Chicken Butt

by Meghann on October 25, 2010

My mission: to not let any of last night’s rotisserie chicken impulse buy go to waste

My goal: to not subside off of chicken sandwiches this week for lunch

Ex-cluding today of course. 😉

IMG_4291

This morning I suddenly remembered why I never bring rotisserie chickens from the grocery store. Because that’s a whole lotta chicken and I’m just one littler person. Oopps… I guess I’ll be eating a lot of chicken this week.

This morning I took the easy route and packed a chicken sandwich for lunch, but I’m hoping to be a little more creative this week. I see Chicken Tortilla Soup in my near future.

IMG_4297

Still, the left over chicken did make lunch easy. Chicken, bread, sandwich, done.

IMG_4302

On the side I had some fresh green beans – love their crunch!

IMG_4298

And Apple Chips.

IMG_4294

I was not a fan of the apple chips. They were too tart and just tasted weird. I conducted a taste test with a couple of co-workers and they weren’t a fan either. I’m not sure what the brand of chips were right off the top of my head, but I will not be buying them again.

IMG_4295

My snack earlier today consisted  of a piece of cheese and some nuts.

IMG_4288

Sounds odd, but it works. 🙂

Looking for something to do? Check out my sister’s Chicago Marathon video that just went up today! *hint* I’m in it!

And for even more fun… check out my other running videos.

I’ll admit running and recording yourself is a pain in the booty, but it’s really fun to watch them later. I’ve watched each of these a few dozen times and it never gets old. 🙂

1 Sarah for Real October 25, 2010 at 1:32 pm

If you pull the chicken apart all shredded style, it freezes really well. I do that and freeze smaller portions to thaw for quesadillas, chicken salad sandwiches, salad topper, soups, etc. Then you can do up the bones in a crock pot to make your own broth.

2 lauren October 25, 2010 at 2:36 pm

exactly what i wanted to say. just freeze it.

3 Kelly October 25, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Rotisserie chickens are soo good! Our grocery store has the best ones!
Kelly recently posted..College Weekend- and Halloween Themed Recipe

4 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 25, 2010 at 1:33 pm

I’ve never tried apple chips but they’re on my list! If I buy rotisserie chickens, I like to use some of the meat on top of nachos, in sandwiches, salads, and sometimes omelettes. Your soup sounds fantastic!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Thanksgiving Take 3!

5 Kelly October 25, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Hey I was trying to find my Disney Marathon video the other day and noticed that all of your videos are down. I just double checked the videos again to make sure. Just letting you know! I hope you liked the marathon video!

6 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 25, 2010 at 1:41 pm

You could also do chicken enchiladas or tacos with some salsa and avocado. I love having leftovers to make things with. Makes meals so much easier.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..roll me home

7 Amanda (Eating Up) October 25, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Freeze the chicken! Or make big bowls of chili and chicken casseroles and freeze those too.

I eat cheese and nuts all the time as snacks! Delish.
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..My Favorite Food

8 Amanda October 25, 2010 at 1:48 pm

I love chicken salad with shredded rotisserie chicken. It has great flavor and you can make a healthy alternative by switching hummus for mayo! Chicken tacos are always fun too…or bbq chicken pizza…The options are endless 🙂
Amanda recently posted..Our first…

9 kristinp October 25, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Oooh! My favorite way to use rotisserie chicken is in a version of Angela’s zucchini boats. Take chicken and mix it with veggies, the innards of a zucchini or two (cut in half lengthwise and scooped out) and tomato sauce. I usually use onions and mushrooms, but you could use whatever you have around – carrots and peppers might be nice too. Then stuff the zucchini with the mixture, top with a little cheese if’n you want to and bake at 350 until the zucchini are cooked, but not mushy – about 15 mins. Let them sit to reabsorb all the juice and eat up!

Super tasty and easy peasy 🙂
Kristin

10 Melissa @ Live, Love, & Run October 25, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Finally getting to comment in here!

I love how I just got some great ideas for lunch! Apple chips, fresh green beans, and nuts and cheese. I’m always looking for new ideas when it comes to hauling food to work. 🙂

You have a great blog, by the way! I saw the MC article and responded in my blog about it. I’ve been reading yours, Kath’s, and Caitlin’s for a while now. Just trying to delurk! Haha!
Melissa @ Live, Love, & Run recently posted..A Little Hodge Podge Post

11 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) October 25, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Put shredded chicken in a soup!!! That’s what I did last week with our rotisserie chicken–it worked really well.
Allie (Live Laugh Eat) recently posted..Wine Tasting in KERFville

12 Becca @ Start Over From Scratch October 25, 2010 at 2:10 pm

I had a bunch of left over chicken one time and I remembered your Black Bean and Pineapple Enchiladas and decided to make those and add some chicken to them! Delish!

13 RunningOnCoffee October 25, 2010 at 2:22 pm

When my husband and I get the rotisserie chicken from Wegmans, we usually eat it hot the first night, have sandwiches like you did – with either chunks of the chicken or making a chicken salad. You can also shred the chicken for soft tacos, eat it on top of a bed of greens, etc.

Orrrr last time, my husband made chicken stock with what was left of the chicken after carving off all the delicious meat. Then he made chicken soup from that stock with rice, peas, carrots, and chicken bits.
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Pumpkin Spice Smoothie – Fantastic!

14 grocery goddess jen October 25, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Hmmm, good luck figuring out what to do with all that chicken. Totally weird question, but I’m a vegetarian and I don’t know, can you freeze cooked chicken so you don’t have to eat it all in one week?

And cheese and nuts sounds like a perfectly normal snack to me!
grocery goddess jen recently posted..Veggie-fied Chicken Orzo Soup and How Much It Cost

15 Eleanor@eatinglikeahorse October 25, 2010 at 2:34 pm

That chicken looks soooo good! I like stir-frying it with loads of vegetables, or putting it in the blender to make chicken burgers…
And there’s something about that cheese and nuts picture; I’d never have tried it but I think you’re on to a winner there – I’m thinking cashews… or maybe almonds… or peanuts 🙂
Thanks!
Eleanor@eatinglikeahorse recently posted..A Nakd post…

16 Hope October 25, 2010 at 2:37 pm

I love getting ideas for take-to-work food from your blog! And yep, that’s a whole lotta chicken to use up! I’m sure you’ll find a way!!
Hope recently posted..A work in progress

17 Smash @ Appreciate The Now October 25, 2010 at 2:37 pm

It would be great for chicken & dumplings or some chicken enchiladas or tacos!

18 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 25, 2010 at 2:51 pm

You can do chicken on a salad, or chicken pot pie, or chicken noodle soup, or chicken polpette.
Make sure you save the carcass for chicken stock!
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..Fall Fun Weekend

19 Jennifer Demartini October 25, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Yum – your own homemade Publix sub!

20 Elizabeth October 25, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Yummy! I love buying whole rotisserie chickens. Only I never have left overs because my live in boyfriend is a beast when it comes to food.

21 Amanda October 25, 2010 at 3:10 pm

I made a really great Chicken Tortilla soup last week – used Kristen’s recipe from IowaGirlEats.com in the slow cooker. It was awesome!!

22 Kiran October 25, 2010 at 3:14 pm

I love using leftover chicken to make tortilla soup. So delicious and flavorful 🙂
Kiran recently posted..Orange and cranberry bread

23 Jen (Life's Too Short to Eat Fat Free Cheese) October 25, 2010 at 3:14 pm

I freeze leftover chicken all the time. I’ll freeze it in 1 cup or 2 cup portions and then defrost for soups or enchiladas or tacos. I treat the leftovers like restaurant leftovers and eat or freeze it after 24 hours because I don’t know how the chicken was handled, how long it sat in the warmer, etc.

24 ida October 25, 2010 at 3:22 pm

I was going to say make a soup too. Or white bean chili with chicken…

25 Mara @ What's For Dinner? October 25, 2010 at 3:46 pm

This is my favorite recipe for leftover chicken: http://www.imadedinner.net/recipes/poultry-recipes/green-stuff-chicken-chilaquiles

It’s like a mexican chicken lasagna!
It’s funny though, your rotisserie chickens must be double the size of ours… if we’re lucky, a chicken is dinner and maybe one lunch.

26 Heather October 25, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Were they Seneca brand apple chips, by chance?
That’s the only brand I’ve ever eaten and I have a love-hate relationship with them…they’re always either reeeeeally good or reeeeeeeally bad.

27 Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher October 25, 2010 at 4:19 pm

I want that bread under the chicken sandwich! Looks really really good.

28 Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher October 25, 2010 at 4:20 pm

* I mean the bread that the chicken is sitting on…

29 Lisa (bakebikeblog) October 25, 2010 at 4:40 pm

oh yum – what a tasty lunch indeed!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Wedding adventures – part 1

30 Eve @ Nutrition By Eve October 25, 2010 at 4:46 pm

I recommend making a chicken salad sandwich: chopped chicken, grapes, celery, walnuts, and mayo or greek yogurt so yummy! Also enchiladas or burritos are great with leftover chicken! I also like to add it to pasta…the options are endless. Rotisserie chicken is so easy and versatile.

31 Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope October 25, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Random question:
Do you think that 12 weeks is enough time to train for someone’s first Half Marathon?
The furthest i have run is 5k (during two sprint triathlons), but my sister, who i only see once per year because she lives up north, just revealed to me that she’s going to run the Key West half marathon! Part of me wants to do it with her, but then again, I’m not sure it’s enough time to train. What are your thoughts?
Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope recently posted..I AM that nurse!

32 RunningOnCoffee October 25, 2010 at 5:47 pm

That’s ambitious! How in shape are you otherwise, and what’s your weekly mileage right now?

Last December I got up to 6.5 mi as my longest distance ever, with running 9-12 miles/week over 3 days + 1 spinning class/week. In January, I signed up for my first half marathon in April – using a 16 week long training plan through Runner’s World (it’s called Smart Coach, it’s free) http://www.runnersworld.com/smartcoach You enter a recent race time or pace, how much you are currently training, what distance you are training for, how hard you want to train, how many weeks til the event. Try filling that in with your own figures and seeing if the training plan their provide is something you think you can do.
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Pumpkin Spice Smoothie – Fantastic!

33 Stacy R. October 25, 2010 at 5:04 pm

I am making Chicken Tortilla Soup tonight! Let me know if you’d like the recipe I can email it to you.

34 Balanced Healthy Life October 25, 2010 at 7:01 pm

There’s so much you can do with left over chicken! Quesadillas, burritos, soup, use it on top of salads! I love having left over chicken, I think it makes dinner so easy to whip up!

35 Ali October 25, 2010 at 7:20 pm

I love watching/reading yours and Kelly’s marathon recaps. It made me want to sign up for my first marathon back in July which I just completed on Oct. 17th!! For my next marathon (already scoping them out), I definitely want to bring a camera to record the journey!!

36 Ali October 25, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Ohh, also which camera do you use?? 🙂
Ali recently posted..New Challenge

37 Katy October 25, 2010 at 7:49 pm

I’m not a big fan of the apple chips either! I find that they have a weird texture (I’m a big texture person when it comes to food. Haha!)

I’ve never thought of running and making a video, but maybe I will do it when I run the WDW Half Marathon in January. 😉
Katy recently posted..Where did the weekend go

38 katie October 25, 2010 at 9:10 pm

i made ribs over the weekend so i think i will make pulled pork sandwiches for dinner tonight
katie recently posted..This is how you get famous in America

39 Beth at Kitchen Minions October 25, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Rotisserie leftovers are not a thing I ever experience, my husband can finish almost an entire chicken in one sitting!
Beth at Kitchen Minions recently posted..Pumpkin Whoopee Pies