and trying out the drink!
Sarah @ Long Legs Healthy Life recently posted..Decking the Halls

30 rebecca lustig November 21, 2010 at 4:22 pm

i have never seen such a large drink in my entire life!!!

glad you all had fun. and congrats on the run :)

31 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun November 21, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Oh my goodness! That drink is HUGE! I love the shots of grandma taking her turn with it. Sounds like such a fun time. :)
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..back to life with good surprises

32 Halley (Blunder Construction) November 21, 2010 at 6:38 pm

That is an enormously large drink, probably equivalent to 1 can of Four Loko. Such a fun idea for a party though!
Halley (Blunder Construction) recently posted..Punctuated Packing

33 Shannon @ Philadelphia Phitness Pharmacy November 21, 2010 at 7:39 pm

You guys looked like you were having so much fun!!! Also your brother is a cutie ;-) Just sayin! haha aannndd I really would love to grab my spoon and take a bite out of your dessert! It looks so delish! I hope it tasted half as good as it looks.
Shannon @ Philadelphia Phitness Pharmacy recently posted..Chicken Fresco-ishh

34 RunningOnCoffee November 21, 2010 at 8:38 pm

I love that your grandma was involved with that HUGE drink :)
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Try On Report- Lululemon Run- Dash Pullover

35 Anne @thefitbridesmaid November 21, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Grandma, too? That.is.awesome. Sweet Caroline is the ultimate piano bar song. WOO HOO!
Anne @thefitbridesmaid recently posted..Oh Purdue Oh Purdue- You’re My Chosen School

36 Brittney November 22, 2010 at 8:41 am

Haha! That drink it hilarious! Looks like everyone had an awesome time!

37 Jennifer November 22, 2010 at 10:50 am

Sounds like you had a fun night :) I used to go there in college – love that bar! And I’m jealous you got to eat at Kiki’s! My sister took me there a few months ago, and I LOVED it! Such yummy food! :)

38 Lacey @ Lake Life November 22, 2010 at 12:42 pm

1st: How much did that drink cost?!

2nd: Did the birthday boy have to call it an early night because he got sick?

3rd: I share your feeling about rice, unless it’s fried rice :-)
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..Hyperbole And a Half pt 1

39 Katie November 24, 2010 at 6:59 pm

WOW – that drink looks intense! I love that your whole family came out to your brother’s bday celebration! How fun.
Katie recently posted..Shipping up to Boston- Whale Watching

40 Jamie November 17, 2011 at 12:56 pm

This is so funny. I was reading the post from today, (Ben’s Birthday, November 16, 2011) and clicked to check out your post of his 21st. I remember reading this last year! (Hello, from de-lurking)

It does NOT feel like a year has gone by!!! Happy birthday to your brother, Ben!