I will not get sick. I will not get sick.

by Meghann on November 15, 2010

My new best friend this week.

IMG_7143

I will not get sick. I will not get sick. I will not get sick. I will not get sick.

It started on Saturday. I woke up with a dry throat and never felt like I could quench my thirst all day. Yesterday the loopy feeling and fatigue set in. Today my throat is on fire and my sinuses are all tight.

I’m gorging on vitamin C, drinking wellness tea to coat my throat, and sucking on Halls Refresh when ever possible in hopes of stopping a full blown sickness from forming. Having a cold is no fun, especially when the rest of my body feels great.

Here’s hoping I can beat this thing.

Luckily, I still have the ability to taste food food and the appetite to go with it.

IMG_7123

For lunch today I pressed a wrap stuffed with arugula and left over Butternut Squash Quinoa Salad (I have buckets of this stuff left!).

IMG_7131

With a side of Fritos.

IMG_7133

What I really wanted was ice cream for my throat. Maybe I’ll make a smoothie for dinner? That sounds really nice right about now.

1 Lew November 15, 2010 at 2:35 pm

You should try Ashlees green monster smoothie it is amazing. And will help http://ashandlewplus2.com/2010/10/28/best-smoothie-ever/

2 Shannon @ Freshman Yr of Life November 15, 2010 at 2:38 pm

boo! I hope you don’t get sick :( drink LOTS of water!!

3 Amanda (Eating Up) November 15, 2010 at 2:39 pm

I love ice cream when I’m sick–although I’m pretty sure milk isn’t good for the stomach in most cases. Good thing I also love vegan ice cream!

4 Amy November 15, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Zicam! That always helps me. And LOTS of tea and rest. Hopefully you’ll be feeling better tomorrow!

5 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat November 15, 2010 at 2:44 pm

I’ve had remarkable success with Cold-Eeze. And positive thinking helps too :)

Feel better!

6 Trish November 15, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Drink some green smoothies. Take a greens supp.

I also like to use black elderberry syrup – keeps me from getting sick and helps me get over being sick much faster. I get Natures Way Sambucus (sp?)

7 Sana November 15, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Chugg that Vitamin C and Green Tea. You will get better!

8 breakingsilence @ Freshman -15 November 15, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Try hot lemonade with honey!

9 BIOCHEMISTA November 15, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Take some zinc too! That’s even better than vitamin C. Just remember to take it with meals so you don’t get sick :)

10 Taylor November 15, 2010 at 3:15 pm

I’m currently drinking a vitamin c supplement in hopes of avoiding a cold as well! I’m all stuffy but hopefully if I keep this up it won’t get any worse. Good luck to you!!

11 Sherry November 15, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Elderberry Extract Capsules!!!!!!! Attacks the virus. You should get some.

12 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 15, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Your lunch looks delicious!! I was taking Immunity FX for a while to fend off a cold, and it seems to have worked. (Either that, or all the other things I was doing were helping too – sleep, good eating, etc.) Good luck, and positive thinking! :D

13 Michelle November 15, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Have you used a Neti-Pot (or it’s cousin the Sinus Rinse)? I highly recommend it to help with any/all sinus pressure (and sore throat – probably caused by post-nasal drip). You can buy a kit at any drug store for $10-15. It’s been a life saver for me!

14 Maria @ runningcupcake November 15, 2010 at 3:27 pm

I like OJ topped up with warm water- sounds weird but is very nice when you have a sore throat :)

15 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life November 15, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Make sure you get your rest!! Take some nyquil or something tonight to help you sleep (and help with your symptoms obviously!) Getting a good nights rest is the BEST way to fight off a cold!

16 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday November 15, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Ecinacea is supposed to work well too for prevention

17 Kacy November 15, 2010 at 3:52 pm

I’ve been repeating the same thing all day. I have a half this weekend and need to be healthy! I hope you beat the cold!

18 Lauren November 15, 2010 at 3:54 pm

I was dealing with the same thing this weekend. It hit me Friday afternoon; by Friday night I didn’t want to eat anything because it killed me to swallow. Saturday was the same thing. Saturday night a friend suggested(and why I didn’t think of it before, I don’t know because my MawMaw used to do this all the time) making a cup of hot tea and adding a shot or two of bourbon to it. I did that and went to bed, still with a sore throat. But I woke up yesterday and it wasn’t hurting anymore! Give it a shot. Add some honey and lemon because it can be kind of nasty without it.

19 adriana November 15, 2010 at 3:58 pm

drink green smoothies! and zinc! that’s how I avoided getting sick this weekend.

20 Alina (Duty Free Foodie) November 15, 2010 at 4:01 pm

You know what works even better than Vitamin C?

Zinc lozenges. Seriously. If you take them at the beginning of getting sick, they are super effective!

21 Lisa (bakebikeblog) November 15, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Sending you lots of speedy recovery vibes xx

22 movesnmunchies November 15, 2010 at 4:27 pm

I’m feeling it too! over the weekend I got the whole sore throat, stuffy head feeling– at least we still have our appetites- I hate when that happens!

23 Julia November 15, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Zicam is my go to when I feel a cold coming on. I believe it has zinc in it. It has definitely helped me get over colds quicker and easier.
Hope you feel better!

24 Debbie~ November 15, 2010 at 4:52 pm

My son had the same symptoms…I waited half the week to take him to the Dr. thinking it was just a virus…it wasn’t, it was strep. Take care of yourself…hope you feel better!!

25 Holly November 15, 2010 at 5:12 pm

BOOOO!!!Hope you feel better soon! Being sick (ahem, not sick but you know…) stinks!! Continue the vit C and add vit a to the mix–can’t tell you the scientific reasons, but my sports doc had me do that last year when i got sick right before my 1/2 ironman and it worked like a charm!

26 Mimi November 15, 2010 at 6:15 pm

In all the time I’ve been reading this blog (a long time!) I don’t remember you getting sick… I hope this doesn’t become the first! Get well!

27 Brittney November 15, 2010 at 6:49 pm

If your sinuses are bothering you, take the mucinex in the orange/reddish box. It is the BEST. Just drink a full glass of water each time you take it! I get sinus infections ALL the time and health services on campus is less than helpful and this is the only thing that helps to get me better.

28 bloomingbuzz November 15, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Let’s see…when I was sick, I used it as an excuse to sleep a lot and be lazy. So if you must rest up to avoid this thing, I highly suggest it :) Oh-and ice cream NEVER hurts in my experience!

29 Lauren November 15, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Feel better sweet girl. I hate that “I know I’m getting sick feeling.” Sometimes its unavoidable but I’m praying it’s not as bad as it could be. Just a sniffle or two and you’ll be back to normal in no time.

30 Erin Q. November 15, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Vitamin C unfortunately only acts a placebo when it comes to cold prevention/remedy–as are most supplements containing it and similar placebos Zinc and the herb Echinacea, including Airborne, Cold-Eeze. Sure, placebo effects are not nothing, but it’s probably not worth the cost to buy something which you can take 500% your RDV and your body will literally piss out all of it, except the small amount you do need, in just a few hours.

31 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather November 15, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Sickness is not allowed. Time for chicken noodle soup!

32 Semisweet Courtney November 15, 2010 at 8:00 pm

I’m actually sick with sore throat right now :/ hope you feel better! :)

33 Laura (Starloz) November 15, 2010 at 8:34 pm

here’s hoping the tablets have helped.
also, i’m thinking of making the quinoa salad

34 Angela (the diet book junkie) November 15, 2010 at 8:39 pm

i swear by vitamin C. at the first sign of sniffles, i begin popping them like candy and it works. kiwi fruit and peppers are also a great source. hope you’re feeling better soon! :)

35 Melissa November 15, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Just wondering? Are you getting enough Vitamin D? Vitamin C has proven to have no benefits, and since you eat healthy, you are probably just peeing out that supplement. We learned a lot about this in my nutrition metabolism classes (I have a BS in Nutritional Sciences…so I’m not off my rocker haha).

36 Meghann November 15, 2010 at 9:58 pm

I think I’m getting enough Vitamin D. I live in Florida and spend as much time in the sun as possible. That counts, right?

37 Melissa November 16, 2010 at 8:13 am

If you’re using sunscreen, as I hope you are, maybe not. I’m from the north, and I take a supplement, also because I’m lactose intolerant and cannot drink milk for Vitamin D. The USDA will also be increasing the Adequate Intake of Vitamin D soon. It will be above what most people can get through food (unless you guzzle milk like it’s your job). 200 IUs is what is currently recommended, but my professors speculate it will go up to 600 IUs by the end of the year. Also, you would have to take a lot of Vitamin D to develop toxicity, so don’t worry about that. A 400 IU (mg) supplement may be a good idea. Feel free to email me if you have more questions :) Hope you’re feeling better!

38 Tab- Just Weighing In November 15, 2010 at 9:14 pm

I hear you – the loss of appetite is one of the worst things about getting sick so I’m glad you still have yours. Hopefully it’ll go away soon!

39 Rafael Quiles November 15, 2010 at 9:50 pm

This is the supplement we take, we cannot go a month without it. I have friends that run and say it helps them with their aches too =)

40 Jaime @If You Lived Here You'd Be Home Now November 15, 2010 at 10:10 pm

um….i think you need to chant….i am healthy i am healthy i am healthy…..

i am so there with you….doing the very same chant. here is to winning the germ fight!

41 Gina G November 15, 2010 at 10:18 pm