My Runner’s Pak

by Meghann on October 20, 2010

Good Morning!

Happy Wednesday everyone!

My morning started off nice and easy with a relaxed 3 mile run around my apartment complex. I jammed with Glee on my iPod for the first 2 miles and took Maddie out for the final mile.

You wouldn’t know it by looking at her, but Maddie is one determined running dog. She keeps great pace and is rarely distracted by grass or squirrels – all she wants to do is run!

After my run and shower I had a pumpkiny bowl of cereal to start my day with.

IMG_3546

IMG_3561

The cinnamon on top was the key to bringing all the flavors together. It gave it just a hint of fall spice that worked well with the pumpkin, yogurt, and pear.

IMG_3556

My Nathan Runner’s Pak

I had a few comments requesting more information on the Runner’s Pak I was wearing during the Chicago Marathon, so I thought I would go ahead and provide a full review for the blog.

IMG_3567

I had purchased the Nathan’s Runner Pak at the Chicago Marathon Expo the Friday before the race. I’ve been a user of SpiBelt for a couple of years now and though I’m a fan of the company and the product, I was looking for something a little sturdier that hopefully wouldn’t bounce around as much during the race. I had actually tested out the Nathan Pak during my 20 miler in NYC when I had borrowed Ashley’s pak, so I already knew it was great for long distances and had limited bouncing abilities.

IMG_3576

On race day I loaded the pak up with my cell phone (keep in mind I have an HTC Evo aka HUGE phone), my point and shoot camera, my hotel key, my credit card, and a pack of Honey Stingers for race fuel. It all fit with no worries and stayed nice and snug on race day.

I’m pretty sure you’re supposed to wear the pak on the front like a fanny pack, but I prefer it out of my way on my back. I like to think my butt gives it some extra cushion. 🙂

Overall I give the pak two thumbs up! It didn’t bounce, I forgot it was there half the time, and it held all the crap I needed it to.

The only change I would make would be to cut off the extra pulls in the front… now those were annoying. 😉

1 Briana October 20, 2010 at 9:22 am

Hey Meghann ! I saw a version of a Runner’s Pak at my race expo last weekend and was thinking about picking one up. I always hate not having my phone on me when I’m running and this would be a good solution to that. Thanks for your review of the Nathan Pak,, now I may hold out for something a little sturdier before picking one up 🙂

2 Bridget@PavementandPlants October 20, 2010 at 9:29 am

I wear my paks on the butt too. I find that the smallness of my waist compared to the healthy size of my booty makes a perfect little shelf area for it!

3 Marina October 20, 2010 at 9:38 am

I always have problems with all the stuff I have to take with me on a run. This sounds like the thing I was searching for, I wish I had it.
It’s so great that Maddie runs with you!
Marina recently posted..hunger- where are you hiding

4 Carolyn @ lovinlosing October 20, 2010 at 9:42 am

I wouldn’t mind getting one of those, but I already look ridiculous with my headphones, mp3 armband, camelbak, Garmin, and knee strap. 😆
Carolyn @ lovinlosing recently posted..Exhausted

5 Amanda (Eating Up) October 20, 2010 at 9:45 am

That sounds like a great alternative to the SpiBelt! Thanks for the review!
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..A Sweet Shout Out to Apple Holler

6 Laura October 20, 2010 at 9:45 am

I wear mine on my butt too!

Quick marathon question. I don’t know too much about running marathons and going to the bathroom. What do you do if you have to go?

7 Meghann October 20, 2010 at 9:48 am

I’ve been REALLY lucky to not have a problem where I needed to use a bathroom during a marathon, but if I did there are usually hundreds of porta potties along the way for when people need to stop and go.

8 Laura October 20, 2010 at 10:00 am

I just never knew if drinking so much water over that long a period of time would have you peeing every 6 miles or what. I guess you are sweating it out 🙂

9 Caroline October 20, 2010 at 9:53 am

You’re lucky, my little JR is distracted by everything when I try to run with him! I’m hoping it’s just a puppy thing, though, and he’ll grow out of it soon after his first birthday next month. I can dream, anyway…

10 Jessica@tastyandtrim October 20, 2010 at 10:00 am

I always wondered where to put shot blocks and other necessities on long runs. That pak looks perfect! I may have to invest in one of those 🙂
Jessica@tastyandtrim recently posted..Oats- Oats- and More Oats!

11 Dani October 20, 2010 at 10:12 am

AHHHHH!!!! Love how you have an EVO!! I work for corporate Sprint and love when bloggers use our products! I’ve been a silent reader for a while and I want to say I love your blog. Keep up the great work girl!

12 Lizzy October 20, 2010 at 10:22 am

I just bought that pack too and wear it the same way. Did it hurt your abs at all the next day? Seriously on Sunday of this week (after I used it on my 20 miler) my abs hurt! haha. I love the stingers too- my new fav fuel.
Lizzy recently posted..Running Spectator

13 Theresa @ActiveEggplant October 20, 2010 at 10:22 am

Ooh! I (sometimes) use a SpiBelt but hate how much it bounces around. On the Nathan, are the straps elastic? Or are they non-stretchy? I personally think that’s the downfall of the SpiBelt – the elastic straps constantly stretch/bounce when running!
Theresa @ActiveEggplant recently posted..The Early Bird

14 Tiffany (Stuffed with Fluff) October 20, 2010 at 10:25 am

It’s awesome that Maddie is such a focused runner! Roxy, much like her mom heh, is easily distracted on runs.

Thanks for your review of the Nathan pack. I have a purple SpiBelt and while I love it, it does bounce around far more than I’d like it to. I’ll keep an eye out for a Nathan pack. Great that it fits everything (especially the Evo! I’m not on Sprint but I’m praying the day Verzion releases a similar phone)

15 Alicia at Poise in Parma October 20, 2010 at 10:32 am

Thanks for this post. I’m in the market for a racing belt and needed a solid recommendation. I’m just starting the portion of my training where I’m going to need to carry fuel with me. I love finding great running tips on your blog!
Alicia at Poise in Parma recently posted..ten things this tuesday- Best of Cleveland edition

16 Anna @ History Running Girl October 20, 2010 at 10:34 am

I have a pack, but it does not hold my iphone (those things are long!!). So basically it is useless. This looks like a great pack. I need something for when I run races not with my dad!
Anna @ History Running Girl recently posted..Shred it with Weights

17 RunningOnCoffee October 20, 2010 at 10:39 am

Thanks for the review! I think I was one of the people curious to know more about your running pak. I ended up ordering an ifitness pouch after seeing it at the Philly Rock n’ Roll half Expo last month. It stays put really nicely and the double pouch holds my camera, phone, snacks, etc. I read that the spibelt flaps around a lot (and I was behind someone at my half who was wearing a SpiBelt that was flopping around and her keys were jingling so much, I don’t know how it didn’t bug her!) I guess the pouch placement must be different with the ifitness… I don’t know. Another bonus, it’s waterproof. I like to wear it on the back or the side.

I wrote about the ifitness here: http://running-on-coffee.blogspot.com/2010/10/ifitness-neoprene-double-pouch-first.html

I have been looking at Nathan’s Quick Draw Elite hand held water bottle for my longer runs.
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Uh oh Sounds like somebodys got a case of the Mondays

18 SaraRM October 20, 2010 at 10:48 am

I really need to invest in one. My hands and sports bra can only handle so much more!! 🙂

Off the subject, are you sore after yesterdays bootcamp? I just read all that you did and wow no matter how good of shape im in 2 min of lunges would definitely have me feeling the next day! Great workout!

19 Meghann October 20, 2010 at 10:51 am

My arms are sore, but I think they were still sore from yoga when we started doing all the push ups. 🙂

20 Heather October 20, 2010 at 10:50 am

Thanks for the review of the Nathan Belt – I also have a spibelt but it doesn’t fit my blackberry and a camera.

My last race, I wanted to bring the camera but it wouldn’t fit. I will have to keep my eyes peeled for this belt!
Heather recently posted..Crock Pot Black Beans

21 Tabitha (From Single to Married) October 20, 2010 at 10:52 am

Cool running pak – I like how small it is
Tabitha (From Single to Married) recently posted..Public Speaking

22 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 20, 2010 at 11:03 am

That’s good it didn’t bounce as much. I usually find it annoying to run with things strapped to my waist or back.
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..Superhero Balls

23 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) October 20, 2010 at 11:09 am

cool thing… i need to get one.

24 Heather @ Side of Sneakers October 20, 2010 at 11:30 am

I use a Spi belt & love it, but always wondered about the Nathan ones- thanks for the review! (And I definitely wear mine in the back haha)
Heather @ Side of Sneakers recently posted..Cinnamon Sugar Soft Pretzel Bites

25 Cyndi @ Weightless Life October 20, 2010 at 11:31 am

I have that same silverware set! Thanks for the runner’s pak review. I’ve been thinking about getting something like that.

26 Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher October 20, 2010 at 11:36 am

i love your little side buns.
adorable!

27 Dorry October 20, 2010 at 11:36 am

So glad you posted this! Billy and I were just talking about our upcoming race and what gear we want/need to get before then. I think this is going on my list! 🙂
Dorry recently posted..You’ve Made It!

28 Erin October 20, 2010 at 11:40 am

Thanks for the post! I was actually wondering where you got that pak from.

29 Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life October 20, 2010 at 11:41 am

Thanks for posting this, I have been looking for something to hold of my loot while I run!

30 katie October 20, 2010 at 11:55 am

i think it looks better in the back, then you dont look like a nerd with a fanny pack, like my aunt nancy
katie recently posted..COUNTDOWNS

31 Marisa @ Loser for Life October 20, 2010 at 11:59 am

I definitely need to get one of those!

32 Lisa October 20, 2010 at 1:18 pm

I hate that 99% of the running pants and shorts do NOT come with pockets of any kind. It’s so frustrating! I need to get one of these things to hold my stuff. I don’t carry much but I need to carry some GUs, keys, etc.
Lisa recently posted..Celebrating My Magazine Cover Debut!

33 RunningOnCoffee October 20, 2010 at 7:21 pm

I’ve had an issue with running shorts having enough pockets. Moving comfort has a Sprint short that has nice side pockets! (I don’t own them but want to get them). I love Lululemon’s shorts, but their pockets can be small. Newer crops by Lululemon are starting to have gu pockets built in to the wide waist band (front left & front right) + the zip pocket in the back.