more ยป" />

Conclusions

by Meghann on October 20, 2010

Whoa! Comment overload! ๐Ÿ™‚

I just want to put it out there that I knew what I was getting myself into when I put my Period Post up this afternoon. I knew there would be judgement, I knew there would be some hate, but I also knew there would be support and I knew there would be a lot of good advice. I was very honest and got honesty in return. I really appreciate that.

All of the comments were very helpful and had a lot to offer. I read each and everyone of them and all I can say is thank you. Thank you to those who shared your own stories with me. It means a lot to hear the successes as well as the failures.

I’ve concluded that

1. I’m going to seek a second opinion. I just need to find a good Doctor in my area that takes my insurance. ( Taking my insurance is key here!)
  2. I’m going to up my fat and protein intake. I know my diet is mainly carbs (I <3 carbs!) and additional protein and fat has been something I’ve been working on for a while.
  3. There are no perfect answers. Everybody is different. Different cycles, different bodies, different stories.

I promise to try and keep you updated in my progress, but in the mean time I’m going to live my life. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Oh, one more thing!

I don’t usually blog about my daily supplements/ vitamins, but I thought I would put this out there since I got a lot of comments about it.

Everyday I try to take one calcium pill, a multi-vitamin, and fish oil.

Someone asked if I had my iron level checked and just as an FYI I did and it came back normal. My cholesterol and blood pressure are both normal too. And I can’t believe I left this out of my post, but I had an ultrasound too. No cysts.

OK, now I think that’s it. Now on to the food of the day!

Starting with some morning crackers (I know, it’s a carb!).

Left overs for lunch.

Butternut Squash & Apple Soup w/ Pumpkin Seeds

Left Over Buffalo Chicken Pizza

Afternoon nuts <– healthy fat, right?

IMG_2952.jpg

Dinner tonight honestly the best meal of the day.

I was inspired to create a meal heavy on the protein and heavy on the healthy fats. Looking in my freezer i found a salmon patty that I thought fit that bill.

And then I got creative with some fig jam and cottage cheese on the salmon patty.

I’ve been experimenting with cottage cheese this week and I think I finally found a winner here. The cottage cheese and fig jam were the perfect pairing to the salmon. The cottage cheese adapted the fig jam flavor perfectly and was finally just the right amount of cheesiness as a burger topper. ๐Ÿ˜‰

On the side I sauteed some green beans with mushrooms in some salt & pepper, minced garlic, and a heaping serving of EVOO.

The green beans were to DIE for! Why don’t I make green beans like this more often? I know why. I’m usually too lazy and end up eating them raw, but cooked in olive oil with some garlic is soooo much better.

Baking Fail

I knew this was going to happen. See, I am NOT a baker by any means and when the great people at ACH approached me to participate in the Bake for the Cure challenge when I would have to blog twice a week about, well, baking for a cure, I knew I was going to mess something up.

Tonight I messed something up.

I thought the Gooey Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars from the Bake for the Cure Cookbook sounded delicious, but I should have known better when the recipe called for TWO separate steps at TWO different baking times. See having to take the bars out of the oven, top them, and throw them back in was too much.

I followed the directions – I swear I did! I even checked a dozen times to make sure I was supposed to be using a 9×13 pan and not an 8×8 pan. (The batter looked so thin, looking back I should have used an 8×8 not caring what the recipe said).

Besides that I’m not sure where I went wrong. These weren’t bad, just not great. They were thin, flaky and kind of blah.

I knew what would make it better.

Yep, much better.

Oh well. I guess you can’t win them all.

1 Lindsey @ SoundEats October 20, 2010 at 9:29 pm

I love you and am proud of you for being so open minded with the period post and all the comments you got – there were a ton! Looking forward to seeing how you incorporate more fats and protein. ๐Ÿ™‚ Miss you, friend!
Lindsey @ SoundEats recently posted..Simple Seasonal Salad

2 Liz @ LBBakes October 20, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Ice cream makes everything better! ๐Ÿ™‚
Liz @ LBBakes recently posted..Crunch-Time Cookie Cups

3 Alyssa October 20, 2010 at 9:35 pm

I totally had a baking disaster today too! I tried making chocolate chip cookies subbing half of the butter and all of the crisco with applesauce, but I made the cookies too big! I also left the cookies in for too long because they were still gooey in the middle and I thought they weren’t done. I left them in too long, so they basically became a chocolaty, hard-ish mess ๐Ÿ™ Oh well, live and learn right? ๐Ÿ™‚

4 Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) October 20, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Thank you for being honest. That’s the most important thing and I really appreciate bloggers who are open and truthful, even if means opening yourself up to criticism.
Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) recently posted..My friends- Martha and Nigella

5 Amy October 20, 2010 at 9:37 pm

I think those sound like good ideas. I’m sure others said this as well, but try not to compare yourself to others – like, well, so-and-so runs x miles per week and SHE gets her period, therefore, I should too. Everyone’s different. ๐Ÿ™‚

Fig jam + cottage cheese + salmon sounds amazing. Yum yum.
Amy recently posted..saturday best

6 Heather October 20, 2010 at 9:42 pm

glad you are going to get a second opinion! never hurts. good luck!
Heather recently posted..A Look Back in Time

7 Meghann October 21, 2010 at 11:05 am

I don’t know where I went wrong ๐Ÿ™

8 Meghann October 21, 2010 at 11:06 am

Oooppsss. wrong reply. This was meant for the other Heather below. LOL!

9 Hope October 20, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Awesome post!
Everyone has such different bodies and cycles, you just need to go with what is right for you. I wish you the best of luck and I hope you get it sorted.
Your baking looks just about as good as mine! I would love to be more of a baker but my baking is total hit and miss…mainly miss and mess!
Gooey Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars do sound devine though! Well done for giving them a go!
Hope recently posted..Tagged!

10 Jamie @ Food in Real Life October 20, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Ice cream always makes it better ๐Ÿ™‚

Glad you are going to get a second opinion. EveryBODY is different, and I hope that you get some answers soon.
Jamie @ Food in Real Life recently posted..Kitchen Happenings

11 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad October 20, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Oh Meghann…the things you eat. ๐Ÿ™‚ Salmon patty with cottage cheese and fig jam?

Yum?

12 Jen October 20, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Hi Meghann,
I’ve never commented before, but I’ve been following your blog for quite a while and always enjoy following your running adventures! I read your period post, but didn’t quite make it through all of the comments, so I’m not sure if anyone mentioned the book, “Taking Charge of Your Fertility.” Yes, it is a book that helps women who are trying to conceive or who want to use natural birth control, but it also might really help you get an idea of what’s going on with your body, whether you are ovulating, etc. Might be worth a look. I think you have a good plan to follow up with another doctor. Wish you all the best!

13 Cynthia Crowsen October 20, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Insurance is always a pain. But putting the effort into finding a second opinion will be a good peace of mind.

Does your plan have a website you can check or a phone number you can call? That always makes finding doctors easier with my funny insurance.

14 Dori October 20, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Now that you are liking hot oatmeal, add lots of nut butter to it, so creamy and good and a perfect way to get extra fat and protein!
Dori recently posted..How I Fought a Cold in One Day

15 Sarah @ Long Legs Healthy Life October 20, 2010 at 10:16 pm

I appreciated the honesty in your last post, and this one. I’m glad you mentioned that you had an ultrasound and the other tests done, because my first thought was “Oh no! What if she has some sort of cyst or something!”

I also wanted to let you know that the 2nd bake for the cure link in this post links to your Bootcamp post from yesterday.
Sarah @ Long Legs Healthy Life recently posted..Love Yourself

16 Sammi October 20, 2010 at 10:17 pm

I’ve been kind of obsessed with cottage cheese lately and you must try this combination. Noodles, cottage cheese, a hint of butter and garlic! It is HEAVEN. Just heat the cottage cheese up in the microwave for 15 seconds or so if the noodles aren’t warm enough to heat it. So good. My Mom used to make this for me when I was a kid so its comfort food for me! (She also adds sour cream but I limit my dairy so I knix it for health reasons)

17 maria @ Chasing the Now October 20, 2010 at 10:17 pm

I think you were very brave to put yourself out there like that knowing that some of what was said to you and about you wouldn’t be nice. I understand the frustration, I am currently on BC because my husband and I aren’t ready for kids anytime soon, but in college (before I was sexually active) my period would go missing about once every four months. When I went to the doctor they had no answers except putting me on the pill. I saw three different doctors before deciding to just take the pill. I haven’t had any problems since then, but I don’t know for sure if I would have regular periods if I stop taking BC.

Thanks for sharing your story, Meghann.
maria @ Chasing the Now recently posted..Pancake kind of morning

18 Hangry Pants October 20, 2010 at 10:19 pm

Home, what the hell happened? I made those too!

19 Meghann October 21, 2010 at 11:06 am

I don’t know where I went wrong… ๐Ÿ™

20 Hangry Pants October 21, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Me either. At least you tried!

21 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 20, 2010 at 10:19 pm

Like I said before, I commend you for sharing so openly. I think the steps you plan on taking now are great. Keep on working to figure out ways to try to regain it. It will be a lot of trial and error, but worth the continued effort in the end. You know that though I’m sure. ๐Ÿ™‚
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..completely irresponsible

22 Ash Bear October 20, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Green beans are one of my favorite veggies! Next time, sprinkle with lemon, fresh garlic, S&P, and some garlic gold than sautee! DELICIOUS! ๐Ÿ™‚
Ash Bear recently posted..Is it Worth 35

23 Elizabeth October 20, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Take care of yourself after all there’s only one of you!

And ice cream definitely makes everything better! From bad days, to bad cookie bars, ice cream make it all great!

24 jocelyn @ enthusiastic runner October 20, 2010 at 10:37 pm

I would start taking Nordic Fish Oil Pills….supposedly they are the only ones without Mercury in them for sure. Just a suggestion!
jocelyn @ enthusiastic runner recently posted..Coconut Apple Scones

25 KimEatandBe October 20, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Good conclusions/action plan! I am right there with you…love my carbs and most of my diet consists of them, but I am trying to up my fat (healthy fats!) & protein intake.

26 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 20, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Question about insurance: doesn’t the US have universal healthcare now?
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..Superhero Balls

27 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad October 20, 2010 at 11:15 pm

You have to be currently uninsured (for at least 2 months) before you can get “universal health care.” At least that’s how it is in SC.

28 Lisa (bakebikeblog) October 20, 2010 at 10:48 pm

What a tasty dinner indeed! I love the cottage cheese + jam combo!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Time to roll

29 Alison (Fueling for Fitness) October 20, 2010 at 11:04 pm

bahahahah! your last two pictures made me laugh out loud. ๐Ÿ˜€
Alison (Fueling for Fitness) recently posted..10-10-10- The Date to Motivate

30 Clare @ Fitting It All In October 20, 2010 at 11:18 pm

The exact same vitamin’s I take every morning:)
And kudos to you for making small changes to try to figure it out naturally…

31 Anna S @ History Running Girl October 20, 2010 at 11:36 pm

What an interesting combo for dinner! I have yet to try salmon patties.
Anna S @ History Running Girl recently posted..Shred it with Weights

32 RunningOnCoffee October 20, 2010 at 11:42 pm

I ended my day with ice cream too – Coffee Chocolate Almond!

Intrigued by your cottage cheese/fig combo!
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Uh oh Sounds like somebodys got a case of the Mondays

33 Jessica @ The Process of Healing October 20, 2010 at 11:52 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your story, I think you’re AMAZING for doing it, knowing how judgemental some people can be. I wish you the best of luck!
In other news, your dinner sounds fabulous. And baking blunders… dont we all have them!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..A Good Day

34 Katy October 21, 2010 at 12:43 am

I had a bit of a baking meltdown this past weekend so have no shame in yours. Nothing that a little ice cream can’t fix right? ๐Ÿ˜‰

35 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) October 21, 2010 at 2:38 am

good luck with the period stuff! sounds like a big headache, but you WILL figure it out, and thanks so much for sharing.
Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) recently posted..TIA- Home Improvement

36 Lauren October 21, 2010 at 6:51 am

Good for you Meghann! I am so glad you shared this and better yet, so glad that you are taking the beneficial supportive comments to heart and doing what is best for YOU!
I know my protein intake is something I need to work on as well. Gosh, it’s so hard when you love carbs as much as I do though. Baby steps though. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Lauren recently posted..Walkers for Knockers

37 Heather October 21, 2010 at 7:35 am

Meghann,
I’m sorry but it really still doesn’t seem like you are eating enough. That pizza only has veggies on it, you are eating an arnold THIN and you had a tiny little piece of dessert. You should really try to double what you eat!

38 Meghann October 21, 2010 at 8:27 am

#1 – The Pizza has Blue Cheese and Fake Chicken tenders on it, not just veggies
#2 – That’s a big serving of Butternut & Apple Soup with a generous portion of pumpkin seeds (a lot sunk to the bottom)
#3 – Yes, it’s an arnold THIN, but it’s a Huge salmon patty (I just read the package and the salmon patty is 270 calories) and a good scoop of cottage cheese on top. The beans were also doused in EVOO for an extra of dose of yummy, healthy fat.
#4 – it may look like a tiny little dessert, but what you don’t see is all the batter/ crumbs I ate during the baking process. PLUS that dessert was made with REAL butter (a whole stick’s worth), Real Peanut Butter, Real Coconut shreds, etc <-- nothing fake about that yummy goodness.

39 Jaime October 21, 2010 at 9:07 am

Long-time lurker, first time commenter. Even with all the studies/articles/information at our disposal, I think many of us have only limited knowledge of how to properly fuel ourselves, particularly for our workouts (myself being guilty of this as well). At the risk of being repetitive, consulting with an RD that specializes in working with athletes–like many commenters suggested in the previous post–is an important step in giving you a better understanding of what an appropriate balance consists of.

Since this is a public forum and you have an extensive readership, not only would this help you and your long-term health, but you’d be imparting that knowledge on your readers–many of whom are looking to you for advice/guidance on both diet (“meals”) and running (“miles”).

40 Natalie October 21, 2010 at 9:53 am

It’s hard to put yourself out there and open yourself up to the hate, so good on you for taking the positive feedback as the most important!

I read most of the comments from yesterday (new reader, here) and was disturbed by how many people automatically said that you need to eat more. That may be true, but without an accurate accounting of what you eat and what you burn, no one can say for certain whether you are eating enough or enough of the right things. I always go for science and data, so following up with the RD and getting a second opinion seem like wise things to do. And tracking what you eat and what you burn on a free service like http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ or Fitday.com can be a real help in getting a good, objective view of what’s going in and what’s getting burned off.

Best of luck to you!

41 hanna October 21, 2010 at 7:39 am
42 Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather October 21, 2010 at 8:28 am

My yesterday afternoon snack with cottage cheese with apricot jam – the sweet and cheesey combo goes so great together! I’m going to have to try it on a salmon burger. I had one of those on Tuesday, just a day too late.
Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather recently posted..Interval training with the GYMBOSS giveaway

43 Amy @ Huffmania October 21, 2010 at 11:00 am

Cottage cheese + apricot jam sounds heavenly!! I need to try that.
Amy @ Huffmania recently posted..saturday best

44 Kerri October 21, 2010 at 8:40 am

It is great that you are thinking of adding more fat and protein. How do you address the concerns about gaining weight or added calories? Would you do these things to get your period back? Also, I am speaking from experiance here, my OB-gyn kept telling me my health was in line (weight, body fat, etc) but I was not getting my period either. I had to meeting with a doctor that specialized in eating disorders (I dont have one but am an athete and train for marathons often) before I was really called out on not fueling my body properly. I think I was in a bit of denial because my gyn (who does not specialize in fuel/working out) kept telling me everything looked OK>

45 c October 21, 2010 at 8:59 am

Amenorrhea doesn’t just have fertility consequences. It also is connected with osteoporosis. This is well documented–and it also has to do with diet. Women who don’t have their period and are athletes are at a much higher risk for stress fractures.

I hope you get it worked out. It seems to be something of (valid) concern to you. The dinner looked nice.

46 Julia October 21, 2010 at 9:04 am

Meghann, please look into Hypothalamic Amennorhea as Devon mentioned in the comments of your previous post. You fit the profile (there is sort of a triad – lots of stress, large weight loss, high intensity exercise) almost to a T. I have been diagnosed with it recently myself, from what I know of you from your blog it just sounds like that’s what is going on from your history. It’s possible you’ve had it for a while, and the “fake” periods you experienced on the BCP just masked it. I would encourage you to see an RE, not another OB – a reproductive endocrinologist has the most experience in this area and will be more likely to get to the root of your issues. You would be surprised how many OBs just do NOT know anything outside of the realm of “normal” fertility. Even most REs have only seen a handful of HA patients in their practice as it’s considered pretty uncommon to have this type of secondary ammenhorea – but it DOES happen, the link Devon provided you in the past comments is also a great support group and source of information where you can see that there are lots of us around, just not too clinically “known” yet.

Did you get anything other than your estrogen levels checked in your bloodwork? Your low estrogen is a given with HA; since you have low estrogen your body is not building up any lining in your uterus as part of a cycle and you have no lining to shed at the end of the month – thus no period is necessary. If they did run other hormone tests on you, look for your FSH/LH results – if they are very low, you can be certain it’s HA. My levels were FSH 3.0 and LH <0.2 (that's less than – barely registering at all). LH and FSH are the hormones that your hypothalamus regulates to get your body maturing and releasing eggs – so if there is a problem with the signal from your brain to your ovaries (due to your body thinking it's in extreme stress from running high mileage, dieting, general life stress – or more likely, a combination of some or all of those things), the whole cycle just goes to sleep for a while. No eggs are released, no lining is built, and you don't cycle.

You may be able to recover on your own through natural methods like reducing training, upping your body fat, and trying to lower your stress. Since it sounds like you aren't in a place where you're looking to concieve yet, you are lucky that you have some time to give that a shot. But you have to take that seriously in order for it to work! Small, miniscule changes may not do it – you might need to seriously cut back or increase in more than one area to do the trick. There is a chance your cycles will recover on their own, with time. If not, you may need to seek out help when you do try to concieve, with medications (luckily, for most HA'ers, oral or injectible medidications seem to do the trick and we are not likely to need IVF if there are no issues with your male partner).

Bottom line is, your body is in a place where it has decided that your menstrual cycle was something that had to "go" for the moment so the rest of you could remain in balance. I think it can be chalked up to your body telling you it's not liking where you are, and it had to shut off some things to stay running (so to speak..!). Think of it this way – it thinks that you are under some kind of high stress situation (from some combination of factors), and our bodies are actually very smart – they know when it is an OK time to conceive or not. Go back to the caveman days… if there was a food shortage and you were out chasing lions all day to stay alive (low nutrition, high intensity exercise, stress), on a very basic level, your body knows it's not in a place to support a healthy pregnancy, so it shuts down. Once your body gets used to a lower stress, higher nutrition, less chaotic way of living through reducing any of those factors, it might "wake up" and realize that it is OK to support a pregnancy, and the cycle starts up again. We should really give our hypothalamus (es?) more credit.. they're actually very smart and adept!

I don't want to sound preachy, but please at least look into seeing an RE, and bring up HA at your appointment. I think if the doctor is halfway knowledgable when he hears your history and if your hormone levels are low (low estrogen, low FSH/LH), it's a pretty clearcut diagnosis since you've already ruled out any anatomical factors (and having PCOS at a healthy or low weight is pretty rare – and you'd have HIGH FSH on your bloodwork). I encourage you NOT to go back on the pill, as this just masks a whole set of problems. but especially HA. With the fake periods/cycles you won't know what your body is or isn't doing.

If you ever want to know more about HA or if you just need support.. feel free to email me. I'm going through the same thing after a large weight loss, running, overtraining, undereating, lots of stress, etc. We have 3 children, but are trying for #4 and are going to injectible fertility meds because of the HA (not resolved naturally).

47 Paula October 21, 2010 at 9:57 am

This sounds like great advice. I am no expert, but an RE does seem like the way to go.

48 Meghann October 21, 2010 at 11:08 am

Wow! Thank you for the comment. Lots of great advice in here. I’m reaserching REs in Orlando right now to see if any in the area take my insurance. ๐Ÿ™‚

49 Julia October 21, 2010 at 12:09 pm

I’m glad to hear that – you will get much more solid answers from an RE. ๐Ÿ™‚ Make sure they do a full hormonal panel and specifically pay attention to those FSH/LH numbers. All of this diagnostic work should be covered by most insurance plans, as long as they code it as amennorhea or the like (not infertility). If you can’t find anyone knowledgeable in Orlando (or anyone who’s heard of HA.. like I said it can be sort of rare or at least less common for REs to come across)… I can recommend my clinic here in the Tampa area (Clearwater), just email me. ๐Ÿ™‚

50 Katie October 22, 2010 at 1:52 pm

For what it is worth…I just went through a lot of this myself. I am of a healthy weight, some may consider on the lighter side, and physically active…running several days (completed various lengths of races although never a marathon)a week combined with weight training. I also do my best to watch my diet. After going off birth control I did not get a period for over 12 months. I went through the battery of normal tests from my OB/GYN and after she came up empty handed I was referred to a RE. The RE ran a few more blood tests including a GTT (glucose tolerance test). Most of my levels came back normal but my sugars were on the higher side…pre-diabetes. Without much else to go on the RE decided to treat me as if I had PCOS and put me on Metformin. Metformin is a drug that should help to bring down my sugar levels. After following this regiment for close to three months I did not get a period but I did get pregnant, my husband and I were wanting to conceive, so it would appear that the regiment did the trick to get me to ovulate.

I guess I only share because I certainly did not fit the typical “makeup” for someone with PCOS but the treatment did help me in the end so certainly not everything is what it may (or may not for that matter) seem!

Good luck finding a good RE…the doctor is certainly key to it all!

51 Julia October 21, 2010 at 9:10 am

I forgot to add in my novel above, but wanted to mention – some women are just more “reproductively sensitive” than others. We all have such individual chemistry, that some people can undereat and/or overtrain or live high-stress lives with no side effects, and some do have problems like this. It is all very dependent on the person. What works for one might not work for another. But, you can be sure with the signals that YOUR body is giving YOU, that it is not in a “happy place.” Try not to compare yourself with what others have done or are doing in terms of eating/exercise/weight/training – we are all so different. What one body can handle just fine, another cannot, because it is more reproductively sensitive. You can be sure though, that you are not alone, and that it is fixable. But please address it as a serious issue. After two years of no periods for me, I got a stress fracture in my foot and am probably going to have to have a bone scan to check for signs of ostopenia. Your body DOES need a period for your bones.. so please check it out one way or another and don’t let it continue much longer. We were built to have periods until menopause, and if ammenhorea, no matter what the cause – primary (from onset) or secondary (like you’re experiencing) is a big risk factor for bone loss.

52 Lee October 21, 2010 at 9:34 am

Easy yummy way to get some more protein. The initial ingredients are a bit of an investment but they will accomplish your goal. If you like this recipe you can watch the sales to reduce the cost or join the preferred membership to get discounts I use this recipe in my diet which is based around carb cycling.

GNC pro performance whey protein powder chocolate
Coconut milk lite (in the thai section of the food isle)
Diamond Almond milk (in the dairy isle)
Cocoa
Splenda (steal some packs from Starbucks)

take a blender throw in some cocoa maybe 1-2 tbsp
about 1-2tbsp of almond and coconut milk and a pack or two of splenda
add some ice and about 3/4 cup H2O at the last second add 2 scoops of the protein powder and blend Do it in this order or the protein clumps and gets nasty

Stats
Fat 10gm
Protein 40gm
Carb 15gm
ratio 50%P:31%F:19%C Cals 337

To mix it up add some strawberries blackberries or raspberries (before you add the protein powder) and it will taste like those Godiva filled chocolate bars You can add some of the berries that are on the turn and you won’t know the difference. It will taste very berry. You can add nectarines or fresh peaches etc etc whatever is just passing into the “little too ripe” catagory. If you sub milk for the H20 and freeze it, it tastes like a Frostee and you can sub it for ice cream and still get an increase in high quality lean protein. The fruit will raise up the carbs some

If you’re aggressively lifting weights and want to pack on some muscle add 3 scoops of GNC instead of 2 and get 60gm Protein (total cal 470)

Very versatile quick whey (pun intended) to add protein and you can adjust your calories accordingly

53 Natalia - a side of simple October 21, 2010 at 10:12 am

#3 All the way. I’ve been to many doctors concerning mine and they have not come up with a problem at all. Different bodies go through different changes. (i.e. Why do some people have allergies and others not?) Thank you so much for sharing your experience.
Natalia – a side of simple recently posted..Fall with a Quesadilla

54 Lacey @ Lake Life October 21, 2010 at 10:22 am

So happy that you finally found a cottage cheese win!
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..A blogging cop-out

55 katie October 21, 2010 at 12:03 pm

still “looks”, you should have lied and said it was awesome haha!
katie recently posted..COUNTDOWNS

56 Michelle October 21, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Hi Meghann –

Love your posts, but I specifically wanted to comment on the bra strap malfunction! This had me laughing because the same exact thing happened to me once when I was at the gym, only it was MUCH more embarrassing and noticable.

You see, I was at the gym, running on the treadmill next to a really cute guy who kept looking at me. This was a few years ago when I was still working on losing weight & getting into better shape, so being next to him was really encouraging me to show off – I don’t think I’d ever run that fast or long in my life at that point. Haha. I thought I looked pretty sweet, but you see, I was wearing a new sports bra underneath my tight t-shirt, and all of a sudden, the strap just popped off! All of the sudden I noticed a definitive “flopping” (I am, um, well-endowed) and it was totally noticable as I looked in the mirror at myself. In that moment, I considered running with my right arm really close to my chest, to try and cover it up, but ultimately decided that may look even more crazy, so I hit the STOP button and ran out of there with my arms crossed over my chest.

Thanks for making me laugh and reminding me of that!

57 D October 21, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Meghann, are you going to update readers on any potential weight gain>

58 Audrey October 23, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Hi, I am a first time reader, and found your period blog very comforting. I am currently, and have been since I was 13, battling anorexia nervosa, and have never gotten my period. Now that recovery seems closer than it was ever before, I find myself getting more and more nervous about my never there period. Have you gotten an ultra-sound? I got mine a few months ago (happy 17th birthday anyone?) just to check and make sure all my parts were there and still healthy. She said everything looked fine, I’m just too thin to get one. It seems that not having a period has made me feel very inadequate. Most of my friends who are in recovery from their eating disorders got their periods instantly(even if they didn’t want it), and even after gain 25lbs, then losing, it I still didn’t get mine!I just feel like I am less than a women than my peers. I just wanted to say that I really appreciate your blog. No one ever talks about this stuff, and it’s hard! Thanks for making me feel like I’m not alone in this.