It’s Been Fun San Francisco!

by Meghann on November 8, 2010

‘Twas a cold and rainy morning in San Francisco. Perfect morning for a 16 mile run, right? πŸ˜‰

IMG_3475.jpg

My Palm Beach Training Plan called for 16-18 miles today and – you know me – traveling isn’t an excuse not to run, it’s a reason to run. When I knew I would be running that far this weekend I recruited my favorite local running blogger, Aron, who I knew would be just crazy enough to join me.

At 6:00am we took off from my hotel lobby for a cold and rainy run.

I’m not a rain runner by any means, but it wasn’t that bad. Honestly if Aron hadn’t been waiting for me in the lobby I would have totally bailed. But, she was there and getting to run with my cross-continental friend was good excuse as any to get my butt out the door.

We spent the whole time chatting anyways, so the rain didn’t even phase me. Aron is one of my running idols (hello Boston Qualifier!!) the miles literally flew by.

The original plan was to run over the Golden Gate Bridge, but once we reached the gate we were told it was closed due to a half marathon running that morning. Booooo….

We were both sad to miss out on the experience together. So close yet so far.

We had actually been running the half marathon route the whole time and ran into the runners on our way back.

Go runners go!

It took us about 2 hours and 24 minutes finish the 16 miles. I was soaked to the bone when we returned and I’m pretty sure my soaking wet tennis shoes are stinking up my suit case right now, but it was worth it. Now I know in case it rains on race morning, that I can totally handle it. Don’t have to worry about a thing. πŸ˜‰

Before the run I ate a Clif Bar in the bathroom while trying not to wake my roommates. Afterwards I immediately dug into one of my Frog Hollow Pears before jumping into a nice warm shower.

After my shower and two (or three) cups of piping hot tea, it was time to head to the Farewell Brunch sponsored by Nature’s Pride.

The food was an assortment of classic breakfast favorites with a Nature’s Pride twist.

I had just run 16 miles and was looking to EAT. I filled my plate to the brim with a little bit of everything… and then ate the rest of Melissa’s french toast… and another plate full of fruit. πŸ˜‰

I loved how they had fresh figs on the fruit table and cinnamon stuffed french toast – both were favorites of mine. πŸ™‚

I loved having the chance to say good bye to my friends one last time before we all went our separate ways. I’ve made so many wonderful friends all over the country through Foodbuzz and blogging and I feel so lucky to have the opportunity to see them in person as often as I do. There was a lot of love this weekend. πŸ™‚

We went back to the hotel room and started packing. I never felt full at breakfast and about an hour and a half after eating I turned to Monica and told her I didn’t feel right. I felt shaky, moody, and light headed – all clear signs I did not eat enough after my run.

Monica was a trooper and walked with me to the restaurant below for a big bowl of Hot Oats.

I instantly felt a zillion times better once the oatmeal was in my belly. Full belly = Happy Meghann. πŸ™‚

Monica and I took our time packing and relaxing in the hotel room before we were officially kicked out at 1:00. Without much desire to do anything else, we headed to Chinatown for a little exploration.

What better way to complete the dull experience of Chinatown than with a little dim sum?

I’ve never really done the full Dim Sum experience before and was kind of confused when the carts of food kept stopping at our table. It was honestly a little overwelming trying to pick and choose what to eat and the cart ladies were a little pushy on making sure our table was filled at all times with food.

IMG_6474.JPG IMG_6476.JPG IMG_6477.JPG IMG_6478.jpg IMG_6479.JPG IMG_6480.JPG IMG_6482.JPG IMG_6483.JPG IMG_6484.JPG IMG_6486.JPG IMG_6489.JPG IMG_6491.JPG IMG_6492.JPG IMG_6496.JPG IMG_6498.JPG

The food was plentiful, but pretty expensive and not very good. I think I’ve pretty much given up on Chinese food, I’m just not a fan, and though it was fun to have the full sim sum experience, I’m not sure I’ll be participating again.

BUT, the company more than made up for the food.

Sabrina and her husband are probably one of the most outgoing, personable couples I’ve ever met. I had the pleasure of really getting to know them last January in Orlando and it was great to have the chance to sit down and hang out with them again. They are wise beyond their years and always have the best advice to give. Love you two! πŸ™‚

Do you want to know what the absolute highlight of my weekend was? Meeting this perfect little angel.

Oh, and hanging out with her Mom too.

When I stayed with Beth back in April, she had just announced she was expecting. It’s weird to think that in that 6 month time span from when I last saw her, she grew and produced this beautiful baby girl. Lucy Rose was everything a baby should be: gorgeous, calm, and light as a feather. I instantly wanted 10 of her right then and there. πŸ™‚

Sabrina came up with the grand plan of surprising the new Mom with some special treats from Tartine.

IMG_6513.JPG IMG_6515.JPG

Everything looked delicious, but we managed to narrow our selection to a few favorites.

IMG_6516.JPG IMG_6518.JPG IMG_6519.JPG

The four of us dug in while discussing breast feeding and strollers. It was amazing.

I could have held that baby forever, but eventually I had to give her back. Sadly my chest just doesn’t do it for her the way her Mom’s does.

The Grand Finale of the weekend occurred at Cafe Grattitude where I met a handful of bloggers for one final meal together before taking the red eye home.

I ordered the Tamale, but honestly wasn’t that hungry at the time and only ate half. Such a waste of delicious amazing food if you ask me.

I. Am. So. Tired.

Let’s hope this is a good thing and I’ll be able to sleep on the plane. Hopefully when I wake up I’ll be back on the east coast.

Have a good night!

1 Camels & Chocolate November 8, 2010 at 1:28 am

I ran the U.S. Half this day last year (without training–oops!), and the weather couldn’t have been more different. Perfectly sunny, crystal blue skies and about 75 blissful degrees. I normally don’t sweat much during the majority of my runs in SF, but that one, I was dripping!

Can’t believe you did such a long run in such terrible conditions. Kudos!
Camels & Chocolate recently posted..Photo Friday- Lake Kivu- Rwanda

2 Allie November 8, 2010 at 3:35 am

I’m not a huge fan of Chineese food either… But it’s still fun to try new things πŸ˜€ it sounds like you had such a great weekend!! Have a safe flight home!

3 Tab- Just Weighing In November 8, 2010 at 6:31 am

wow – I’m so impressed with your run in the rain, talk about dedication! And that baby is so sweet… πŸ™‚
Tab- Just Weighing In recently posted..Weekend Fun

4 Jen November 8, 2010 at 6:41 am

Great end to a great weekend! I’ve decided my reward if I make my weight loss goal is going to be going to Foodbuzz next year!!!

Jen
Jen recently posted..November Goals

5 Catspaw November 8, 2010 at 6:53 am

I was in that half marathon and guess what??

I totally saw you!! Truth!

I would have stopped to say hi except I was in the middle of the half marathon and I’m a total stranger, but it was very cool for me to see you running in the opposite direction in the middle of my race!
Catspaw recently posted..holy shit

6 Kristy @ KristyRuns November 8, 2010 at 7:23 am

Looks like an awesome and soggy run! I love running in the rain; it makes me feel like I’m 7 years old again. πŸ™‚

Glad you had a great weekend!

7 Alyssa November 8, 2010 at 7:25 am

Looks like you had a great trip! Nice job on the 16 miles in the rain – I’ll run in the rain but I have never gone that far. You are such a trooper! This makes me want to go to SF so much.

8 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun November 8, 2010 at 7:27 am

Seeing that precious little girl makes me so excited to greet my little man in just another couple of months. And I have to say…I bet she REALLY appreciated those treats you brought. Food always sounds good to a nursing mom. πŸ˜€
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..so much fun! &amp posting what i eat Q A

9 Hope November 8, 2010 at 7:29 am

Your weekend looks amazing! The food looks out of this world! I’ve never had dim sum before. It looks like something to experience at least once. πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..You and Me Baby- We’re Stuck Like Glue…

10 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine November 8, 2010 at 7:32 am

I was seriously impressed when you came downstairs yesterday and said you ran 16 miles…in the rain. Huge props for peeling yourself out of bed!!

I kept meaning to make it to Tartine but never did- hopefully it was as good as everyone says!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..So Long- San Francisco

11 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday November 8, 2010 at 8:25 am

That picture of you in Chinatown is awesome. You should add it to your blog header!
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..farm

12 Jenny November 8, 2010 at 8:25 am

Aw that’s too bad about Chinese food, I love me some DimSum!
Jenny recently posted..Whatever Wednesday- Running a 5K

13 Alina (Duty Free Foodie) November 8, 2010 at 8:56 am

Wow, you are a trooper re: 16 miles in the rain.

I don’t eat Chinese food (except chicken fried rice), but I really like exploring Chinatowns in other cities – they always have so much personality!

14 Lauren November 8, 2010 at 8:57 am

I ran in that half yesterday! It was wet and miserable, but amazing!

15 grocery goddess jen November 8, 2010 at 9:20 am

Looks like such a fun and wonderful day. I love meeting new babies πŸ™‚

16 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 8, 2010 at 9:23 am

Good for you for getting your run in. I’m definitely not a rainy-weather runner either but having someone waiting there for you definitely makes you more accountable. Not sure I would have been able to narrow down those dessert choices! Glad you had a great time in San Francisco πŸ™‚
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Blogger Meetup x2

17 Kiran November 8, 2010 at 9:37 am

Wow! 16th miler so close to Golden Gate?? Yikes!!! The scenery looks breath-taking πŸ™‚

I’ve never tasted tamale – but after looking at the photo, gimme some πŸ˜€
Kiran recently posted..Cucumber raita

18 Kasey November 8, 2010 at 10:16 am

I was running the half-marathon and I totally saw you running the other direction! I’ve been reading your blog for a few weeks and I thought I recognized you. I would have said hi but I was going up the big hill by the GG bridge. Glad you enjoyed our city!

19 Emily November 8, 2010 at 10:21 am

Nice long run! I’m totally jealous you got to run with Aron!

I’m with you- Chinese food is just not that awesome.
Emily recently posted..One of These Things is Not Like the Other

20 Camille @ La Bella Vita November 8, 2010 at 11:19 am

Congrats on your long run in the rain! I have yet to overcome my fear of running soaking wet.
Camille @ La Bella Vita recently posted..Sunday Funday

21 Jessica@tastyandtrim November 8, 2010 at 11:20 am

You are SUCH a trooper to run in the rain, especially 16 miles! I’m glad the oatmeal made you feel better – I hate that lightheaded feeling I get when I don’t eat enough after intense exercise. Oatmeal always makes me feel better no matter what the reason πŸ™‚ Have a safe flight!
Jessica@tastyandtrim recently posted..La Festa di Pizza

22 Runeatrepeat November 8, 2010 at 11:34 am

Just saw that picture from the gala dinner (where you’re on the outside) – hello, you look gorgeous! Oh and Bobbi has the best jumping action shot of you ever.
Runeatrepeat recently posted..Golden Gate Bridge Run

23 aron November 8, 2010 at 11:56 am

it was SO FUN getting to run with you again and made the rain so much more bearable πŸ™‚ seriously, the miles just flew by! hope you had a safe trip back and get to get some rest soon you busy girl.
aron recently posted..week 12

24 Lauren @ Running Examiner November 8, 2010 at 11:57 am

Mannn I am so impressed. I should be a veteran rain-runner (being that I’m from upstate NY), but I hate it. I once ran a 20 mile-training run on the treadmill to avoid running outside in the rain. In my defense, it was freezing rain, so the conditions outside were kind of hazardous. πŸ™‚

What an awesome trip! I hope you had a wonderful time.
Lauren @ Running Examiner recently posted..Use music to enhance your endurance

25 Jessica @ The Process of Healing November 8, 2010 at 12:18 pm

How fun!!! I would imagine SF must be one of the most amazing places to run (and eat!) in.
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..An Addiction

26 Katy (The Singing Runner) November 8, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Bummer about the bridge but it looks like you still had a great run! I ran over my first bridge this weekend (the Main Street Bridge in Jacksonville). It was DIFFICULT but very fulfilling. πŸ™‚

Looks like you have had an amazing trip! I love your pictures too! It makes me feel like I was (almost) there! πŸ™‚
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Successful Sunday

27 Kim @ Kim Lives Healthy November 8, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I lived near San Fran for over a year and never found Chinese food that I liked – I think they survive on tourists & not repeat business. A lot of the dim sum stuff freaked me out too, like chicken claws?!? I’d rather go to a Thai or Indian or Japanese restaurant πŸ™‚ Also haven’t had a lot of good Chinese in Orlando (unless you count Pei Wei lol)
Kim @ Kim Lives Healthy recently posted..Night Out at K Restaurant

28 Clare @ Fitting It All In November 8, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Ahh I have that same lightheaded feeling right now, but I have more work to do before lunch!! I’m still refueling from my half yesterday

29 Sarah November 8, 2010 at 1:20 pm

I’m all for rain but I don’t think I could run in it. I’m just starting out running and can’t even run a straight 2 miles yet, let alone 16….hopefully one day! I’m also really jealous of your trip to San Fran, that’s always been my dream city to live in.
Sarah recently posted..Zumba and my Flirting Habits

30 Sarah for Real November 8, 2010 at 1:21 pm

The only really amazing Chinese food I’ve ever had was in the Netherlands. Go figure! It was run by Chinese people FOR Chinese people and nothing like the saucy Americanized version available here though.

31 Alexa November 8, 2010 at 1:44 pm

That is pretty much the route a ran for my marathon (plus a few miles!) and in the rain, so I feel for you! Awesome that you did it. =)

32 Sean November 8, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Hey, I ran in that half-marathon yesterday! :o) It was the US-Half. Too bad you two weren’t signed up! There was actually a groupon for it for $40 not too long ago that I tweeted about with the #foodbuzz tag. (Really nice tech shirt, medal, metal water bottle etc… not bad $!)

What a miserable day for it. Ended up covered in mud. Wish I could have your attitude on the weather. The bridge wasn’t that great anyway. It was so foggy you couldn’t even see the water below and the cars in the ran practically made it too noisy to even talk to the person running next to you. Had a much better experience running it on the roadbed during the SF Marathon last July. Glad you enjoyed your time out here πŸ™‚
Sean recently posted..The Warrior Dash!

33 Lisa November 8, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I can’t imagine running in SF! HARD!!!
Lisa recently posted..Mexican Crockpot Chicken

34 kathleen November 8, 2010 at 3:37 pm

You’re a trooper! Going for a long run like that before a long flight. I tried that once and woke up halfway through a red eye and i was so dehydrated it hurt to open my eyes they were so dry.
kathleen recently posted..Can I get a redo on the day

35 Jaclyn November 8, 2010 at 3:46 pm

“The dull experience of China Town?!!!!” I loveeeeee china town! But, I have to agree- chinese food (albeit vegetable hom baos) isn’t that great and yes the dim sum ladies are always pushing food on you, ha!

Looks like you had a great time Meghann! What a beautiful little baby, so crazy/cool to see her after knowing Beth b/f the pregnancy!

36 BethT November 8, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Little Lucy wasn’t quite as sweet at 2 a.m…..haha. Just kidding. She had sweet dreams after meeting her Blaunties (Blog Aunties) Meghann and Sabrina!

37 Megan November 8, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Ahhh sweet baby girl. πŸ™‚ yay breastfeeding! I eat soooo much between running and nursing. Like 900 extra calories a day!

38 Ali November 8, 2010 at 7:10 pm

I love PF Changs chinese food and since having that I really can’t do the local take out options that we have around my small town. Also, it’s definitely a perk to have runner friends all over the country to do your long runs with. It would have been hard for anyone to get out of bed based on your pictures of the weather!
Ali recently posted..Treadmill Workout

39 rae November 8, 2010 at 10:24 pm

awesome…i was one of the runners!! It was crazy wet and cold but lots of fun. Sorry you couldnt run on the bridge…next time, DEFINITELY do it, it was amazing!!!

40 Lacey @ Lake Life November 9, 2010 at 4:15 pm

That husband looked less than thrilled to be photographed!!
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..Anti-Monkey Butt &amp Chicken Poop

41 RhodeyGirl November 9, 2010 at 8:48 pm

yay!!!! You are such a sweetie pie! At least I had ONE good idea this weekend! I am so sorry about the dim sum- I remember loving it last time even though I am not a big fan of Chinese food either.

How is it that we took the same photos with similar cameras and mine are so much darker and some are much less in focus than yours? What setting did you use for the Tartine shots?
RhodeyGirl recently posted..A Recipe for Inspiration- Foodbuzz Festival 2010

42 jessica November 10, 2010 at 10:00 am

Looks like so much fun! Even the running in the rain. I’ve actually come to enjoy running in the rain since rain is pretty rare here. If we get moisture it usually comes in the form of snow or not at all.
jessica recently posted..It’s Back!

43 sippitysup November 10, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I think I saw you getting out of the elevator after a run early one morning at the Drake. I almost said something but we both seemed determined in our paths. I am glad you had a great trip. GREG