2010 Orlando Food & Wine Festival

by Meghann on November 14, 2010

Do you know what makes for a nice relaxing Sunday lunch?

A Food and Wine Festival, that’s what. ;)

I attended last year’s festival with a couple of close friends and had a blast, but due to my insane schedule the past couple of months this year’s festival had kind of slipped through my fingers. My plan was to keep this weekend as open as possible and that meant so hard schedule and no ‘we have to go to this or I will die’ situations.

However, when Derek had suggested we head over to downtown and eat our way through the festival for lunch I couldn’t say no. I loved our casual approach to the festival and need to take this cue for future fun events that come my way. ;)

The Orlando Food & Wine Festival was set up very similar to last year’s. You bought a ticket to get in the door and then purchase additional tickets once inside to hand over for the bites.

We purchased $30 worth and it was more than enough, we probably could have gotten away with $20 or so.

Representatives from a few dozen restaurants from Orlando area lined Robinson Street in Downtown Orlando. Truth be told I was a a little disappointed with this year’s selection. There weren’t as many small Mom & Pop places, instead there were big chains and a lot of hotel restaurants from the touristy area of Orlando I rarely travel to.

IMG_6999.JPG IMG_7035.JPG

We did manage to find few hidden gems in the sea of chaos. ;)

Primo’s ‘Build Your Own Piada’ in particular caught my eye.

They had an amazing looking spread where you could pick and choose your personal piada.

Meat: Pork Belly Cheese: Goat Feta Spread: Basil Pesto Toppings: Caponata, Onions, Mushrooms

We were fans!

The Meatball Hoagie caught our eyes next.

IMG_7025.JPGIMG_7021.JPG IMG_7022.JPG

I knew from their twitter feed that Jeremiah’s would be in attendance today. I’m not going to lie; I raced down the strip of food tents in search of Jeremiah’s almost as soon as we arrived. ;)

Eureka! I was secretly wishing they would have their seasonal Pumpkin Pie flavor for purchase.

They did! They did!

IMG_7044.JPG IMG_7045.JPG

A-MA-ZING

Derek doesn’t like pumpkin pie ( I know, can you believe it?), so he enjoyed a strawberry ice.

IMG_7051.jpg

That’s ok, I didn’t want to share my pumpkin anyways. ;)

Irish Nachos from the Tilted Kilt

We killed them.

Cannoli from Stefano’s

(Getting full at this point)

Gumbo

And you’ll never guess where we ended the event at…

It was so good! A second serving was a must!

Besides Pumpkin Pie is seasonal, I need to make sure I enjoy every last bite while I can!

Overall Derek and I had a great time at the festival, but we both felt it wasn’t worth the $$ for the event. We shelled out $15 each to get in and then $30 for the food tickets, so our ‘lunch’ was $60. Also, this year’s event was not vegetarian friendly and it seemed to be lacking on vendors and variety. It was a lot of meat and bread items and I felt there was only so much of that I could take. I was really craving veggies towards the end, which could explain the double dip in the ‘pumpkin’ ice. ;)

We continued to walk around for a bit, but left an hour and a half after arrival. I was stuffed and really wanted to check out some houses for rent in a nearby neighborhood. I found a lot of houses I loved, but none that were up for rent. Still, it’s exciting to even be looking! Like a new game or something.

I had a late dinner of leftover Butternut Squash Quinoa Salad with Arugula and a Honeycrisp Apple.

With a BBQ sauce ‘dressing’

Looks odd… tasted great! :)

I’m working on some fun posts for this upcoming week that I hope you’ll enjoy!

Until then you should check out my iWearYourShirt video and leave a comment. You know.. if you have the time. ;)

1 Kristy @ KristyRuns November 14, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Oh, wow. The pumpkin pie Italian ice sounds soooo good right now! Looks like y’all had a great time, but, dang, that sure was an expensive lunch! :)
Kristy @ KristyRuns recently posted..Two Marathons in Two Weeks

2 Jenny November 14, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Aaand now I’m craving pumpkin pie, haha. Yum!
Jenny recently posted..Frugal Friday- Frozen Foods

3 Stacey November 14, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Wow…that all looks simply delicious! I think I’m gonna have to try that pumpkin pie Italian ice before the season is up!
Stacey recently posted..Brian Boesch Demo

4 Amanda (Eating Up) November 14, 2010 at 9:59 pm

That food all looks delicious! What a fun(full-ha!) day!
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..Chili and Cornbread

5 Allie November 14, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Looks like you guys had fun at the fest .. I agree about taking a relaxed approach and not planning out a whole stressful day :)
Allie recently posted..Cookie Monster

6 Matt November 14, 2010 at 10:16 pm

A foodies dream! I wish we had stuff like that out here!
Matt recently posted..Black Bean and Pumpkin Quesadillas

7 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat November 14, 2010 at 10:29 pm

I always hate how those food and wine festivals charge you up the wazoo. But, everything does look good!
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..Ran Over By A Truck

8 Halley (Blunder Construction) November 14, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Totally jealous of the outdoor fare & frozen desserts. It’s way too cold here for any of that. We do have some interesting festivals in the summertime, my favorite is the Scooperbowl (ice cream bonanza!)
Halley (Blunder Construction) recently posted..Better with Bacon

9 Shanna, like Banana November 14, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Oh heaven help me..I so want to try that pumpkin deliciousness! Lucky girl! And that day actually seems like a steal compared to what you’d get at a similar event in Cali!
Shanna, like Banana recently posted..Shanna Likes Banana Bread

10 Lisa (bakebikeblog) November 14, 2010 at 11:04 pm

Sorry to hear that it was a little meat / bread heavy! Such a shame :(
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..8 reasons I love weekends…

11 Sana November 14, 2010 at 11:39 pm

I feel weird going to food festivals because they are usually places I would never go to eat. But it’s always nice to try!
Sana recently posted..Yesterday and Today

12 Krystina November 14, 2010 at 11:43 pm

I’m surprised by the spread. There’s so many great restaurants in Orlando that don’t seem represented at the festival – lame!
Krystina recently posted..Smoky Squash

13 Angela R. November 15, 2010 at 12:21 am

Yes it does seem like the entry price is steep for what you get, but it all looked delicious. MMM Pumpkin Pie ice!

14 ida November 15, 2010 at 12:43 am

No wine?! I would have filled up on the ice cream too. I think festivals should either have one cover that is all-you-can-eat or charge for tickets, not a combo.

15 RJ November 15, 2010 at 5:29 am

Irish nachos from the Tilted Kilt? How confused is that?!! From a Scottish girl…with an Irish surname.. who really likes nachos…

16 Lauren November 15, 2010 at 6:47 am

I have not been to one single food and wine fest in my life but I’m so happy to live vicariously through you. Gosh, I feel like I’ve been to 10000 of them with you! :) Sounds amazing!
Lauren recently posted..Trails and Tacos

17 Hope November 15, 2010 at 8:24 am

That Food and Wine Festival looks great! I love going to events like that where you can taste a bunch of different foods! :)
Hope recently posted..The Excitement of Atlantic City…Among Other Things…

18 kathleen November 15, 2010 at 10:19 am

Yeah, that’s a lot of money to spend on food you aren’t that excited about. Also, where was the wine?
kathleen recently posted..Raw vegan mint chocolate chip cookies

19 Meghann November 15, 2010 at 10:21 am

They had wine, but each glass was 3 tickets or $6. It just didn’t seem worth it at the time.

20 Clare @ Fitting It All In November 15, 2010 at 5:13 pm

I don’t understand why so many guys don’t like Pumpkin Pie. They are CRAZY.
Glad you went for round 2!
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..Surprise on a Surprise

21 Melissa @ TryingToHeal November 15, 2010 at 5:41 pm

right there with ya derek; i don’t like pumpkin pie either. yuck!
Melissa @ TryingToHeal recently posted..Foodbuzz’d Emotions

22 Katie November 17, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Gah, my hubby keeps telling me about Jeremiah’s from when he lived in Orlando. Seeing your photos of it is making me DROOL. I want some, especially the pumpkin flavor – it looks INTENSE!
Katie recently posted..Lovely Tonight- Trolley Time!