Photo Fun in Live Writer

by Meghann on October 19, 2010

Apparently Maddie’s bed wasn’t quite up to her soft and comfy standards this afternoon.

IMG_3427

She laid on it for a solid minute before getting up and nosing the bed to fold on top of itself. Poor thing was just lookin’ for a little extra cushion. She is a lady of leisure after all.

IMG_3428

By the way, I find it interesting that when I come home to let Maddie out at lunch she’ll go outside to pee & poop (which takes like 2 minutes) and then immediately comes back inside to lay on her bed or chair. I would think after being locked in a crate all morning that she would want to spread her wings, but nope – she just wants to sleep.

IMG_3430

You see that face? That’s a “mommy please stop disturbing me so I can sleep on my now extra comfy bed” face. Love her! 🙂

No cereal for breakfast meant cereal for snack today.

IMG_3437

This was a freebie from the Chicago Marathon Expo. It was sweet – very sweet! – and reminded me of Cinnamon Toast Crunch. A great throw back to childhood. 🙂

My lunch today was a fun platter of this and that.

IMG_3457

One LARGE HoneyCrisp Apple was my inspiration for this meal. I really wanted the apple with a side of almond butter for lunch and decided to balance it out with carrots, broccoli, and Fritos.

IMG_3444

I believe Apple and Carrots are my favorite AB dippers (minus chocolate).

IMG_3453

The Fritos were a left over swag grab from the Healthy Living Summit. I’ve been hoarding a bag for months now and finally decided to break into it.

IMG_3455

I LOVE Fritos, but it takes me FOREVER to eat a bag on my own because I eat such small portions at a time. Usually the bag goes stale before I can finish it. Not cool. I was hoping an occasion would present itself where I could share the bag, but it never did. Now, it’s a race against the clock to eat it all before it goes bad. No really a bad thing, I like a good challenge! 😉

IMG_3442

Windows Live Writer

For my fellow Window Live Writer nerds out there I wanted to share a cool feature that I just discovered today (and am probably really behind on this, so forgive me if it’s nothing new.)

After you insert photos into your post this nifty bar appears on the right hand side.

editbararrow

Click on the +

editbar

And select ‘Color Pop’

editbarcolor

It turns this photo

IMG_3428

Into this. 🙂

IMG_3428

You can also do B&W

IMG_3428

Or Sephia

IMG_3428

Or Sharpen…. but Sharpen makes Maddie look a little scary.

IMG_3428

I love learning new things!

Oh and if you blog and have a PC this is my official public service announcement to PLEASE Google Windows Live Writer and download ASAP. You can thank me later. 😉

And if you have a Mac download Ecto, but be warned it will be more of a love/hate relationship….

1 Kristina @ spabettie October 19, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Mmm, I crave fritos about once every three years or so… 😉

Maddie is So Stinkin Cute !
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..Thomas Keller’s Bouchon

2 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 19, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Windows Live Writer is the best thing ever! Thanks for sharing that color pop tip. I sometimes use picnik.com if I have a picture I want to crop/edit/pop in any way. It’s really easy but still more time consuming to go out of Live Writer, so I don’t use it often.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..completely irresponsible

3 Denisse October 19, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Thanks for sharing Windows Live Writer, I’m gonna check it out this evening. Love your blog. Thanks
Denisse recently posted..Hello

4 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers October 19, 2010 at 2:24 pm

i LOVEEEE windows live writer. i swear it cuts my blogging time in HALF.
Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers recently posted..Halloweenie

5 Marina October 19, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Maddie looks so cute, look at those adorable eyes.
Is she in her crate when you’re at home too, or she runs around you? 🙂
Marina recently posted..hunger- where are you hiding

6 Meghann October 19, 2010 at 2:37 pm

She’s only in the crate when I’m not at home, otherwise she is free to roam the apartment as she pleases. 🙂

7 lisa October 19, 2010 at 2:37 pm

wow, for training for a marathon you really don’t eat a lot. fruit and vegetables for lunch with almond butter? shouldn’t that be a snack?

8 Meghann October 19, 2010 at 3:47 pm

I live in the philosophy of mini meals which usually consist of breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, dessert. And trust me this was not a tiny lunch. The apple was very large and filling, that’s two overflowing tablespoons of AB, carrots, broccoli, and Fritos – all served in a serving dish, not on a plate. 🙂

9 RunningOnCoffee October 19, 2010 at 6:51 pm

That’s the philosophy of the AbsDiet creator too! I like small meals during the day too so I don’t gorge myself on snacks when I get home from work.

At work when things come up, I am often pulled away from my desk for longer than I think I will be…so if I have recently had a mini-meal, I won’t be so starving when I am not at my desk during lunch time and don’t make my way back til 2pm.
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Uh oh Sounds like somebodys got a case of the Mondays

10 Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) October 19, 2010 at 2:42 pm

love the live writer tip- thanks!! What a sweet pup 🙂

11 Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous October 19, 2010 at 2:42 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that cereal!
Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous recently posted..Where to go from here

12 janetha g. @ meals & moves October 19, 2010 at 2:42 pm

I love the photo effects in Live Writer. You should get the 2011 upgrade, it’s even better!
janetha g. @ meals & moves recently posted..one last hurrah

13 Danielle October 19, 2010 at 2:44 pm

I love CHIPS! But, I never eat them fast enough either so I just keep them in the freezer so they stay fresh.

14 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) October 19, 2010 at 2:45 pm

It takes me a LONG time to eat a bag of chips, crackers, etc. too because my portions are so small.
Michelle (The Runner’s Plate) recently posted..Feta Shrimp Skillet

15 megan @ whatmegansmaking October 19, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Why is Windows live writer better? What does it save time on? Just curious since I don’t know much about it.
megan @ whatmegansmaking recently posted..Apple and Cheddar Scones

16 Meghann October 19, 2010 at 2:52 pm

It allows your to blog from your desktop. You can drag and drop photos and can write and format posts where there is no internet. Once you have internet all you have to do is hit publish.

17 megan @ whatmegansmaking October 19, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Thanks…I guess it will probably make more sense once I get a laptop. I’m constantly connected to the internet at the moment 🙂
megan @ whatmegansmaking recently posted..Apple and Cheddar Scones

18 Meghann October 19, 2010 at 3:09 pm

If you have a lot of photos I would still download it and take it for a test run. Trust me, the drag and drop ability makes it all worth while. 🙂

19 Evan Thomas October 19, 2010 at 2:50 pm

I love love love Live Writer, but I didn’t know you could photo edit in it, too! Must try 🙂

20 Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries October 19, 2010 at 2:53 pm

LOVE color pop!! I use it all the time. I can help you with the Fritos, btw. Love, love, love them!!!!!

21 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe October 19, 2010 at 3:01 pm

I have heard so much about Live Writer. We are definitely a Mac family so I can’t use it, but I also looked into Ecto and wasn’t impressed. I have MarsEdit, which I don’t really use but keep around for when the power goes out so I can at least work on a post even if I can’t post it. I’m waiting for someone to develop a comparable product for Macs, it would make my life so much easier!
Alayna @ Thyme Bombe recently posted..A week with the hubs

22 Mrs. Muffins October 19, 2010 at 3:01 pm

I have been using Live Writer for a while and I had no idea you could do that… show’s how much I pay attention, lol!

xx
Mrs. Muffins recently posted..Universal Sign

23 Lauren @ Team Giles October 19, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Do you blog on a Mac? How do you use liver writer then?
Lauren @ Team Giles recently posted..Its finally here…

24 Lauren @ Team Giles October 19, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Haha! I meant Live Writer!
Lauren @ Team Giles recently posted..Its finally here…

25 Meghann October 19, 2010 at 3:11 pm

I use Ecto on my Mac, but have Windows live Writer ate my PC at work.

26 emily October 19, 2010 at 3:06 pm

I have a question about Live Writer – when I use it to post I get double copies of my photographs in my Wordpress “media” folder. Does this mean that I’m using double storage space when I use LW?

Anyone else having this issue?????????
emily recently posted..I Like the Other Kind of Shot Better

27 Meghann October 19, 2010 at 3:12 pm

The thing happens to me and I don’t have an answer. All I know is after two years of being hosted through wordpress (I’m now with Eleven2) I never once reached capacity on storage. And trust me – i take a LOT of photos!

28 Brenna (fabuleuxdestin) October 19, 2010 at 3:12 pm

HA it is definitely not difficult for me to finish a bag a sweets – I just don’t buy them!
Brenna (fabuleuxdestin) recently posted..impossible n’est pas francais

29 kelly October 19, 2010 at 3:17 pm

I am a Mac nerd so am totally missing out on all the Windows Live Writer glory! 😉
kelly recently posted..Travelin Man

30 Amanda (Eating Up) October 19, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Ah I’m a Live Writer newbie and so happy you shared this tip. I normally edit my photos in iPhoto (on my Mac) and then transfer them to my netbook (a PC) to blog from there. There has to be an easier way…
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..A Sweet Shout Out to Apple Holler

31 Laura @ Tidbits October 19, 2010 at 3:30 pm

My fiancee is a Mac nerd and my PC has recently died. Since i can’t afford a new pc of my own, Mac it is! So no Live Writer for me. 🙁 Is there any place to download Etco for free? I can only find where it costs approx. $20.
Laura @ Tidbits recently posted..Apple Fest!

32 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 19, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Bagigis is the same way as Maggie. When i let her out of her crate she just saunters over to a spot on the floor, plops herself down, and naps. It’s like she’s exhausted from being in the crate all day!
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..Superhero Balls

33 sweetersalt October 19, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Isn’t it just terribly sad what pitiful lives our deprived little dogs lead? My poor Franklin will spin around in circles for minutes on end just to make sure his pillows are perfectly fluffy and he is in the best possible lounging position. It literally breaks my heart.

😉

Laura
sweetersalt recently posted..Moroccan-Style Stuffed Acorn Squash

34 Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) October 19, 2010 at 3:54 pm

I had a massive apple and AB craving today as well. Thanks for the tip about Live Writer, I’m off to investigate right now!
Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) recently posted..Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice

35 Jessica @ The Process of Healing October 19, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Windows Live Writer is pretty much the most wonderful blogging tool EVER. I’m not sure I’d blog without it. But I had no idea the color pop tool existed!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Bloggie Swap

36 Hope October 19, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Love love love Windows Live Writer! Makes things sooooo super simple!
Hope recently posted..Tagged!

37 Matt October 19, 2010 at 4:17 pm

I HATE ecto. Live Writer is where it’s at 😉
Matt recently posted..Honey Sweet Cornbread

38 Jasmine (sweetandfit) October 19, 2010 at 4:31 pm

hey there girl!

I remember I heard about ecto from you – have you ever downloaded ecto on more than one computer and used the same registration code from the first download? I don’t want to have to pay for it again =(

39 Meghann October 19, 2010 at 4:44 pm

There’s a way to look up the code under File. I have mine saved to my desktop for when Ecto is acting funny and I have to delete it and reinstall it.

40 Allie October 19, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Maddie is adorable ! I haven’t had fritos in a loong time, but I LOVE them in walking tacos at my swim meets. Have you ever had a walking taco?!
Allie recently posted..No tuna fish!

41 Meghann October 19, 2010 at 4:43 pm

You have me intrigued… what’s a walking taco? 🙂

42 Allie October 19, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Okay, you take a mini bag a fritos and kinda smash them in the bag to make little pieces, then you add cooked ground taco meat (beef, or turkey!) and then add taco condiments in the bag like tomatoes, lettuce, sour cream, and onions.
Stick a plastic fork in the bag and you’ve got a walking taco!

(If you need a visual try looking it up on Google image)
Allie recently posted..No tuna fish!

43 RunningOnCoffee October 19, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Now that you describe it, one of my friends told me about those before, but now I can’t remember who… Have you ever tried a Fritos chili cheese wrap from Sonic?

44 Allie October 20, 2010 at 10:59 am

I can’t say I’ve had a fritos chili chees wrap from sonic, but that sounds stinking amazing!
Allie recently posted..No tuna fish!

45 valerie October 19, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Maddie is so ADORABLE! I love when you post pictures of her.

46 Laura @ Backstage Pass October 19, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Maddie cracks me up. She looks so cross in the first photo!
We have a Humane Society mutt at home and we know that she’s part Australian Shepherd, but haven’t been sure about what else she’s mixed with. After seeing these photos I am nearly positive she’s part Jack Russell! So many of her mannerisms are similar to Maddie’s, Lol.
Laura @ Backstage Pass recently posted..The funniest thing Ive ever subjected myself to

47 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather October 19, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Once I downloaded live writer it made my life 1000000x easier
Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather recently posted..Interval training with the GYMBOSS giveaway

48 Lisa (bakebikeblog) October 19, 2010 at 6:03 pm

oooh yes – I love the photo ‘fixers’ in windows live writer!!!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Time to roll

49 Heather October 19, 2010 at 6:21 pm

haha I had a post the other day begging ppl to download windows live writer. Too funny! I did not know about color pop, thats awesome!
Heather recently posted..A Look Back in Time

50 RunningOnCoffee October 19, 2010 at 6:45 pm

My dog does some pretty neurotic nesting herself… and all she cares about is sleeping too! I used to feel bad about her being home all day. But on days I’ve stayed home, and over the summer, I realize that she doesn’t even care that I am home, and will still sleep all day. I swear if I am being too loud, she even leaves the room so she can get some peaceful sleep elsewhere.

I’m a little amused that Frito’s were given out at the Healthy Living Summit :-p

My grocery store was recently sampling Honey Crisp apples, and I now LOVE them. Originally from the Empire State, I am a big Empire apple fan, however I don’t think the big empire apple crop has hit the stores yet. I am happy to find an apple I love just as much (or maybe more). Had a Honey Crisp apple with almond butter as part of my lunch yesterday!

I’ll go check out Windows Live Writer now – thanks in advance!

51 Cynthia Crowsen October 19, 2010 at 6:59 pm

I just got live writer a few months back and I’m still playing around with the features. This one is a great tip.

52 Janessa October 19, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Cute puppy pics!

I have a love/hate relationship with Windows Live Writer. I love certain features, but hate how there’s random bugs (like the latest one: when I hit preview, it shuts the whole program down. A valuable lesson in saving all the time.)

I play with the photo editing sometimes, but I’d love some more posts on other things Window Live Writer does–like how to make photos upload the same size every time. You should start a series!

53 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice October 19, 2010 at 7:45 pm

I love editing photos. I have a Mac and I never heard of Ecto. I think I’m gonna try it out. Hopefully I won’t hate it too much.

54 Lauren October 19, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Ugh, I wish I could get into Live Writer. I’m still very very lost when I try to use it though.
Lauren recently posted..Walkers for Knockers

55 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat October 19, 2010 at 8:14 pm

I really wish I could use Windows Live Writer, but the only PC I have is my law school computer and it has zero space for pictures. 🙁

Maddie looks adorable–I bet she’s happy to be home!
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..I Can’t Win Them All

56 Lacey @ Lake Life October 19, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Thanks so much for posting this! I never notcied that Live Writer feature before!
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..Fortune Tellers

57 Shannon, Tropical Eats October 19, 2010 at 8:57 pm

love livewriter 🙂

now you’ve got me craving cinnamon toast crunch!
Shannon, Tropical Eats recently posted..Everyone

58 Anna @ Doing Good and Living Well October 19, 2010 at 9:00 pm

What awesome tricks! Oh, and I use LiveWriter because of you! Ashley (Healthy Happier Bear) is a sorority sister of mine from UGA and she told me about it. She gave you all the credit though! 🙂

Apples and carrots are good. But I’m a HUGE fan of apples and cheese! 😀
Anna @ Doing Good and Living Well recently posted..Craving Chocolate

59 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad October 19, 2010 at 9:17 pm

That tip was remarkably helpful to me! Thank you!!!

60 Suzanne October 19, 2010 at 11:05 pm

Awesome tip! I’ve been using WLW for ages and never figured that out!

Maddie breaks my heart with those eyes. She’s so sweet.
Suzanne recently posted..When Words Hurt

61 Lea @ Healthy Coconut October 19, 2010 at 11:53 pm

I use Windows Live Writer and it has cut down my blogging time tremendously and also made it more fun ten fold. I hope as they update future versions of it there would be more cool stuff and tools to make blogging more efficient.

In 20 years, maybe there will be a tool that can read our minds and type the blog post for us 🙂
Lea @ Healthy Coconut recently posted..Lightning- Thunderstorm…Oh my!

62 Sana October 20, 2010 at 12:07 am

You are officially the most amazing blogger I know! Thanks for the tip! My posts will now have color popping pics!
Sana recently posted..Running……Late

63 Beth October 20, 2010 at 8:40 am

Maddie looks adorable no matter what effects you use!

And I just have to say, to stay within the Microsoft family, you should use bing.com instead of ‘Google’ to find Windows Live Writer. 🙂

64 Alina @ Duty Free Foodie October 20, 2010 at 10:34 am

That’s a great LiveWriter tip! I spent way too long trying to figure out the basic settings of Live Writer since I started blogging um … this week. I didn’t notice that one, but I am sure I’ll use it! If you have any other LiveWriter hacks, please post 🙂
Alina @ Duty Free Foodie recently posted..My food philosophy in a nutshell

65 Lacey @ Lake Life November 30, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Do you know if Color Pop is an option on the update Live Writer? I can’t find it 🙁
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..Columbus was a pilgrim…I swear