Oats Buffet

by Meghann on October 24, 2010

Good Morning! It’s another beautiful day in Charlottesville! Perfect for an 8 mile training run, wouldn’t you agree? ;)

When I posted my Palm Beach Training Schedule last week Kath noticed that I had 8 – 10 miles on the agenda for this morning. Being the great running friend that she is, Kath immediately volunteered to run it with me. I <3 running friends! ;) From there I recruited Sarah and before I knew it we had a group of 3 waiting to take charge of 8 miles at 7:30 this morning.

IMG_4194.jpg

Before we left I had a piece of bread with Naturally Nutty Sunflower Butter and 1/2 of a left over cookie from last night.

Great pre-run snack. :)

Kath mapped out a beautiful 8 mile run around Charlottesville. We set our goal to take it easy and just enjoy the run.

The 8 miles flew by. We ran through the UVA campus., I saw the football stadium, we talked about all things in life, we went up hills, we went down hills, and we really just had a good time.

Everyone warned me about the hills here, but I’m sticking by my original statement of really liking them. Running uphill sucks, but going down more than makes up for it. Without even trying our pace was really rockin’. My legs felt great the entire time and if anyone had wanted more miles, I would have agreed in a heartbeat. :)

We finished at 8 miles on the dot!

After a quick shower it was oatmeal time!

In honor of her birthday Kath had invited everyone over for a celebration oatmeal bar. Kath made a delicious vat of oatmeal (minus banana in a separate batch of me because she ROCKS!) and set out an array of amazing topping to choose from.

IMG_4215.jpg

Britney, Allie, Heather, Cara, and Christine in action!

I started with a base of pumpkin oats

And added some Chocolate Hazelnut Butter, Buckwheat Granola, Peanut Butter Coconut Butter, 1/2 a cookie, Pumpkin Butter, and nuts.

It was quite a bowl of food!

I’ve been reading Kath’s blog for years and could not wait to sample a bowl of her famous oats. All I can say is wow. The bowl truly live up to expectations. It was creamy, nutty, and just the perfect amount of sweetness. Thank you, thank you, thank you Kath!

My flight takes off this evening and I’m really sad to leave! It’s been such a great weekend with friends and I don’t want to end. I still have a few more hours left, I wonder what sort of trouble we can get into until then… ;)

1 gina@concierge4moms October 24, 2010 at 11:40 am

Looks delish and what a fun idea! I am addicted to anything pumpkin at the moment!! I ran 8 miles around UVA today as well! Would love to join you if you come back to visit!

2 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine October 24, 2010 at 11:41 am

I love the pic of EVERYONE photographing their breakfast. So cute and funny!! Hope you enjoy your last day in Cville!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..The Best Way

3 Teresa @ Teresa Tastes & Travels October 24, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Oh my gosh, yes! That’s my favorite photo! An oatmeal bar surrounded by flashing cameras. Great photo!
Teresa @ Teresa Tastes & Travels recently posted..Here’s To “The Girls!”

4 Katy October 24, 2010 at 11:42 am

The oats buffet looks like a GREAT idea!!! Hopefully as I do more races, I can start meeting people and we can start having get togethers like that!

Looks like you have had a great weekend! :)
Katy recently posted..Will Work For Food

5 Krystina (Organically Me) October 24, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Nothing sounds as great as a Kath oatmeal buffet :D
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..Falafel- A Tutorial

6 Liz @ LBBakes October 24, 2010 at 12:41 pm

That is quite the loaded bowl of oatmeal! Yum :)
Liz @ LBBakes recently posted..RTCP- Seeking Treatment

7 Tabitha (From Single to Married) October 24, 2010 at 12:43 pm

It’s fun to read the same experience from both of your perspectives (I read KERF too). ::)

8 grocery goddess jen October 24, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Aw, that looks like so much fun. Hopefully you can perfect your own oats at home, now that you’re into oatmeal. Or you could just put Kath in your suitcase and take her back to Orlando :)
grocery goddess jen recently posted..48 Is More Than 43

9 sarah @ eatrungarden October 24, 2010 at 1:02 pm

An oatmeal Buffet sounds so fun.
Running friends are great! It must be nice to have others to chat with on your runs. :-)

10 Teresa @ Teresa Tastes & Travels October 24, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Agreed! Everyone should be so lucky to have running friends. :)
Teresa @ Teresa Tastes & Travels recently posted..Here’s To “The Girls!”

11 Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher October 24, 2010 at 1:15 pm

i’m loving all the oatmeal! :)
Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher recently posted..my cats- chinese food- weekly goals

12 kathleen October 24, 2010 at 1:23 pm

running is my favorite way to explore new cities. looks like a great morning!
kathleen recently posted..Chinese Inspired Sauce

13 Alison (Ali on the Run) October 24, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Your post inspired me to make my own oats this morning (er, afternoon). Yum! I put raisins, cinnamon, almonds and a few chocolate chips in mine. Deeeeelish!
Alison (Ali on the Run) recently posted..I Survived the Red Eye

14 Little Bookworm October 24, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Just found your blog, and I think it is great! Sounds like you had a great weekend, and all the porridge (oatmeal) looks great! :)

15 Hope October 24, 2010 at 3:09 pm

An oats bar sounds epic!
Have a good trip home!
Hope recently posted..A work in progress

16 Balanced Healthy Life October 24, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I love the oatmeal bar idea! How great!
Balanced Healthy Life recently posted..Vegetable Broth Based Stir Fry

17 Brittany (Eating Bird Food) October 24, 2010 at 4:23 pm

So great to see you this weekend lady. Now I’m even more excited for Foodbuzz.

And I agree, Kath’s oats definitely live up to the expectations! It was delicious!!

Wave to me from the RIC. ;)

18 Ash Bear October 24, 2010 at 5:04 pm

The oats look gorgeous, the girls look happy, and the decor is perfectly Fall! :) I’m glad you had a blast and have enjoyed yourself in Charlottesville. It really does look like the perfect college city. Ash

19 Lisa (bakebikeblog) October 24, 2010 at 5:05 pm

I am IN LOVE with that oatmeal bar idea!!!! Such a great start to the day!

20 Dave from Running Tips October 24, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Looks like a camera/food party.

A lot of nice cameras there? Does it get old always having to take the pictures. I love seeing all of them. Just wondering.
Dave from Running Tips recently posted..Womens Scholarship

21 RunningOnCoffee October 25, 2010 at 10:26 am

Yeah, I was kind of amused by the picture of everyone standing around the table with their camera. I think I’d feel a little self conscious and like I’d have to really dress up for the weekend if I knew there were going to be multiple cameras in the room at all times for the entire weekend.
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Pumpkin Spice Smoothie – Fantastic!

22 sarah (the SHU box) October 24, 2010 at 5:34 pm

you know i’ll run with you ANYTIME! had such a great time hanging out :)
sarah (the SHU box) recently posted..cville saturday

23 Jessica@tastyandtrim October 24, 2010 at 6:24 pm

What a great idea – an oatmeal bar sounds so fun! Reminds me of the ice cream bar my sister and I had for our birthdays. It’s so nice that you all were able to come together and celebrate Kath’s birthday! Have a safe flight!
Jessica@tastyandtrim recently posted..Trader Joe’s Giveaway!

24 Courtney October 24, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Yum! What a fun party idea! :D
Courtney recently posted..Cupcakes and Makeup

25 Anna S. @ History Running Girl October 24, 2010 at 8:08 pm

My oatmeal never looks as delicious! Looks like a lot of fun.

26 Rachel October 24, 2010 at 8:08 pm

An oatmeal bar! What a great idea!
That’s quite a lot of jars you had there. I’m sure it made for some very tasty oatmeal. I agree about the hills – running down them makes up for the uphill part and running up makes me feel powerful!

27 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 24, 2010 at 9:31 pm

That’s the biggest spread of nut butters I’ve ever seen! It’s like a grocery store.
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..Fall Fun Weekend

28 A Taste of Tangy October 24, 2010 at 10:07 pm

Sounds like a great day :) I can’t imagine running an 8-miler with beautiful scenery. My last one was nothing but cornfields! It was a boring run! And I love the idea of an oatmeal bar! Great post-run meal!
A Taste of Tangy recently posted..Chocolate for Breakfast! Yes- Please!

29 RunningOnCoffee October 25, 2010 at 10:28 am

Was the chocolate hazelnut butter kinda like Nutella?
The Peanut Butter Coconut Butter sounds interesting. I’ve never tried sunflower butter before either!
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Pumpkin Spice Smoothie – Fantastic!