Trick or Treaters

by Meghann on October 28, 2010

Mornin’

Some thoughts on my morning thus far:

• When pressing the snooze button, one must make sure they are actually pressing snooze and not turning the alarm off. Oops…
  • The treadmills in my apartment’s gym are awful, but I am too lazy to drive to the real gym.
  • I will be canceling my gym’s membership. No point to have it if I haven’t been in two weeks and that place ain’t cheap!
  • Apparently my co-workers have caught on to my lazy girl routine. One asked if I had just rolled out of bed because my hair was still wet. Umm… nope. I actually showered over an hour ago, was just too lazy to blow dry.

I think that pretty much sums it up. 😉

The reason I was on the treadmill this morning was because Fartleks were on the schedule for today and I’ve found they’re best done in a controlled environment like a treadmill.

I completed 8 fartleks with a 10 minute warm up and 10 minute cool down before and after.

My breakfast (which I made and ate after my shower) was a lovely Pumpkin Smoothie in a Bowl.

IMG_4610

It had the usual Pumpkin, Pumpkin Spice, Ice, Vanilla Yogurt, Peanut Butter, Honey, Milk, and Granola topping, but something was missing. It was really bland and watery. Maybe not enough spice? Or enough honey? Hmmm…. big mystery here.

IMG_4594

IMG_4629

How old is too old to Trick or Treat?

I hate to admit it, but I was one of those teenagers who held on to trick or treating as long as she could. I distinctly remember going door to door when I was 15 collecting candy bars, chocolates, and other sweet treats from my neighbors with my younger cousins in tow. It helped that I was short and never looked my age. In fact, at 15 most people thought I was 12 or 13 and never batted an eye when I shouted the phrase ‘Trick or Treat!’ from their doorsteps.

But, that was me.

I was watching the Today show this morning when a segment came on about how some towns have set an age limit on trick or treaters. I didn’t even know they could legally do such a thing. According to those towns’ laws trick or treating is for children 12 years or younger and any child violating that law could face a $1000 fine. Yikes!

The reasons behind the law seems pretty reasonable to me, I mean would you want an intimidating older teenager knocking on your door with a mask on asking for candy?,  and in the two or three years those laws have been in effect not a single ticket has been issued (I personally think it would be a little hard to enforce the law). But, is the law fair? The people interviewed for the piece had mixed opinions.

If a similar law had been passed when I was a teenager, I would have been a little more than upset. I would have probably went trick or treating anyways just to defy their rule and see if I could escape being caught (I’m a rebel like that). Now, as I’m considered an ‘adult’ my opinions are also mixed. I think it’s rude when older trick or treaters show up at the door sans costume looking for candy, but if they still have the Halloween spirit and go all out, why crush their dreams?

What do you think? Should there be a policed cut off for trick or treaters?

1 Evan Thomas October 28, 2010 at 9:11 am

I trick or treated at 17 and I had not shame. I think fining adolescents is a bit ridiculous. What are they doing wrong? It’s not like a 15 year old who’s going trick or treating must have $500 laying around to pay in fines, anyway…

2 Sara K. October 28, 2010 at 9:11 am

Hahaha I trick-or-treated for the final time at age 16. Dressed as an M&M. I was very cool.

3 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 28, 2010 at 9:12 am

WOW I didn’t even know they could do that! I remember being 15 and trick or treating as well, but that was definitely my last year. I’ve always looked older than I am, so I’m surprised I even got away with it at 15! $1000 is pretty hefty!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Thanksgiving Take 3!

4 allison @ thesundayflog October 28, 2010 at 9:15 am

i watched the same segment today (love the today show haha) and i have mixed feelings. i 100% agree with the reasoning, but it’s kind of ridiculous to impose a $1000 fine on a CHILD in my opinion. what is the world coming to??

5 Karen October 28, 2010 at 9:19 am

I do that to my alarm all the time! I have to set 2 alarms – one is my main alarm and then a back up just in case. Sad but true… I think I stopped trick or treating around 13 or so. Who knew it was so regulated now? Ha ha.

6 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 28, 2010 at 9:20 am

I always turn my alarm off instead of snoozing. It’s getting bad, especially since the sun doesn’t rise until 8 these days
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..Fall Fun Weekend

7 Maria @ runningcupcake October 28, 2010 at 9:23 am

Here in the UK trick or treating does not have the same status as in the US. When kids are little they go and knock on doors of neighbours, but a lot of people never do it as it is seen to be a bit like begging, a bit intimidating (eg “if you dont give me a treat I will egg your house “or whatever), and not a traditional English festival. We celebrate 5th November with fireworks (when Guy Fawkes tried to kill the king) which I much prefer. If anyone knocked on my door (rare) unless I knew them I would not open the door as it is more likely to be people out for trouble. But fining kids seems a bit extreme!
Maria @ runningcupcake recently posted..Shopping

8 RJ October 29, 2010 at 5:06 am

Yeah in Scotland we call it “guising” not trick or treat and we had to sing, recite a poem, do a dance for some cash or sweeties. Dooking for apples is another big part of a Hallowe’en party. You have to remove an apple from a basin of water without using your hands-with your teeth! Apples were sacred to the Druids. All of these activities are linked to the old Celtic calender

9 Matt October 28, 2010 at 9:23 am

I think I stopped trick or treating when I was around 13. There should be a cutoff!
Matt recently posted..Eggs Part 6: The Perfect Poached Eggs

10 Brittney October 28, 2010 at 9:24 am

LOL! I totally went trick-or-treating as a teenager! I remember going as a hockey player with a bunch of friends. It was actually a blast!
Brittney recently posted..Running Falling and Veggie Lasagna

11 Kath Younger October 28, 2010 at 9:26 am

I think that law is awful!!! My “rule” is that the person has to be in costume. But can be any age!! I would SO go trick or treating this year if I thought others agreed with me. I think it’s unfair not to let adults have fun.
Kath Younger recently posted..Creative Juices

12 Julie @SavvyEats October 28, 2010 at 11:59 am

I like this rule. Costume = candy. No costume = no trick or treating for you!
Julie @SavvyEats recently posted..How I Spent The Afternoon

13 Andrea October 28, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I agree! I love holidays so I try to embrace them every year and not think negatively.

14 Jen October 28, 2010 at 9:33 am

This is ridiculous. A child is a child until they’re 18. So why are they picking some arbitrary age and preventing children from being children?

Of course this is coming from the girl who went trick-or-treating until her senior year in high school 🙂 Granted I grew up in a small town where everyone knew everyone else, and we had a strict 6 pm curfew.

Curfews seem better to me than age limits. Are police really going to card a 13 or 14 year old? Do they have identification? And what about when teens are chaperoning their younger siblings? Surely they deseve some candy for being such awesome big brothers and big sisters.
Jen recently posted..Is quitting really forever

15 Vikki October 28, 2010 at 9:33 am

I grew up in the country (the woods/swamp, really) I trick or treated until my mother stopped driving us to various friends and relatives houses which was around 11 years old. There are no streetlights on the farm so there is no walking after dark.

Living in the suburbs now, I hate teenage trick or treaters. I usually leave my candy outside for trick or treaters to get using the honor system. I’m inside the house right near the door usually. One year, I hear someone ransacking my candy dish. I am evil so I open my door and I see two young teenagers stuffing all the candy in their bags. I give them my scariest look (which is pretty scary as I’m the child of two teachers and I have that down pat) and tell them “You should leave some for others to share too.” They start emptying their bags into my dish. I had candy that wasn’t mine in there. I am evil.

16 Ali October 28, 2010 at 9:38 am

I definitely remembered trick or treating when I was in high school, at least up until my sophomore year. When I finally was considered “too old” to trick or treat, we would go to my friend’s house and hand out candy. That turned out to be fun too, but if someone had told me I had to stop at 12 or 13 I would have been very sad!!

17 Amanda Davis October 28, 2010 at 9:38 am

I think it seems a bit extreme to fine people for trick or treating over a certain age but I have to admit some teenagers who trick or treat are a bit intimidating so I understand the rational
Amanda Davis recently posted..Forgiveness

18 Amanda (Eating Up) October 28, 2010 at 9:40 am

I just hope trick or treating continues in general! I feel like our society is extra careful with everything these days, and I won’t be surprised if people stop doing it all together in the next twenty years.
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..CiderGlazed Chicken with Browned ButterPecan Rice

19 kim October 28, 2010 at 9:42 am

I am paying for two gym memberships (so about $80 a month) but only go to one. I added the 2nd because I moved ten minutes away from my first gym and I’m too lazy to drive to it. Now I go to the one that is literally across the street and my first gym won’t let me cancel — do you know of any way around it!? It kills me walking in once a month to pay that bill.
kim recently posted..pumpkin chocolate chip cookies

20 Laura October 28, 2010 at 11:38 am

Could you transfer your membership to someone else?
My sister had to do that with Golds Gym…

21 Jessica@tastyandtrim October 28, 2010 at 9:53 am

I think it’s hard to designate a cut-off because kids don’t look their ages at all anymore. Some of my younger sister’s friends look years younger than they are and some look so much older. Trick or treating is all in good fun though and as long as there aren’t adults running around stealing candy from kids and the trick or treaters are being respectful, than I don’t see a reason to set an age limit.
Jessica@tastyandtrim recently posted..Trader Joe’s Giveaway!

22 SaraRM October 28, 2010 at 9:56 am

I have mixed opinions on it but do think the law is ridiculous. I am all for dressing up and being part of trick or treating at any age but think the actual asking for candy part should be left for small children. Besides candy is NOT cheap. If you are walking with young kids have at it but to be 15 and go out with other 15 year olds is a little inappropriate. But then again if thats all their are doing and “staying out of trouble” whats the harm.

23 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe October 28, 2010 at 9:58 am

Come on…I understand the reasons why people wouldn’t want older teens trick or treating as they can be pushy and intimidating to the younger kids, but does there really need to be a law for it? It seems to me that a quicker way to ruin it for the young kids is for them to watch someone call the cops on a 14 year old who can’t present ID and shouldn’t have to prove their age or holiday spirit to a regular citizen.
Alayna @ Thyme Bombe recently posted..Preparing for the weekend

24 kathleen October 28, 2010 at 10:03 am

fartleks on a treadmill?!! interesting. i always thought fartleks were fun speed play. like, i am going to sprint as fast as i can to the next stoplight, then jog around for a while, then try to chase a car, then walk for a while…

i’m a pumpkin smoothie failure but perhaps it’s missing banana? i see a lot of bloggers putting banana in pumpkin oats.
kathleen recently posted..Is Autumn ever going to show

25 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) October 28, 2010 at 1:43 pm

My first thought was that your smoothie was missing banana (it makes a big difference) but then I remembered your dislike for nanas. Perhaps some protein powder would make it creamier?

You definitely need gobs of cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice…like abnormal amounts!
Allie (Live Laugh Eat) recently posted..Crazy Eight

26 Kiran October 28, 2010 at 10:08 am

Anyone should trick or treat if they are in a costume. Hey, adults should have their share of fun too 😀

27 Melissa October 28, 2010 at 10:20 am

Does your gym allow you to push your membership on hold or freeze it? If they do it might make more sense to do that than cancel. Do you think that after palm beach you will run as many days or do you think you’ll hit the gym more often? Just a thought! Oh and I was also a teenage who held out trick or treating as long as possible though it was much harder in the city because I need to find friends who lives in very large apartment buildings. Have a great day!

28 Cynthia October 28, 2010 at 10:22 am

I do not think there should be a law setting age limits for trick or treaters. I can’t even really see a rationale behind it. It seems to me that we try to force kids to grow up too quickly as it is. Is it really so bad if a 13 or 14 year old wants to still go trick or treating? They should get to have fun too! Let them be kids while they still can.

29 Corey @ The Runner's Cookie October 28, 2010 at 10:25 am

I’m pretty sure I went trick-or-treating until I was 13 or 14! That seems sad that the non-trouble-making teenagers don’t get to go if they want to

30 Sarah October 28, 2010 at 10:27 am

I love trick or treating! I can’t wait to have kids so I can go again…actually, I can wait (no babies for 5-7 years), but it will be super fun to go again! I guess in the mean time we can always hand out the candy 😉

31 Tabitha (From Single to Married) October 28, 2010 at 10:27 am

oohhh… interesting question. I’d say teenage, maybe 13 or 14? I worry about older kids who are out “trick or treating.” I’d be afraid they were more into the “trick” part of it!
Tabitha (From Single to Married) recently posted..Alone in a Crowd

32 Laura October 28, 2010 at 10:36 am

Personally, I think trick-or treating should be left for the younger ones, and when you get into high school, it just gets annoying to hand them candy. They intimidate the little ones, are sometimes rude and also loud.

33 Trish October 28, 2010 at 10:38 am

Actually, I think that once you understand the reasoning behind the law it makes more sense. It’s intended to keep teens from going up to houses because it can be frightening for single women and older people. My mom, for example, is 75 and she still loves to give candy out to the kids – but she would get very nervous to see teens coming up to the door. So the law is supposed to keep people safe – and I think looking at it from that view, it makes sense. Having a big teenager (or worse, a group of them) walk up to your door could be very scary if you’re old or a women by yourself in the house – more so if they are all wearing masks. So the law isn’t so much to punish the teens – but to make people who were feeling unsafe more comfortable.

34 Alina @ Duty Free Foodie October 28, 2010 at 10:41 am

I don’t know about a policed cut-off, but I see the point about older teenagers being potentially intimidating. I think depending on the teenager in question, it may or may not be cute. Oh, and I press “Off” on my alarm sometimes too! It’s a pain, but the good news is, I’ve conditioned my coworkers not to expect me to be in the office on time anyway.

35 Jess October 28, 2010 at 10:43 am

I think 12 or under is a little harsh….I was still very much a kid at 13 and 14 and I think would have been upset to not be able to trick or treat.
Jess recently posted..Weekends are a bit like rainbows

36 Nikki T October 28, 2010 at 10:44 am

I think as long as you are dressed up and not causing any trouble, trick or treat your heart out!!
I heard on the radio yesterday about a lady that trick or treated until she was 40!! She was less than 5′ tall, so no one was the wiser, but she always had a costume and that’s what its all about!

37 CMae October 28, 2010 at 10:49 am

I think the issue with older kids trick-or-treating is that they can stay out later than little ones. I don’t mind trick-or-treaters of any age coming at a reasonable hour — say, between 5:30 and 8:45. But I get ready for bed around 9:30, and I don’t want people knocking on the door!
CMae recently posted..Jupiter Presents: Pumpkin Practice

38 Biz October 28, 2010 at 10:49 am

My daughter easily trick or treated until she was 15 – she helped our neighbors trick or treat with their 4 kids – she dressed up though!

When my brother lived in Iowa – I thought they did it right – if you wanted trick or treaters – you left your front porch light on, if you didn’t, you kept it off.

Then you knew which houses to go to!
Biz recently posted..Wheres the Beach

39 Heather October 28, 2010 at 10:50 am

I think it is ridiculous! I trick or treated through my senior year of HS. and, as an adult, i still trick or treat in the Magic Kingdom at Mickey’s not so scary hallloween party….
I think if a group of older scary looking kids come to the door and you feel uncomfortable…just don’t answer the door! pretty simple without ruining everyones fun!
Heather recently posted..Home Gym

40 DPG October 28, 2010 at 10:51 am

Perhaps what matter is the age of the youngest person with you? Find some kids who need an adult chaperone, and go trick-or-treating with them!

41 DPG October 28, 2010 at 10:57 am

whoops! I meant “PERHAPS find some kids who…” I’ve never succeeded in doing this, but ahve always thought this would be a fun way to pretend to be a kid while, perhaps, making Trick-or-Treating possible for kid whose parents are busy working that evening…

42 Jessica @ The Process of Healing October 28, 2010 at 10:51 am

I can’t stand it when OLDER teenagers show up… buuuut at the same time, I can understand where they are coming from. It’s a tough situation.
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Let the Good Times Roll

43 AceRunn October 28, 2010 at 10:53 am

I think its ridiculous. For one, how are they going to enforce it? For two, where is a teen going to get $1000 and why punish their parents for letting their kids partake in the Holiday. As long as you are dressed up, you get to play.
AceRunn recently posted..Ode to the Monster

44 Beth @ DiningAndDishing October 28, 2010 at 10:57 am

I think there are better things for police to worry about enforcing than a ban too-old trick or treaters. The main priority on Halloween night should be keeping children safe and I think that’s a big enough job already!
Beth @ DiningAndDishing recently posted..The CO Canal Towpath

45 Anna @ History Running Girl October 28, 2010 at 10:58 am

I feel like 14 would be a little less ridiculous. That is around high school age. In 8th grade, we had to carry around a mechanical baby for a night. I had mine on Halloween, and I went trick or treating with it. It was hilarious. I also looked much younger than I was.

The museum I work at has a HUGE Halloween event, so I get to dress up again and see a lot of adorable kids. I’m excited.
Anna @ History Running Girl recently posted..Simple Food

46 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 28, 2010 at 10:59 am

I’m surprised they are able to do that. It seems a bit over the top. I think as long as someone still dresses up and is respectful, they should be allowed to get the candy. I went trick or treating through age 15 or so with a group of friends. I remember dressing up as The Spice Girls. LOL

I think kids naturally don’t have the interest to go trick or treating by a certain age. They want to do the parties, scary movies, haunted houses, etc. I don’t think there needs to be a law!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..roll me home

47 Kelly October 28, 2010 at 11:02 am

I think my last year of trick or treating was in 8th grade, and I think that’s a good time to stop. Once you hit high school there are usually other get togethers and parties.
Kelly recently posted..Have Mercy

48 Sarah for Real October 28, 2010 at 11:03 am

1. I’ve never in my life been trick or treating.
2. My parents tell a story about when they were in Germany and the parents would take kids trick or treating. Parents bring along a shot glass and get a “treat” as well. I’d trick or treat until I was 80 if that was the case.
3. That law is such a waste of time and money.
4. Those teens who still trick or treat make me sad. I don’t mind the ones helping out their younger siblings/cousins. But the ones that go out by themselves just show the lack of options available to teens and parental supervision.

49 jenny October 28, 2010 at 11:07 am

uhhhhh….im in college and i plan on going trick or treating. our professor even told us to swing by her house

50 Tracey October 29, 2010 at 12:36 am

Haha! I did that, too! I am short. So a friend and I would just borrow someone’s little kid and trick or treat, always in costume! I agree with others, as long as the kids are in costume and polite, who cares? I do remember two very big teenagers coming to my door one year, no costume and their voices were deeper than my husband’s. They freaked me out a little, because they weren’t friendly, but I’d never dream of imposing a ban based on age.

51 Ashley October 28, 2010 at 11:11 am

I think this law is silly! As long as you dress up and are respectful, who cares what your age is. It’s supposed to be fun!

52 Sarah @ Going on Goals October 28, 2010 at 11:15 am

I saw the same segment on the Today Show this morning and had the same thoughts. 12 is pretty young, and as long as the older kids go at a normal time I think it is fine. Plus, it is cute to see older kids trick or treat with younger ones.

I am also feeling the lazy girl routine. It is just a pain to blow dry your hair every morning you work out (which includes most weekday mornings)!

Lastly, I recently ran a 10 mile road race and have been dealing with IT Band Syndrome. Have you dealt with this before? Any suggestions?
Sarah @ Going on Goals recently posted..Cafe Luna and Drag Queen Race

53 Meghann October 28, 2010 at 11:21 am

I would say invest in a foam roller an google IT band stretches 🙂

54 Lee October 28, 2010 at 11:17 am

Eventually snickers and princess costumes gives way to leeloo and jello shooters

No worries

55 RunningOnCoffee October 28, 2010 at 11:17 am

I’ve had a couple of those days where I have turned off the alarm by accident…whoops! I never blow dry my hair. It’s curly – I scrunch and let it air dry.

I did go trick or treating a couple times in college– my college was set in the middle of a couple very well-to-do neighborhoods and they gave out some good candy! A lot of college students went. So I might have gone when I was 18 and 19. Before that, I probably stopped Trick-or-Treating around 14 or 15. I’m also short, and look younger than my age.

Does your gym have any crazy fees for cancelling? I know some gyms are outrageous. Luckily I am close to my grad school (<2 miles) and I am able to join for a semester at a time (or prorated if I join mid semester) at the alumni rate of $30 a month. I love not having to sign a year-long contract.

And your pumpkin pie smoothie in a bowl— it's missing some cinnamon! maybe a sprinkle of ginger! (as per Brittany's recipe on eating bird food).
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Brussel Sprouts

56 Meghann October 28, 2010 at 11:22 am

They don’t have any fees for canceling and it’s a month to month contract, but if I do cancel I would have to pay the sign up fees all over again. :/

57 Becca October 28, 2010 at 11:18 am

I saw an article on this the other day and my first thought was, “UNICEF????”
I know plenty of teenagers who participate in Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF!

I stopped trick or treating when I was… maybe 10? Though I did help out on Halloween night at church and dressed up as Dorothy from the Wiz when I was probably 12. (When I look back at that picture I cringe… Haha!)

I was talking to someone at church recently who said that her son (who’s about 10?) doesn’t WANT to dress up this year. Which is fine.

I mean, really? Where’s a teenager gonna get the money to pay the fine? The ones who have jobs won’t want to give up their money, and the ones who don’t have jobs will have to rely on their parents to pay–and the parents won’t be happy about it. =\
Why should the police worry about an age limit on Halloween when the more important thing is keeping people safe from vandalism and accidents and stuff? =\ I mean, I can understand the concern with older teens causing trouble, but as long as they’re not disturbing anything, can’t we let them have their fun? =\
Becca recently posted..sigh of relief

58 Julie @SavvyEats October 28, 2010 at 11:44 am

Good point on Unicef! I definitely volunteered to do the Unicef trick-or-treating in high school once or twice, and a lot of the houses gave us candy for volunteering as well… would the law discourage this?

59 Jenna H October 28, 2010 at 11:18 am

I think the law is ridiculous, but I think the older kids need to be respectful and THEN if they are not ban them or something. It might be nice for there to be something where older kids buddy up with younger kids and go as a group to keep everyone safe. I trick-or-treated until my freshman year of college, when I was 18. However, I am petite ( think 5’3 and A cups.) so without makeup, I looked very young, like you did. I’m 21 now and the other day I got asked out…by a 14 year old. He thought we were the same age. Fail.

60 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather October 28, 2010 at 11:20 am

I had never heard of such a law and it’s kind of ridiculous that there is even any kind of law put on Halloween. I don’t really like Halloween and try to avoid it but why ruin the fun for those that do?
Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather recently posted..Wednesdays Weekly Workout MiniChallenge: Squats

61 Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous October 28, 2010 at 11:40 am

I think I held onto the trick-or-treat spirit until about 15. From then on I always hosted the most badass Halloween parties. Woo!!

62 Susan October 28, 2010 at 11:46 am

I went Trick or Treating when I was 16. Except, we did it on the 30th, and filmed the responses we got from those poor homeowners as a joke. Thankfully, most people got the joke and we got some candy out of it too! 😉

I think small towns can get away with putting an age limit on it (I’m thinking of my 16,000 population hometown). But I live in a city of over 5 million now and there’s no way that sh*t would fly here. I’d like to say that it should be up to the parents to put their foot down about it, but I don’t think a lot of 16-year-olds actually listen to their parents! If I had a teenager, I’d be more concerned about them dressing like a slutty nurse than trying to get free candy 😛
Susan recently posted..Its Not All Sushi Boats

63 ida October 28, 2010 at 11:55 am

I think the law is a bit extreme, 12 seems really young to cut off trick-or-treating. But if the town has a history of teens acting out on halloween I can see why they would pass the regulation.

64 Lish October 28, 2010 at 12:04 pm

My town has a huge Halloween parade where you see lots of older kids getting candy because the last I heard either 12 or 13 is the trick-or-treating cutoff age. There’s no age limit on the parade, but the police who patrol it do make older kids and adults step back and let the little kids out front. I get that Halloween is traditionally a holiday for the kids, but seriously? The police really hassled a group of teens last year to make them vacate their spots for a family that came late. It’s like they’re asking them to go off and be bad, ya know?

I give candy to everyone on Halloween, costume or not, because I remember how much it sucked to be 14/15 and have to take my little brother out (in a costume at his request) and get nothing because I was over the age limit.

65 Whitney October 28, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Admittedly, I trick or treated into highschool — but those last few years, I’d go with friends and we had an elaborate song-and-dance routine we did for each house (my one friend is now a professional choreographer/dancer. Go figure!)

That said… I don’t like giving candy out to teenagers who don’t dress up OR who come in their school sport uniforms (and say, ‘we’re a basketball team!!’). Maybe it’s because I’m a grad student and broke as a joke, but, man… candy costs cash, kids! If you’re old enough to get a job, don’t be thinking that I’m tossing out candy for free, especially if you only thrust out your bag or hand and expect me to fill it with delicious goodies. I’ve never refused anyone, but I have been known to hassle some older kids about their costumes.

… a song and dance, however? That’s a different story. : )

I LOVE little kids and their cute costumes, though! So little! So cute!

66 Clare @ Fitting It All In October 28, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Love the bright orange color of your smoothie!!

And I love love trick or treating too, I just felt silly doing it as I got older. I think it’s a little ridiculous to put an age limit on it if the kids are honestly doing it for fun…but if its’ just to be annoying and get free candy without the Halloween spirit then that is no good!

67 Suely October 28, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I have teenagers knocking on my door every Halloween and its a little scary to have these guys in masks knocking on my door.
I don’t think a law like that is really enforcable though.

68 Marina October 28, 2010 at 12:44 pm

I’m still excited when I get a chance to dress up, so I think teens should be allowed to trick or treat too! I mean, yeah, maybe it can be scary, but come on, psycho teens don’t really dress up for halloween
Marina recently posted..the why’s and how’s

69 Grace October 28, 2010 at 10:10 pm

Sometimes they do!
Grace recently posted..Hello again!

70 Taylor October 28, 2010 at 12:59 pm

In my town, most high schoolers trick or treated all the way through school. It was partly because there was one rich neighborhood (particularly a group of streets) that gave out lb-size bags of M&Ms, king size bars, and the works. So the big kids SWARMED to this street – it was mad mad crowded…party!! I feel like some parents were schocked when us older kids rang the doorbell, but we didn’t think twice about it because it seemed normal to us. I think trick or treating is SO SO fun – mostly through high school. I loved running into people I knew, laughing, and having a good time. And it kept us out of trouble!! I think parents need to accept it’s for all ages 😉
Taylor recently posted..Long Lost Love

71 Maddi October 28, 2010 at 1:13 pm

im 16 and have never gone trick or treating. but i really want to this year, what will i tell my kids when i am older? that i have never trick or treated? no, not gonna happen, this year I AM going trick or treating! maybe take my lil bro and sis so it doesnt seem so weird! 😉
Maddi

72 dynamics October 28, 2010 at 1:30 pm

I understand their concern. Some teenagers are dangerous and intimidating. Maybe in that town it is a safety issue. I tell you, I had a grown adult come to my home and got mad when I would NOT give her a can of beer. I guess she was trick or treating for beer. I draw the line at that. Most of the older kids in my neighborhood usually came later which I think is considerate. Gives the smaller children a chance to enjoy the evening as they would typically start early.

73 Tracey October 29, 2010 at 12:38 am

I had a woman come to my door once. I said, “Excuse me?” She said she was trick or treating for her sick child. Um, go buy some candy, lady!

74 Lily's Health Pad October 28, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Frshman year of high school was my last year. But I would still be going today if it were more socially acceptable.

Have there been any reported incidents where someone has been hurt or a law has been broken when children over 13 trick or treat? The law just seems unecessary to m.e

75 katie October 28, 2010 at 1:36 pm

why does there have to law about literally everything. gawd America is such a downer sometimes.

katie recently posted..Long days at work

76 jenna October 28, 2010 at 1:45 pm

no way! that is awful! trick or treat til you want 🙂
jenna recently posted..Couldnt be happier

77 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine October 28, 2010 at 1:46 pm

There’s a huge difference between, say, a 15 year old dressing up and trick or treating with their cousins or family friends, and a group of 17 year olds trick or treating. I think as long as you’re doing it in the spirit of the holiday, with kids who actually SHOULD be trick or treating, then it’s fine. I trick or treated until I was 14, but not because of the candy- I just wasn’t really into boys or partying and I still loved to get dressed up!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..SnackplateSnackface

78 Anna @ History Running Girl October 28, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Same here about trick or treating while older!! I liked getting dressed up, but I was not into partying.
Anna @ History Running Girl recently posted..Simple Food

79 Lisa October 28, 2010 at 1:49 pm

I don’t think it’s a big deal either way. It’s a holiday for kids, but if teens want to do it too, let em!
Lisa recently posted..Popchips and a Giveaway

80 Amber from Girl with the Red Hair October 28, 2010 at 2:42 pm

That’s a tough one – I’m torn! I trick-or-treated until I was about 13-14ish, but it just wasn’t the same when I got older.

I could see why the law makes sense though, what if you’re an older woman (or man even) home alone. I wouldn’t want to open my door to a bunch of big 17-year-old boys (with masks on too boot!) when I’m home alone!

81 Laura October 28, 2010 at 3:30 pm

When I was in high school a friend’s mother told us, “If you’re old enough to grow hair on your armpits you’re too old to trick-or-treat!” haha

82 Meaghen October 28, 2010 at 5:02 pm

I did go trick or treating until I was 17 but I always put in an effort and dressed up. I also was always very polite to every house I went to. Now as an adult, most of the older kids I see have just thrown on a mask as a costume and cut across my lawn and never say please or thank you. I would have no problem with older kids trick or treating as long as they have clearly put some effort into their costume and treat me and my property with some respect.
Meaghen recently posted..These boots are made for dodging.

83 Thetreadmilldiaries October 28, 2010 at 5:51 pm

I seriously think time should be spent on putting laws in place that focus on more serious matters. Plus, I don’t see an issue in teens getting involved with Halloween if it’s good clean fun. I made the rounds while I was a teen and it was a blast.
Thetreadmilldiaries recently posted..Whey to Get Some Protein

84 Alyssa October 28, 2010 at 9:40 pm

I was forced by my friend to trick or treat at age 22. We were first year teachers and stopped when another friend saw one of her students – it was seriously so embarrassing. Like you said though, I don’t see any problem if teenagers are in costume and really just trying to celebrate Halloween. Nobody is forcing people to give out candy – if you don’t like it turn the light off!
Alyssa recently posted..New Years Resolutions

85 Grace October 28, 2010 at 10:08 pm

When I became of a certain age, it was embarrassing to be out trick or treating.

I had an incident one time where these teenage boys wearing half-assed costumes rode their bicycles up to my door and they were acting offensively. I just decided to play along and give them candy, but instead they knocked the entire bowl of candy out of my hands. They only left after I demanded they get off my property or I would call the police. That incident shook me up and really ruined my Halloween. I don’t really have a problem with most teenage trick-or-treaters (as long as they let the little kids have first dibs), but I don’t want to be opening up my door to kids like THAT.

Honestly though, I don’t think there should be a law restricting the age. But I do think there should be a law that every group of children under the age of 18 should be accompanied by a responsible adult.
Grace recently posted..Hello again!

86 Faith @ lovelyascharged October 28, 2010 at 11:50 pm

I never was allowed to go trick or treating as a child, and I went for my first (and only) time as a junior in college. Not going to lie, we had a blast and nobody said two words to us about being too old 😉 Gotta live it up!
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..High Protein Stuffed Mushrooms

87 Lorin October 29, 2010 at 12:44 am

I stopped trick or treating at 16 and I think that law is unfair. I wasn’t one of the obnoxious kids trying to just get free candy, I enjoyed feeling like a kid again for one night. I feel like they are making this law that is preventing a small group of people who maybe shouldn’t be going because they are annoying, but it is also effecting the teenagers who do simply enjoy it. Plus, I wasn’t into partying, so that was what I did with friends and if I didn’t have that, maybe I would have? If people don’t show up in costume though, then that is really annoying and rude and understandable to try to restrict those people from trick or treating.

88 Lacey @ Lake Life October 29, 2010 at 9:03 pm

I think that law is ridiculous! I say anything under 18 should be acceptable. I remember the last year I went Trick-or-Treating and I was 16. One woman opened her door then denied us, saying “Sorry, this isn’t for the older kids!” Pssh. I spent $50 on my costume that year! That should at least warrant a damn Tootsie Roll.