Not So Scary

by Meghann on October 31, 2010

Boo!

Happy Halloween!

Derek: “What are you doing?”

Me: “I’m being a pumpkin”

Pumpkin face, right?!?! πŸ˜‰

Derek and I decided to put our annual passes to wrk and spent the day at Universal.

The majority of the scare zones were still set up from Halloween Horror Nights, so it was almost like we were there. Only not as scary. πŸ˜‰

Not quite the same, but I’d like to think this counts as my Halloween Horror Nights experience for 2010. I couldn’t let a 10 year streak die, could I?

IMG_3327.jpg

I brought an AllieBar to snack on in the park.

We had three goals at Universal today:

1. Ride Rip Ride Roller Coaster

2. Walk through all the Halloween Horror Nights set ups

3. Visit Harry Potter

Done. Done. Done.

Time for lunch!

Anatolia is a Turkish restaurant in the Dr. Phillips area that had a deal on Groupon this past week. One of the reasons I love Groupon is because it exposes me to restaurants I would never have thought to try before. Anatolia is a little out of my way, so without a reason (like a Groupon) to head that way I would never have stopped to go inside. The Groupon was the perfect reason to take the restaurant for a test run and see if it was worth revisiting in the future.

By the time we sat it was close to 3:00 – we were hot, hungry, and ready to eat!

Together we devoured the pickled red cabbage and olives that were placed in front of is precisely 2.5 seconds.

The best part of any Turkish restaurant is the big puffy Lavas bread that’s served hot and steamy fresh out of the oven.

With a side of babaganoush

I loved how dense and stringy the babganoush was – a good sign it was made fresh with real eggplant – but it was flavorless and needed salt. Lots of salt. Luckily, an easy problem to fix.

For my entree I ordered the Falafel appetizer and traded a falafel for some of Derek’s lamb, bulgar, and vegetables.

Again everything was good, but… it needed salt. πŸ™‚

In the end I’m glad we tried Anatolia, but probably won’t be worth the drive in the future. There’s an AMAZING Turkish restaurant much closer to my apartment that can just as easily fit my Lavas needs. πŸ˜‰

Our dessert required a little effort on our end.

I wasn’t planning on dressing up for Halloween, but when a free Jeremiah’s gelati is on the line you tell me to jump and I’ll ask how high.

I dusted off my Hermione costume from a few years ago, threw a few medals on Derek, and we were out the door.

“Where we going Mama?!”

The prize – a free small Pumpkin Pie Gelati.

IMG_3382.jpg

Definitely worth putting on a ridiculous costume for precisely 5.5 minutes.

Maddie earned a treat too!

Maddie makes a pretty Princess.

For dinner tonight I simply reheated some left over Butternut Squash Lasagna.

I miss eating in the daylight. πŸ™

Alright, time for bed.

Good Night!!!!

1 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 31, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Oooh yummm I could so do with some pumpkin gelato right now!! I find the same thing about a lot of Lebanese restaurants regarding the salt factor. Apart from that it looks like you had a great Halloween! πŸ™‚
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Friday fun

2 Rosey Rebecca October 31, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Maddie looks adorable!

Turkish restaurants are great! My boyfriend actually lived in Turkey for a year when he was a teenager. His father is a historian, and taught over there.

Happy Halloween!
Rosey Rebecca recently posted..Meet Cornelius

3 Hope October 31, 2010 at 8:47 pm

OMG Maddie in a dress!? Just when I thought she couldn’t get any cuter!!
Hope recently posted..Muffin Top

4 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine October 31, 2010 at 8:49 pm

I’d totally dress up for gelati too. And I LOVE the Hermione costume…I always want to be her but end up choosing something else!!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Tempt-eh

5 Amanda (Eating Up) October 31, 2010 at 8:50 pm

That gelati looks so good! I’m always so jealous when you post pictures of it on the blog!
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..Happy Day After National Candy Corn Day!

6 Rachael October 31, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Turkish food is amazing – I’m sure there’s some spot in Asheville that has it, but I’ve yet to stumble upon any!
I’m a fan of your Hermione costume – glad to see Harry Potter still representing on Halloween!
Rachael recently posted..You Say Whole Foods- I Say Dumpster

7 Michele @ Healthy Cultivations October 31, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Oh my!!! Maddie’s costume is Adorable (yes, with a capital A)!!!
Michele @ Healthy Cultivations recently posted..First Post and a Stonyfield coupon giveaway coming…

8 Reenie October 31, 2010 at 9:13 pm

OMG ~ that pic of Maddie ~ with her lil’ bottom teeth showing……..too cute!!!

9 Lisa (bakebikeblog) October 31, 2010 at 9:15 pm

oh my – what a fun day!!!!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..β€œS” is for…

10 Jessica October 31, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Maddie’s costume is adorable!! She looks like she loves it too which is rare. Looks like a great way to spend Halloween to me πŸ™‚
Jessica recently posted..Truth is

11 RunningOnCoffee October 31, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Love Maddie’s costume… and nice job to you two for whipping together costumes, definitely worth the free gelati! Your lunch looks fabulous; we have a great Middle-Eastern restaurant near us with fabulous babaganoush. And falafel. And gyros. And just about everything they have is fantastic.

Is your blue top from Lululemon? I think I’m wearing the long sleeve hoodie version of your top today (Flashback hoodie in angel blue!)
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Recipe- Curried Butternut Squash and Pear Soup

12 Amy K. @ Onehealthypeanut October 31, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Maddie is so cute!!! So glad she got a treat too! Looks like it was a fabulous day!!
Amy K. @ Onehealthypeanut recently posted..Over the River &amp Through the Woods

13 Kristy @ KristyRuns October 31, 2010 at 9:37 pm

HAHA! Love the costumes. The marathon addict is great.

P.S. You as a pumpkin? Classic! πŸ˜‰

14 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 31, 2010 at 9:43 pm

I badly want to go to Universal again sometime soon. I would love to see the Harry Potter stuff.

Free gelati for a costume? Score! That’s better than trick or treating.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..tapas and bloggers

15 Katy October 31, 2010 at 9:55 pm

Love Maddie’s costume! She looked adorable! πŸ™‚ Im glad you got to celebrate Halloween even if some other ppl didnt get to! Universal looked fun, I hope you enjoyed HP… Ive been wanting to go but I havent been to Florida since it went up!
Katy recently posted..The Characters

16 Elizabeth October 31, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Looks like you had so much fun for Halloween. I’m dying to go to Universal to see the Harry Potter stuff. Hopefully soon.

17 Lily's Health Pad October 31, 2010 at 9:58 pm

I want pics of Harry Potter!!! I want to go so badly, but I don’t live remotely close. Is it worth the trip?

18 Meghann October 31, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Hi Lilly! Here’s my original review of Harry Potter http://mealsandmiles.com/2010/06/19/the-wizarding-world-of-harry-potter/ – totally worth the trip!!

19 Lacey @ Lake Life October 31, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Did your yummy home-made peanut butter cups change your mind on boycotting Halloween this year?

P.S. Maddie looks adorable!
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..Halloween comfort food

20 Meg October 31, 2010 at 10:39 pm

You have such a contagious smile, Meghann! Just thought you should know πŸ™‚

Looks like an amazing Halloween and Jeremiah’s totally completes it πŸ˜€

21 Amy H October 31, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Can I just say how much I love the picture of Maddie smiling with her costume on?!! So adorable!

22 Krystina (Organically Me) October 31, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Is the amazing Turkish restaurant you’re talking about Bosphorus? If so, it’s sooo amazing.
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..Garlic &amp Oil

23 Sana October 31, 2010 at 10:55 pm

I would sooo do the same for anything free πŸ™‚ Derek needs to run a marathon so he won’t just be one for Halloween πŸ™‚
Sana recently posted..Falling

24 caronae October 31, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Maddie is too cute. I love her in the picture where she is standing up — she almost looks like a little toddler! I was Hedwig this year, which was basically pretty sweet!
caronae recently posted..Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Walnut Bread

25 Lara November 1, 2010 at 4:36 am

The way you taste relates to your actual nutritional condition. If you’ve sweat a lot during your long long long run in the morning you need salt, and your body asks for it.

Want an ice cream too!

26 Kristin November 1, 2010 at 8:57 am

LOL at the pic of Maddie smiling.

27 Alina (Duty Free Foodie) November 1, 2010 at 11:35 am

I love falafel … I haven’t had it in a couple of years, though, which is inexcusable. Also, cute costume!

28 Lisa November 1, 2010 at 12:42 pm

I love the Halloween decorations!! Very cool!
Lisa recently posted..Zombies Invade Portland!

29 Brittney November 1, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Maddie is SO CUTE in her dress!!! Love it πŸ™‚
Brittney recently posted..Halloween Part 1

30 Jasmine @ Eat Move Write November 1, 2010 at 1:48 pm

That looked like so much fun!!! I haven’t been to Universal in years. Maddie was so cute in her little costume, too. πŸ™‚
Jasmine @ Eat Move Write recently posted..How to Make a Healthy Living Blogger’s Husband Really Happy

31 katie November 1, 2010 at 6:06 pm

mmmh if i had the incentive of free ice cream i would have done the same thing!

katie recently posted..MapMyRun – First Training Run 3miles or so i thought

32 Emma November 2, 2010 at 8:42 pm

I love how your dog always looks like she’s smiling!