more ยป" />

Guests for Dinner

by Meghann on October 30, 2010

It’s the weekend. Woop! Woop!

I believe Maddie was just as excited as I was to hear that news. She spent all afternoon doing laps around the apartment, then doing laps outside. And when our guests for the evening arrived she was all about playing fetch and licking them to death.

She loves her Uncle Anthony.

My Sister and her boyfriend Anthony didn’t have plans for the evening either, so I invited them over for dinner. I was in the mood to cook a big meal – in my own kitchen! – and it’s always more fun to cook a big meal for a crowd.

It felt good to really get my hands dirty in the kitchen afternoon. I decided to go with Cooking Light’s Butternut Lasagna because I knew it wasn’t a quick meal and I knew it was a good one. The recipe is an old favorite from college that deserves to come out of hiding once or twice a year.

However, my version of the recipe is slightly tastier than the original. My secret? I add a 1/4 teaspoon of Nutmeg, Cloves, and Cinnamon to the butternut squash mix. If gives the lasagna a hint of spice that really brings our the delicious squash flavors.

My table set up needs a little work. We should probably start with 1. a bigger table, 2. matching place mats, and 3. more chairs. ๐Ÿ˜‰

No one seemed to mind though. I think they were all there for the food anyways. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Many thanks to Kelly and Anthony for supplying the adult beverages for the evening. ๐Ÿ™‚ I really enjoyed Jack’s Pumpkin Spice Ale.

IMG_4803.jpg

I didn’t cook the butternut squash long enough before layering it in with the lasagna so there were a few chunky pieces, but besides that it was rather tasty.

On the side we had a simple salad with mixed greens, tomato, mushroom, and a sesame dressing.

And some homemade garlic bread.

All I did was slice a multi-grain baguette in half and toasted it with some olive oil, garlic salt, and parmesan cheese for a few minutes.

After dinner we headed to Menchie’s for a sweet treat. Kelly had a couple of BOGO coupons that were set to expire on 10/31 and we couldn’t let them go to waste, could we?

In the spirited of Halloween the usual flavors had been replaced with Halloween themed labels. Which would you prefer the Trick-or-Tart or the Vampire Vanilla? ๐Ÿ˜‰

IMG_4860.JPG IMG_4857.JPG

Personally, I went with the Potent Pumpkin, Cockling Cake Batter, and Raven Red Velvet ๐Ÿ˜‰ with a Halloween Oreo, Orange Sprinkles, and Reeses toppings.

Katy and Meghann Rock the Rally

Katy and I are campaigning for one of the 6 slots in Ford Focus Rally America – a brand new cross-country web-based reality adventure show – and we need your support.

Help us, Help you.

The scavenger style show requires a heavy social media following and by the end of the adventure, not only does the winner win a brand new Ford Focus, but they’re provided 10 other cars to hand to their top followers.

Basically, we win, you win.

Start by ‘liking’ us on Facebook and signing the wall with your support. The more support we get the more attention we get and the closer we are to winning that car! Spread the love peeps!

1 Stefanie @thenewhealthy October 30, 2010 at 12:39 am

I so wish we had a Menchie’s here! I’m now craving frozen yogurt, even though it’s in the 40’s here! Froyo never goes out of season!

I’m heading over to FB to check out the the Focus Rally right now. ๐Ÿ™‚
Stefanie @thenewhealthy recently posted..Past &amp Present

2 Hope October 30, 2010 at 12:41 am

Gosh Maddie is so cute! Our cats are always super cute and smoochy when we have guests over!
Your dinner looked so good! Yum!
Heading over to facebook

3 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) October 30, 2010 at 1:32 am

I wish there were frozen yogurt places where I lived. I’m glad you didn’t let a good coupon go to waste! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Michelle (The Runner’s Plate) recently posted..Still a Win

4 Haleigh October 30, 2010 at 7:13 am

I wish there was a froyo place close to me! The nearest one takes about 20 minutes to drive to… which I guess is a good thing since I have absolutely 0 control around froyo or any sweet for that matter ๐Ÿ˜‰

5 Allie October 30, 2010 at 7:38 am

Aww looks like you had a nice dinner!
Allie recently posted..Friday!

6 Matt October 30, 2010 at 8:00 am

That lasagna looks great! I am going to give that a shot ๐Ÿ™‚
Matt recently posted..The Rundown On Spelt

7 Lauren October 30, 2010 at 8:46 am

I made this same recipe the other day and the EXACT same thing happened to me! The squash didn’t cook enough. So weird. But it still tasted good and the leftovers are fantastic.

Have a great day!
Lauren recently posted..Ask Not What Your World Can Do For You

8 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 30, 2010 at 8:47 am

I just ‘liked’ you. Which is odd because I already liked you just not “officially” on FB. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Sounds like a great night. They just opened a Menchie’s by us and we may be hitting it up tonight. Wish we had some BOGO coupons though.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..roll me home

9 Meaghen October 30, 2010 at 9:05 am

I really wish we had self serve yogurt places like that in Canada!!! They look so good and I would be all over the cake batter one!!
Meaghen recently posted..These boots are made for dodging.

10 Elizabeth October 30, 2010 at 9:08 am

I am so freakn happy that a Menchie’s is finally opening up here in Fort Lauderdale! Finally! And that lasagna looks awesome. I’m totally craving something like that now even though it’s only 9am lol.

11 christina cadden October 30, 2010 at 9:16 am

Your lasagna looks so good!

12 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) October 30, 2010 at 9:39 am

That lasagne looks really really good! I may have to try making that myself soon…
Mmm frozen yoghurt….and WHAT a great topping combo! ๐Ÿ˜€
Off to vote on facebook now!
Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) recently posted..Spicy tomato- chickpea and vegetable stew

13 Lacey @ Lake Life October 30, 2010 at 10:08 am

I think I need to add that lasagna recipe to my list of “to-do’s”. Lol @ Derek in the desk chair!
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..Down with the sickness

14 Tabitha (From Single to Married) October 30, 2010 at 11:15 am

Makes me wish that we had a frozen yogurt place near us. You’d think with all of the varieties of food places nearby there would be one, but alas… no.
Tabitha (From Single to Married) recently posted..Alone in a Crowd