Charlottesville Love

by Meghann on October 23, 2010

Good news! The chilly weather we had ran the race in this morning had all but disappeared for the rest of the day. We had nothing but sunny skies, warm temps, and beautiful views. πŸ™‚

Perfect bike weather, am I right?

I love having the option to bike places around here. Last night we rode the bikes to dinner, this morning to the race, and afternoon they were our vehicle to lunch. Sure the hills are a little bit of a challenge and I look a little dorky on the bike, but it’s so much nicer to be in the great outdoors rather in a boring car.

Plus, it’s fun! πŸ™‚

We took the bikes to the downtown mall area and met a large group at Eppie’s for lunch.

From left to right: Christine, Lani, Allie, Sarah, Josh, Heather, Kath, Matt, Eric

Eppie’s is a cute counter order restaurant that serves local southern comfort food.

Apparently Eppie’s is known for their wonderful vegetable platter (which looked really good when I saw them walk by), but none of the vegetables side were sticking out at me when I ordered. Instead I followed our group’s trend and had the soup and salad combo.

1/2 the Santa Monica salad with extra chicken for protein

1/2 the Tomato BisqueSoup (wasn’t a fan)

And a pumpkin muffin (tasted like pumpkin cornbread)

The atmosphere of lunch was fantastic. I loved catching up with old [and new] friends.)

After lunch Kath suggested we head to Arch’s for what she swears is the best topping of all time: Gooey Brownie.

Apparently if you order is on the side you get extra gooey brownie. πŸ˜‰

I added the froyo to the top of the gooey brownie and proceeded to swoon. The gooey brownie was like thick, rich brownie batter. A. Ma. Zing. πŸ™‚

IMG_3977.jpg

Just as we sat down at Arch’s I was spotted by a reader. Hi Kate! It was nice meeting you!!

IMG_3978.jpg

Kath said she wanted three things for her birthday.

1. Running
  2. Frozen Yogurt
  3. Wine!

So, off to the Virginian wine country we went to sit, taste, and enjoy the gorgeous views.

First up: Blenheim Vineyards (I guess Dave Mathews owns it?)

We did a traditional tasting outside and sampled a few whites and reds.

The aromas were enticing, but the actual wine was just ok.

Stop #2: Kluge Estate

We all split two of their tasting flights.

IMG_4068.JPG IMG_4074.JPG

IMG_4076.JPG IMG_4078.JPG

IMG_4084.JPG IMG_4079.JPG

IMG_4069.jpg

I really enjoyed the reds on each of the flights. Apparently Virginia isn’t very well known for their wines, but I was quite impressed today. Much better then the disgusting grape juice Florida tries to sell off as wine. *shudders*

After wine tasting it was back to Casa de KERF for a potluck birthday celebration with friends.

Before the party started I nibbled on a bajillion of Matt’s Cracks and had a couple of mini glasses of Matt’s Oatmeal Stout and Pumpkin beer (both were delicious. πŸ™‚ )

Food time!!

My plate plus many handfuls of other items on the table. My favorite had to be the bacon wrapped dates. So good.

Curried Butternut Squash Soup

Dessert!

I don’t know how it started, but someone had a great idea to have a Pumpkin Beer Off. Three separate pumpkin beers were opened to sample and compare.

Though all were pumpkin beers, they each had their own distinct flavors and pumpkin approach. My vote was actually for the Cottonwood. It had the nice pumpkin flavor without going too overboard. πŸ™‚

IMG_4147.jpg

Hey Mom! Look who I found!

It’s my cousin Andrea! πŸ™‚

Andrea writes the blog Bella Eats and just became a full time photographer (check her work out, she’s fabulous!). She has lived in Charlottesville for the last 5 years and I can’t even tell you the last time we’ve seen each other face to face. It was nice to actually say hi and play catch up. πŸ™‚

IMG_4176.jpg

Kath threw a great party and it was really fun to mingle with the Charlottesville crowd.

But, now I’m exhausted and ready for bed. It was a long, full day, but I would not have expected anything less.

Good Night!

1 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day October 23, 2010 at 11:38 pm

Last time I visited Charlottesville, the best restaurant was greasy food at Big Jim’s. Who knew they had so many wonderful places now?

What fun day!

2 Kiran October 23, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Great company, food and fun!
Kiran recently posted..Orange and cranberry bread

3 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. October 24, 2010 at 12:15 am

Looks like y’all had an absolutely wonderful day! What a great birthday celebration!
mindy @ just a one girl revolution. recently posted..around the world in three days

4 Janae Jacobs October 24, 2010 at 1:04 am

I must experience the gooey brownie! WOW!! It was pouring rain all day here… I am jealous of the bike riding weather in Charolettesville. What a fun weekend!
Janae Jacobs recently posted..Wake me up before you go girl

5 Jasmine @ Eat Move Write October 24, 2010 at 3:15 am

How cool you saw your cousin! That’s funny.

It looked like a really fun day! I’ve never seen a bike quite like the one you were riding, by the way.
Jasmine @ Eat Move Write recently posted..A Word on β€œThe Regular Way”

6 Krystina (Organically Me) October 24, 2010 at 6:20 am

Sounds SO fun! πŸ˜€
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..Falafel- A Tutorial

7 Heather October 24, 2010 at 8:03 am

Bella Eats is one of the first blogs I found!!! Even before yours! She’s awesome!

8 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine October 24, 2010 at 8:26 am

I’m loving all the recap posts I’ve read from yesterday…it looks like you guys had such a great time!! Hope today is just as fun for you πŸ™‚

9 rebecca lustig October 24, 2010 at 8:46 am

the words “gooey” and “brownie” absolutely belong together. end of story!
rebecca lustig recently posted..Bonjour- i miei amici

10 michelle October 24, 2010 at 8:57 am

Love all the pics
michelle recently posted..20 miles into 16

11 grocery goddess jen October 24, 2010 at 9:18 am

What the heck is in that gooey brownie topping??? It looks fabulous. Also, seeing all of the pictures of Charlottesville on Kath’s blog, and now your blog, I so want to visit.
grocery goddess jen recently posted..48 Is More Than 43

12 Halley (Blunder Construction) October 24, 2010 at 9:38 am

Pumpkin cornbread? I like this idea! You look so adorable on that bike, so classic!

13 Dori October 24, 2010 at 9:47 am

OMG GOOEY BROWNIE. Why does NYC never have any of these types of amazing things?? For the record, I would choose gooey brownie over deep fried kok any day.
Dori recently posted..How I Fought a Cold in One Day

14 Katie @ Healthy Heddleston October 24, 2010 at 9:57 am

Looks like fun! What kind of little bike was that?? It looks so neat!
Katie @ Healthy Heddleston recently posted..Bananapple Muffins

15 Marie @ReciPeas & Musings October 24, 2010 at 10:28 am

That gooey brownie topping is the best! I love Arch’s.
Marie @ReciPeas & Musings recently posted..Apples- Cider- Donuts- and Fun

16 Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life October 24, 2010 at 10:29 am

It looks like you guys had a long and busy day! There’s nothing better then spending a day filled with friends you love!

17 RunningOnCoffee October 24, 2010 at 10:41 am

I want to know more about the bike too! Yours, rented, or Kath’s?

Your lunch looked good, too bad the soup wasn’t! I like your friend’s blue cowl neck top, too!
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Pumpkin Spice Smoothie – Fantastic!

18 RunningOnCoffee October 24, 2010 at 10:49 am

Too many posts close together! I’m playing blog-catch up. I went back and read your post from Friday night and saw that the bike was an extra Kath had.
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Pumpkin Spice Smoothie – Fantastic!

19 Jessica@tastyandtrim October 24, 2010 at 10:51 am

Aw what a fun day! All of the food looks great..and that gooey brownie looks amazing! I’ve never seen that at an ice cream shop near me in Chicago, but we do have a place out here that scoops raw cookie dough on your ice cream (without the eggs of course πŸ˜‰ ) and it’s phenominal – I’ve ordered just a cup of the cookie dough before!
Jessica@tastyandtrim recently posted..Trader Joe’s Giveaway!

20 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) October 24, 2010 at 11:02 am

That gooey brownie reminds me of the dessert I made last night: Chocolate Cobbler.
Michelle (The Runner’s Plate) recently posted..Soup Fanatic

21 Caitlin (EatFeats) October 24, 2010 at 11:23 am

When I visited my friend at UVa, I always passed by Arch’s, but never went in. Totally regretting that decision.

22 Natalia - a side of simple October 24, 2010 at 11:59 am

Wow, looks like a great time! Good company and good food are some of the most beautiful things πŸ™‚
Natalia – a side of simple recently posted..A Newport Stroll

23 Amy October 24, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Oh Virginia is becoming quite well known for its wine! There are a lot of great places to go around here. Kluge’s one of the best.

(I had lunch at Eppie’s yesterday – curry chicken salad. Yum!)