November 17, 1989

by Meghann on November 17, 2010

1989 was a very important year in history

• It was the year I decided I wanted to become a mermaid after seeing  The Little Mermaid in the theater dozens of times.
  • It was the year my first obsession with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles began
  • It was the first year I shared a room with my sister (a tradition that carried on for 10 years after that)

AND……

It was the year my baby brother arrived on this earth and that made it the best year ever! 🙂

And though we’ve had our fair share of disagreements over the years (remind me to tell you the story some day of the time he broke my window by throwing a shoe at it because I wouldn’t let him in) he’s still the best little brother any girl could ask for. Twenty – One years later and he’s still taking that world by storm.

Happy Twenty – First Birthday Ben – Ben!!!

The first round’s on me. 😉

I can’t believe my little brother is 21!! Wasn’t I just 21? Wasn’t he just in diapers? Didn’t I just watch Little Mermaid yesterday?

It’s times like these I wonder how my parents feel. They’re both in their mid-40s with 4 kids that are all above drinking age. What am I saying? They’re loving it. 🙂

Hopefully, I’ll be up to celebrating with him tonight. I skipped my run this morning and when I told my supervisor that she goes “you must be sick then.” She knows me so well.

Instead I slept in, ate some spicy crystallized ginger, took more Elderberry Extract, and made a simple breakfast of waffles and apple slices.

IMG_7302

These were Pumpkin Waffles I had made the other week and froze for a quick morning meal.

IMG_7305

I toasted the waffle and coated it with peanut butter, pumpkin butter, granola, and raisins.

IMG_7312

1/2 a Honeycrisp Apple for extra nutrients.

IMG_7306

IMG_7315

I have some really important meetings this morning, but I’m hoping to get most of my work done before then, so I can head home afterwards. My co-workers are already avoiding me like the plague and I really don’t want to spread what I have. 🙁

1 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine November 17, 2010 at 9:01 am

Awwww…happy birthday to your little bro!!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Registration Day

2 Sarah @ See Sarah Eat November 17, 2010 at 9:03 am

Aww, happy birthday to your baby brother! Time really does fly 🙂

Yummy looking waffles too! Hope you feel better and get some rest today.
Sarah @ See Sarah Eat recently posted..Queen of Sheba

3 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 17, 2010 at 9:09 am

Good luck with those meetings! And thanks for the reminder about the pumpkin waffles – I’ve been meaning to try those.

Happy Birthday to your brother! 😀
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..I’ve never been to heaven…

4 Carolyn @ Lovin' Losing November 17, 2010 at 9:10 am

Hope you feel better soon and get to enjoy your brother’s birthday!
Carolyn @ Lovin’ Losing recently posted..Homemade Bread

5 Caitlin (EatFeats) November 17, 2010 at 9:12 am

Whoo hoo happy birthday Ben! I remember turning 21–turns out you don’t get to stay that age forever. I eventually turned 22, and I was like, WHOA, that’s old enough.
Caitlin (EatFeats) recently posted..The Printing Press

6 Katy (The Singing Runner) November 17, 2010 at 9:13 am

Happy birthday to your brother!!! May he have a great 21st!!! 😉 I still have until April until I turn 21.

I hope you feel better soon! 🙂

Have a great Wednesday!
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Ice Ice Baby

7 alison November 17, 2010 at 9:16 am

Happy 21st birthday to your little bro! He’s my birthday twin, except I’m 34 today. I wish I were 21 again!
I know how you feel though, my baby sister is 27. It’s amazing how quickly time flies.

I hope you feel better soon!!
alison recently posted..Whats That Saying About Best Laid Plans

8 Meghann November 17, 2010 at 9:18 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

9 Kelly November 17, 2010 at 9:30 am

Happy Birthday to Ben! There’s definitely something going around, I keep waking up with more and more cold symptoms. Not cool!
Kelly recently posted..It’s Almost Over

10 Mindy @ just a one girl revolution. November 17, 2010 at 9:35 am

Happy birthday Ben!!!
Mindy @ just a one girl revolution. recently posted..sabbath

11 Amy November 17, 2010 at 9:41 am

Oh, I hope you feel better soon! Maybe take your brother out this weekend instead?
Amy recently posted..disappearance

12 Rachel November 17, 2010 at 9:52 am

Ah yes, little brothers grow us fast. I haven’t been able to remember how old my little bro is since he turned 21 a few years ago. He’s taller and stronger than me now so I can’t pick on him anymore!
Have fun celebrating with your brother tonight!
Rachel recently posted..Everyone’s Muffins

13 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) November 17, 2010 at 9:56 am

Happy Birthday to your lil brother! 😀 Such cute photos…time really does fly!
And hope you feel better soon, so you can be up and running again! 😛
Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) recently posted..Bakers love black bananas

14 Meredith November 17, 2010 at 10:03 am

Happy Birthday to your brother! I have been reading your blog for a year now and I think today might be the first time I commented 🙂 I felt a birthday was as good a time as any! Anyway, I absolutely love your blog, its one of my favs and I look forward to reading it every morning with my bfast and coffee. I hope you feel better soon! Did the elderberry extract help?

15 Lacey @ Lake Life November 17, 2010 at 10:20 am

Happy Birthday to your bro!

I must commend you on sticking with your healthy eating habits while sick. I always use being sick as an excuse to eat tons of comfort food 🙁
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..Anti-Monkey Butt &amp Chicken Poop

16 movesnmunchies November 17, 2010 at 10:27 am

such a sweet post! happy birthday to your bro!!
movesnmunchies recently posted..Healthified Cookie Dough Ice Cream!

17 Kiran November 17, 2010 at 10:42 am

Happy 21st Ben! I feel so old 😀
Hope you feel better soon dear, it is after all the cold n flu season. Take it easy 🙂
Kiran recently posted..Curried Pumpkin

18 Jenny November 17, 2010 at 10:42 am

Happy birthday to your bro! That pumpkin waffle looks om-nom-nom delicious.
Jenny recently posted..Munchies Monday- Homemade Veggie Spring Rolls

19 Ali November 17, 2010 at 10:48 am

Happy Birthday to Ben! Hope you have so much fun celebrating with him tonight. My sister turns 21 in December, so I am really looking forward to that as well. 🙂
Ali recently posted..Tooth-Hurty

20 rachael (peace, kale, and yoga) November 17, 2010 at 11:10 am

Happy birthday to your little brother! Time does fly by even faster when you have kids! I saw your comment below about not liking elderberry extract, Wise Woman herbals makes an elderberry syrup that is much better in my opinion. 🙂

21 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather November 17, 2010 at 11:14 am

Thank goodness for planning ahead and making extra breakfast huh? Having quick re-heatable breakfast are a lifesaver at times.

22 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday November 17, 2010 at 11:21 am

Happy Birthday to your brother!
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..Ma’amool B’Jowz

23 Marina November 17, 2010 at 11:28 am

Happy b-day to your brother!
Have some fun tonight!

24 Matt November 17, 2010 at 11:32 am

Tell your little bro happy bday for me!

AND GET BETTER SOON!
Matt recently posted..Guest Post- The Anatomy of Barefoot Running

25 Jess@atasteofconfidence November 17, 2010 at 11:35 am

Your brother and I were born 13 days apart! hehe. hope you’re feeling better.
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..Remembering a Loved One

26 Jen November 17, 2010 at 11:50 am

I am starting to feel wicked old! I was a sophomore in high school in 1989.
Happy Birthday to your brother!
Jen recently posted..Gloom and Doom

27 Alicia at Poise in Parma November 17, 2010 at 11:53 am

Today’s my husband’s birthday also! Lots of November bdays to enjoy, so happy birthday to your bro!
Alicia at Poise in Parma recently posted..Savasana in the Dentist’s Chair

28 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun November 17, 2010 at 12:02 pm

I have a sister who just turned 21 a few weeks ago. Happy birthday to your brother!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..back to life with good surprises

29 Laura @ Backstage Pass November 17, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Happy Birthday, little bro! What fun pictures. I am loving your Dad’s hair in the photo with your brother as a newborn, and all of you kids look so sassy in that early 90s picture 🙂
Hope that you feel better. Gotta rest up so that you can party later!
Laura @ Backstage Pass recently posted..A girl can dream- Kate Middletons ring

30 Evan Thomas November 17, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Happy birthday, Ben!
And what is it with remembering years by when The Little Mermaid came out? Some of us can’t think back that far 😉

31 Lauren @ laurenINlawrence November 17, 2010 at 12:41 pm

My baby brother’s birthday is today, too! Except he is just five 🙂 If you want to see a cute little kid, check out my sister’s awesome tribute post to him at http://www.victoriainvirginia.com he is a little loveable ham!
Lauren @ laurenINlawrence recently posted..Fuel

32 Casey November 17, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Happy b-day to your brother and I hope you feel better soon Meghann! 🙂

33 Krystina November 17, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Happy Birthday to Ben! He’s a cutie! 😀
Krystina recently posted..Chipotle Cornbread

34 Mimi November 17, 2010 at 1:02 pm

I had my fair share of apples and waffles when I was sick a couple weeks ago.
Hope you feel better soon…
And happy birthday to your brother!
Mimi recently posted..Classic bruschetta

35 Becca November 17, 2010 at 1:47 pm

What do you do with the other half the apple? Sometimes I only want half, but then the other half is wasted mush.
Becca recently posted..Engagement pictures!!!

36 Britt @ Runnerbelle November 17, 2010 at 2:01 pm

God I feel old! LOL

Today is my b-day too….. but I was born just a few years ealier. November 17th is a great b-day though, I shared it with my now deceased grandmother. It was so awesome to share a birthday with her. 🙂

Hope you feel better soon!

37 Sami November 17, 2010 at 3:11 pm

So, is your brother single by any chance? 🙂

38 Sami November 17, 2010 at 3:11 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BEN!!!!
Sami recently posted..You Are More

39 Ali November 17, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Cute post! I love all the family photos. The Little Mermaid was amazing when it first came out. Aside from Mary Poppins- it was my favorite Disney Movie! Happy Birthday to your little brother!
Ali recently posted..A Lil’ Something Different

40 Heather November 17, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Wow, you really must be sick. I’ve been reading your blog for years and can probably remember only 2 other times you skipped a planned run. Maybe not even 2!

41 rebecca lustig November 17, 2010 at 11:05 pm

aw, happiest of birthdays to the bro!!