more ยป" />

My Apple is da Bomb

by Meghann on October 22, 2010

Hello OIA!!

What has it been? A week? It feels like we were never a part. Or not.

At least this time I’m traveling for fun.

I bet you’ll NEVER guess where I’m heading. Let me give you a hint.

Ummmm…..

1. Oatmeal
  2. 26
  3. Green
  4. KERF

Ding! Ding! Ding!

You guess it!

I’m on my way to Charlottesville to celebrate my blogging BFF Kath’s 28th Birthday!!!

(Photo from 2009 Healthy Living Summit. All of a sudden I have an urge to cut my hair again…. )

Kath has a big birthday weekend planned and I’m really excited to be a part of it. There will be beer, there will be wine, there will be running, and – oh yes – there will be OATMEAL! She even promised to make mine without banana. Now that is a true friend. ๐Ÿ™‚

I booked an afternoon flight today so I could could a half day in at the office before I leave. I have been one busy chica at my desk this week!

Fritos made a wonderful salty mid-morning snack.

And packing my lunch this morning meant I could head straight from the office to the airport.

This morning I made a delicious apple butter and almond butter sandwich and stuck in the fridge at work. Now, I don’t know about you, but I loathe cold bread. Actually, I’m not that big of a fan of soft bread either. I like my bread hot and toasted.

What’s a girl with an already made cold sandwich to do? That’s easy – pop the whole sandwich in the toaster over to get it all hot and toasty.

Of course, I made the mistake of leaving it in a little too long and burnt it, but a little burnt toast never hurt anybody. I’ll take burnt toast over cold bread any day of the week. ๐Ÿ™‚

Random side of broccoli & mushrooms.

And 2 mini pickles.

Bubbles.

IMG_3242.jpg

When I arrived at the airport there was a guard directing the lines through security. Someone showed up holding a bag from McDonalds and asked if it was ok to bring through. The guy said sure, as long as it didn’t have liquids his food was ok.

This started a commotion around me where several people started claiming how they didn’t realize they could bring food through the line. One guy even admitted how he had just thrown the rest of his sandwich away because he thought it wasn’t allowed.

I bring food through airport security all the time on this blog and nearly every time I do I receive a comment or e-mail from someone quizzing how I snack food on the airplane.

Here is my public service announcement: It’s ok to bring food through security as long as it isn’t liquid or that liquid is less than 3 oz!!

• Small sandwich — GOOD!
  • Fruit —- Good!
  • Cereal —- Good!
  • Chips — GOOD!
  • Trail Mix —- Good!
  • TIny container of PB —- GOOD!
  • Big jar of PB —- BAD!
  • Ice Cream — BAD!

Make sense?

Now, with that being said, I was stopped for the first time in years going through security today (and I travel A LOT).

Turns out my apple looked like a bomb in the x-ray machine.

IMG_3253.jpg

Don’t worry they let me through. I just thought it was funny and so did the lady who checked my bag who yelled to her co-worker ” I told you it was an apple!”

๐Ÿ™‚

As soon as I got to my gate I made the required stop at Starbucks for a Grande Awake Tea Latte with one pump of Pumpkin Spice.

IMG_3256.jpg

And decided to add a dusting of chocolate and cinnamon for fun.

mmm… like Thanksgiving in a cup. ๐Ÿ™‚

Alright, peeps. Flight is about to board! See ya in C-ville!!

Oh, and just as an FYI: I plan to eat that apple on the plane. ๐Ÿ˜‰

1 k October 22, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Hey Meghann – I think this is the first time I have ever commented, but I’ve been reading your blog for quite some time. Your apple is a bomb story had me laughing though because last time I went through airport security I got stopped because I had a full carrot (I tend to just eat them whole instead of cutting them up) in my bag. The security guy didn’t think it was anything dangerous, but he just wanted to confirm what he thought it was to validate his skillz (his word, not mine). Everyone around me though it was hysterical that I had a carrot in my bag. Anyway – your story reminded me of mine ๐Ÿ™‚

Have a great trip!

2 Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) October 22, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Have a blast with Kath!
Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) recently posted..I Can Make Youย Thin

3 Emily @ Emilyeatsclean October 22, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Ohhh sounds like a super fun weekend!! Have fun and I can’t wait to read all your updates!
Emily @ Emilyeatsclean recently posted..Bakerella

4 Amy October 22, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Yay, you’re coming to my town! Is it your first visit? I hope you enjoy it! We have lots of hills for you to run on. ๐Ÿ™‚

5 Rebecca October 22, 2010 at 4:58 pm

The weather here in Cville is gorgeous today, and full moon tonight! Enjoy your trip!

6 Stephanie @ The Cookie Battle October 22, 2010 at 5:00 pm

I didn’t know people didn’t know you could bring food on the plane! I travel a lot and I always have a stash in my bag of granola bars, apples, PB&J, etc. when I get on the plane.

7 S @ extremebalance.net/blog October 22, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Did everyone in your office think they were having strokes when they smelled the burnt toast? ๐Ÿ˜‰

I get stopped and frisked *all* the bloody time… I like to think it’s because I look so innocent I *must* be up to something. Heh.
S @ extremebalance.net/blog recently posted..Lasagna like no other- the ostrich files

8 Hope October 22, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Oh have a great trip! It sounds like super fun! I’m sure we’ll read all about it here and over at KERF!
I always wondered about food on planes! Thanks for sharing
Hope recently posted..Tagged!

9 Brie @ Brie Fit October 22, 2010 at 5:30 pm

I got a hand mixer and a Garmin for Christmas. Apparently the combination of those two REALLY looked like a bomb, because they had to take the brand new gifts out of the boxes and plastic to wipe them down with some bomb-detecting chemical. It was bananas.

Have fun!

10 Angela October 22, 2010 at 5:48 pm

I got stopped once because the handle on my hairbrush apparently looked like a knife on the x-ray!

11 Runeatrepeat October 22, 2010 at 5:54 pm

One time I got stopped for a banana. I’d like to think they thought it was a dildo.
Runeatrepeat recently posted..Wake Up Wednesday

12 Krystina (Organically Me) October 22, 2010 at 6:01 pm

HAVE FUN!
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..Falafel- A Tutorial

13 Shannon, Tropical Eats October 22, 2010 at 6:17 pm

have so much fun ๐Ÿ™‚

somehow i got through chicago security with a jar of TJ’s Sunflower Butter!!!! i felt so sneaky/awesome/lucky makin it through!
Shannon, Tropical Eats recently posted..Everyone

14 Jess October 22, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Hi! I’m jess, real life friends with Kath and loooooong time blog reader. Looking forward to meeting you very much :-D. I’ll be at the race and her dinner party

15 Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life October 22, 2010 at 6:29 pm

I always bring food to the airport. In fact, I am that nerd you see carring a lunch box around the airport. Yes I said a lunch box! I rather bring food and look dorky anyday then put airport food into my body! : )

16 Matt October 22, 2010 at 6:39 pm

I always bring food through the airport. I love the looks I get when I take a big bag of whole foods hot bar through ๐Ÿ˜‰
Matt recently posted..Eggs Part 3- The Perfect Scrambled Eggs

17 Catch Me If You Can October 22, 2010 at 6:43 pm

LOVE the shout out to the Proposal. I have never had an issue bringing food into the airport. I always. A girl has to eat.

18 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather October 22, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Fun times flying again! Way to bring your own snacks, I like to be prepared too.
Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather recently posted..Interval training with the GYMBOSS giveaway

19 Natalia October 22, 2010 at 7:39 pm

I am completely in love with your lunch bag! Where did you get it?

20 Cynthia October 22, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Have fun on your trip! I’ve brought snacks and stuff through the airport. It’s good to be prepared like that. ๐Ÿ™‚
Cynthia recently posted..Love your Body!

21 Alison (Ali on the Run) October 22, 2010 at 8:43 pm

I’m at an airport right now, too! Have a safe flight and have so much fun in Charlottesville! Happy traveling.
Alison (Ali on the Run) recently posted..Saying Goodbye to Utah

22 michelle October 22, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Have fun!
michelle recently posted..Marathon Motivation

23 Melissa @ TryingToHeal October 22, 2010 at 9:10 pm

hahaha…reminds me when i brought two blocks of cheese through the xray…they thought it was C4. that was an interesting experience!
Melissa @ TryingToHeal recently posted..EatingBenderโ€™s Wedding

24 Elizabeth October 22, 2010 at 9:11 pm

2 weeks ago I got stopped for almond butter… who knew almond butter isn’t a solid food? Be warned! It isn’t.

25 katie October 22, 2010 at 10:05 pm

i cant tell you how much stuff i have gotten uber inspected at airports. i think im on a list
katie recently posted..Welcome to the Rileys

26 Tabitha (From Single to Married) October 22, 2010 at 10:38 pm

Have fun on your trip – we’ve got great weather out here in VA!
Tabitha (From Single to Married) recently posted..Public Speaking

27 rebecca lustig October 22, 2010 at 10:40 pm

ahh the power of the apple. dun dun dunnn.

enjoy the bday celebration!
rebecca lustig recently posted..Bonjour- i miei amici

28 Jill October 23, 2010 at 2:48 pm

You know you have lived in The Silicon Valley when you think your blog title was referring to a mac. Good goodness. ๐Ÿ™‚

29 Kendel @ Eating Abroad October 24, 2010 at 9:12 am

I always travel with food as well. Just be careful when traveling internationally because you can’t bring any fresh food across borders. This includes dairy products, meat, vegetables, fruit, seeds and the like. I was once sniffed out by a security dog (after traveling from Amsterdam to Chicago) because I had an apple and orange in my bag. The other spectators were disappointed when I pulled the fruit from my bag. I think they were hoping for a huge bag of drugs or something. Moral of the story, eat what you bring into the airport before arriving in another country where the food becomes a health threat and will be confiscated.
Kendel @ Eating Abroad recently posted..Italian Cooking Class Day 4