Men

by Meghann on November 14, 2010

Last night I had a living room full of men.

Unfortunately I’m related to two of them, but at least they didn’t mind the mess. They watched Football and I read blogs – sounds like a perfect evening to me. πŸ™‚

My twin brother drove up from Miami last night to take round 3 (I think it was 3?) of his boards this morning. The testing site is less than five miles from my apartment, so I offered him my living room floor for the night. I’m a good sister like that. πŸ˜‰

Since one brother was in town, the other brother decided to drive over for dinner. I was one lucky girl. πŸ™‚

PIzza is brain food, right?

The four of us headed to Mellow Mushroom to watch the beginning of the FSU and UF games (Go Noles!) and chow down on some of their delicious pies.

We split a large Philosopher’s Pie: Steak, Portobello Mushrooms, Artichoke Hearts, Kalamata Olives, Provolone, Feta, and Mozzarella Cheeses on an Oil and Garlic Base.

Good thing both Derek and I ate a slice of this pizza because two garlic breaths cancel each other out right? πŸ˜‰ It was a great pizza, but very strong. I wouldn’t recommend on a first date.

We also had a small Mega Veggie: Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Spinach, Green Peppers, Mushrooms, Onions, Black Olives, Roma Tomatoes, Broccoli, Feta, Banana Peppers, Artichoke Hearts, and Tempeh (instead of tofu)

Mellow Mushroom as the best Tempeh! I always order it in lieu of the tofu. It brings the pizza up a notch.

We all saved room for Dessert a Menchies!

I created a mix of Praline and Pumpkin Cheesecake with chocolate chips, reeses, and a cinnamon pretzel.

πŸ™‚

I was up at the crack of dawn for my 18 mile run this morning. A slice of toast with peanut butter and pumpkin butter and I was out the door.

Everything about this run was perfect. My legs felt great, the weather was awesome, and my pace was right on track for where I wanted to be. I’m not sure what it is (weather? training?), but all of my longer runs this time around have felt amazing compared to all my long runs in the dreaded heat for Chicago earlier this fall.

Check out my splits:

• Mile 12: 8:53
  • Mile 13: 8:55
  • Mile 14: 9:09
  • Mile 15: 8:54
  • Mile 16: 9:01
  • Mile 17: 8:55
  • Mile 18: 8:33 <– Felt GREAT at the finish!
  • Total: 02:43:10
  • Avg pace: 9:04

I practiced the same technique I had use for my 5k yesterday, by starting off conservatively and aiming for negative splits towards the end. This will be my goal for my marathon in 3 weeks. Let’s just hope I don’t get too caught up in the crowds and take off like a bat out of hell some race day!

During the run I ate 3 honey stingers at mile 9, 13, and 16.

Post-run I made a gigantic bowl of oatmeal to refuel me up.

• 1/2 cup Rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup Water
  • 1/2 cup Milk
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 t Chia Seeds
  • 1 T Chocolate Protein Powder
  • 1/2 cup Pumpkin
  • Pumpkin Spice

Toppings:

• 1/4 Cranberry Muffin
  • Granola
  • Vanilla Almond Butter

The addition of the chocolate protein powder made it taste like chocolate pudding. πŸ™‚

18 miles DONE.

Time to rest.

Happy Sunday everyone!

1 movesnmunchies November 14, 2010 at 11:30 am

holy cow! 18 miles!!!! that must feel so great- the farthest I’ve ever done is 6….. you can go 3 times that, good for you!!
movesnmunchies recently posted..Banana Oats and Healthy Baking!

2 Melissa @ TryingToHeal November 14, 2010 at 11:31 am

oh man! great job on that run! getting negative splits is never an easy task!!!!

you are gonna rock that mary in december! i can feel it in my blood!! wish i could be there as your cheerleader…as long as it’s not like 10*F. ouch freak’n ouch.
Melissa @ TryingToHeal recently posted..Foodbuzz’d Emotions

3 gina@conciergeformom November 14, 2010 at 11:33 am

Well done and looks delish! Your post run breakfast mix is very creative and is making me want to go run and make it!

4 Kelly November 14, 2010 at 11:34 am

Haha you are a lucky girl surrounded by men. Great 18 miler!
Kelly recently posted..One Week

5 katrina November 14, 2010 at 11:34 am

What Honey stinger is that?! I use the original gels because the honey is better for my blood sugar (diabetic). Are those hard candies or chews? The gels are hard to take while running.

Love your bowl of “e-mail” πŸ˜‰

6 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat November 14, 2010 at 11:40 am

First off, WOW–what a great run!! You are going to rock this marathon in a few weeks!!

And second, is there anything better than having pizza with your boys? Sounds like a fun night πŸ™‚
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..A Visit To Hell’s Kitchen On A Very Snowy Day

7 BIOCHEMISTA November 14, 2010 at 11:52 am

hahaha…I loved your tweet last night about tons of men in your living room! I guess when 2 of them are your relatives it’s not as exciting though πŸ™‚

Congrats on a fantastic 18-miler! You rocked that! Esp. the 18th miler!!!!!! WOOOO!!!!! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Lauren
BIOCHEMISTA recently posted..Healthified Mexican &amp margaritas and a klutz

8 Evan Thomas November 14, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Awesome job on the run!

9 Matt November 14, 2010 at 12:05 pm

I LOVE Mellow Mushroom! Must go there soon!
Matt recently posted..Black Bean and Pumpkin Quesadillas

10 Stefanie November 14, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Awesome run! I really want some froyo now, even if it is cold! πŸ˜‰
Stefanie recently posted..Cat lady

11 Nicole @bodybybeer November 14, 2010 at 12:13 pm

I had no idea that you had a twin brother. I can see it though! I have a twin sister, myself. πŸ™‚
Nicole @bodybybeer recently posted..Farmers Market

12 elise November 14, 2010 at 12:14 pm

hey meghann, i keep meaning to comment and say hi and tell you how great it was so meet you in person last weekend. i totally didnt recognize you and then when you said who you were it clicked why you looked familiar. so yeah, anyways, im glad to have gotten the chance to chat, but hopefully we will get more time at the next event?

well done on the run, too πŸ™‚

13 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life November 14, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Awesome run!! You finished so strong at the end! Congrats! With training like that you are going to ROCK your marathon!
Jillian @ Reshape Your Life recently posted..Pancakes For Breakfast

14 Cynthia November 14, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Great job on the 18 miler!! I hope I feel that good when my runs become longer in my training! Well done πŸ™‚
Cynthia recently posted..Training Day 6 – Yoga

15 grocery goddess jen November 14, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Damn! Your training sure has paid off.
grocery goddess jen recently posted..Pictures of Things You Probably Don’t Care About

16 Biz November 14, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Great job on the run Meghann! I am still in my pajamas πŸ˜€
Biz recently posted..Pumpkin Scones with Spicy Glaze

17 Kristy @ KristyRuns November 14, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Congrats on the AWESOME 18 miler! Can I please have some of your speed? πŸ™‚

I love Mellow Mushroom’s mega veggie! I always get mine veganized: no butter on crust, no cheese, tempeh instead of tofu, and add avocado. They are always so accommodating, and it’s delish!

18 Elizabeth November 14, 2010 at 1:13 pm

18 miles sounds impossibly hard to me, but you rocked it out! Hopefully one day I’ll be able to do that.
Elizabeth recently posted..Art in the Park

19 Silvina November 14, 2010 at 1:17 pm

I watched the FSU/Clemson game, that was a great win! GO NOLES!

20 RoSi November 14, 2010 at 1:56 pm

i cant remember anything that was written after i saw those pizzas..they look hella good! lol

21 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) November 14, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Well done on the great 18 miler! πŸ˜€ Fast one, with negative splits, and still felt good afterwards! Wow, I’m in awe! πŸ™‚
Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) recently posted..Oh the breakfast dilemma!

22 Claire (Low Impact Fashionista) November 14, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Cute that you got to hang out with your brothers! I think I might call mine for an emergency pizza date πŸ™‚

23 Stacey November 14, 2010 at 3:16 pm

That oatmeal looks delicious! Congrats on finding a running technique that works for you.
Stacey recently posted..Brian Boesch Demo

24 Sana November 14, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Hahahah! You are like me, I would rather spend more time with boys then women! They are more fun!
Sana recently posted..Yesterday and Today

25 Lisa (bakebikeblog) November 14, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Wow – congrats on one AWESOME long run!!!!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..8 reasons I love weekends…

26 Heather November 14, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Good job on the run, but that isn’t that gigantic of a bowl of oatmeal!

27 Liz @ LBBakes November 14, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Those are some awesome splits, girl! I think someone has a sub-4:00 in them. πŸ˜‰
Liz @ LBBakes recently posted..Marathon Cookies

28 Kim @ Kim Lives Healthy November 14, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Another marathon? Do you have a rest season like for Christmas, or do you schedule time off in between big races, or just keep going if you’re feeling good?
Kim @ Kim Lives Healthy recently posted..California-Style Dinner for One

29 Sarah November 14, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Great job on the run! I was on a 16 miler this a.m. and was at 14.7 and fell….3 hours later I’m with three stitches and sidelined for 14 days πŸ™ . No long runs for me for awhile. I’ll be cheering on your marathon training for the next two weeks Meg!

30 Ash Bear November 14, 2010 at 5:04 pm

I miss Mellow Mushroom soo much! I never appreciated its goodness until I moved north. I think that will definitely make a blog appearance when I’m home for the holidays. πŸ™‚
Ash Bear recently posted..Nice Little Saturday

31 Amy November 14, 2010 at 5:33 pm

I just have to say that you amaze me. To see that you can just crank out an 18 mile run like that is amazing. You are absolutely my running idol. πŸ™‚ Great job!!

32 Amy at The Scene From Me November 14, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Wow, great run! That’s an accomplishment for sure!
And your oatmeal looks delish! Where can I buy rolled oats? They aren’t the Quaker ones that sell at Walmart are they?
Amy at The Scene From Me recently posted..Chocolate coconut bread pudding

33 Lew November 15, 2010 at 9:50 am

Philosopher’s Pie is my favorite we always get temph instead of steak on it with a side of pesto amazing. Congratulations on the fast 18
Lew recently posted..Weekend Recap

34 amyt November 15, 2010 at 3:30 pm

I ate at the Mellow Mushroom in Tally last weekend – we went to the FSU – NC game …. such a sad ending πŸ™ they made up for it this week though!!! I love the MM – my first time going…had a blast!

35 Lacey @ Lake Life November 15, 2010 at 8:00 pm

That veggie pizza looks so good!

I can’t believe your bro slept on the floor before taking his test!
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..Anti-Monkey Butt &amp Chicken Poop