Pretty Nails

by Meghann on November 8, 2010

Maddie hasn’t left my side all day.

It feels good to be missed. πŸ™‚

πŸ™‚

You like?

I tried one of the walk in nail places within walking distance of my apartment and could not believe how great of a job they did. Plus, they were cheap! Only $12 for this gorgeous manicure!

I need to treat myself to manicures more often. I think my hands – and blog readers – will thank me profusely. πŸ™‚

While I was there I also had my toes done.

I know my marathon is now less than a month away and I should be saying no, but I couldn’t help it. Look how pretty they are!

Speaking of feet… I’m also happy to report I was able to order a new pair of running shoes online this afternoon. After pulling my worn out, stinky, still wet running shoes from my suit case, I knew I couldn’t hold off getting a new pair any longer. They should be here Thursday. Having them in 4 weeks before my marathon will give me just enough time to break them in. πŸ™‚

Dinner tonight was very HEABified.

Kabocha Squashes were on sale at Whole Foods the other week and the minute I saw it I knew I had to try this sweet and savory combination that’s featured on Heather’s blog so often. I started by roasting the kabocha with a sprinkle of cinnamon. While that was roasting I sauteed onion, kale, and raisins in one pot and made a ‘Abu’ sauce of almond butter, milk, and PB flour in another.

I know, I know this looks funny, but everything worked amazingly well together. The kabocha is naturally much sweeter than butternut or sweet potato and tasted almost like straight pumpkin pie that has already been sweetened and baked. The sweet kale, raisins, and nut butter sauce was a perfect complement to it.

For dessert I had one of the frog cookies Beth had sent Sabrina and I hope with yesterday.

Ribbit. Ribbit.

I forget where she said the cookie was from, but I found it to be quite tasty. The cookie was crumbly, but not too soft. The icing was a thin layer of ideal sweetness. And it was too cute to boot.

Thanks Beth! πŸ˜‰

I never had a nap today because I wanted to make sure I would have no problems going to bed tonight. It’s 8:00 and I can barely keep my eyes open. Looks like my plan is working! πŸ˜‰

Good Night!

1 Sana November 8, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Omg me too! I am so pooped and I did nothing all weekend!
Sana recently posted..Jail Cell

2 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 8, 2010 at 8:12 pm

I love that squash!! I tried it for the first time a few months ago (as pancakes) and it was delicious. I wish I’d had time for a nap this afternoon too. Your nails look gorgeous – sometimes cheap manicures are the best ones!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Blogger Meetup x2

3 Hope November 8, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Cute nails!! That’s a total bargain!
Dinner looks great, but the froggie cookie looks even better!
Hope recently posted..Need a Distraction

4 Ali November 8, 2010 at 8:27 pm

I still haven’t invested in a pedicure since my marathon almost a month ago. My feet definitely need it though…this post may have convinced me to finally get one!
Ali recently posted..Treadmill Workout

5 Ash Bear November 8, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Your nails and toes look gorgeous! I chose a deep SoHo Burgundy OPI shade today! πŸ™‚ Enjoy your evening!

6 kathleen November 8, 2010 at 8:35 pm

You probably already knew this but if you stick wadded up newspaper in your running shoes they will be dried out by morning… weird but works.
kathleen recently posted..Can I get a redo on the day

7 Lauren November 8, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Definitely pretty! Glad you treated yourself and what a great manicure for only $12!!!

So I;ve been thinking of getting a tattoo on the top of my foot but my hubby tells me that is the most painful place you can get one. Be honest, how much did it hurt?
Lauren recently posted..Flavors of Fall

8 Liz @ Blog is the New Black November 8, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Pretty polish! Your nails look nice, very natural. πŸ™‚

9 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine November 8, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Ahhh your pedi makes me want one so badly!! My toes are super duper gnarly. Only 12 days until my half is over and I can pay someone to slough of my calluses and rub my feet…
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..So Long- San Francisco

10 Michele @ Healthy Cultivations November 8, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Nails look really nice. Manicures are fun sometimes.

11 Dori November 8, 2010 at 9:13 pm

I dislike you for being able to wear flip flops in November. Consider this friendship severed.
Dori recently posted..Rockin Models

12 Faith @ lovelyascharged November 8, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Pedicures are definitely a treat for me, but I’d love to do them more often! I make that pb sauce all the time and put it on ev-ah-ry-thing…it’s awesome on sweet potatoes so I can only imagine it rocking on the sqauash! Mmmm!

13 Jules November 8, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Hey I’ve been a silent reader for a while now and I just thought I’d say hi! Dont forget to watch Gossip Girl tonight! πŸ˜‰ hehe or at least record it.

14 Amanda (Eating Up) November 8, 2010 at 9:20 pm

That frog cookie is adorable! It sounds like you had a very relaxing first day back!
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..Save Up- Buy Wine in the Fall

15 Simply Life November 8, 2010 at 9:24 pm

I love the nail polish color!
Simply Life recently posted..Jira Rice and Chhole!

16 Tara November 8, 2010 at 9:25 pm

I am a cross country runner, and I have been wearing the same toe nail polish since august. That sounds gross, I know, but I got them done right before the season officially started and after that had no time to get them redone, but it has stayed since then! Its kind of crazy, I’ve broken more fingernails in this sport than toenails.

17 caronae November 8, 2010 at 10:00 pm

The cookie is so cute!! I am in love! And lol, I think you mean “kabocha squash”. Kombucha is the drink with bacteria in it. πŸ™‚

18 Stefanie November 8, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Your nails look so cute! It’s usually hit-or-miss with walk-in salons and you obviously lucked out with a hit! πŸ™‚
Stefanie recently posted..Ancient Grains Granola Giveaway –

19 Anna S. @ History Running Girl November 8, 2010 at 10:59 pm

I keep signing up for races so I keep putting off getting a pedicure. My feet are gross though! I should probably just suck it up and get one!
Anna S. @ History Running Girl recently posted..Race Recap- St Louis Half Marathon

20 Sarah for Real November 8, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Oh your nails look beautiful! You should post photos of your hands holding all your food now!
Sarah for Real recently posted..SeriouslyFreakyMonday

21 Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! November 8, 2010 at 11:45 pm

MMMM your dinner looks absolutely delicious! I love all types of squash and will have to see if my Whole Foods has any of those! Plus anything made with an almond butter sauce has to be amazing!!
Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! recently posted..Whole Wheat Oat Bread

22 Melissa @ TryingToHeal November 8, 2010 at 11:59 pm

miss you roomie!!!!

that cookie is so cute. i’m jealous. i would have framed it. maybe. ok i really would have. lol.
Melissa @ TryingToHeal recently posted..Taste Time!

23 Marina November 9, 2010 at 2:21 am

Dinner looks great.
I like your nails, I really should treat myself once with a manicure!

24 Kristen November 9, 2010 at 6:35 am

Pretty nails! Do your toes ever get bruised or blistered from all of your training???

25 Meghann November 9, 2010 at 8:24 am

I have really tough feet from never ever wearing shoes as a kid – or even as an adult for that matter. I’ve also been lucky with marathon training and my toe nails. Through 5 marathons I haven’t lost one yet. knock on wood

26 Cailin @ Stir Crazy November 9, 2010 at 7:25 am

Awww, I’m sure Maddie missed you tons! My 15-month-old son came over as I was looking at the pics of Maddie on the computer… as soon as he saw Maddie he pointed and started smiling and laughing, for at least a minute! It was too cute and I had to share! He loves dogs and is obsessed with our 12-year-old boxer πŸ™‚

You remind me that I desperately need a mani/pedi too! Yours looks so good. And I’m loving that dinner… must give that a try.
Cailin @ Stir Crazy recently posted..Ive Made the Decision- To Become Vegetarian or Not

27 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday November 9, 2010 at 8:28 am

$12! That’s a steal!
I’ve only had a manicure once before and I’m pretty sure it cost more than that. I’m not big on manicures and pedicures.
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..farm

28 Hope November 9, 2010 at 8:36 am

I love your nails! They are so pretty! $12 is a great price for a manicure!
Hope recently posted..Someday I’ll Wish Upon A Star…

29 Emily November 9, 2010 at 10:15 am

I’ve never heard of that squash, but it looks yum yummy! Whole Foods, here I come!!

30 Smash @ Appreciate The Now November 10, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Your nails and toes look great — love a good bargain! There’s a place here in Dallas that does a $25 spa mani & pedi — such a good deal!
Smash @ Appreciate The Now recently posted..Happiness Is

31 Mary@travelsizedliving November 11, 2010 at 8:52 pm

The frog cookies are from Whole Foods, they have them there often!! They are de-li-cious!

32 kath November 12, 2010 at 1:00 am

Your nails have never been prettier!!!!