My Sky Diving Tale

by Meghann on October 29, 2010

Want to know how you follow a relaxing evening?

With a relaxing morning. 😉

I slept in until 6:00 this morning (on purpose) and took my time getting ready for the day. I even took some time to make a delicious breakfast of homemade Pumpkin Waffles from scratch.

IMG_4747

I was out of milk, but had some yogurt on hand. After a quick google search of ‘Pumpkin Waffles with Yogurt’ I found this AMAZING recipe at the Frugal Granola to try.

IMG_4757

As soon as the batter started baking away in the waffle iron, I knew these waffles were going to be a winner. The thick aroma of spices, pumpkin, and molasses quickly filled the air and all of a sudden I forgot I was in a Florida heat wave and instead was prancing through the beautiful fall foliage of the northeast.

IMG_4758

I topped my waffle with some Vanilla Almond Butter, Homemade Pumpkin Butter, Chopped Dates, Raisins, and Granola.

IMG_4761

The recipe made a batch of 4 waffles. I enjoyed one for breakfast and froze the rest for quick breakfasts during the week.

IMG_4765

Check out this morning’s Living Social Deal in Orlando.

livesocial

Alright, whose ready to jump?

Kidding… sort of

Actually, seeing this deal reminded me of my own jump for my 21st birthday. I know I’ve mentioned it on here before, but I’m not sure I’ve ever told the whole story.

See, one of my Uncles had bought his girlfriend at the time a skydiving pass for Christmas that year. We were all sitting around a table talking about whether we would jump or not and I said I would jump in a heartbeat. Another Aunt and Uncle took me up on that challenge and offered to pay for a skydiving adventure for my 21st birthday. I accepted not sure whether they would hold up their end of the bargain or not.

They did. A month later I received a gift certificate in the mail for both my twin brother and I to jump out of a plane the weekend of our 21st birthday. I was so excited to turn 21, I really didn’t give much thought to actually jumping out of a plane.

We were supposed to go early on the Saturday of our birthday weekend, but cold rain and wind forced us to postpone until the next morning. Everyone came up to Tallahassee for the event – old friends, my parents, my Aunt, siblings, etc. My friends, Josh, and I went out until late Saturday night for our ‘Tennessee Waltz’ (another story for another day) then Sunday morning it was time to jump.

I think the nerves started to kick in when we made it to the airfield. We signed papers, watched a video, did some quick practice jumps from the plane on the ground, and boarded the plane. My fingers were shaking the whole time, I couldn’t believe I was really going to jump!

I lost at Rock, Paper, Scissors; meaning I would be jumping first. Once we hit 14,000 ft the guy I was strapped to headed with me to the door. Let me tell you, there is nothing scarier than standing at the open door of a plane and looking straight down from 14,000 ft in the air! I was so scared, I couldn’t move. The guy told me were were going to go on three and began counting down. 1, 2….

We were out the door before he even hit 3! I didn’t realize it until watching the video later that we did a front flip out the door. 🙂

Jumping out of the plane felt like nothing. Not once did I get that feeling in the pit of my stomach that I was falling or have that same rush you feel on a roller coaster. It was oddly peaceful and calming.

Keep in mind this was early February and it was freaking cold! I had to layer up with my Mom’s turtle neck, a sweater, the jump suit, my Mom’s shoes, gloves, a hat, etc. and I still wasn’t warm. It was even worst the higher up we were. I remember flying through the air and wanting it to be over with as soon as possible just so I could be warm again!

The actual falling part only lasted a few minutes, then I was instructed to pull the cord. We floated safely to the ground without a problem.

The scariest part about sky diving is the anticipation  you feel leading up to the jump. Anything after actually jumping is a piece of cake. One day I hope to do it again, but I think the right occasion has to call for it. Maybe for my 30th birthday? 😉

1 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 29, 2010 at 9:26 am

WOW! That is so cool that you went skydiving! I loved my 21st birthday, but I can’t say it was as eventful as yours! Breakfast looks great – I could have done with some pumpkin waffles this morning. Hopefully they’ll make an appearance in my kitchen this weekend. Happy Friday! 😀
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Thanksgiving Take 3!

2 Heather October 29, 2010 at 9:28 am

I have never been sky diving – and don’t think I would be brave enough to do it. On my 21st birthday I had a double ear infection and spent the day feeling so sick – and I almost wish it wasn’t from the ear infection.

Are you going to go skydiving again?
Heather recently posted..More Cream Cheese Please!

3 allison @ thesundayflog October 29, 2010 at 9:30 am

eek!! i went bungee jumping in zimbabwe (at victoria falls) and was TERRIFIED the entire waiting time on the bridge. as soon as i put my harness on i burst into tears and sat on a bench with my head in my hands. it was honestly the scariest but most amazing experience of my life. i get scared just thinking about it, but im SOOOO glad i did it. next on my list is skydiving. i honestly think i would be less scared doing that then bungee jumping!
allison @ thesundayflog recently posted..Oktoberfest

4 maria @ Chasing the Now October 29, 2010 at 9:31 am

You are a million times braver than me. I could never do it. I’m terrified of heights AND I hate being cold. The worst of both!
maria @ Chasing the Now recently posted..Saying goodbye

5 Shannon @ Freshman Yr of Life October 29, 2010 at 9:35 am

Ah! I have always wanted to sky dive! None of my friends will go with me though. But eventually I’m gna do it!
Shannon @ Freshman Yr of Life recently posted..FYOL Chapter 1

6 Nicci October 29, 2010 at 9:37 am

Love it, that’s what I would like to do for my birthday next year. I’m trying to find a friend to come along, but no luck yet. The boyfriend sais ”noooo way”. lol
Nicci recently posted..I’ve Caught That Bug

7 Carly (Swim, Run, Om) October 29, 2010 at 9:38 am

On one hand I want to do this … on the other hand, I like both feet firmly planted on the ground, thankyouverymuch.
Carly (Swim, Run, Om) recently posted..Let’s cleanse … with jambalaya

8 Meaghen October 29, 2010 at 9:40 am

That’s such a cool birthday preset from your aunt and uncle! I can imagine how scary it would be looking dow. At first I didn’t think it would be that bad, but then when you mentioned looking out of the plane and down and then jumping, I immediately thought I may pee my pants if I went sky diving. I still want to go, I just may need some protection. 😉
Meaghen recently posted..These boots are made for dodging.

9 Nic October 29, 2010 at 9:43 am

I did this a few years back as well! It’s amazingly fun! I’m not sure if you had the same experience as me but I didn’t “jump” out of the plane, my partner just kinda gave me a shove 🙂 I think it’s their way of dealing with people who might be having second thoughts. I didn’t however get to do a front flip… that’s way cool! Happy Friday!
Nic recently posted..A dinner guest

10 Katie @ Healthy Heddleston October 29, 2010 at 9:46 am

My sister really wants to go sky diving.. I’ll have to send her this post!
Katie @ Healthy Heddleston recently posted..Healthier Halloween Treats

11 Amanda October 29, 2010 at 9:47 am

My uncle is a skydiver. I think it would be an awesome thing to do, but I don’t think I’d ever have the nerve. I’m scared to death of heights!
Amanda recently posted..Galumpkis Recipe

12 Kelly October 29, 2010 at 9:51 am

Omg I don’t think I could ever do that!
Kelly recently posted..Have Mercy

13 Anna @ History Running Girl October 29, 2010 at 9:54 am

Ahhh. This looks scary. i don’t think I could ever do it! How cool though!!
Anna @ History Running Girl recently posted..Simple Food

14 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) October 29, 2010 at 9:55 am

I love relaxing mornings where I have time to actually cook myself something!

15 Liz @ Blog is the New Black October 29, 2010 at 9:56 am

Your waffles look amazing!

16 Charlie October 29, 2010 at 9:59 am

Pumpkin waffles! Need to try :).
Charlie recently posted..Winter Boots in the City

17 megan @ whatmegansmaking October 29, 2010 at 10:03 am

My heart is beating faster just from reading about your skydiving. I could never do that. Well, I guess I should say I can’t imagine a scenario when I would ever want to!
megan @ whatmegansmaking recently posted..Works for Me Wednesday Homemade Chicken Broth

18 Alina (Duty Free Foodie) October 29, 2010 at 10:17 am

I would love to go skydiving! Slash I am terrified of going skydiving! I can’t decide which.
Alina (Duty Free Foodie) recently posted..Where Your Issues At

19 skinnyrunner October 29, 2010 at 10:18 am

my husband, brother and girlfriend have all been skydiving, but thats a no-g0 for me. way too wimpy and scared…
skinnyrunner recently posted..Speak da Troof

20 Kiran October 29, 2010 at 10:36 am

Bravo! Not a sport for a whim like me 😀 I want to try paragliding at Tampa though.. Baby steps 😉

21 Stephanie @ The Cookie Battle October 29, 2010 at 10:53 am

Wow good for you! I don’t think I could ever do it!

22 Beth @ DiningAndDishing October 29, 2010 at 11:07 am

I went skydiving in Australia when I was in college. It was something I would never normally be brave enough to do, but the thought of floating over all that gorgeous scenery was too good to pass up! I love that you went with your bro on your 21st bday. It’s nice to have some special significance attached to the event :).
Beth @ DiningAndDishing recently posted..8407 Kitchen Bar

23 Biz October 29, 2010 at 11:09 am

Two words: No way! In, no way would I ever do that in a million years – glad you had the balls to do it though! 😀
Biz recently posted..Wheres the Beach

24 Janae @hungryrunnergirl.com October 29, 2010 at 11:20 am

What a fun story! It reminded me of when I went in Hawaii. I totally agree, the scary part is right before you jump, after that it is all fun! Your pumpkin waffles look so good.
Janae @hungryrunnergirl.com recently posted..Pizza Pizza

25 Matt October 29, 2010 at 11:20 am

You went sky diving? AWESOME 🙂
Matt recently posted..The Rundown On Spelt

26 Gavi @ GaviGetsGoing! October 29, 2010 at 11:20 am

Wow, skydiving sounds AWESOME! My 21st birthday of wine-tasting seems so lame now. 🙂 And it definitely feels great to get in a little rest, especially at the end of a long week. I hope you have a great weekend!

27 Jess October 29, 2010 at 11:27 am

Wow! I don’t think I could ever do that, I am wayyyy to scared of heights!
Jess recently posted..Food Overload

28 Ali October 29, 2010 at 11:36 am

Wow, that’s so cool! Skydiving is definitely on my bucket list! Hopefully sooner rather than later. 🙂
Ali recently posted..Traditions

29 Maria @ runningcupcake October 29, 2010 at 11:39 am

Those waffles look amazing- I love how orange the pumpkin turns things 🙂
You are so brave to go skydiving- I hate the feeling of dropping so even rollercoasters are a no-no for me!
🙂
Maria @ runningcupcake recently posted..The M Word

30 katie October 29, 2010 at 11:43 am

sounds like an excellent wait to spend your 21st!

happy friday!
katie recently posted..Long days at work

31 Lizz @ Leading the Good Life October 29, 2010 at 12:05 pm

I went skydiving with my brother and it was awesome! I was so nervous that morning, but heavy cloud cover had us hanging out at the hangar for a few hours. We joked around with the instructors, got to see their planes, etc so I calmed down significantly by the time we went up. I was the first out of the plane and I really wasn’t that nervous! I think a lot of it was, ‘just don’t think about the jumping part, and try to enjoy the rest’ 🙂

The best part was after my brother jumped, our instructors got us close enough together that we were able to talk to eachother while in the air! It was so cool and oddly peaceful.
Lizz @ Leading the Good Life recently posted..The Great Pumpkin

32 Jaclyn October 29, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I think another jump at thirty sounds cool… ooooooooh i dk it sounds and looks like fun but i’m not sure i could actually do it, i may be too scared! 😀
Jaclyn recently posted..Seasonal Eats

33 Ali October 29, 2010 at 12:10 pm

You are bravvvveeeeeeeee! I am so afraid of heights the idea of that is crippling for me!
Ali recently posted..Fridge Crisis

34 kate October 29, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Sky diving is on my bucket list! One of these days!

35 kathleen October 29, 2010 at 12:19 pm

i had the same reaction when i went sky diving. it was very peaceful and serene. wasn’t expecting that at all.
kathleen recently posted..Is Autumn ever going to show

36 Krystina (Organically Me) October 29, 2010 at 12:42 pm

That’s awesome! I’d like to say I’d be able to do that, but I doubt it’d ever happen.
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..Sugar Cookies- The Old Fashioned Way

37 Sarah for Real October 29, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Crazy that you didn’t feel the stomach rush like on a roller coaster! Do you think that was just your experience or is that normal? I’d totally try it if there wasn’t that stomach feeling! Seriously!
Sarah for Real recently posted..Just One Thing- A Clothing Challenge

38 Heather October 29, 2010 at 1:17 pm

GAH! I would never, I mean, I am petrifiied of planes and of heights so that would not be a good mix for me! You are so brave! I think my mom would have passed out if I said I wanted to do something like that!
Heather recently posted..Temporary Home

39 Lisa October 29, 2010 at 1:22 pm

YIKES!!!!! You are braver than me! I couldn’t do that!

40 Balanced Healthy Life October 29, 2010 at 1:26 pm

You are brave! Just reading your story, I started getting a pit in my stomach! : )

41 Brittney October 29, 2010 at 1:28 pm

That’s SO COOL! I think I would do it, but I would be pretty terrified at the same time! Add one to the bucket list…
Brittney recently posted..Its A Beautiful Day In the Neighborhood

42 Alison (Ali on the Run) October 29, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Yay, skydiving is the best! I went in 2005, while I was studying abroad in Australia. I’ve been dying to go again but, like you, I’m waiting for the right “excuse” to do so. I recommend doing it somewhere different than where you did your first jump. What better way to see a new city than parachuting down to the ground?
Alison (Ali on the Run) recently posted..Sugar Is Not My Friend

43 jane October 29, 2010 at 3:26 pm

aaaah. i went skydiving in switzerland and it was terrifying! seeing these pictures made me relive it! for weeks afterwards i would bolt upright in the middle of the night dreaming about it. funny that you did a few practice jumps from the ground. where i went we signed a paper and went right on up!!! you are right, there is NOTHING like the feeling when that door opens. aaaah

44 emily October 29, 2010 at 3:57 pm

I’ve been skydiving too, I loved it! Maybe I’ll write up my experience at one point, I never even thought about blogging about it.
emily recently posted..Mexican x Dos

45 Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather October 29, 2010 at 4:06 pm

What a blast skydiving! I’d be way scared doing that.

Pumpkin waffles… mmmm Saturday morning treat coming to my kitchen soon!
Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather recently posted..Wednesdays Weekly Workout MiniChallenge: Squats

46 kristy @ ksayerphotography October 29, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Oh my goodness, you are 310 times braver than I am. I don’t think I could ever go sky diving, I like to stick with the idea that, if the plane is in full functioning order, there’s no reason I need to jump out of it 😛 I’m terrified of heights.

{ 1 trackback }