Registering for a Race

by Meghann on November 10, 2010

It all started with this…

race1

Ben calls Derek

Derek calls Me [I have him trained well]

And ends with this…

race2

Ha! Obviously it doesn’t take Derek and I much convincing to sign up for a race. 😉

This Saturday we’ll be running the Saturn 5k at the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex.

race3

If anything it’ll be fun to say that I ran a 5k at the Space Center. Just as it’s fun to say my junior prom was at the Space Center. (Haven’t I mentioned that on here before? 😉 ) Or that I went to ASTRONAUT High School or APOLLO Elementary School.

Yeah… I’m from the Space Coast… can’t you tell?

It’s been three weeks since my last race. I’m jonsing for another one. 😉

I know I’ve been raving about the Frog Hollow Pears on here, but I need to give a special shout out to their Dried Peaches (and granola that I’ve yet to sample).

IMG_6645

The peaches were a nice addition to the swag I walked away with from the Taste Pavilion on Saturday. (confession: I walked away with two bags of Frog Hollow Swag. I’m sneaky like that.)

IMG_6647

The dried peaches paired nicely with a spoonful of peanut butter for my morning snack. Sometimes dried fruit can resemble tough leather, but these peaches resembled no such thing. They were unsweet, soft, and perfectly chewy.

I got a little creative with my left over kabocha squash for lunch.

IMG_6648

It’s my take on a Potato Salad. (sans the mayo dressing and potato)

IMG_6651

• Left over kabocha squash
  • Pear
  • Pecans
  • Mushrooms
  • Raisins
  • Kale
  • Blue Cheese
  • Peanut Butter ‘sauce’ (PB Flour mixed with milk)

Toss well and coat everything evenly. Enjoy.

IMG_6653

It has to be said: nut butter and kaboca are a match made in heaven. So good. So good.

IMG_6652

I just got out of a meeting and had an Alliebar. 🙂

IMG_6669

Now, it’s time to get back to work.

But, first….

meghanntwitter

I realized today I haven’t changed my twitter photo since I began tweeting a year and a half ago. I loved my old photo, but it was time for a change. Plus, that’s what I looked like a year and a half ago, not what I look like today.

meghanntwitter2

Much better. Longer & Darker hair = Me!

I change my Facebook photo every other day (I know, I have a problem), but my twitter photo is something that goes unnoticed. After meeting so many fabulous bloggers and tweeters at the Foodbuzz Festival this past weekend I realized it’s just as important to update out twitter photos. Mainly because a lot of these people I’ve grown to follow and love over twitter look nothing like their photos, so it took me a minute to recognize them in person.

A word of advice: change your twitter photo often and make sure it looks like you as close as possible. This way people know who to look out for in a crowd. Unless, you’re trying to be anonymous  then no worries.

Check out Katy’s Allow Myself to Introduce Myself post some great social media networking advice! (such as making sure you keep that photo updated!) 😉

1 Kacy November 10, 2010 at 4:15 pm

That does sound like a cool race! And so cool that you grew up around so much space stuff 🙂
Kacy recently posted..The infamous “list”

2 Jessica @ The Process of Healing November 10, 2010 at 4:15 pm

LOVE the new picture! I havent changed mine in ages either..
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Picture- Picture

3 kate November 10, 2010 at 4:17 pm

A space inspired 5k sounds like a blast!
kate recently posted..Orchard Fresh

4 Allie November 10, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Good luck for your race on Saturday-sounds like fun! I’ve never been to the space center but it is too funny that you went to Astronaut High and Apollo Middle school. All my schools were mostly named after presidents… my first high school was named after a fruit: Plum. LOL.
Allie recently posted..Cozy Night

5 Becca November 10, 2010 at 4:21 pm

All your running and races is motivating my sorry butt to really train for my 5k!
Becca recently posted..Exposing Myself

6 Anna @ History Running Girl November 10, 2010 at 4:22 pm

I need more close up pictures for Twitter. I have a hard time finding one that is big enough and of my face.
Anna @ History Running Girl recently posted..Sunday and Monday in St Louis

7 Derek November 10, 2010 at 4:24 pm

I’m going to need edit access for your blog….pronto.

8 Heather November 10, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Dang girl you have a lot of self-esteem!!

9 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 10, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Everyone is talking about the Frog Hollow goodies – I neeeeed to get myself some of these! Love the new profile pic btw!! 🙂
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Blogger Meetup x2

10 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat November 10, 2010 at 5:01 pm

The new profile pic is awesome, and I can’t wait to read your 5K recap this weekend!
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..Thanksgiving Dinner–2 Weeks Early!

11 Hope November 10, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Love the new twitter pic – its gorgeous!
Loving how much you love runnin!

12 Lisa (bakebikeblog) November 10, 2010 at 5:18 pm

yay for more races!!!!

13 Val @ Balancing Val November 10, 2010 at 5:38 pm

I should probably change my TwitPic too! I just put it on in a hurry and things change!!

Thanks for the reminder 🙂
Val @ Balancing Val recently posted..You Got Hips!

14 Matt November 10, 2010 at 6:00 pm

LOL I just changed my twitter pic to my feet. Does that count?
Matt recently posted..Black Bean Pumpkin Burgers

15 RunningOnCoffee November 10, 2010 at 6:04 pm

My in-laws are half an hour south of the Kennedy Space stuff! Enjoy your 5k.
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Goodies from Trader Joes and my first Group Run!

16 hippierunner November 10, 2010 at 6:19 pm

That’s a funny and cool name for a high school lol.
hippierunner recently posted..A Little More About Me

17 Jennie November 10, 2010 at 6:24 pm

How fun! I just moved to the Space Coast in June (hubs is in the military and we’re stationed at Patrick.) If I hadn’t done the Women’s Half marathon in Phoenix with my sister I would have done the Space Coast Half! Sounds like so much fun!

18 Kelly November 10, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Sounds like a really cool race, you’re lucky there are so many around you in FL!
Kelly recently posted..Professional Wedding Guest

19 Molly November 10, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Cute photo! I really need to learn to do that more often.
Molly recently posted..Easy come…easy go

20 Lacey @ Lake Life November 10, 2010 at 7:49 pm

You must have Derek trained VERY well to be gutsy enough to post that on your blog!
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..Anti-Monkey Butt &amp Chicken Poop

21 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) November 10, 2010 at 8:06 pm

I so wish I could race year-round! I am very jealous!
Michelle (The Runner’s Plate) recently posted..Stressors

22 Jessica@tastyandtrim November 10, 2010 at 8:29 pm

A race at the space center sounds so fun! I wish I could sign up for races on a whim like that. Maybe with a little more training 🙂 I love your hair in your new picture – you are so pretty!
Jessica@tastyandtrim recently posted..La Festa di Pizza

23 Amy November 10, 2010 at 8:59 pm

That sounds so fun! I have my first 10k in a month and I can’t wait.
Amy recently posted..exactly right

24 Vanessa November 10, 2010 at 9:22 pm

I wish I knew what these Frog Hollow things tasted like!! I keep hearing everyone rave about them!! Good luck on the race!

25 Elizabeth November 10, 2010 at 9:23 pm

That race sounds so unique and I’m sure you’ll have lots of fun. You got me hooked on racing, but my next one isn’t until Thanksgiving Day Turley Trot. Good luck!

26 Semisweet Courtney November 10, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Wow, that race sounds like a lot of fun! 🙂
Semisweet Courtney recently posted..OMG NEW BLOG!

27 Sarah November 12, 2010 at 11:55 am

How many races do you like to run a year or do you just kind of go with whatever comes up? Good luck.
Sarah recently posted..I Wish We Could Drop Out of School

28 Elise November 18, 2010 at 11:36 pm

you went to astronaut high school?! when i was in college we played there on our orchestra tour! because one of our violists went there — know the last name bockstege?!

small world 🙂
Elise recently posted..Dinner with Friends!