Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls Success

by Meghann on October 30, 2010

Up after 7:00… Running at 8:00… Breakfast at 11:00…. Who am I?

Oh yeah, I’m a girl with no set plans for the day. Love it! πŸ™‚

My alarm was set for 6:45 this morning, but somehow the snooze button kept being hit and somehow I was enjoying it. πŸ˜‰

I had a mini Clif Bar and was out the door with Derek for an easy 7.5 mile run.

Derek is in training for the Space Coast Half Marathon at the end of November, so he wanted to do between 7 and 8 miles. He has really stepped up his running game and I’m impressed with his new dedication. Today’s run was amazing. Derek kept an awesome 10:30 min/mile pace and was able to talk the majority of the way.

Go Derek!

I was sportin’ my new Chicago Marathon on the run and got a little giddy when a random runner asked me if I ran Chicago. Hell Yeah I did. πŸ˜‰

I’m a big fan of this year’s shirts. They’re comfy, fit well, and are really cute. Love.

After our run I had BIG plans for breakfast. Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls anyone?

I’ve seen these beauties pop up on a few blogs lately and have been dying to try to recreate them myself. Tri to Cook’s variation seemed relatively easy to follow, so I got all the ingredients out and went to town.

I followed the recipe exactly. I have a history of subbing ingredients when baking and the recipe never turns out. I’ve learned my lesson – stick to what is written and no one will get hurt.

IMG_4884.JPG IMG_4887.JPG

Of course, I didn’t factor time into making the rolls. These babies took probably an hour and a half in total to produce, but were totally worth it. What are casual Saturdays for anyways?

Rolling and cutting were probably my favorite part. When they start to actually look like cinnamon rolls is when it gets exciting. πŸ˜‰

Ready to bake!

When they came out of the oven I immediately called Derek over and started jumping up and down – “Look what I did! Look how pretty they are!”

He wasn’t quite as enthusiastic as I was at how prettier they were, but he was excited when he took his first bite. I was impressed myself, they rose like they were supposed to, they browned like they were supposed to, AND they were gooey like they were supposed to me. They were perfect!

IMG_4987.JPG IMG_4989.JPG IMG_4993.JPG

Big one and small for breakfast.

With a honeycrisp apple on the side.

The perfect Saturday breakfast.

πŸ™‚

1 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine October 30, 2010 at 12:35 pm

I must say that I am seriously impressed with your ability to whip up that amazing a breakfast on a Saturday. They look so good!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Tempt-eh

2 Evan Thomas October 30, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Way to go, Derek! He’s becoming quite the runner

And those cinnamon rolls look awesome! I always had trouble with yeast bread. It was definitely a cooking phobia of mine.

3 Anna @ History Running Girl October 30, 2010 at 12:36 pm

These look delicious!

I was thinking about your blog early today because I was talking to someone about how I got Wizarding World tips from a blogger before I went! It was very helpful!
Anna @ History Running Girl recently posted..Flashback Friday

4 Liz @ LBBakes October 30, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Mmm, I could go for one of those right now! I love that shirt, btw!
Liz @ LBBakes recently posted..Halloween Treats aka Ode to Candy Corn

5 Balanced Healthy Life October 30, 2010 at 12:43 pm

I now have a serious craving for rolls! : )

6 Little Bookworm October 30, 2010 at 12:46 pm

The cinnamon rolls look amazing. πŸ™‚
Little Bookworm recently posted..A Muffin Saturday

7 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) October 30, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Awesome job! They look delicious! It is hard to sub ingredients when baking–and baking things (especially when using yeast) always takes extra time, but it is always worth it in the end!
Michelle (The Runner’s Plate) recently posted..Still a Win

8 breakingsilence @ Freshman -15 October 30, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Yum…I want one of those.
breakingsilence @ Freshman -15 recently posted..Recipe music

9 Corey @ the Runner's Cookie October 30, 2010 at 1:05 pm

I get excited when my baked goods are pretty, too! Especially when it’s something I’ve never made before or is difficult πŸ™‚ Nice job – they look divine!

10 Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather October 30, 2010 at 1:12 pm

So impressive and pretty! I’d be giddy too, way to go!

I’ve only made cinnamon rolls with my mom before when I was younger… something I need to try on my own sometime.
Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather recently posted..Wednesdays Weekly Workout MiniChallenge: Squats

11 RunningOnCoffee October 30, 2010 at 2:07 pm

The rolls look great! And congrats to Derek on stepping up his running game! I see nothing wrong with sleeping in on the weekend. Good for you for trying to wake up at 6:45 on a Sat! I usually don’t like to miss out on daylight, but I guess I had a lot of ‘sleep debt’ from this week, and some how managed to sleep in until 9:50 this morning. !!! That’s crazy. And I feel like I wasted half of my day, but I guess I needed some extra sleep.
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Recipe- Curried Butternut Squash and Pear Soup

12 Beth @ bride in the little white dress October 30, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Looks yummy! It would make the perfect thanksgiving day breakfast too. πŸ™‚
Beth @ bride in the little white dress recently posted..Indian Summer Oats

13 Emilyeatsclean October 30, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Do pancakes count as baking?? I don’t know…but I think I’m gonna quite subbing ingredients for pancakes because they NEVER turn out! I even tried this morning…..total failure! πŸ™ Boy oh boy those cinnamon rolls sure look good though!
Emilyeatsclean recently posted..Love at first bite…

14 Lauren October 30, 2010 at 2:29 pm

I’ve tried to make these before and failed miserably. Yours look awesome! I wish I didn’t suck at baking because I really want to master these but sadly, mine tasted awful. πŸ™

Have a wonderful free and relaxing Saturday! πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..Ask Not What Your World Can Do For You

15 Natalie (The Sweet Life) October 30, 2010 at 2:33 pm

mmm I have made SO many pumpkin baked goods lately (posting pumpkin granola bars tomorrow–the best homemade granola bars I’ve ever had!!), but cinnamon rolls are one I haven’t tried yet. You’ve convinced me I ought to try it sometime soon…maybe tomorrow morning πŸ™‚

16 christina cadden October 30, 2010 at 2:34 pm

mm those pumpkin rolls look so good! Good job on the running!

17 Kelly October 30, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Um, those look insanely good!
Kelly recently posted..Have Mercy

18 Krystina (Organically Me) October 30, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Those heart bowls are so cute!!
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..Sugar Cookies- The Old Fashioned Way

19 Shanna, Like Banana October 30, 2010 at 3:04 pm

I think they look fantastic and are totally worthy of jumping up and down πŸ˜‰ I bet they were equally as delicious too!
Shanna, Like Banana recently posted..They’re baaaaack

20 Kiran October 30, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Cinnamon looks so delicious πŸ˜€ I’ve never heard about anyone who ran a few miles and baked a storm for brunch. Hats off to you πŸ˜€
Kiran recently posted..Chickpeas and edamame in coconut milk

21 Katie October 30, 2010 at 4:01 pm

You look soo beautiful in the running pictures. A natural glow of beauty and happiness shines about!
Katie recently posted..Pre-Half Marathon Carbo-Loading

22 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] October 30, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Does it make you feel better than I woke up at 12 NOON!? Oh my word – I was completely shocked! 7:00am on a Saturday though – that’s early, girl! You’ve been a productive one today =]
Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] recently posted..True Life- I’m a Chocoholic

23 Lish October 30, 2010 at 4:37 pm

I usually shy away from things needing me to use yeast because I’ve had some bad experiences but oh man, I want to make these asap.

24 Elizabeth October 30, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Wow those look so good! Can you mail me some? πŸ™‚

25 Dori October 30, 2010 at 5:12 pm

I want.
Dori recently posted..My First Post-Injury Run!

26 kathleen October 30, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Those rolls look incredible!

27 Lacey @ Lake Life October 30, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Those look amazing! Great job πŸ™‚

I never bake for the “exact” reason you mentioned- no subbing allowed. Boo.

28 Amy K. @ Onehealthypeanut October 30, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Yum-o!! Those look amazing, I can almost smell the pumpkin spice πŸ™‚
Amy K. @ Onehealthypeanut recently posted..Perk You Up: Pumpkin Granola Bites

29 Meaghen October 30, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Those look really good. I made cinnamon rolls for the first time this year for (Canadian) Thanksgiving and I was really proud of myself too! It’s so excited when things turn out the way they’re supposed to!

30 SaraRM October 30, 2010 at 9:01 pm

OH. MY. GOSH those look ahhhhamazing! YUM!

Way to go Derek!

31 Paige @ Running Around Normal October 30, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Nice job on the rolls those look fab!
Paige @ Running Around Normal recently posted..A Blood Thirsty Crowd

32 Shannon, Tropical Eats October 30, 2010 at 10:13 pm

YUM. we have a winner!!! πŸ™‚ those look AMAZING!
Shannon, Tropical Eats recently posted..an ode to halloween

33 Shannon October 31, 2010 at 1:25 am

i think i was jumping up and down, too πŸ™‚ sorry i had no idea how long i took to make them as I was stopping and playing around with ingredients for pictures, etc! glad you enjoyed πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚
Shannon recently posted..A Journey to Ethiopia

34 Brittney November 1, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Wow, those rolls look awesome! Good for Derek going for his second half! You’ve rubbed off on him, huh?
Brittney recently posted..Halloween Part 1