more ยป" />

Maddie says Hello

by Meghann on October 25, 2010

I don’t know how your puppies are, but when I’m away for a while Maddie likes to fill me in on her days.

Here she is telling me all about the adventures her and Scooby had over the weekend at my parents’.

Sounds like she wore Scooby out chasing squirrels and playing tug of war. I’m pretty sure Scooby was happy to see Maddie’s ball of energy leave so he could return to sleeping all day. ๐Ÿ™‚

This afternoon I fought rush hour traffic to retrieve the talkative Maddie from my parents’. They have been really great with watching her during my crazy traveling schedule the last couple of months and I’m really thankful to have them so close to be able to do so.

Before I left I had a delicious AllieBar at my desk.

Allie was kind enough to restock my stash this past weekend. Now I just need to pace myself and savor each bar, otherwiseI wouldn’t be surprised if I ate all the bars this week. ๐Ÿ™‚

One of the best parts about going home is having the opportunity to enjoy my Dad’s cooking.

He never disappoints with delivering on good eats. I had requested something warm and comforting for dinner and he more than pulled through with a delicious Chicken Pot Pie.

My Dad is a lot like me where he doesn’t follow recipes. He gets an idea in his head of what he wants and just understands which flavors work well together to execute it to perfection.

I did do my part where I could. Placing the crust into a pan is a tough job!

So pretty and Fall like.

I’m happy to report I walked away with at least one of my Dad’s many secrets..

instead of a wash of egg whites, he drenches the top of the crust with half and half. This ensures a rich, flaky, golden crust.

All done!

I enjoyed a generous helping while watching Sunday’s episode of Amazing Race with the family.

So good! I think the fact that I talked my Dad out of adding the peas made it even better. Peas are yucky, sweet potatoes and corn are good! ๐Ÿ™‚

I had a package of goodies waiting for me when I arrived home from the lovely Amanda, who was kind enough to send me some goodies from a food fair she attended over the weekend.

Amanda is some sort of packing genius because somehow this this Sugah Stix survived the so many thousand mile journey.

Impressive!

Of course, I couldn’t let it be that way for long. I cut off the end and added it to a small serving of ice cream for dessert.

Thanks Amanda!! I owe ya! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Time to catch some Zzzzsss.

Good Night!

1 Dori October 25, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Maddie is so adorable, I love her! I wish I had people sending me food in the mail.
Dori recently posted..How I Fought a Cold in One Day

2 Ali October 25, 2010 at 10:30 pm

That’s how my dog is when we come home from being anywhere! Too funny. And yum, that chicken pot pie looks delicious–parent’s home cooking is the best!
Ali recently posted..New Challenge

3 Ash Bear October 25, 2010 at 10:31 pm

Your dad’s dinner looks delicious! This would make the perfect comfort food meal soon! ๐Ÿ™‚
Ash Bear recently posted..Why and How Iโ€™m Running the NYC 2010 Marathon

4 heather @ dietitian on the run October 25, 2010 at 10:41 pm

Mmm, cream-topper on the crust? M&M Padre is a smart one! ๐Ÿ™‚

5 Amy K. @ Onehealthypeanut October 25, 2010 at 10:48 pm

That pot pie looks incredible! And I love your tiny ice cream bowl, precious!
Amy K. @ Onehealthypeanut recently posted..Massage

6 Hope October 25, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Oh man, that video clip is so cute!!! I love how Scooby just stands there!
My dad is a whiz in the kitchen just like yours – like he’ll use the weirdest combinations that somehow turn out really good! That pie looks great!
Hope recently posted..A work in progress

7 Denisse October 25, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Maddie is so cute. Dinner looked delish! I can’t wait to try the half and half ontop next time I make pot pie. Thanks
Denisse recently posted..Lonely Morning

8 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) October 26, 2010 at 12:40 am

that pot pie looks INCREDIBLE! I haven’t had pot pie in years and now I’m craving it.
Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) recently posted..NEW BLOG!

9 Clairerose October 26, 2010 at 12:45 am

You’re video is so cute!My fur kitty bolted out of the room when she heard the barking.hehe:-)cc

10 sarah (the SHU box) October 26, 2010 at 6:04 am

that looks awesome — such comfort food! was that your donated rotisserie chicken?

i am having trouble rationing my alliebars, too! they’re just too good . . .
sarah (the SHU box) recently posted..cville saturday

11 Meghann October 26, 2010 at 8:18 am

No! My Dad boiled a half a chicken and then used the stock from boiling to make the pot pie, as well as the actual chicken. My Dad has more patience in the kitchen then I ever will. Also, I realized boiled chicken tastes pretty good, I’m not sure why it get’s such a bad rep.
Meghann recently posted..Relax-Relax-Relax

12 Caroline October 26, 2010 at 6:18 am

God Maddie’s adorable! My puppy found it quite fascinating. He listened very hard with much tilting of the head ๐Ÿ™‚ I think it’s love, lol.

13 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice October 26, 2010 at 6:35 am

Haha Maddie is such a crazy dog. Scooby just looks like he wants to chill.

That pot pie looks great! That’s awesome that your dad is such a talented cook.

14 Lauren October 26, 2010 at 6:37 am

My dad is the same way!!! Him and I are so much a like and I know I got all of my cooking skills from this man.

Going home to home cooked meals will never get old. ๐Ÿ™‚
Lauren recently posted..Welcome Home

15 Whitney October 26, 2010 at 6:59 am

Chicken pot pie has always been give or take for me but recently I have been craving it. That one looks so flavorful and colorful!

What are the veggies in it?
Whitney recently posted..Breakfast in New York

16 Meghann October 26, 2010 at 8:20 am

It’s yellow squash, corn, sweet potato, onion, and carrots. I have a severe distaste for celery and peas so he left them out, otherwise I’m sure they would have gone right in.
Meghann recently posted..Relax-Relax-Relax

17 Liz @ Blog is the New Black October 26, 2010 at 7:53 am

Your dad’s CPP looks so good! It reminds me I have to make one for my bf!

18 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 26, 2010 at 8:27 am

Do you make your own pie crust?
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..Fall Fun Weekend

19 christina cadden October 26, 2010 at 8:59 am

Wow, your dad’s chicken pot pie looks amazing! I need to come eat with you guys!!!

20 allison @ thesundayflog October 26, 2010 at 9:03 am

for some unknown reason (ok maybe it’s the similar voice and dog names…) i ALWAYS mix up your blog with caitlinHTP’s blog! ill read read read and then stop myself, “huh? caitlin doesn’t eat chicken!” and vice versa! just thought i’d let you know ๐Ÿ™‚ pot pie looks delish! props to your dad!
allison @ thesundayflog recently posted..Oktoberfest

21 Brittany (Eating Bird Food) October 26, 2010 at 9:23 am

3 things:

First off, Maddie is adorable. I think she and Olive need to have a play date.

Secondly, I only snagged 1 AllieBar and it’s already gone. :/ Those babies are GOOD!

Lastly, I have those same white bowls with blue rims- although they’re hand- me-downs so I only have 1 bowl and 2 plates with that design. ๐Ÿ˜‰

22 Nikki T October 26, 2010 at 11:56 am

So cute that Maddie tells you about her day. I thought my Bella was the only one that did that! Haha!
She grunts and runs around and sits and lays down and jumps up on the couch so she can be at eyes level…all while telling us about her day!

23 Amanda October 26, 2010 at 12:38 pm

wow #1: package arrived yesterday (I expected today!)
wow #2: sugah stick arrived in one piece
enjoy your Michigan package!

24 Maddi October 26, 2010 at 1:35 pm

YUM!!!! Chicken pot pie has been my favorite meal for so many years-i have it as my birthday dinner EVERY year!!! I will have to tell my mom about the half and half trick for when she makes it next!! also i am so lucky, i have a dive team dinner tonight and the mom hosting it is making personal chicken pot pie for us! woot! ;D Just thought i would share! ๐Ÿ™‚
Thanks for sharing your dads secret!
Maddi

25 Rebecca October 26, 2010 at 1:39 pm

I have been reading your blog for the last few months and I was really surprised when I opened up youmy reader this afternoon. My sister and her company makes the Lean Green Crunch raw food bar that your friend sent you from the food fair. What a small world!

26 Sana October 26, 2010 at 3:29 pm

I have never had a pot pie before!!! I mist change this ASAP!
Sana recently posted..My Kinda Salad

27 Cynthia Crowsen October 26, 2010 at 11:39 pm

Ooops I pushed play on the video and my volume was on max. My dogs started barking back at Maddie like crazy ๐Ÿ™‚

28 katie October 27, 2010 at 11:40 am