Bad to the Bone 10k

by Meghann on October 23, 2010

Hills? What hills? We dominated that race! :)

Correction: Kath dominated that race…. I just tried desperately to stay by her side the whole time. No better motivation to run hard than having a friend who is nipping at your side, right? ;)

I slept like a rock last night. The bed in Kath’s guest bedroom is amazingly comfortable… almost too comfortable. When my alarm went off at 5:45 I did not want to get up. Sleep good. Running bad. ;)

I’m not one to usually drink hot tea or coffee before a run, but Kath had convinced me that a healthy dose of caffeine would bring my running to a whole other level. I live under the philosophy I’ll try and thing once so I accepted a hot cup of early morning tea.

IMG_3794.jpg

Plus, it was freezing and the idea of a warm beverage sounded like heaven.

Mmmm… tea is good. ;)

Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Moe…

Which nut butter should I choose?

I went with the Nutzo and Pumpkin butter on a chunk of Dakota Bread.

Excellent pre-race fuel.

And we’re off!

We hopped on the bikes and rode the 2. (something) miles to the start line. It was a little chilly of a ride and when we arrived my toes and legs were all numb. Luckily instead of waiting around outside, the running store who was sponsoring the race had opened there doors to let people warm up inside.

Much better.

Faith found us wandering inside.

Hi Faith.

And outside I spotted Sarah and her husband Josh!!

I’ve had the pleasure of meeting Sarah at both Healthy Living Summits and I was so excited to not only see her again, but to be racing with her. Sarah is one of my running idols.

IMG_3828.jpg

A few minutes before the started we made our way into the open corral. It was a small race – we guessed about 400 entrants – so there was no craziness making our way to the front.

Ready. Set. GO!

Kath and I had made a pact weeks ago to run the race together. We didn’t want to stress ourselves out by becoming overly competitive and pushing too hard to beat the other, so running together seemed like the perfect solution.

I had just run the Chicago Marathon two weeks ago and hail from Florida where the only place you’ll find a hill is if you create one on the treadmill. We knew this would be a hilly, chilly race and agreed that a 9:00 min/mil pace would be ideal.

At least that was the plan.

I felt ‘on’ pretty much from the get go. The first two miles were perfect. Yes, there were hills, but you know what? I liked the hills! Going up was hard, but going down was amazing. I couldn’t believe how great this race felt. We were easily maintaining 8:00 min/miles and were on track to sty that strong through the race.

It was a lot of rolling hills through the first half of the race. We ran through the adorable country roads of Charlottesville before entering a relatively flat trail for the next mile of the race. Before the trail I had a sip of gatorade from the water station.

I kept waiting to see if Kath would hold back or slow down, but her pace never waivered and neither did mine. It was great having her pushing so hard on my side because I wanted to do the same thing. She even reminded me to run up the hills on my toes at one point and the advice ended up being a life saver.

At one point Kath said we were doing great, but she didn’t want to jinx us or guess our finish time until we hit the hill. She kept mentioning this hill and I was starting to get nervous. It sounded big, it sounded hard, and it occurred at mile 4.

I saw the hill from a distance and knew I was in trouble. This wasn’t one hill, this was 4 or 5 hills right on top of each other with a slight flatness in between each one. This ‘hill’ was all of mile 4!

Kath and I took a swig of gatorade and gave the hill all we had. I was sure I was going to give up. I was sure I was going to walk. I was sure I was going to tell Kath to go on. But, I didn’t!

I reached deep inside and gave it all I had. If it wasn’t for Kath, I’m pretty sure I would have given up, but having her there for motivation really pushed me. I wanted to stay with her and I wanted to finish this race together like we planned.

Our pace suffered obviously -we finally saw that 9:00 min/mile – but the fact that I never let the hill get the best of me made this race even better. We rocked that.

After mile 4 it was pretty much smooth sailing. We had a few rolling hills, one last uphill, and took the last turn to the downtown mall to finish the race.

At mile 6 we saw Matt and made sure to smile for the camera.

Just before mile 6 Kath realized we were one minute away from running a sub 50 minute 10k. She took off hoping to make the cut. I tried to follow, but my legs weren’t moving like hers. We both ended up finishing strong.

Kath: 50:53

Me: 50:58

50:58? Hell yeah! For someone who just ran a marathon 2 weeks ago and isn’t used to running hills – I’ll take it!

PLUS, I know if it wasn’t for mile 4 we would have been able to run a sub-50 no problem!

Virginia race – Check! :)

After the race we stayed and talked for a minute (I had a couple of cups of gatorade) and then walked down the street to the CVille Farmer’s Market for breakfast.

I love asking for cups of plain hot water to warm up on a cold day.

I found a vendor with an Everything Scone that sounded like it was right up my ally. This scone has Ginger, Chocolate Chips, Poppy Seeds, Pistachios, etc. It was crumbly, slightly sweet and delicious.

Plus a warm Honey Bunch. Pure butter, fabulous.

And last, but not least, Kath and I split a hot cinnamon sugar donut hot out of the fryer.

So good!

Alright, time to keep this party going!!!

1 Kath Younger October 23, 2010 at 11:34 am

C’mon, you were pushing me as hard as I was pushing yoU!!

2 Jessica@tastyandtrim October 23, 2010 at 11:35 am

Congrats on such a great race! You girls rocked it – that’s no surprise though :)
That hot cinnamon sugar donut sounds heavenly. I could definitely go for one of those right now!

3 Mica October 23, 2010 at 11:39 am

I went to school in C’ville, so seeing this race recap makes me somewhat nostalgic! Running on the downtown mall was my favorite “flat” place in that city. So many hills, right?

4 Rebecca October 23, 2010 at 11:39 am

Haha, y’all kind of got photobombed in that first picture!

Congrats on a great race!

5 Kristy @ KristyRuns October 23, 2010 at 11:41 am

Whatever you did to get that speed, I need to do it. ;) Congrats on such an awesome race! Looks like the perfect morning.

6 Kiran October 23, 2010 at 11:50 am

Great tempo! Congrats you both and breakfast looks scrumptious :)

7 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) October 23, 2010 at 11:51 am

Congrats! (I was going to comment that I hope your scone didn’t contain poop seeds, but then you changed it! ;) No worries–it happens!)

8 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day October 23, 2010 at 11:52 am

I always plan to run on Saturday mornings as a great start to my weekend, but this morning, I DID NOT want to get out of bed. Then I read this post (yes, in my bed).

Bring on the miles! Thanks for the inspiration and have a fun weekend!

9 J October 23, 2010 at 11:59 am

Aw, I love Charlottesville. Good job on the race!

10 Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels October 23, 2010 at 11:59 am

Congrats on doing such an incredible job on the race! Especially with those hills! :)
By the way, that homemade donut looks soooo good.

11 SaraRM October 23, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Quite impressive… Congrats!

12 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat October 23, 2010 at 12:12 pm

What a great morning! You both rocked that race, and it looks like you have a fun day ahead of you!

13 Kaitlyn (College Girl Runs) October 23, 2010 at 12:14 pm

GOod job making it through that hill! Have a wonderful Saturday :)

14 Jessica F October 23, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Caffeine totally makes a difference. I normally don’t have any before I run but today I had a ten mile run and decided to have a bit of coffee before hand. It was amazing! I had a 8:22 pace and felt great the whole way. The sunrise and fall leaves probably helped though…

Congrats on your race!

15 Katy October 23, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Congratulations on a great run!!! :)

I’m jealous of all the nut butters you had to choose from this morning! And even more jealous of all the goodies at the farmer’s market! That puts my post workout breakfast from this morning to shame!

Have a great day! :)

16 Claire October 23, 2010 at 12:20 pm

what fun! It has been way too long sinced I’ve run with friends!

17 Natalia - a side of simple October 23, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Love your recap. What a great way to start the weekend with friends :)

18 Jamie @ Food in Real Life October 23, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Nice job!! I ran my first 10K this morning and it was soooo hilly. I really like this distance for a race though. Allows me to sink into my pace but it’s not too long either. Have a fun time this weekend!

19 Maria @ runningcupcake October 23, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Wow that is a fantastic time- you girls rock- especially 2 weeks after a marathon! I am still trying for a sub 60 min 10k!
All that food from the farmers market looks so good

20 grocery goddess jen October 23, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Awesome! Great job, and very impressive after a marathon two weeks ago.

21 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 23, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Wooohoooo congrats on the run!! Looks like a great race.. and that donut sounds heavenly!

22 Alison (Ali on the Run) October 23, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Oh my gosh it looks so chilly! You girls are so bundled! The pictures are great. Nice looking strides :) Congratulations on yet another race. The post-race food looks amazing — I’m jealous! Enjoy the rest of your visit.

23 Tabitha (From Single to Married) October 23, 2010 at 1:08 pm

what a great race – glad you had a good one!

24 Ashley October 23, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Loved this race recap! You + Kath are just too cute. Like I told Kath..this looks like the perfect fall morning! Can’t wait to meet you at FBfest :)

25 Biz October 23, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Great job to you both! Enjoy the rest of your day! :D

26 Cynthia October 23, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Congrats on the 10K. You guys did awesome! Have a great weekend.

27 Teresa @ Teresa Tastes & Travels October 23, 2010 at 2:48 pm

What an awesome update! Looks like a beautiful day!

28 Anna @ History Running Girl October 23, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Looks like an amazing race! And a fun Farmer’s Market!

Congrats

29 Lisa October 23, 2010 at 3:29 pm

It looks like it was a cold race!

30 Laura October 23, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Congrats on a great race!

31 mary October 23, 2010 at 5:40 pm

congrats on your great race! :)

32 Courtney October 23, 2010 at 6:07 pm

Congrats! :) Running with friends is the best!

33 Ross October 23, 2010 at 6:12 pm

Congrats on the race! You need a new challenge now that you have conquered a marathon and a hilly race, how about an ultra lol?!

I ran a 10k last year that I had absolutely no idea contained the mother of all hills. I started off strong and wondered why the rest of the field were lagging behind me…until I turned a corner and saw a hill that was so big it physically blocked out the sun! That was not a good race.

My Running Blog

34 Faith A. October 23, 2010 at 6:25 pm

You both are wicked fast! Wow, great time…running inspiration right there. Looks like a great race (and scone!)

35 RunningOnCoffee October 23, 2010 at 7:26 pm

Fresh donuts are the best! We have an apple orchard nearby that has apple cider donuts. Your other Farmer’s Market baked goods sounds delicious too.
What’s the verdict on a little pre-race caffeine?
Congrats on the time despite the big hills! How cold was it?

36 wendy sue October 23, 2010 at 7:26 pm

isn’t cville amazing? It is such a great running town! the best thing about living in a place with so many hills is it makes running in flat towns seem that much easier!

37 Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher October 23, 2010 at 9:27 pm

congrats, woman!
glad it went well.

-a-

38 Laura (Starloz) October 23, 2010 at 10:16 pm

im glad to know i’m not the only one who gets seriously excited to drink plain hot water

39 chris October 26, 2010 at 8:26 am