No love for the kidney bean

by Meghann on October 28, 2010

This past Sunday I made the mistake of going to the grocery store STARVING. I bought everything that sounded good at the time – including a container of the Publix Deli Chili.

IMG_4650

I guess I was craving chili at the time? Actually I’ve been craving chili for a while ( I LOVE chili), but it has been too warm to make my own large pot of it. This little container was a great solution until then.

IMG_4654

The chili wasn’t that bad. Not a whole lot of flavor, but it was chock with lots of veggies and meat. I also sprinkled some blue cheese on top just to give it a little pizzazz.

However, I’m realizing more and more I am NOT a fan of kidney beans. They’re chalky, dry, and too large of a bean for my taste. Sorry kidney beans, we just weren’t meant to be.

IMG_4639

I really wanted some bread for dipping and all I had in the fridge was a pita.

IMG_4643

It did the trick just fine.

IMG_4660

This morning I snacked on some nuts.

IMG_4634

Tonight is the first free night I’ve had all week (yippeee!!) I’m looking forward to cleaning, organizing, and catching up on my DVR. Free nights like these don’t come around very often, I must take advantage while I can! 🙂

1 Dave @ tips4running October 28, 2010 at 1:51 pm

My DVR just crashed a week ago and deleted all the things I planned on watching! Oh well. So you don’t like kidney beans??? I like putting Chick Peas in my Chili instead.
Dave @ tips4running recently posted..The Molly Seidel Interview with tips4running.com

2 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 28, 2010 at 1:52 pm

I know what you mean about free nights – I try to make them last as long as possible! I’m becoming more of a bean eater now that I try to eat a few meatless meals each week. Recently I made black bean & quinoa burgers and I wasn’t a huge fan of them but now I think they’re actually pretty good! I agree on the chalk factor with the kidneys though!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Thanksgiving Take 3!

3 Kelly October 28, 2010 at 1:53 pm

I love free nights during the week!
Kelly recently posted..Have Mercy

4 Marina October 28, 2010 at 1:53 pm

I love kidney beans, but sometimes they make my stomach scream in pain.
Chickpeas are the best 🙂
Enjoy your free night!
Marina recently posted..the why’s and how’s

5 Jasmine @ Eat Move Write October 28, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I love kidney beans! One of my favorite wraps contains kidney beans, broccoli, and hummus! It has so much iron!
Jasmine @ Eat Move Write recently posted..Naked Cooking Fail

6 Rachel October 28, 2010 at 2:12 pm

My mother always warned me not to go grocery shopping hungry! Do I always heed her advice? No. I make that mistake all the time.
Rachel recently posted..Cranberry conserve bright crunchy stowed away for winter

7 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 28, 2010 at 2:14 pm

What exactly is a “free night”?

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..Fall Fun Weekend

8 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 28, 2010 at 2:15 pm

What exactly is a “free night”?
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..Fall Fun Weekend

9 Emily October 28, 2010 at 2:19 pm

I’ve been craving chili, too – and well, the weather just isn’t cooperating. 83 degrees in October?!?!?! Yikes. Enjoy your free night.
I love love love cannelli beans – have you ever had those in chili? I might have to try out a white chicken chili with white beans and see what happens…
Emily recently posted..ummm- where’s fall

10 Leah @ L4L October 28, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Oh man! I think kidney beans are my FAVORITE bean because they are so meaty and delicious! I also love the nutty taste of garbanzo beans and the versatility of navy beans. I’m a bean lover all the way!

11 Heather October 28, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I am with you – not a fan of the kidney bean!

I love black beans and make my chili with them instead…
Heather recently posted..More Cream Cheese Please!

12 Amanda October 28, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I hate kidney beans! I can’t take the pop when you bite them and their mushy interior. Yuck!
Amanda recently posted..Galumpkis Recipe

13 kathleen October 28, 2010 at 2:23 pm

yeah, i too tend towards softer beans. black, navy, lentils. the ones that aren’t so “beany”. have fun tonight!
kathleen recently posted..Is Autumn ever going to show

14 Amy October 28, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Pita + chili is a great idea! Looks yummy.

My favorite favorite favorite are canellini beans. I would add them to everything I eat if I could. Oatmeal? Ice cream? Bananas? I say yes.
Amy recently posted..consolation prize

15 Balanced Healthy Life October 28, 2010 at 2:26 pm

I love making homemade chili! I can’t wait until the weather gets colder to whip up a big crockpot full of it! The Husband and I always make it together as traditioin each year!

16 Hope October 28, 2010 at 2:31 pm

I have phases where I like kidney beans, then dont, then i do, then I dont lol!

Yay for a free night, I love those!

17 Silvia October 28, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Beans! Came around to only use dried beans now (from the bulk variety at Wholefoods), soak them over night, and cook them for 45min with a bay leaf and garlic clove. Their texture and taste are so much better, from kidney, cannellini to chickpeas and black eyed peas. Nothing chalky and mushy here! (and no sodium either). We don’t really know the texture of well-cooked legumes anymore because we are so used to buy them (totally overcooked) in cans.
Silvia recently posted..Guest Blog- The Chef and the Chicken

18 Jenna Mock October 28, 2010 at 2:37 pm

I love chili! The white bean chicken chili from Ruby Tuesday is so good! I do wish it would get a little colder in Jacksonville though so that I can make my gma’s veggie chili.
Jenna Mock recently posted..Worst Call Ever Ticket To The Second Power

19 Gavi @ GaviGetsGoing! October 28, 2010 at 2:41 pm

I actually love kidney beans, especially white kidney beans (cannelini beans). I love making chili with kidney beans and veggie soy crumbles. I find their texture so much more interesting than black beans or chickpeas, but you know what they say–to each her own! 🙂 Enjoy your free evening!

20 sweetersalt October 28, 2010 at 2:42 pm

I’m a fan of all beans, but I have to say I like pintos over kidney beans. They’re a little smaller and creamier.

Laura
sweetersalt recently posted..Pumpkin Peanut Butter Dog Cookies

21 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine October 28, 2010 at 2:46 pm

I love chili, but to be honest I’m not a huge bean person in general- they have to be really well flavored for me to enjoy them!!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..SnackplateSnackface

22 Sarah for Real October 28, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Your hate for the beans might have been their preparation. The texture ends up differently depending on if they used dry beans or canned beans, if they soaked the dry beans first, etc. I think beans are like meat in that the preparation is key!

23 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) October 28, 2010 at 2:56 pm

I am not a fan of kidney beans either! I agree they are chalky and too dry. When I make my own chili, I use black beans, cannellini beans, and/or pinto beans.
Michelle (The Runner’s Plate) recently posted..Diminishing Daylight

24 Jaclyn October 28, 2010 at 2:56 pm

There is something just so wintery / fall (ey) about chili, no?? I think the addition of pita is perfect – maybe even better than bread? 🙂

I can tell you’ve been adding more healthy fats into your meals and snacks – something I have been doing also – and wonder if you feel more satiety, better energy,e tc.. it’d be interesting if you could discuss that in your next post!

Take care girl!
<3 Jac
Jaclyn recently posted..Seasonal Eats

25 Meghann October 28, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Thanks for noticing. 🙂 I’m going to give it a week or two trial and see where I’m at before I blog about how I feel. But great idea!

26 Flora October 28, 2010 at 4:34 pm

I really don’t intend this to be patronising or rude,and I’m sure you already know this, but, unless you increase your overall calorie intake it doesn’t really matter whether you increase the amount of fat/ protein/ whatever. I do not mean this from the perspective of a dieter (where it does make a difference) but from that of someone who has lost their periods and wants to establish whether this is caused by diet. Your body needs a certain amount of fuel to keep everything going and it will burn whatever you give it (protein carbohydrates etc) and so if you were eating too few calories for your body to menstruate and you don’t increase the number of calories you eat but increase the amount of fat (to the detriment of something else) nothing is likely to change. Your body needs more calories and fat. I think anyway. Again, only trying to help.

27 Meghann October 28, 2010 at 4:41 pm

I understand the need to help and I want to let you know that I am working with an RD on my diet needs. 🙂 I’ll be sure her voice is heard on here as well and her opinions given.

28 Flora October 28, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Ok great. It’s just that as a doctor, i can’t help myself!!

29 alison October 28, 2010 at 2:56 pm

My husband eats kidney beans like they’re going out of style. They’re not my absolute fave ( I love chick peas!) but I like them ok. Enjoy your free night!
alison recently posted..Look Mom- No Cracks!

30 Jessica @ The Process of Healing October 28, 2010 at 3:00 pm

I loove kidney beans.. but big lima beans are my favorite. I used to DETEST all beans though, something about the texture.
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Let the Good Times Roll

31 Shayla October 28, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Hey Meghann! Random question, but I wanted your opinion on something….I’ve read twice now that if you work at an office desk all day long, that one should stand up every hour for at least 5 minutes. They say you should do this even if you’re physically active everyday. I have an 8-5 desk job and I get my gym workout in about 6 days a week, but I admit I don’t stand up every hour. Knowing that you have a desk job, I wanted to ask you what you’re thoughts are on this and if you consciously try to get up and move around the office? Thanks!

32 Meghann October 28, 2010 at 3:34 pm

I have a small bladder and get up to use the restroom alot, does that count? 🙂 I also play the tricks of walking to co-workers instead of e-mailing or printing from the printer on the other side of the building just to get a couple extra minutes of walking in.

33 Shayla October 28, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Great tips! Thanks Meghann! And I definitely agree that restroom breaks count!! I’m the same way! 🙂

34 AceRunn October 28, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Hey, what are your favorite “go to” nuts to mix for a snack? Or do you buy them pre-mixed?
AceRunn recently posted..Ode to the Monster

35 Meghann October 28, 2010 at 3:35 pm

I like cashews, almonds, and peanuts. I usually buy the packets individually and mix it myself. the nuts up above were from some packaged nut samples from HLS. I think it was sesame almonds, honey roasted cashews, peanuts, and dried cranberries.

36 Matt October 28, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Black bean chili is the only kind I will eat!
Matt recently posted..Eggs Part 6- The Perfect Poached Eggs

37 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather October 28, 2010 at 3:48 pm

I love kidney beans! Girl how do you not like em? They’re kinda sweet to me.
Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather recently posted..Wednesdays Weekly Workout MiniChallenge: Squats

38 Alexandra October 28, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I love your blog but, oh my gosh, the mistakes drive me bonkers- they are distracting! It’s “chock-full” not “chalk with” (and too warm, not to warm).

39 Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher October 28, 2010 at 7:15 pm

I’m actually more forgiving.
We’re humans. We makes mistakes.
Typos don’t bother me unless I’m the teacher grading your paper 😉

40 Kiran October 28, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Have you tried any other versions of chili, without red meat? Chicken is fine. Can you recommend where can i get some coz I’ve never tried chili and I am not a pork or beef eater 😀

41 Lisa (bakebikeblog) October 28, 2010 at 4:20 pm

I am the opposite – I LOVE kidney beans 🙂
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Wedding adventures – part 1

42 Katy (The Singing Runner) October 28, 2010 at 4:26 pm

I love kidney beans. but I don’t like chili…. is that weird?
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Sunbutter taste thesun

43 katie October 28, 2010 at 5:37 pm

that looks like a MASSIVE tub of chilli! and i do that all the time at the grocery store. some times i make sure to have a granola bar while im shopping so my mind things ooo im eating its ok i wont buy 45 bags of pita chips

katie recently posted..Long days at work

44 Thetreadmilldiaries October 28, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Oh I love kidney beans. I could (and do) eat them straight of the can, in a simple salad, in stews & chili, or in whatever.

Enjoy your free time 2night.
Thetreadmilldiaries recently posted..Whey to Get Some Protein

45 Lauren October 28, 2010 at 8:09 pm

Kidney is definitely my least favorite of the beans. I think Chic Peas would rank first, followed with black beans as a close second. But I agree, Kidney aren’t that great.
Lauren recently posted..TrickorTreat Jersey Style

46 RunningOnCoffee October 28, 2010 at 8:11 pm

I’m also a fan of multigrain tortilla chips with my chili!
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Brussel Sprouts

47 RunningOnCoffee October 28, 2010 at 8:12 pm

(as an alternative to bread/pita)
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Brussel Sprouts

48 BroccoliHut October 28, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Totally agree on this! I rely on beans a lot for my protein, and whenever I open up a can of kidneys I am totally stumped for recipes. I just don’t really like them, and they don’t spark any culinary creativity as a result!

49 Alyssa October 28, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Totally super random, but I have had this in the back of my mind for a few days. You posted last week (two weeks ago?) about not liking cottage cheese– I used to HATE it, until I bought the low fat or full fat kind. I know you’re trying to add more fat into your diet and this is a great way to do it– I recommend getting Breakstone 1% “whipped” (it makes it even creamier), or full fat. Seriously. It’s. So. Good. And not THAT many additional calories!

50 Mary @ Fervent Foodie October 28, 2010 at 9:52 pm

I HATE kidney beans too!!! No one else understands this!

51 Meaghen October 28, 2010 at 11:00 pm

I’m not really a fan of beans in general. Actually, I only like kidney beans in chilli. And I like black beans in burritos, but that’s pretty much it. They always taste so dry to me!
Meaghen recently posted..These boots are made for dodging.

52 Faith @ lovelyascharged October 28, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Every time I think I have a free night, I remember something else I have to get done :/ I’m beyond due for some lazing!!!

53 Courtney October 29, 2010 at 8:57 am

I’d be a bit worried about the sodium content, but that’s typical for most soups!
Courtney recently posted..How to Buy Makeup that Reflects Your Ethics Logic and Pocketbook