Halloween Spirit (or lack thereof)

by Meghann on October 29, 2010

It took me a few days, but I finally used the last of Sunday night’s rotisserie chicken in my lunch today.

IMG_4791

BBQ Chicken Pizza on a Tortilla

IMG_4782

This was just a tortilla slathered with bbq sauce, chicken, mushrooms, pineapple, and blue cheese then toasted under the broiler for a few minutes. Simple, yet delicious.

IMG_4779

Other meals that came from that one chicken?

That’s a total of 6 meals! AND not one repeated meal. Not bad. 🙂

IMG_4778

Some asparagus on the side rounded out the meal.

IMG_4790

I <3 Halloween!

As I posted yesterday, I was one of those kids who Trick or Treated well into her teens. I loved dressing up and going door to door for candy, just as much as I loved dressing up in college and going door to door for beer. 😉 There’s something about putting a costume on and pretending your something else for the evening that just screams good time. (I think this is also why I love themed parties)

hall2004 hall2005 hall2006  hall2007 hall2008 hall2009

And it’s not just the dressing up part either. It’s the whole spirit behind the holiday!

From carving pumpkins…

(2008 & 2009)

To being scared out of my mind at Halloween Horror Nights…

(2008 & 2009)

To stuffing my face silly of all things pumpkin flavored…

Halloween is just awesome! 🙂

With that being said, the big mystery remains… what do I have planned for Halloween this year?

question10

I hate to say it, but nothing. 🙁

Between running a marathon, training for another marathon, traveling for work, celebrating birthdays, and trying to keep my sanity; October somehow escaped me and the spirit of Halloween went with it.

2010 marks the first year I haven’t carved a pumpkin (and have no desire to), haven’t been to Halloween Horror Nights, wasn’t invited to a Halloween Party, and won’t be dressing up in a costume. (of course I’ve had no problems stuffing my face silly of all things pumpkin flavored 😉 )

It seems so strange. I mean, I LOVE Halloween, how did I let it slip through my fingers? and why don’t I care more? Sure, I could seek out a pumpkin to carve or dress up and find a random bar to celebrate at, but honestly I don’t feel like it. I would much rather stay at home in my PJs and snuggle with Derek and Maddie. I’m exhausted and sadly Halloween is just one of those things I had to ‘let go of’ this year.

I’m sorry Halloween! I promise we can hang out next year!

In the mean time Thanksgiving and Christmas are just around the corner and I PROMISE to not lose the spirit for either of those!

Family, Turkey, Stuffing, Peanut Butter Balls, and Pie! I’m alllllll over it! 😉

1 Liz October 29, 2010 at 3:04 pm

I had to give up Halloween weekend this year since my marathon is on Sunday, but I figure there will be plenty of more Halloweens to come. And you’re right Thanksgiving and all of its glory is right around the corner!
Liz recently posted..Marathon Training Complete!

2 Ryan October 29, 2010 at 3:05 pm

No halloween? WTF? I’m disgusted. =)

3 Alicia at Poise in Parma October 29, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Halloween is not my holiday of choice. On the other hand, it’s one of my husband’s favorites. He works for NASA and went to work dressed up like an astronaut today! He’s all giddy about carving his pumpkin tomorrow and handing out candy on Sunday!
Alicia at Poise in Parma recently posted..restaurant review- Wild Mango

4 Michele October 29, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Any chance that is Caitlin HTP in one of those pictures? 🙂

That’s okay; you will STILL enjoy your Halloween – costume or no costume! Have a great weekend!

5 Carolyn @ lovinlosing October 29, 2010 at 3:07 pm

I feel the same way! Halloween is one of my favorite holidays, but this year, other htings got in the way. I was too busy to decorate (though I might do it tonight for the trick or treaters) and haven’t even gotten a pumpkin despite selling them myself at church. :/ Next year!
Carolyn @ lovinlosing recently posted..Hearty Beef Stew &amp I Lost Weight!

6 Lauren @ Team Giles October 29, 2010 at 3:08 pm

I am right there with you Meghann, I love dressing up for Halloween… but this year I just don’t have much desire too. BUT I will say I do want to have some more PUMPKIN froyo. 🙂 Have a great weekend
Lauren @ Team Giles recently posted..Turtle Club Spot Light

7 katie October 29, 2010 at 3:10 pm

mmmh now im hungry for holiday meals
katie recently posted..Long days at work

8 Kelly October 29, 2010 at 3:13 pm

I skipped halloween three years ago. It was on a Wednesday and just went out to dinner instead.
Kelly recently posted..Have Mercy

9 Sarah for Real October 29, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Maybe I’m the grinch here, but I think you’ve just got more grown up interests that take priority now. I’m not into Halloween anymore and I don’t think I will be until I have kids to dress up. It is a kids holiday afterall.
Sarah for Real recently posted..Just One Thing- A Clothing Challenge

10 Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous October 29, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Bummer!! I also have no desire to carve a pumpkin. But other than that I am pumped.

11 Anne @ Your Kind of Salad October 29, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Meghann, I’m totally with you! Normally, I’m the first one in costume; but this year sort of got away from me (and my friends)! I plan on eating candy corn and watching a scary movie and calling it a Halloween success!

12 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat October 29, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I’ve never been much of a Halloween person, but I love seeing all the little kids in their costumes! I’ll probably just help my parents hand out candy to the trick or treaters 🙂
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..Plain View

13 michelle October 29, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I’ve never been big on Halloween… but I do enjoy horror movies and ghost stories
michelle recently posted..Flashback Friday South Korea version

14 Amanda October 29, 2010 at 3:49 pm

I think nothing’s wrong with a very relaxing pumpkin-filled costume-less weekend. Enjoy every minute of it!

15 Jaclyn October 29, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Love all your creativity with all the chicken dishes! … I have to ask, do you eat asparagus rawwwwwwww? <–yuck! 😉 heheh jk!

Omgosh i totally agree- noooooooo desire to carve a pumpkin. Well, maybe just so i can roast the seeds! And eat pumpkiny things.. oh wait, I already can (and do) do that!

Happy Halloween Meghann!

16 Meaghen October 29, 2010 at 4:06 pm

If I had to choose between giving up on Halloween or Christmas, it would have to be Halloween. I do love it, but not nearly as much as Christmas. I’m already excited for Christmas!!!!
Meaghen recently posted..These boots are made for dodging.

17 Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather October 29, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Choosing Thanksgiving and Christmas are an awesome choice. There is so much more family around and in my oppinion better food too 🙂
Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather recently posted..Wednesdays Weekly Workout MiniChallenge: Squats

18 Heather @ Side of Sneakers October 29, 2010 at 4:30 pm

You are THE best picture-poser ever. 😉 I need lessons.
Heather @ Side of Sneakers recently posted..Night Life

19 Meghann October 29, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Ha! What does that mean?

20 Heather @ Side of Sneakers October 29, 2010 at 5:25 pm

The way you’re standing in all of your pictures matches your costume…. I always look the same in every picture. I guess that made more sense in my head…. and not creepy like it sounds when I re-read that…. 😉
Heather @ Side of Sneakers recently posted..Night Life

21 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine October 29, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Halloween is the one holiday I could do without…it’s fun and all, but not a patch on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Enjoy your low-key holiday!!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Tempt-eh

22 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice October 29, 2010 at 4:41 pm

I love your past costume flashbacks. I feel the same way about Halloween this year. I would already have a costume planned out by now, but this year, I have no idea what I’m gonna be still.

23 Kacy October 29, 2010 at 4:43 pm

I won’t really be celebrating either, I’m so worn out. I think I will watch some horror movies though!

24 Kiran October 29, 2010 at 4:51 pm

You can make up for it in Thanksgiving and Christmas 🙂
Kiran recently posted..Chickpeas and edamame in coconut milk

25 Dori October 29, 2010 at 5:20 pm

I never do anything for Halloween. I think it is stupid. I also don’t want to see girls dressed like sluts. I think your plan for this year is wonderful, have a great time with Derek and Maddie!
Dori recently posted..My First Post-Injury Run!

26 Krystina (Organically Me) October 29, 2010 at 5:32 pm

I love 2008’s costume.
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..Sugar Cookies- The Old Fashioned Way

27 Jenny October 29, 2010 at 5:36 pm

I always forget how amazing it is to put pineapple on pizza.

Hope you have a nice relaxing halloween! Stock up on some candy corn!

28 Heather October 29, 2010 at 5:58 pm

the same thing happened with me this year! no party, no pumpkin carving which we ALWAYS do! in the middle of moving and hubby starting a new job it just didn’t happen. we didn’t even BUY a pumpkin this year! so sad.
Heather recently posted..Temporary Home

29 Macrae October 29, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Don’t give up so soon! Halloween isn’t until Sunday Night 🙂

(Even though I hate Halloween…I get scared way to easily)

30 Jason Sadler October 29, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Alright.. I’ll dress up for you on Sunday. What do you want me to be?

31 Ali October 29, 2010 at 7:17 pm

I have been feeling the same way about Halloween this year! I’m supposed to be going out with my boyfriend tomorrow but still don’t have a costume. It has snuck up on me!
Ali recently posted..Traditions

32 Elizabeth October 29, 2010 at 7:37 pm

I like Halloween but I consider it a warm up holiday for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I like knowing that once Halloween comes around it’s only a short time until the big holidays. But I am running my very first race this weekend so that’s something to look forward to.

33 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad October 29, 2010 at 8:28 pm

I was a Harry Potter school girl the past two years! My costume was quite similar to yours. I definitely tried yours on but it was so short! (I’m 5’9″). The one I ended up with was short too…but at least my booty was covered.

34 BroccoliHut October 29, 2010 at 8:29 pm

I had pineapple pizza for dinner tonight too! Great minds think alike:)

35 Allie October 29, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Love your pictures! I never thought of putting pineapple on bbq pizza, good idea 🙂
Allie recently posted..Friday!

36 Shannon, Tropical Eats October 29, 2010 at 10:03 pm

im not doin halloween either this yr =[ everythings too expensive!
Shannon, Tropical Eats recently posted..an ode to halloween

37 Amy K. @ Onehealthypeanut October 29, 2010 at 11:30 pm

Tortilla pizzas are the best! I just realized that I have not carved a pumpkin this year either…but with all the pumpkin I have been eating, don’t really feel like I have missed out!
Amy K. @ Onehealthypeanut recently posted..Perk You Up: Pumpkin Granola Bites

38 Alina (Duty Free Foodie) October 30, 2010 at 8:35 am

I never really got into Halloween as much as other people do. We didn’t have it in Russia (where I spent my childhood) and by the time I came to Canada, I was ten, so I was too old to get into trick-or-treating. But I am excited to buy chocolate for the kids tonight and eat the leftovers 🙂
Alina (Duty Free Foodie) recently posted..Where Your Issues At

39 Clare @ Fitting It All In October 30, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Sometimes I wish I could have lazy halloween like that with the BF…giving out candy to kids…but alas we’re going to a huge party in Tampa. Guess it won’t be too bad:(

You should check out my best friend’s Guest Post on my blog –she is ALL ABOUT trick or treating into your teens (and maybe 20s?)
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..LB’s Guest Post- It’s Halloween!