Elderberry Extract

by Meghann on November 16, 2010

I made another friend today.

IMG_7241

Elderberry Extract was highly recommended by a few readers, Facebook friends, and a co-worker. As soon my cough kicked in this morning, I high tailed it to the nearest health store to pick up a bottle.

The directions recommend adding a dropper full of the elderberry extract to a hot cup of water. However, my co-worker recommended I NOT  do that. He told me it was better to take the ‘ripping off a band aid’ approach and take two droppers full at the back of my throat in order to get it over with as quickly and pain free as possible.

Here goes nothing.

IMG_7246 IMG_7249 IMG_7250 IMG_7251  IMG_7253

mmm…. tasty – NOT!

I hope this works! Disgusting or not, I’ll have another two droppers full in a few hours and then another two a few more after that until this scratchy throat is gone!

While I was at the health store picking up the Elderberry Extract I decided to grab lunch from the little cafe in the story.

I figured a nutrient rich juice wouldn’t hurt.

IMAG0329

When I ordered the juice the cashier gave me a smile and told me she had made more Maximum Impact Juice then she could count today. Apparently the change in weather has had everyone running for the cure all juice in troves.

IMAG0331

It was delicious, but definitely missing ginger. The spicy ginger would have given it a nice kick.

IMAG0332

I also ordered the Carrot & Cheddar Melt on Sprouted Wheat Spread.

IMG_7231

This sandwich was amazing! I loved the melted cheesey cheddar with the sweet carrots. I need to recreate this combo at home ASAP.

IMG_7238

My sandwich came with some blue chips and two ginger snaps.

IMG_7240

I love that they included cookies with my sandwich. 🙂

What’s your best defense against Cold & Flu Season?

1 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 16, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Heheh LOVE your face in those photos!! I just tried wheatgrass juice for the first time this morning and I hear it’s supposed to do great things for energy and the bod in general. Still too early to tell, but maybe you could give that a try?!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..I’ve never been to heaven…

2 Heather @ Side of Sneakers November 16, 2010 at 2:14 pm

I LOVE your reaction to the elderberry….that good, huh? 😉
Heather @ Side of Sneakers recently posted..Why It’s Ok Not to Exercise

3 Lew (ashandlewplus2.com November 16, 2010 at 2:15 pm

I drink a sip of TheraFlu Warming Relief Cherry flavor almost every day when in the winter before I go to bed and I rarely get sick. Try it and it taste good!!! No more bad faces 🙂
Lew
Lew (ashandlewplus2.com recently posted..Weekend Recap

4 Madison November 16, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Cute headband! 🙂
Madison recently posted..It’s about time

5 Mindy @ just a one girl revolution. November 16, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Sleep + NetiPot (if it’s sinus-y stuff) + hot tea + sleep + vitamin C + sleep
Mindy @ just a one girl revolution. recently posted..sabbath

6 Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher November 16, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Eeeeeeek! It’s obviously some nasty stuff.
Hope it helps 🙂

7 Kelly November 16, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I woke up with a scratchy throat this morning, and with my first half marathon sunday I need to kick it in the ass.
Kelly recently posted..It’s Almost Over

8 Laura November 16, 2010 at 2:25 pm

My neti pot, echinacea tea, and lots of sleep are my best defenses against colds. I’ll have to keep in mind elderberry extract next time I have a cold.

9 Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous November 16, 2010 at 2:41 pm

That lunch looks INCREDIBLE.

10 Amy November 16, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Your headband is so cute, and that lunch looks AMAZING. I hope the elderberry works! I usually do hot tea + sleep + zicam, and that does the trick. 🙂
Amy recently posted..disappearance

11 Amanda November 16, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Yogi Tea tastes much better than elderberry extract. 🙂 Go for the cold sampler if you have a little bit of everything. It’s helped me from getting any sicker when I start to feel sick. Feel better!

12 Honey B. November 16, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Hysterical. GREAT photos. I take elderberry when I’m coming down with a cold, too – I didn’t think it was so bad!! I take garlic tablets too. And green juice and hot tea and sleep of course!! Hope you feel better. x

13 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life November 16, 2010 at 2:52 pm

haha oh man that stuff must taste terrible! Those pictures are hilarious.

But that sandwich looks yummy!! At least your doing everything you can to get better quickly!
Jillian @ Reshape Your Life recently posted..Mish Mosh

14 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun November 16, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Based on those pictures, it looks like a very unpleasurable experience. Hope it works for you!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..back to life with good surprises

15 Amanda November 16, 2010 at 2:53 pm

If I have a sore throat I gargle (sp?) with salt water or if you can find it tea tree oil works (taste is not great)
Amanda recently posted..Untitled 1

16 RunningOnCoffee November 16, 2010 at 2:54 pm

your lunch looked good anyway!

I’ve had the Elderberry stuff before– where I get it, it doesn’t come with the dropper though, just a little bottle (like cough syrup). I have never put it in hot water, just taken a swig from the bottle. It definitely has a strong taste, but I guess it’s something I’ve gotten used to! I usually follow up with a big sip of water too.
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Drinking Lots of Water

17 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday November 16, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Love those pictures of you! Judging by your reaction that elderberry extract looks pretty disgusting.
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..Ma’amool B’Jowz

18 Jill November 16, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Neti pot, oil of oregano (a few drops under the tongue), hand washing.. and keeping my fingernails short. I don’t know if that last one helps, but I just imagine all of the germs under my nails and promptly chop them off 🙂
Jill recently posted..Christmas Card Countdown

19 Kacy November 16, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Haha, for as bad as it looks like that tasted I sure hope it works! I used to take occilliococcinum (otc homeopathic med) when I thought I was coming down with a cold/flu. It worked several times!
Kacy recently posted..Well that’s good news

20 Cynthia Crowsen November 16, 2010 at 3:03 pm

I wash my hands A LOT this time of year. And I drink hot tea like nobody’s business. I also make sure to get the flu vaccine because I’m exposed to the public constantly. And I kick symptoms in the but ASAP with natural remedies or medication if necessary.

21 Clare @ Fitting It All In November 16, 2010 at 3:13 pm

I felt a little sore throat and running nose coming on, and my secret is AMAZING GRASS. Usually in the form of green monsters! Curious to see if Elderberry works though!
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..Surprise on a Surprise

22 Kiran November 16, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Hope you feel better soon. I’m always drinking hot fluids during the cold season. Teas with fresh ginger, so soothing.
Kiran recently posted..Curried Pumpkin

23 sweetersalt November 16, 2010 at 3:45 pm

I tried a sample of elderberry extract at Whole Foods the other day, thinking it was diluted. It was not – whoa!

I usually just grab an orange, take a multivit and hope for the best!

Laura
sweetersalt recently posted..A Sunny Day Ensemble

24 Silvia November 16, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Elderberry juice is much more palatable! I have an elderberry bush in my garden, and every fall make my own juice. It is really packed with antioxidants.

Other fighting weapons: lots of hot miso soup, emergency-C, sauna/steam bath, and rest!
Silvia recently posted..Radicchio Salad with Grapes- Walnuts and Shaved Parmesan

25 michelle November 16, 2010 at 3:55 pm

yum yum that lunch looks delicious!
michelle recently posted..Look what came in the mail!!

26 Madeline - Greens and Jeans November 16, 2010 at 4:17 pm

EmergenC works wonders for me this time of year!
Madeline – Greens and Jeans recently posted..task master

27 Lisa (bakebikeblog) November 16, 2010 at 4:26 pm

My standard cure is to dissolve an asprin in a little hot water, with a squeeze of lemon juice and a drop of honey. Drink it down, put on some warm clothes, and hop into bed. I find that I tend to sweat out all the nasties and by the morning I feel great!!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..8 reasons I love weekends…

28 bloomingbuzz November 16, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I’m gonna say that my best defense is being sure I get enough sleep and wash my hands ALOT, especially when I know the odds are high that a bug is around. I know, I know, these are things I should be careful about all the time…but I try to be more aware of it at least!
bloomingbuzz recently posted..coincidental love square

29 Beth @ DiningAndDishing November 16, 2010 at 4:45 pm

The flu shot! My mum is a nurse and swears by it. I haven’t gotten mine yet this year so she has been after me big time! 🙂
Beth @ DiningAndDishing recently posted..Bean- Olive and Spinach Mash

30 Tab- Just Weighing In November 16, 2010 at 5:07 pm

I usually start downing the Vitamin C and lots and lots of rest!
Tab- Just Weighing In recently posted..Weekend Recap

31 Whitney November 16, 2010 at 5:32 pm

I’ve been looking for a water bottle with a straw like that! Where did you get yours?

32 RunningOnCoffee November 16, 2010 at 6:04 pm

I’ve got one like it but stainless steel & insulated from backcountry.com

Check EMS, REI, etc.
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Drinking Lots of Water

33 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) November 16, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Haha good reaction photos! 😀
My best defence? Dark Chocolate 😛
Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) recently posted..Bakers love black bananas

34 Biz November 16, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Two words: Flu Shot.

When I was diagnosed diabetic in 2000, my doctor practically demanded I get a flu shot every year – and (I am probably jinxing myself by saying this) I haven’t been sick in 10 years! 😀
Biz recently posted..Pumpkin Scones with Spicy Glaze

35 Amy at The Scene From Me November 16, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Your orange colored juice drink sounds scrumptious!

I always get a flu shot and have never had the flu. Even with working in healthcare around sick people every day!
Amy at The Scene From Me recently posted..Home Sweet Home

36 Kaitlin With Honey November 16, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Ugh, forcing yourself to take gross medicine is the worst. I still feel like I’m 5 years old when I stand there with the spoon or cup or whatever and convincing (bribing) myself to take it.
Kaitlin With Honey recently posted..A Perfect Day- Part 4- The End

37 Michaela November 16, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Dayquil + Nyquil + sleeping as much as possible

38 Lily's Health Pad November 16, 2010 at 7:32 pm

This is definitely a new (to me) cold remedy. I know it tastes nasty, but what does it taste like? I’d like to try it out next time I get a cold.

39 Jaime November 16, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Zinc, zinc and more zinc! When I was younger, I’d get bronchitis every year and colds frequently. I tried almost every popular over the counter/common vitamin/homeopathic under the sun (vitamin c, echinacea, Zicam, etc.), but while some things made me feel “less-worse,” nothing really worked. Five years ago I started taking high doses of zinc when I felt anything come on and–no lie–I have not had a cold in five years. I’ll also add that I live in New England where weather changes are frequent and tend to aggravate cold/allergy symptoms.

40 Lacey @ Lake Life November 16, 2010 at 8:19 pm

SLEEP is my best defense against cold and flu season, as well as running my humidifier when I sleep at night.
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..Anti-Monkey Butt &amp Chicken Poop

41 mml November 16, 2010 at 8:37 pm

I love your cute headband. I always go for vitamin C and sleep!

42 Margo November 16, 2010 at 8:45 pm

I just love your headband!! I swear by Zinc during cold/flu season, but with that reaction, I hope the Elderberry works!!

43 'laina November 16, 2010 at 9:01 pm

I was told to gargle the elderberry as close to throat as possible for maximum effect. I haven’t tried it, yet, but look forward to seeing your results on elderberry in general. 🙂

44 Elaine November 16, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Ha ha! Your facial expressions were so funny!

45 Katy (The Singing Runner) November 16, 2010 at 10:34 pm

While your reaction to the Elderberry looks painful, I may need to try the stuff. Let us know if it actually works!

My best defense against cold and flu season is eating VERY healthy, exercising regularly, taking a lot of vitamins, and trying to keep my stress levels down! 🙂
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Ice Ice Baby

46 Amy K. @ Onehealthypeanut November 16, 2010 at 11:22 pm

MMMM I love ginger cookies! Cute headband!!
Amy K. @ Onehealthypeanut recently posted..Most Important Meal of the Day

47 Tessa November 17, 2010 at 7:06 am

ohh lala! I would have never thought of using a cooked carrot puree as the star of a sandwich! how creative!

I know it’s crazy to do in the middle of winter, but i still start out every day with a HUGE smoothie. First 1 scoop of Amazing Meal, spirulina and Vitamin C powder. Then, in goes 3-4 cups spinach or kale and then my choice of fruit! Raw foods baby. They keep your body goin strong!

48 MelanieF November 17, 2010 at 8:06 am

I live in Canada, so we get our dose of colds and flus and sometimes worst. I always eat lots of fruits and green veggies. I take a daily vitamin D. And lots of green tea and water. When I feel like I will be getting sick, I get plenty opf rest (even from exercise), drink lots of water and eat good nutitrious food.

49 Trish November 17, 2010 at 5:11 pm

I’ve never seen it in dropper form. I get Nature’s Way extract that comes in a big 8oz bottle – Sambucus. I take it every morning – more when I feel myself getting sick. I actually look forward to taking it as it tastes good – at least the one I buy does. And I swear it works – I hardy ever get sick and if I do, it goes away much faster.

50 Joshua November 19, 2010 at 11:36 am

Getting it at the start is the key and Elderberry is the bomb!
I’m a student of holistic medicine. My treatment is Elderberry extract, zinc and selenium supplements (take with food especially zinc). Also eat meals high in greens (less you are on blood thinners), carrots, garlic, ginger and mushrooms! Mushrooms help your body build leukocytes!
For aggressive colds, I go thai! All the goodness of above, plus chili to thin the mucus so you can breathe…cuz I like breathing.

{ 1 trackback }