more ยป" />

03:01:14

by Meghann on November 20, 2010

• 20 Miles: 03::01:14
  • Avg Pace: 09:04 <— same as my 18 miler last week (!!)

Woo Hoo!!!!

What an AWESOME run! Whose ready for that marathon in 2 weeks?!?!? I AM!!

Pre-run Snack: Millet toast with Almond Butter, Peanut Butter, and Chocolate Covered Edamame.

Running fuel:

• 1 pack Honey Stingers taken at mile 10
  • 1 pack of Sports Beans taken at mile 15
  • Mix of Gatorade & Water in my Camelbak

Everything that could have gone right for this run did. Once again there was great weather, my legs felt great, and thankfully the cough that had plagued me this past week was gone. I just zoned into my music and let my legs take me where they wanted to go.

At one point I came across a group of vest runners.

IMAG0333.jpg

Turns out a leg of the Clearwater – Daytona Ragner Relay had a leg that went along my favorite trail.

IMAG0334.jpg

I actually got to run along side one of the relay runners and chatted with him about the race and what he thought. It’s my goal to do a ragner relay style race at least once in my life time, the trouble I have is finding a group of TWELVE people willing to commit to it. One day I’ll find a group to join. ๐Ÿ™‚

The 20 miles literally flew by and before I knew it I was just a mile from my apartment. I gunned it in the end and finished with an 8:25 mile. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hopefully, I’ll be feeling just as great on my marathon in two weeks as I have been for my last two training runs. It’s taper time from here!

Of course I couldn’t escape this run without a few scrapes and bruises.

Chafing sucks. Ouch.

I was craving meat and eggs towards the end of my run. No point in ignoring a runner’s craving. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Derek did an excellent job preparing breakfast while I showered.

He made a delicious omelet with cheese, mushrooms, peppers and onions.

Ham Steak

Toast

\

And 1/2 a apple for something sweet.

Just what this girl was craving. ๐Ÿ™‚

Today is jammed pack with Harry Potter, Universal, and Ben’s birthday celebration (not to mention the 20 miles I just ran!)

Time to jet!

1 Kiran November 20, 2010 at 10:29 am

Wuhuu!! Congrats on your milestone! Awesomeness!
Happy birthday Ben ๐Ÿ™‚
Kiran recently posted..Dining @ Hyatt Miami

2 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life November 20, 2010 at 10:42 am

That time is awesome! You are so going to rock your marathon!

And the dress that you’re wearing in the picture showing your chafing looks really cute! I want to see the front! lol

Sounds like you have an awesome saturday planned! Have a great one!
Jillian @ Reshape Your Life recently posted..Something Different

3 Meghann November 22, 2010 at 8:08 am

It’s an old dress that I’ve had since High School! I couldn’t find a great photo of the front, but you can kind of see it in this one http://mealsandmiles.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/dscn2799.jpg ๐Ÿ™‚

4 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life November 22, 2010 at 8:40 am

That is such a cute dress… I have a secret love affair with sun dresses, I can’t help it.
Jillian @ Reshape Your Life recently posted..A little bit offโ€ฆ

5 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. November 20, 2010 at 10:48 am

Awesome time, Meghann!!
mindy @ just a one girl revolution. recently posted..under my umbrella-ella-ella

6 Kristy @ KristyRuns November 20, 2010 at 10:53 am

Oh snap! Congrats on the FAST run!
Kristy @ KristyRuns recently posted..Official Race Photos

7 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) November 20, 2010 at 10:56 am

Wow that’s amazing! ๐Ÿ˜€ Shame about the chafing though ๐Ÿ™
The rest of your day sounds awesome! Enjoy!
Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) recently posted..The Period Post

8 Jenny November 20, 2010 at 10:59 am

I never thought to use almond butter AND peanut butter. I didn’t know they’d get along. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Jenny recently posted..Frugal Friday- Leftover Lovin

9 Hangry Pants November 20, 2010 at 11:09 am

You are a running rock star! This will surely inspire me to not be a lazy ass today!

10 erin November 20, 2010 at 11:10 am

Congrats on the 20 miler this morning…

So jealous about your fun day…have a great one..and how nice it would be to wear a halter dress this time of year!! We should be reaching a high of 58 today:/

11 movesnmunchies November 20, 2010 at 11:11 am

wow!!!! I’m so impressed!!! you are 100% ready for that marathon!
movesnmunchies recently posted..Confessions

12 Amy November 20, 2010 at 11:19 am

I’m glad you had such a great run! I had an awesome run this morning too, but mine was 4.5 miles. (Still a personal distance record! Woo hoo!) I was wondering though – any reason you start your long runs so early? Does it get hot still where you are or do you just like to get an early start?

Enjoy the rest of your Saturday!
Amy recently posted..remember when

13 Meghann November 22, 2010 at 8:22 am

Congrats on your PDR! ๐Ÿ™‚

I LOVE doing my long runs early because I get to beat the heat, beat the crowds, and still have my day to myself. It was even more crucial that I had to start my 20 miler at 5:30 because we had tickets for Harry Potter at 12:30. I had to give myself time to run, shower, eat, blog, bring Maddie to the kennel, and drive30 mins to the movie theater. It was an insane Saturday morning! ๐Ÿ™‚

14 BIOCHEMISTA November 20, 2010 at 11:30 am

WOOOOHOOOOO!!!! Congrats on a stellar pace girl!!! You rock!! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
BIOCHEMISTA recently posted..Be thankful

15 KVH November 20, 2010 at 11:55 am

Congrats on an awesome 20-miler! Sounds like you will be breaking 4 hours in 2 weeks! You need to invest in some Body Glide… I put it on EVERYWHERE before I put my clothes on. Kept me nearly chafe-free in Chicago.

What about a blogger Ragner Relay? I’m sure you could find 12 bloggers to commit!

16 Meghann November 22, 2010 at 8:23 am

I have Body Glide! I just always forget to put it on.

And I’ve tried not twice, but THREE time to get people to commit to a relay race. It’s just hard when everyone is all over the country and finding 12 people who are willing to invest so much money and time into a race is a challenge. ๐Ÿ™‚

17 Hollie November 20, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Hi! Never posted, but love your blog! ๐Ÿ™‚
I plan to run my first marathon next year (have done 3 half’s) and was wondering which camelbak you use. I currently use a hand held, but not enough water for marathon distance? Does it bounce a lot?
Thanks! GREAT job on your 20!! It is motivating to read your posts! ๐Ÿ™‚

18 Meghann November 22, 2010 at 8:41 am

I have the women’s fit 1.5L camelbak —> http://mealsandmiles.com/2009/03/21/i-did-12-miles/

I love it! I’ve gotten used to the bouncing and really prefer it to carrying a waterbottle while I run. 100% would reccomend it.

19 christina cadden November 20, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Good job on your run!

20 suzie franklin November 20, 2010 at 12:27 pm

I would so be in for a ragner relay style race. In face there is a race from L.A. to San Deigo that I’m going to do this year and could find you a spot on the team.

21 Halley (Blunder Construction) November 20, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Ooh, that ham steak looks like a serious hunk of meat. Never tried it! Congrats on the race!
Halley (Blunder Construction) recently posted..Carrot Tops

22 Katy (The Singing Runner) November 20, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Congratulations on a great run! I did half that distance today! ๐Ÿ™‚

Hey, and if you ever need someone to do that relay with you… sign me up! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Have a great day!
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Ice Ice Baby

23 Callie November 20, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I just totally confused my husband and his Ragnar team by calling and asking if they saw you on the trail. Haha. My husband LOVES doing the relays – this is his second! I signed up for Ragnar Key West in January but now I (obviously) can’t do it so I need someone to fill my spot. Maybe you’d be interested in doing a Relay with 11 random strangers? Hehe.
Callie recently posted..Costume Success!

24 Semisweet Courtney November 20, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Congratulations!!! ๐Ÿ˜€ And I would totally be part of your relay team ๐Ÿ™‚
Semisweet Courtney recently posted..Holiday Gift Guide

25 Matt November 20, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Great run!

If you need a relay team, count me in ๐Ÿ˜‰

26 Ashley November 20, 2010 at 1:15 pm

That time is amazing. I can only dream of breaking my 10 min pace and 2 mile distances. *sigh* if only. Sounds like your Saturday will be awesome <3 Harry Potter. Happy Birthday Ben

27 Anon November 20, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Hi there, I’m a relatively newish reader. I have a question about running. After a few years of poor health, I’ve been gradually re-introducing activity into my life. But, I’m very discouraged. It takes me 30 minutes to jog 2.7 miles on a treadmill at a 2.0 incline.
Compared to my former self, this is discouraging. I’m not sure what kind of program I should follow. I want to focus more on strength ,but I feel cardio is essential. I’m very discouraged by my jogging failures and I worry because I know this would be much much slower if taken on the outdoors road. Any thoughts?
Also, I had 2 eggs scrambled in coconut oil and veggies and avocado for lunch , a side of grains. I’m a big meat eater!

28 Meghann November 22, 2010 at 8:51 am

Don’t be discouraged! We all start off slowly (even if we were fast before) just stick with it! If you want to gain a little speed to your treadmill jog I would suggest bringing your incline down to 0.5. If you keep it on 2.0 it’s going to feel like you’re runnning on a gradual incline the entire time and wear you out faster.

29 Amy* November 20, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Wow! You are speedy! Congrats on your 20 miles! I did 20 miles last weekend, but it took me over 4 hours. (I’m getting ready for my 1st marathon!) Good luck on the big race in 2 weeks!*

30 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat November 20, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Awesome run!! I have a feeling this will be your race to break 4 hours!!
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..Marbury v Madison &amp Holiday Favorites

31 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun November 20, 2010 at 1:55 pm

You amaze me with your runs!! That chafing looks painful. ๐Ÿ™
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..back to life with good surprises

32 chandra November 20, 2010 at 1:59 pm

The Ragnar Relays are SO much fun!! But yes, finding 12 people crazy enough to do it is definitely a challenge!!

Great job on your 20 miler!
chandra recently posted..Month of Shenanigans

33 Meghann November 22, 2010 at 8:52 am

I know and I’ve talked to you about this before! I think my best bet to doing one will be to just find a random team to join. ๐Ÿ™‚

34 Runeatrepeat November 20, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Ahhh! I’m super bummed that I can’t run the marathon with you in 2 weeks. That is practically the exact same time I did my 20 miler in for my full training. Makes me want to try and break 4 with you so bad! Great job.

35 Meghann November 22, 2010 at 8:52 am

I wish you could run it with me too! Booooooo

36 ida November 20, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Looks like you’re on track to smash 4hrs!

37 Carolyn @ lovinlosing November 20, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Great run! I’m a little jealous since I’m injured right now and can’t run. ๐Ÿ™ So, you’re seeing Harry Potter!? Me, too! Can’t wait!
Carolyn @ lovinlosing recently posted..Sweet Endings

38 Stacey K. November 20, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Congrats on a great run! You are going to kick ass in your marathon! ๐Ÿ™‚

Where do you buy your chocolate covered edamame? I cant find them anywhere?

And HP was AMAZING!! You are going to loveeee it!

Stacey

39 Sana November 20, 2010 at 5:44 pm

You have been having some EPIC runs! Way to take care of your body!
Sana recently posted..UMBCEats meets Six Mile

40 Jenny November 20, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Awesome for you! And yes, chaffing does suck!

41 Lee November 20, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Great job on your run. I always seem to chafe under my boobs. I’m not sure how that even happens, but it does.
Lee recently posted..Cooking Veg

42 Meghann November 22, 2010 at 8:53 am

I chafe under my boobs too! But not as much as on my shoulders

43 Britt @ Runnerbelle November 20, 2010 at 8:03 pm

If you are ever interested in doing Reach the Beach I have a team! Seems like we always end up looking for a final person or two at the end, usually a female. We have done the NH Reach the Beach the last 6 or 7 years and we have a crew signed up to do the new MA Reach the Beach in May.
Britt @ Runnerbelle recently posted..Pain in the backโ€ฆ

44 Caroline November 21, 2010 at 8:23 am

Do you wear a reflective vest when you’re out at dawn like that? I’m toying with the idea of trying to run before work, but the idea of not being seen by a driver worries me.

45 Meghann November 22, 2010 at 8:54 am

I don’t have a reflective vest, but I wear a reflective wrist band, have reflective strips on my camelbak and on my shoes. I’m also lucky to have sidewalks to run on and well lit streets. I’ve toyed with the idea of getting a vest too, but haven’t jumped to make that purchase yet.

46 Cynthia November 21, 2010 at 11:10 am

Great job on the 20 miler ๐Ÿ™‚
Cynthia recently posted..Easy Friday and end of Week 2 of my training plan –

47 Natalie (The Sweet Life) November 21, 2010 at 10:03 pm

I’ve done 2 relays (both were the MC200…racing from Madison, WI to Chicago) and it was SUCH an awesome experience. I can’t say enough good things about it…especially if you have a good team! We’re actually branching out and doing a destination relay this year…going to DC in September to do it. I can’t wait!
Natalie (The Sweet Life) recently posted..Caramel Apple Cheesecake Pie

48 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday November 22, 2010 at 9:12 am

Wow, your speed is so impressive!
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..Breakfast in Bed