more ยป" />

Home is where Maddie is

by Meghann on November 8, 2010

Oh, red eyes…. how I loathe you so.

This was my third red eye in the last year and I have to say it doesn’t get any easier. Red eyes definitely have their pros (spending an extra full day in the city without paying for a hotel room, having all of Monday to myself, going to sleep in one city and waking up in another, etc.) BUT there’s also the cons ( most uncomfortable night of sleep ever, freezing airplane, lay overs, etc.).

All I can say is that it’s good to go home. ๐Ÿ˜‰

My red eye took me from San Francisco to Atlanta where I was stranded with my dear friend Raya for THREE HOURS before our flight home.

Luckily Raya is AWESOME and it was nice to have a friend to kill time with in the airport.

We hit up Starbucks right after we landed for breakfast.

Thankfully this Starbucks did have Pumpkin Spice still on hand and were able to make me a much needed Pumpkin Spice Awake Tea Latte.

IMG_3490.jpg

For food I ordered a bowl of the Perfect Oatmeal.

With the nuts, dried fruit, and a packet of Barney Butter I found in the bottom of my bag.

Mmmmmm……

IMG_3493.jpg IMG_3494.jpg

Raya and I entertained ourselves by catching up on our google readers and taking as many ridiculous photos as we could.

IMG_3501.JPG IMG_3502.JPG IMG_3503.JPG IMG_3505.JPG

Before we boarded our final flight I had a Frog Hollow Pear.

The flight was short and painless. I said bye to Raya at baggage claim

IMG_3509.jpg

And raced to the kennel to pick Maddie up.

189960866.jpg

I got many, many comments from the kennel staff on the ball of energy I call Maddie. Apparently, she made quite an impression there? I swear she’s an angel with me!

IMG_3518.jpg

My options were limited for lunch, but I manage to scrounge up some left overs from the freezer.

IMG_3510.jpg

Left over Chili

A Jalapeno Corn Muffin.

Just what the doctor ordered.

I am so glad I have the rest of the day to myself to sit back and decompress. I see a manicure and new running shoes in my future.

It feels good to be home!

1 Kelly November 8, 2010 at 2:00 pm

I bet it is good to finally be home! Haha I love how whenever you leave Maddie somewhere you always get comments about her.
Kelly recently posted..Professional Wedding Guest

2 Gavi @ GaviGetsGoing! November 8, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Welcome home! It looks like you had a fabulous time this weekend at FoodBuzz. I live in San Francisco, and I just kept thinking that you were all so close! I hope you have a lovely day to yourself. What type of running shoes are you going to get? Enjoy!

3 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 8, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Glad you made it home safe! Enjoy your manicure- I could certainly use one right now too!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Blogger Meetup x2

4 Amanda (Eating Up) November 8, 2010 at 2:03 pm

I love the feedback you get from the kennel when you pick up your pet. My dog was always a mischievous one and had special instructions that said the kennel people can’t clip her nails. She was too much of a terror!
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..Save Up- Buy Wine in the Fall

5 Brittney November 8, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Ah! I’m about to leave Clyde at a kennel for two nights this weekend while I run a half marathon (6 hours away) and I’m all nervous about it! He did great on this “trial day”, but I’m worried how he’ll do overnight!
Brittney recently posted..Thanks Boeing

6 grocery goddess jen November 8, 2010 at 2:13 pm

It’s sooo nice to be home after being away. And then it’s sooo nice to have another trip to look forward to!
grocery goddess jen recently posted..The Rest of My Groceries and A Rant

7 Brenna November 8, 2010 at 2:26 pm

I hate coming home to an empty fridge ! That chili looks so yummy though ๐Ÿ™‚
Brenna recently posted..Centre Pompidou-Metz

8 Natalia@TheHealthScript November 8, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Good thing my family doesn’t travel very often cause our dog doesn’t like people or kennels which leaves us with very little options. The only time we put him in a kennel, he broke one of his front teeth and we were told he barely ate anything. I think he thought we left him there for good, poor doggie ๐Ÿ™
Natalia@TheHealthScript recently posted..At Home Workouts

9 kate November 8, 2010 at 2:40 pm

How great would flying be if you always got to chill with a new friend who loves oatmeal and blogs?!
kate recently posted..Kick Asana

10 Mindy @ just a one girl revolution. November 8, 2010 at 2:45 pm

I’ve been in Atlanta five times this year…never once have I seen more than the interior of the Hartsfield-Jackson airport!
Mindy @ just a one girl revolution. recently posted..baking fail

11 Sana November 8, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Enjoy some R&R you deserve it!!
Sana recently posted..Jail Cell

12 Michele @ Healthy Cultivations November 8, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Oh, poor Maddie had to stay in a kennel this trip. That’s always so hard. I hate leaving the poor babies in doggie jail while I’m off playing. So I like to think of it as a real Puppy Resort instead.

13 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday November 8, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Aww, so nice to be reunited with Maddie.

Jack Russells have crazy amounts of energy! They can be a handful to watch.

14 Claire (Low Impact Fashionista) November 8, 2010 at 3:14 pm

I have leftover chili for lunch too but instead of corn bread on the side I had homemade whole wheat bread, I love leftover chili it never ever disappoints!

15 Kiran November 8, 2010 at 3:15 pm

I never knew Starbucks offers oatmeal. Great incentive to eat healthy on the go!
Kiran recently posted..Cucumber raita

16 Matt November 8, 2010 at 3:19 pm

I’ve never actually taken a redeye! Not sure I want to…
Matt recently posted..Running In Vibrams- Week 1 Recap

17 Jen November 8, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Glad you returned home safely, good luck getting back to normal ๐Ÿ™‚

Jen
Jen recently posted..November Goals

18 Jaclyn November 8, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Ah so jealous you have a “catch up” day, I definitely need one of those today after my weekend away, too! It must feel good to be reunited with Maddie!
Jaclyn recently posted..Tugs &amp Trains &amp Sushi x2

19 Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) November 8, 2010 at 3:55 pm

There is nothing like the feeling of walking through your own front door after being away. But yeah, red-eyes suck and should be avoided at all costs! ๐Ÿ™‚
Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) recently posted..Adventures onย Myย Bike

20 Lisa (bakebikeblog) November 8, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Welcome home!!! I love that you can get oatmeal at the airport too!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Tackling the trailsโ€ฆ

21 Hope November 8, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Hehe maddie is so cute!
Hope recently posted..Need a Distraction

22 Laura @ Backstage Pass November 8, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Ugh, the dreaded Red Eye flight. Looks like you had great company with Raya, though! I could have killed for a familiar companion for my flight, instead I was stuck next to a rude guy who kept trying to put his legs / feet under my seat and push the boundaries of the shared armrest ๐Ÿ™
Enjoy your day! Again, it was great to meet you at Foodbuzz, you’re awesome!
Laura @ Backstage Pass recently posted..San Francisco-licious

23 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) November 8, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Aww Maddie’s so sweet! I hate leaving my doggie, and the people at my boarding kennels always tell me how hyper and barky he is! Tell me something I DON’T know! ๐Ÿ˜›
Enjoy your rest and being back at home! ๐Ÿ™‚
Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) recently posted..Cake always makes a terrible day marginally betterโ€ฆ

24 Melissa November 8, 2010 at 5:19 pm

I think you have one of the cutest pups ever! I’m sure she was happy to see you.
Melissa recently posted..โ€˜Tis the Season

25 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather November 8, 2010 at 6:49 pm

It’s nice that you had a friend to kill time with. Hope you have some nice relaxing time.
Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather recently posted..10 Minute Upper Body Interval Workout

26 Ali November 8, 2010 at 7:04 pm

I love your long hair!
Ali recently posted..Treadmill Workout

27 tara November 8, 2010 at 7:19 pm

I LOVE your dog! My heart aches for a dog of my own and whenever I see pictures of your dog I want one just like that! soo cute ๐Ÿ™‚

28 Jessica@tastyandtrim November 8, 2010 at 7:30 pm

I’m glad you had a safe trip home! I love how chili freezes SO well. Pop it in the microwave for a bit and I swear it tastes like it was sitting in the crockpot all day. Chili + corn muffins is one of my favorite meals! It is so warming and delicious – definitely a meal that screams home sweet home ๐Ÿ™‚
Jessica@tastyandtrim recently posted..La Festa di Pizza

29 Lauren November 8, 2010 at 7:48 pm

It must feel so great to be home again. But when is the next trip? ๐Ÿ˜‰
Lauren recently posted..Flavors of Fall

30 rebecca lustig November 8, 2010 at 8:22 pm

gah i hate coming back to an empty fridge, thank heaven for freezers.

i havent had a corn muffin in months… and i LOVE a good corn muffin.

this comment was so random… but welcome back ๐Ÿ™‚

31 Raya @ Raya Runs November 8, 2010 at 8:52 pm

OMG in the picture where I’m waving, it looks like I have no fingers!! Haha! Too funny. It feels sooo good to be home! P.S. I bought the yoga classes, wheeeeeee!
Raya @ Raya Runs recently posted..Post Foodbuzz

32 Natalie (The Sweet Life) November 8, 2010 at 10:11 pm

3 of my pears got smashed in my bag, I was so sad today when I had to pick the pear chunks out ๐Ÿ™ glad you still got to enjoy yours!
Natalie (The Sweet Life) recently posted..Pumpkin Spice Roasted Chickpeas