Cliff Notes

by Meghann on October 27, 2010

So many things I want to blog about and so little time to do it in!

Here’s a Cliff Notes version:

• Have you heard about the latest piece of drama to blow up over at Marie Claire? Without linking to the piece (driving traffic is what they’re after at this point) the jist is one of their freelance blogger wrote a very disgusting piece on how uncomfortable it is for her to watch ‘fatties’ ( I shudder at that word. That word in itself is enough to leave a sour taste in my mouth.) making nookie on tv. Instead of ranting and raving on here (trust me I could go off) I like Carly’s idea much more. Check out her post on skipping Marie Claire and writing directly to their advertisers on how we’re fed up with Marie Claire’s antics.
  • The Garmin Forerunner 205 is one of the gold deals at Amazon today and is on sale for only $98!!! If you’re looking for a great early Christmas present for your favorite runner – this is it! I had a few e-mails asking the difference between the 305 (the one I have) and the 205 and as far as I know the main difference is the 305 comes with the HRM and the 205 doesn’t. Since I do not use the HRM anyways I would save some money and buy the 205 for that steal of a price!!
  • If you look to the right —> you’ll see where I fixed the e-mail subscriptions widget. You should now be able to subscribe to e-mail updates with out a problem! 🙂
  • Also, I fixed the FAQ page up above ^. Let me know if you have any problems.

Ok. I think that’s it. 🙂

Morning Snack: Applesauce + Granola

IMG_4543 IMG_4545

Lunch: Sweet Potato + Chicken + Salsa + Plain Yogurt

IMG_4560

I’m slowly making my way through that chicken! This was an easy and really filling combo. Took two minutes to put together during my lunch break – love meals like that.

IMG_4552

IMG_4556

Alright, gotta jet!

1 Evan Thomas October 27, 2010 at 2:50 pm

I saw that article and thought it was upsetting. At least the author had the sense to go back and apologize? I think that action means more than the whole piece, and a certain other Marie Claire writer should learn from it.

2 grocery goddess jen October 27, 2010 at 2:52 pm

I did go read that Marie Clare article earlier in the day, and the woman who wrote it apologized below the piece and mentioned that she had suffered from anorexia and has an obsession with being thin. That said, I think what she wrote is hurtful and awful, but with her opening up about her struggle with an eating disorder, I can see how her screwed up mental process made her think it was okay to write something like that. Sigh, I get so fed up with all of this. Why can’t we all just love our bodies and be free from judgment of ourselves and others? Okay, okay, that’s a pretty lofty goal 🙂 But it would be nice if things were that way!
grocery goddess jen recently posted..Carbs Can Come Cheap

3 Allie October 27, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Marie Claire has gotten out of control, that article was awful. Love applesauce and granola!
Allie recently posted..Taco Heaven

4 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 27, 2010 at 2:58 pm

I think the response that the blog community is having to the recent Marie Claire article will make the magazine think twice before publishing something similar again. Regardless of the author’s prior experience, it should have been predicted that it would result in a ton of backlash and hurt feelings. I don’t plan to give the mag’s website any more traffic!
On a happy note, I LOVE your lunch!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Thanksgiving Take 3!

5 Mary October 27, 2010 at 2:59 pm

I read the article too the other day and I was so appalled. At least she did appologize but I feel like lately they’re batting 1000 with the healthy living blogger community.
Mary recently posted..Love yourgirls

6 Sana October 27, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Sigh. Moving on.
Sana recently posted..My Kinda Salad

7 Kelly October 27, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Saw the article too, wasn’t really all that shocked after what they published about you guys. That is a great deal for the Garmin though.
Kelly recently posted..Have Mercy

8 Lauren October 27, 2010 at 3:07 pm

I thought this response from The Bloggess was so perfect and poignant in response to the article: http://askthebloggess.pnn.com/13150-the-front-page
And, I bought a Garmin 🙂 – thanks for the heads up on a great deal!

9 michelle October 27, 2010 at 3:09 pm

I’m going to check out the article. Thanks 🙂
michelle recently posted..I want more followers

10 Jess @ dalyauthenticity.com October 27, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Meghann, Thank you SO much for posting about the Garmin sale! I have asked for it for Christmas and I just texted my hubby and told him about the great steal today! I hope he gets it 🙂

11 gina@concierge4mom October 27, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Great deal on Garmins!! Love mine and has helped me train for so many races. Your lunch looks delish by the way!!! Love it!

12 rebecca lustig October 27, 2010 at 3:17 pm

the article is so disheartening. I was immediately appalled and disgusted. it’s such a shame this what people in our society today are thinking and believing.
rebecca lustig recently posted..Bonjour i miei amici.

13 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat October 27, 2010 at 3:21 pm

That Marie Claire article was another horrible piece of writing. Although the only thing that slightly redeemed it in my eyes was that it came off as an opinion piece, unlike Marie Claire’s last horrible article. I’m all for people sharing their thoughts, but I don’t think Marie Claire should be publishing or paying people to write junk like that.

As for the blogger, while it was nice she apologized, she should have realized how caustic her post came out to be. People have negative thoughts about themselves and others (we can’t prevent that), and we all have free speech to say what we think about a topic. But we all have to deal with the backlash when someone doesn’t like what we write. She should have been more prepared for that.
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..Friday Funk

14 Lily's Health Pad October 27, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Who is doing the editing at MC? Obviously no one. And obviously they want to create waves. Marie Claire is turning into Star magazine.

15 ida October 27, 2010 at 3:23 pm

I think the article was written for shock value, and it worked.

16 Nicole October 27, 2010 at 3:24 pm

While I think it is absolutely your right to write into Marie Claire if you don’t agree with them, I think it is very naive of you to want to take them down from the inside, or outside with their advertisers. Many bloggers preach rightfully so that if you don’t like what they are writing, don’t read it. This is true for Marie Claire too. You need not attempt to destroy them because you don’t agree with them. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, I think it’s time to let go and move on.

17 Meghann October 27, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Excellent point Nicole.

18 D October 27, 2010 at 5:01 pm

EXCELLENT point. 100% agree. I would love to hear some of the more prominent bloggers respond to your observation!

The majority of bloggers display very hypocritical reactions when it comes to issues like this. Two wrongs don’t make a right – live, and let live.

19 kelly October 27, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I had a sweet potato for lunch too! But mine was topped with bbq sauce, ketchup & chili beans (which I bought on accident, but were actually quite tasty!).
kelly recently posted..Blogiversary questions answered Part 3

20 Alyssa October 27, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Here’s a non-Marie Claire link to her post, it’s a news article on Huffington Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/27/marie-claire-stands-by-sh_n_774727.html

21 Amy October 27, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Thanks for linking to that. The thing that pisses me off (maybe more than the blogger’s insensitive and stupid article) is the phrasing both she and Joanna Coles uses: “An anorexic.”

OMG a person is not an anorexic. They are anorexic or they have anorexia. For the love of God, Marie Claire, PLEASE stop hanging these kinds of labels on people! Having an eating disorder is not like being “a runner” or “an athlete” or “a bookworm” or “a knitter”. It’s a mental illness.
Amy recently posted..consolation prize

22 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 27, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Ah Marie Claire getting bloggers in a huff again.

I’m not touching that one
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..Fall Fun Weekend

23 Alicia at Poise in Parma October 27, 2010 at 3:57 pm

I’m so over all the women’s magazines out there. I’m about to let all my subscriptions expire. Between “The Hunger Diaries” and this new article, I guarantee I will never purchase a copy of Marie Claire ever again.

Thanks for the heads up on the Garmin, and the info between the 305 and the 205. Looks like Christmas will be coming early for me!!!
Alicia at Poise in Parma recently posted..CLE Blogger Dinner at Lalbatros Brasserie Bar

24 Corey @ The Runner's Cookie October 27, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Thank you for the tip on the Garmin!! It’s on my xmas wish list 🙂

25 Hope October 27, 2010 at 4:15 pm

What happened to Marie Claire? I thought they used to write about things that actually mattered…*sigh* moving right along…
Yum, apple sauce!
Hope recently posted..A work in progress

26 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) October 27, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Thanks for posting about the Garmin being on sale on Amazon. I love a good deal!
Michelle (The Runner’s Plate) recently posted..Diminishing Daylight

27 Beth @ bride in the little white dress October 27, 2010 at 4:33 pm

I saw this posted somewhere else (Huffington Post I think?) and x-ed out of it after reading a few sentences. I didn’t realize it was from Marie Claire…..this is seriously making think about canceling my subscription with them. 🙁

28 Lisa (bakebikeblog) October 27, 2010 at 4:44 pm

my oh my – what IS Marie Claire doing at the moment?! CRAZY!!!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Wedding adventures – part 1

29 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe October 27, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Can’t believe MC thinks that this is what their readers want from them.

Also, thanks for the Garmin tip, I’ve been in the market for one……so I bought it! What a steal!
Alayna @ Thyme Bombe recently posted..Preparing for the weekend

30 Lish October 27, 2010 at 4:54 pm

It just saddens me to think that there really are people out there with this point of view. As if fat or obese people don’t deserve to be happy and in love? Ridiculous! I’ve seen Mike & Molly and although it did get on my nerves with all the fat jokes, it’s not a bad show nor is it disgusting to watch.

31 D October 27, 2010 at 5:17 pm

She didn’t say they don’t deserve to have love. Her opinion was probably better kept to herself, but that’s not what she actually said.

32 Lish October 27, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Yes, but she said she didn’t want to see fat people with rolls kissing each other and would be grossed out. She’s saying she’s not grossed out with seeing skinny TV characters express their love but is grossed out by overweight characters.

33 Amy October 27, 2010 at 4:54 pm
34 Rachel October 27, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Thanks for the tip on the Garmin! I’ve been thinking about getting one and this deal might be the motivation I need.
Rachel recently posted..Cranberry conserve bright crunchy stowed away for winter

35 RunningOnCoffee October 27, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Not going to support MC by going to their site, but if I understand correctly – they are now criticizing people for being too fat?

After previously saying “the big six” bloggers promote people to be unhealthily-thin?? And disagreeing with someone’s statement about the majority of the country being overweight/obese??

Let TV portray people of all different shapes and sizes on TV instead of all stick-thin actresses! MC needs to figure out where they stand on this.
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Brussel Sprouts

36 Lee October 27, 2010 at 9:41 pm

MC is not your friend MC is just out to stuff the bank account as much as possible

37 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine October 27, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Ugh, don’t even get me started on the Marie Claire thing, I already posted on their FB wall and it’s just stupid. They’d already lost my readership anyway.

I saw your tweet about the Garmin this morning and all I can say is THANK YOU!! I immediately ordered one for my BF’s birthday 🙂
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..No it’s a scuffin

38 Amy October 27, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Thank you, thank you! I just ordered the Garmin!

39 Courtney October 27, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Uff, Marie Claire needs to get it together. Terrible magazine. Your lunch looks good! 😀
Courtney recently posted..Nearly Halloween

40 Balanced Healthy Life October 27, 2010 at 7:10 pm

I can’t believe the antics over at Marie Claire. It’s really disgusting.

41 Jessica@tastyandtrim October 27, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Marie Claire just continues to disgust me. Why spend time publishing such one-sided, harshly opinionated articles? It’s clearly not going to gain dedicated readers, and the publicity it creates is all negative.
Jessica@tastyandtrim recently posted..Trader Joe’s Giveaway!

42 chandra October 27, 2010 at 8:29 pm

I kind of want to kiss you right now for posting about the Garmin deal! I probably shouldn’t have impulse purchased it, but I’ve wanted one SO bad for SO long now and I KNOW I’ll get good use out of it! Now I need to go work for a couple hours to pay for it. 🙂
chandra recently posted..Pumpkin Therapy

43 Katharine October 27, 2010 at 9:43 pm

MC must be really desperate for readers. Each month they are finding a new sector of the population to offend. You are right Meghann, we shouldn’t visit their site or like them on FB just to add a comment…for them, any press is good press!

Thanks for the info about the Garmin! I didn’t know the HRM was the only difference.

44 Brandi October 27, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Thanks for the Garmin heads up and you advice. I went ahead and got it since I do not like wearing a heart rate monitor while I run. I am so excited for it to come in! I have had it on my wish list for over a year!

45 Jessica @ Jessica Balances October 27, 2010 at 9:53 pm

I read that Marie Claire blog post and, honestly, I don’t necessarily agree with what the author wrote but she had NO obligation to be fair and balanced (UNLIKE the article on the “Big 6” – that article was a sorry excuse for journalism). While the blogger may have been insensitive, she did apologize – not that an apology was necessary, because she was just giving an opinion, and, since she was blogging, expressing her opinion was just fine.

I guess I’m trying to say that I don’t think that the blog post is such a big deal. But, if I were in your shoes, everything that magazine ever did from here on out would make me mad and I get that. I just think we should appreciate diverse opinions, express our own and just take a deep breath and move on.

Anyway – I appreciate that you shared the information so I could find the blog post and, as always, I appreciate your opinions, too. 🙂

46 Leeanna October 27, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Thanks for the tip on the Garmin Forerunner!!! Was wanting one for my birthday next month and decided to order it early to get the good deal!!
Love following your blog!!!

47 Lena October 27, 2010 at 10:58 pm

I am very curious about the Garmin – does anyone know of any compatibility issues with a mac?

48 Kiran October 27, 2010 at 11:56 pm

Marie Claire needs lesser of attention from the blogging world. They are despicable!

I always love a 2 minute healthy and quick lunch. Are you free to meet up for a bite or drink before Foodbuzz since you can’t make it for dinner on the 5th? DM on twitter 🙂
Kiran recently posted..Orange and cranberry bread

49 Lacey @ Lake Life October 29, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Your topped sweet potato looks great! Is that black bean salsa that you used?
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..Down with the sickness