Saturn 5k

by Meghann on November 13, 2010

Meghann’s Lesson of the Day: Controlling your speed in the beginning of a race equals a stronger and faster finish. FACT.

Who knew?

Oh wait, I DID know. At least my brain knew, my legs were a whole other story. After years of burning out early in races, I decided enough was enough. My first mile always rocks, but feeling like I was going to die at the end of it was not a way to run a race nor was the +1 splits I had been experiencing.

Today was the day I was going to run a race the ‘proper way’ by controlling my speed through out and NOT giving it my all right off the bat. Today was the day I was not going to worry about my finish time and instead worry about how I felt. Today was the day I was going to finish strong!

And you know what? I did it all!

Derek and I were up super early this morning to make the 45 minute drive to the space center. I had a Cookie Dough Cookie (cookies make the best pre-race fuel ;) ), a couple of dried peaches, and grabbed a large mug of tea for the road.

We met my little brother half way and the three of us drove arrived at the space center in plenty of time to pick up our packets and take a look around.

This was the inaugural run for the Saturn 5k and it had a relatively small turn out of about 200 or so runners. This is typical for races in that area and considering how far of a drive the space center is from anything, I thought that was a pretty good turn out.

IMG_3656.JPG IMG_3657.JPG

The gun went off just after 7:40 and thanks to the small crowds, I had no problem instantly getting into my groove.

I decided early on I would not be going all out for this race. I have a history of starting out too fast and burning out before the half way point. My goal was to practice keeping a consistent pace and enjoy the run. I fell into what I considered a comfortable pace at 7:30 and stuck at it for 3.1 miles.

The course itself was a bit of a yawn. It basically zig zagged around the visitor complex parking lot for 2.5 of the 3.1 miles. There was no fan support and without my headphones I’m pretty sure I would had been bored out of my mind. I just zoned into my music and concentrated on the race.

Just past the halfway mark I realized my goal of staying consistent was paying off. My body felt great, I still had plenty of energy to make it to the finish, and mentally I was still there. Sure my competitive edge had kicked in when people were passing me in the beginning, but as they started to slow and I remained consistent, I knew I had made the smarter decision.

In the last half mile of the race we left the parking lot and were actually able to run through the park part of the visitor’s complex. Running through the rocket garden was pretty cool, but way too short.

When I reached the 3rd mile marker I checked my Garmin and realized I was in the 22 minute range. Holy crap? So this keeping consistent thing really does pay off!

I gunned the last .1 mile and clocked a time of 23:39!

I finished just 21 seconds shy of my 5k PR (23:18) and felt like I still had more to give. I know if I had pushed it a tad harder in the last half mile that I could have easily PRed no problem.

Woop! Woop!

Statistics!

• Mile 1: 7:14
  • Mile 2: 7:37
  • Mile 3: 7:49
  • .1 nubbin: 00:59 (pace 7:09)

Total: 23:39

Avg Pace: 7:32

IMG_3660.jpg

I wasn’t the only one that had a great race either!

Ben came in just before 25:00 minutes ( a full minute PR)

IMG_3667.JPG IMG_3668.jpg

And Derek came just shy of 27:00 Also, a full minute PR!)

We’re waiting for official results. I’ll update the times when they come in. ;)

IMG_3674.JPG IMG_3675.JPG

We all headed to Cracker Barrel for a post-race celebratory breakfast.

I ordered the Wholesome Morning Sampler that included Yogurt, Pineapple, Granola, and a Cranberry Muffin.

And a side of eggs and bacon.

I polished everything off minus 3/4 of the muffin. (It was huge and will make an excellent breakfast addition tomorrow morning).

Nothing like starting a weekend off right with a killer race! :)

The rest of this weekend will be a breeze. Right? ;)

1 Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete November 13, 2010 at 11:25 am

Great job on the race!! I had to learn the hard way too when I started out with too much at the beginning of a race!

I would love to do a 5K in Florida! The weather looks so nice over there this morning!!
Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete recently posted..First Time with TRX

2 movesnmunchies November 13, 2010 at 11:28 am

You are super fast!! I wish I could run as fast as you- looks like a great day and a perfect refueling meal!
movesnmunchies recently posted..Banana Oats and Healthy Baking!

3 Thetreadmilldiaries November 13, 2010 at 11:28 am

Great 5k run and what a cool place to do it.
Thetreadmilldiaries recently posted..TGIF’s Product Picks

4 sarah (the SHU box) November 13, 2010 at 11:29 am

yeah!!! marathon/half training can do wonders for 5K times – that was definitely my experience as well! awesome job. and also, your brother has like a 12-pack! i think he’s probably pretty aware, though :)
sarah (the SHU box) recently posted..thankful again

5 Nicci November 13, 2010 at 11:41 am

Great race girl, everyone did awesome!!
Nicci recently posted..Creamy Curry Crock Pot Chicken over Rice

6 Wendy W November 13, 2010 at 11:42 am

I saw you there at the satrt this morning! I looked for you after the race to say hello, but I didn’t see you. Great job!

7 Melissa November 13, 2010 at 11:51 am

You’re my kind of girl . . . bacon! Great job on the 5k! Don’t know if you have ever visited “Running Zone” http://www.runningzone.com/ My Aunt is from Melbourne, FL and she works at this amazing little running store. Anyways, they sponsor a lot of 5ks, 10ks, and help out with the Space Coast Marathon. Thought it might be another fun race resource for ya :)
Melissa recently posted..Instant Motivation

8 Haleigh November 13, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Congrats! Great job on the 5k :)
Haleigh recently posted..Fall Shenanigans

9 Katy (The Singing Runner) November 13, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Great race! :)

I’m also extremely jealous that you got to run in the rocket garden! The KSC is one of my favorite places to go! :)

10 Alison November 13, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Good run! I was planning on doing a 5K this morning, but then I woke up and there were 6 inches of snow on the ground. :-(

11 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life November 13, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Holy cow! Snow already?!!?
Jillian @ Reshape Your Life recently posted..Pancakes For Breakfast

12 Jennifer Demartini November 13, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Great job on the race! You look like a badass in your marathon shirt!

13 alison November 13, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Wow, congratulations on a great race! You’re a speedy girl.
Kudos to Ben and Derek as well!
alison recently posted..She Who Hesitates

14 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day November 13, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Good for you! What an excellent time!

I run my second 5K tomorrow and I’m going to remember what you said here – take it slow and steady at the beginning and give it your all at the end.

15 Semisweet Courtney November 13, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Congrats on your great race and great pace!

(whoa that rhymed :) )
Semisweet Courtney recently posted..Quick Peppermint Patty Brownies

16 Beth (kitchenminions) November 13, 2010 at 12:52 pm

That sounds like such a boring race course! But I guess security wise it is too hard to have people running through the actual space center…Congrats on the time!
Beth (kitchenminions) recently posted..macaron or macaroon

17 Elizabeth November 13, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Congrats on another great race!

Where is your running skirt from? It’s adorable!

18 Anna November 13, 2010 at 2:01 pm

You are smokin’ fast! Great race report. I’ll have to remember your race advice when I race next, I ALWAYS go out too fast!

19 Sarah @ EatRunGarden November 13, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Way to go on your race. Also I like how you and your brother matched, red shirt and black bottoms (well before the race).
Sarah @ EatRunGarden recently posted..I miss the sun

20 RunningOnCoffee November 13, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Congrats on another great race!!
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..5 mi Speedwork Run

21 Rachel November 13, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Congratulations on your fun and fast run!
Rachel recently posted..Chewy granola bars

22 Gracie November 13, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Girl, you are crazy fast!! Way to go :D

23 Halley (Blunder Construction) November 13, 2010 at 3:24 pm

That rocket garden is super cool! I would have had to stop and take a closer look. Also, that muffin looks like it could be half the size of your head. I hope it was.
Halley (Blunder Construction) recently posted..Better with Bacon

24 Jill@MyAdviceQuarterLife November 13, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Good call on the Cracker Barrel after the race. They make a MEAN muffin!! And they are totally huge, and excellent leftover (although they typically don’t end up lasting the entire day at my place).

Congrats on the race.

25 kathleen November 13, 2010 at 5:08 pm

congratulations on your PR! Do you think it being a smaller race had anything to do with you not feeling as if you had to race to the front in order to feel as though you could get into a grove? In large races, maybe it’s just me, I tend to want to get around people in order to get some elbow room.
kathleen recently posted..How I reduced our food bill – Part 3

26 Allie November 13, 2010 at 5:15 pm

It IS so true that you do better when you pace yourself! :) Good job on getting 2nd in your age group (I saw your tweet). Your brother is TOO funny, never wearing shirt!! You are sooo lucky you went to cracker barrel, I love it there… it’s so home-y !

27 Laura November 13, 2010 at 5:17 pm

I want that skirt!!!! It’s so cute! Athletic AND adorable – what a great combo. Where’s it from??

28 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep November 13, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Congrats on a great race! Cute outfit too! Where did you get that skirt??

Congrats to Ben and Derek too!

29 Miranda @ MirandasJeans November 13, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Nice run. Love the chest bump!
Miranda @ MirandasJeans recently posted..25 Foods To Buy Organically

30 Carolyn @ lovinlosing November 13, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Congrats!! I can’t ever imagine running a 7:30 mile. I think I’d puke! ;)
Carolyn @ lovinlosing recently posted..Foodbuzz Gala Dinner

31 Faith @ lovelyascharged November 13, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Congrats to the three of you!!!
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..Girl on a mission

32 Melissa @ TryingToHeal November 13, 2010 at 9:33 pm

good job w/ the race! haven’t i been telling you forever not to start off fast! glad you see how much a great race it can make!!!
Melissa @ TryingToHeal recently posted..Foodbuzz’d Emotions

33 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat November 13, 2010 at 11:24 pm

Wow, what a great race! It’s amusing how your brother seems to NEVER have a shirt on after a race :)

Also, cute running skirt! Where’d you get it?!
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..A Visit To Hell’s Kitchen On A Very Snowy Day

34 Nicole @bodybybeer November 14, 2010 at 1:16 am

Congrats! 34 days until my first 5k, I’m hoping someday it will feel effortless. :)
Nicole @bodybybeer recently posted..Farmers Market

35 Sana November 14, 2010 at 1:26 am

You are so speedy! I love that Ben and Derek love to race with you!
Sana recently posted..Yesterday and Today

36 Alice November 14, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Jesus. Your broskie is JACKED.
Alice recently posted..Goodbye running