Fitnessista Boot Camp

by Meghann on October 19, 2010

Meet Sargent Gina.

She kicked my butt hard after work this afternoon.

IMG_3167.jpg

We ran. We squatted. We chatted about blogs, food, running, and boys.

I hope this becomes a weekly thing. πŸ˜‰

As you know, running is my passion. I set my alarm for 5:30am every morning and have no problem jumping out of bed, throwing my running shoes on, and heading out the door. I love it. BUT, when it comes to strength training, I’m starting to think I’m a loss cause. I have no passion for it and need someone there pushing me so that I actually do it.

Enter Gina. She saw me tweeting about my need to be pushed in this department and offered to help. After a couple of e-mails we arranged to meet at beautiful Lake Eola after work today for a Fitnessista Boot Camp.

Gina’s a great motivator. We did two or three laps of the lake, stopping at various points for different squats, leg lifts, lunges, etc. and in between the laps we would head to our mats for push ups and abs.

We even had a great audience motivating us along the way.

It was great having Gina there correcting my form, but it was also nice having her there to talk to. Having so much to talk about, really made the bootcamp fly by. I really hope that this does become a weekly thing. πŸ™‚

Thanks Gina!!!

Before I met Gina at the Park I had a random granola bar from my office snack drawer.

I think the bar had seen better days. It was really mushy and barely being held together. Still tasty though.

I’m in week 3 of Bake for the Cure Challenge and have been slowly making my way through the Bake for the Cure cookbook.

*I was sent an ACH Baking Kit & the Bake for the Cure Cookbook in exchange for participating in the program. During the month of October I will be posting twice a week with a different Bake for the Cure Recipe in honor of raising awareness for breast cancer awareness month.*

Today I decided to take a cue from the pizza section of the cookbook.

Though, the breakfast pizzas did look tasty (I should have taken a photo of the granola, apple, & vanilla version on the next page), I wasn’t in the breakfast mood. Instead I just followed the crust directions and when my own route with the toppings.

The recipe calls for the Fleischmann’s Pizza Crust Yeast, which completely sped up the process in crust making. Instead of having to rise for an hour, it took less than 30 minutes. Score!

My heart was set on a buffalo chicken pizza.

I started with a thin layer of buffalo sauce.

And added red onion, kale, mushrooms, fake chicken tenders, and blue cheese.

The fake chicken was a great pizza topper. I just popped a couple of pieces in the microwave, chopped them into pieces, and sprinkled on top.

12 minutes later…

Buffalo Pizza!!!

I had 2 slices for dinner tonight.

Everything about it was great. Good crust, great toppings, and was ready in 30 minutes or less.

Pumpkin Ice Cream Cone for dessert.

I’ve had a swarm of e-mails/ tweets today asking about the Period Post. I promise it’s going up tomorrow. I’m a little nervous and not sure it will live up to people’s expectations. I’m not giving answers, just telling my own story. I wish I had answers! If I did I would hand them out by the truck load. But I guess the point of telling my story is letting others know their not alone.

I’m off to bed.

Good Night.

1 Mara @ What's For Dinner? October 19, 2010 at 9:44 pm

SO JEALOUS you got to hang with Gina… looks like you had a great workout and a great time!
Mara @ What’s For Dinner? recently posted..Green &amp Green

2 Amy October 19, 2010 at 9:47 pm

That boot camp sounds like it was so much fun – the best way to do strength training. I tend to rush through strength training just to get it over with, so maybe I need to try this approach!

3 Jessica@tastyandtrim October 19, 2010 at 9:47 pm

That pizza looks delicious – I’ve been wanting to make buffalo chicken pizza! It stinks because I only get to whip up fun recipes when I go home from school for the weekend. I absolutely love scooping my ice cream into those cake cones..if I didn’t I would seriously eat my way through an entire half gallon (it’s happened before πŸ˜‰ ) Ice cream is my weakness, and if that is Edy’s pumpkin ice cream it is definitely one of my favorites!
Jessica@tastyandtrim recently posted..Oats- Oats- and More Oats!

4 Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) October 19, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Pizza was on the menu for me, too, tonight but I forgot to defrost the dough. Oops! 😳
Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) recently posted..My friends- Martha and Nigella

5 Exercise and Eat October 19, 2010 at 9:56 pm

I’m jealous of your bootcamp and ice cream cone! And all of your posts go far, far beyond my expectations:)

6 gina (fitnessista) October 19, 2010 at 10:11 pm

hey girl,
loved working out and chatting with you today- we definitely need to do it again soon!
xoxo

7 Amanda (Eating Up) October 19, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Need to make my own pizza. Soon.

I will no longer be swayed by the frozen pizzas in the freezer section.
Amanda (Eating Up) recently posted..A Sweet Shout Out to Apple Holler

8 Jae October 19, 2010 at 10:17 pm

Dont be nervous ! πŸ™‚ We’re not going to bite, well, at least I promise not to do so.
Im really interested in hearing your story

9 Anna S @ History Running Girl October 19, 2010 at 10:22 pm

I’m trying to incorporate more strength training into my routine. Before I graduated, my college roommate and I would do strength training dvds together. It was so much easier to get motivated with her doing the same stuff. Now, my cats just look at me like I’m crazy if I do anything. Or they try and pounce on the kettlebell.
Anna S @ History Running Girl recently posted..Shred it with Weights

10 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 19, 2010 at 10:29 pm

I’m all about the weight training. I prefer to do it in the gym where I have access to some real weights, but outside would be a nice switch up too. It’s nice to have a partner when resistance training. It keeps you motivated.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..Superhero Balls

11 Renee October 19, 2010 at 10:33 pm

because of you- i decided to take the dive and start my own blog… hopefully you’re amazing inspiration will rub off on me and i can become more physically fit and healthier! πŸ™‚ you two should do a boot camp in iowa πŸ˜‰ just saying!

Renee recently posted..the beginning

12 kristinp October 19, 2010 at 10:33 pm

WAITAMINUTE there. Just hold one one second.

Ahem.

I am an avid stalker of both you and Gina and she said something about “Bridal bootcamp” starting today…is there something you’re not telling us Mn’M? Hmmmmm????

Suspicious regular-readerly yours,
Kristin

13 Meghann October 20, 2010 at 8:22 am

hahaha! I wish! Trust me if there was any need for a ‘bridal bootcamp’ I would be screaming it from the rooftops! I wouldn’t be able to hold that one in!
Meghann recently posted..Fitnessista Boot Camp

14 Jessica @ The Process of Healing October 19, 2010 at 10:41 pm

Wow I can imagine Gena kicked your booty!!!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Bloggie Swap

15 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat October 19, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Sometimes I wish I could live in Orlando just so I could be by all of the healthy living bloggers down there, including Gina and you!! I definitely need my butt kicked in the strength training department too.
Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat recently posted..I Can’t Win Them All

16 Elizabeth October 19, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Seriously how did it work out that most fo the blogs I read are by people in Orlando?! I’m jealous you can all meet up. Anyone in the Fort Lauderdale area?

17 Sarah October 20, 2010 at 10:25 am

I have always thought the same thing. How can one find like minded peeps in there own town. Shout out for Savannah people!

18 VeggieGirl October 19, 2010 at 10:47 pm

Love seeing you and Gina hanging out! πŸ™‚

19 Lisa (bakebikeblog) October 19, 2010 at 10:52 pm

I love the boot camp idea!!!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Time to roll

20 Cynthia Crowsen October 19, 2010 at 10:57 pm

Oooo Buffalo Chicken pizza. I’m so excited to try this one.

21 Kathryn October 19, 2010 at 10:57 pm

Is it bad that I like working out with others because I’m naturally competitive? I’m glad you had someone to push you, especially a friend.
Kathryn recently posted..Revelations in a 23 year olds kitchen

22 Lisa October 19, 2010 at 11:22 pm

That looks like a cool place to work out! Very scenic!
Lisa recently posted..Celebrating My Magazine Cover Debut!

23 Hope October 19, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Your pizza looks so good! I think I might make something similar tonight. I normally don’t go for fake meat, but bought something similar to your fake chicken yesterday cos it looked intriguing – the ingredients list wasn’t scary so I figured it was worth a go. Definitely going to try them on pizza!
Hope recently posted..Tagged!

24 Sarah for Real October 20, 2010 at 12:10 am

FYI I prefer bars that don’t hold together well because I think that generally means less fake “hold together ingredients.” For example, I’ve fallen in love with Kind bars that definitely fall apart but are far more Real than most.
Sarah for Real recently posted..Do I Dare

25 Marina October 20, 2010 at 1:19 am

I recently started doing weighs at the gym, and I pretty much love it. I hope I won’t get bored.
It would be awesome to work out with Gina πŸ˜€
Marina recently posted..hunger- where are you hiding

26 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) October 20, 2010 at 2:33 am

love it. i want to do a boot camp with a friend! way more fun.
Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) recently posted..TIA- Home Improvement

27 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 20, 2010 at 6:08 am

Gina definitely knows how to put together tough workouts. I love being able to workout with a friend who can motivate and keep the intensity up too.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..completely irresponsible

28 Savannah P October 20, 2010 at 6:22 am

It looks like you two had a great time!! πŸ™‚
I made homemade pizza last night two, although mine was completely different – Fig, radicchio and parmesan with a champagne glaze! I’ll be blogging about it soon.

Now I really want to get a group of girls together for a “friend” bootcamp, it looks like so much fun!
Savannah P recently posted..β€œOIAS”

29 Matt October 20, 2010 at 6:27 am

Buffalo chicken pizza = win!
Matt recently posted..OpenSky Special Offer

30 Lauren October 20, 2010 at 6:58 am

Bootcamps are always such a great way to incorporate strength training especially for people who are so high energy like you. I can never spend an hour just lifting weights at the gym, I need something more stimulating like Body Pump or Intervals or Bootcamps.
Glad you had the encouragement of a good friend. That always helps too! πŸ˜‰
Lauren recently posted..Walkers for Knockers

31 Heather October 20, 2010 at 7:52 am

It really doesn’t seem like you eat too much, and you worked out 2 times yesterday. I hope you eat more than you post!

32 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine October 20, 2010 at 7:53 am

Aw I wish I could be there to have Gina train me too!! She seems so fun and knowledgeable.

Sharing experiences is what the blogworld is all about. No one is expecting you to have all the answers but you might encourage someone to figure out their own period problems!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Describe Your Perfect Date!

33 Lexi October 20, 2010 at 7:57 am

I remember in an earlier post you said that the Gardeins were like warmed up chicken tenders. I recommend cooking them in the oven on 400 degrees. They get nice and crispy. In the microwave, they stay a little limp and soft.
I hope this helps. I love the Gardein tenders, but only if they are nice and crispy on the outside.

34 Meghann October 20, 2010 at 8:32 am

The first time I made them I followed the oven directions exactly and they were still limp. This time around I wasn’t looking for crispy tenders, which is why I went the quick way with the microwave. I still think they’re tasty and if I need a chicken tender fix I will pick them up again. πŸ™‚

35 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 20, 2010 at 9:08 am

I am so jealous of your workout with Gina! Bootcamp sounds like a blast. Good for you for getting into more strength training!
Holly @ couchpotatoathlete recently posted..Tabata &amp Quesadillas

36 Cortney October 20, 2010 at 9:18 am

The company that makes that granola bar also makes Dark Chocolate Almond Granola Cereal. I keep getting it in race packets and it’s AMAZING!

37 katie October 20, 2010 at 11:54 am

could this Fittenista fly out to LA and work my booty into shape too?
katie recently posted..COUNTDOWNS

38 Lee October 20, 2010 at 12:32 pm

I’m going to put in a plug for a strength training program that actually will increase your strength and over all it will tend to protect your running longevity. It’s called New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Schuler. It is a very compact but intense workout (45 minutes 3 times a week) that is very well thought out and will give you results. I mention it in case some of your readers might be interested in adding disciplined well thought out full body strength training to their exercise regimen

I wouldn’t start it if you are training for a Marathon as it will make you sore as hell for a few weeks until you start to get into shape but it’s a perfect recovery vehicle if you just completed a Marathon or a half Marathon for example and want to change things up a little before you start training for the next one but don’t want your training to devolve in intensity or commitment It’s 10 bux at Amazon

Love your blog