D-Tags

by Meghann on October 18, 2010

Wasn’t my lunch pretty?

IMG_3357

So many colors! That’s when you know it’s good. 😉

There were ORANGE Sweet Potato Chips.

IMG_3360

GREEN Broccoli

IMG_3362

And a… hmmm…. RED Sandwich? BROWN Sandwich? Umm.. I think you get the picture. 😉

IMG_3364

The sandwich was a new adventure for me. The bread was the last of my Dill Bread I made on Friday and it was, of course, fabulous. BUT, in between the fabulous bread was hummus, cottage cheese, mushrooms, and tomato.

Hummus and Cottage Cheese? It sounded good when I saw the two sitting next to each other in the fridge. The end result? Blah. I’m not a cottage cheese fan to begin with and it really added nothing to the sandwich. I wanted it to be really cheesey, but instead it was the same ole bland cottage cheese.

Oh well.

Mid-morning snack of a sample of snack crisp from the Chicago Expo.

IMG_3356

They reminded me of eating air. Tasty, but not satisfying by any means.

Race D- Tags

Earlier I saw Monica tweet about not wanting to remove her d-tag from yesterday’s marathon. To which I responded that I still have my Chicago D-Tag on my shoe. I don’t plan to take it off anytime soon either. I’m in the market for new shoes anyways and just don’t have the heart to trash the d-tag just yet.

I have a bad habit of leaving my d-tags on until the next race I run. There’s something about lacing up my running shoes and seeing the familiar orange strip that makes me want to train harder and faster. You see, that d-tag reminds me of everything that my race was and also what it could have been. It tells me to slow down, push harder, break up my stride, etc. It reminds me that yes, I can run marathons and yes, I can run sub-7 minute miles if I really try. When my mind tells me no, the d-tag says yes.

Apparently the D-tag says a lot. I just need to remember to listen. 😉

So my question is, do you keep your old d-tags on after races? Or am I the only nutzo?

1 Kristina @ spabettie October 18, 2010 at 3:12 pm

ha ! yep, salty air those snap peas are… but they’re good on a salad! 😀
Kristina @ spabettie recently posted..Thomas Keller’s Bouchon

2 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 18, 2010 at 3:13 pm

I’ve never actually got a D tag before.
Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday recently posted..Superhero Balls

3 Heather October 18, 2010 at 3:13 pm

I don’t keep the D-tag on my shoes, but I do keep them and stick them on the back of my bib from that race!

4 Evan Thomas October 18, 2010 at 3:14 pm

I’ve never had to wear a d-tag for my two race. Odd.

5 Gavi @ GaviGetsGoing! October 18, 2010 at 3:14 pm

I’ve never had a D-tag before , but I do have a growing stash of race bibs that I refuse to throw away. Also, I still haven’t taken my triathlon number stickers off my helmet or bike. They’re such great reminders of an amazing race!

6 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) October 18, 2010 at 3:17 pm

keep it on. even more evidence of badass-ness.
Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) recently posted..TIA- Home Improvement

7 Amanda October 18, 2010 at 3:20 pm

I’ll get my first D tag this Saturday! I’m not sure if I’ll keep it or not….
Amanda recently posted..A Recent Creation in Pictures

8 Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) October 18, 2010 at 3:25 pm

I love colourful meals, I find them really satisfying.
Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) recently posted..11 Days

9 Clare @ Fitting It All In October 18, 2010 at 3:26 pm

I’ve only run one race that required d-tags, and it was only a 5K, but it’s still on there:)

Sorry about the lunch flop. I keep wanting to try cottage cheese after seeing so many recipes with it, but I really just think it’ll be gross.
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..Sunday Afternoon &amp Reader’s Request

10 Theodora October 18, 2010 at 3:27 pm

I never take them off, either, until my next race! If I hadn’t lost my Chicago sneakers, I would have left my 10.10.10 tag on for sure. Le sigh.
Theodora recently posted..I had an early meeting- so this was actually a morning snack I

11 Kelly October 18, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Hmm, I think I took it off right away. DOn’t remember though.
Kelly recently posted..New York- New York!

12 Megan October 18, 2010 at 3:30 pm

You’re not a nutzo! I still have my d-tag on my shoe from my half-marathon in May. During that race, my 4th stress fracture of the year occurred. Since I’m still not sure I’ll race that distance again anytime soon, I’m keeping my tag. I’m nostalgic, what can I say?!?
Megan recently posted..Resetting a Body Clock

13 kathleen October 18, 2010 at 3:34 pm

hm. i wonder why i’ve never gotten a d-tag. is it newer i wonder. i haven’t raced in a half or full marathon for a long time… maybe it’s about time to sign up. the hummus + cottage cheese threw me until you said you didn’t like it! i’m pregnant and all about weird food combinations but that didn’t sound good to me =)

14 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 18, 2010 at 3:35 pm

I despise cottage cheese. It is the one thing I have tried to like numerous times and just can’t. Blah!

I haven’t ever done races, but I would probably end up keeping it. I like holding on to little tokens like that for some things.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..completely irresponsible

15 Caitlin October 18, 2010 at 3:35 pm

One of my GOTR runs left her d-tag on 🙂

I take mine off because once it stained my shoe orange!
Caitlin recently posted..Grill Your Sandwich

16 RunningOnCoffee October 18, 2010 at 3:36 pm

For both my half marathons (this April and September), I left the tag on for about a week or so before cutting it off. I think I saved both my race bibs and d-tags though (I don’t know why… I need to stop “collecting” things).
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Want to run

17 Christina October 18, 2010 at 3:37 pm

I kept the D-tag from my first race on for nearly a year. I loved looking down and seeing it on a run 🙂

18 Amy October 18, 2010 at 4:00 pm

I forgot my tag at my most recent race! I was so bummed. When I got home it was sitting there in the bag (with my bib, which I also forgot …) It looked so lonely.

19 kristy @ kristyruns.com October 18, 2010 at 4:06 pm

I cut my d tags off immediately. 🙂 never even crossed my mind to leave it on! Cute idea though. Instant motivation!
kristy @ kristyruns.com recently posted..Pumpkin Trip Oh-Ten

20 Jess October 18, 2010 at 4:20 pm

I keep mine on too! That’s actually how I tell all my pairs of running shoes apart. The only one I’ve ever taken off was from a half I did as training for a marathon. I had to take it off to replace it with the one for the marathon.

21 Mimi October 18, 2010 at 4:38 pm

I was just thinking about this the other day. After the half-marathon I ran this weekend, we HAD to return the tag or else face at $30 charge. It made me a little sad… I like keeping them on as memories.
Mimi recently posted..Half-Marathon- Sneezes and success

22 RunningOnCoffee October 18, 2010 at 7:28 pm

I ran in a Turkey Trot last year where we had velcro chips to wear on our ankles like prison bracelets. They were so bulky! We would have been charged some kind of crazy fine if we didn’t return them, too. D-chips are nice and lightweight, you barely notice it!
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Want to run

23 Lily's Health Pad October 18, 2010 at 4:45 pm

I keep mine on! Some may call it obnoxious, but I call it pride. 🙂

24 katie October 18, 2010 at 5:32 pm

yes keep those dtags on!
katie recently posted..COUNTDOWNS

25 Katy October 18, 2010 at 5:59 pm

I’ve never received a D-tag before… but I’m sure I will eventually! 🙂 🙂 🙂

Your lunch is so colorful!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂
Katy recently posted..Meltdown in the kitchen

26 Lisa (bakebikeblog) October 18, 2010 at 6:06 pm

I have never seen tags like those!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Time to roll

27 Hope October 18, 2010 at 6:09 pm

I luv colourful meals…and I really really want to like cottage cheese, I just don’t! I buy it every now and then to try and convince myself to like it, but I just can’t! I think cottage cheese and me don’t mix!
Hope recently posted..Tagged!

28 ida October 18, 2010 at 6:25 pm

I toss the tag. I put my latest bib on the fridge though, which serves as a reminder to eat right and train hard for the next one.

29 Jen October 18, 2010 at 6:27 pm

I usually keep them on for the reasons you mentioned. I will certainly be keeping my one from my most recent race on since it was a DNF. It’ll be the motivation I need to kick every training run’s butt til the next race 😉
Jen recently posted..Down- but not out

30 Anna S @ History Running Girl October 18, 2010 at 7:20 pm

I’ve taken mine off in the car!

My last two races I’ve had the bib timers. I really like those.

31 Alison (Ali on the Run) October 18, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Yes! I always leave my D-tags on! They’re great conversation starters, too. I met a girl at my gym because we both had D-tags on our sneakers. Love it!
Alison (Ali on the Run) recently posted..EYES UP!

32 Lauren October 18, 2010 at 8:01 pm

I love the idea of leaving the tags. It’s kind of like a righteous symbol of everything you’ve accomplished. Sort of like a tattoo for your shoe. 🙂
Lauren recently posted..Walkers for Knockers

33 Jess-The Semi Abnormal Gal October 18, 2010 at 8:12 pm

I wanted to keep mine, but they cut it off at the finish….wtf? Oh well, I’ll get a new one soon! 🙂
Jess-The Semi Abnormal Gal recently posted..September 26th and 28th- 2006

34 KVH October 18, 2010 at 8:22 pm

So glad you posted about keeping your D-Tag on! I still have mine on from Chicago and just don’t have the heart to take it off. Even though I thought my race went horribly, it just a reminder of what my body can do!

35 Caitlin (EatFeats) October 18, 2010 at 8:27 pm

I keep race tags on, and whenever I do open water swims, I am totally okay with my number sticking on my skin for a while. It’s a fun reminder of a big accomplishment!
Caitlin (EatFeats) recently posted..The deepest South I’ve ever been

36 Jess S. October 18, 2010 at 9:22 pm

I cut d-tags off the minute I get home! My bibs, however, are something I hang onto no matter how many I accumulate or how good/bad the race was.

37 Kirstin October 18, 2010 at 9:31 pm

try the pumpkin with nutmeg and cinnamon in your cottage cheese- needs some granola for texture, but that’s the only way i can eat it…

38 Cortney October 19, 2010 at 8:39 am

I have kept my d-tag on for a long time before! Now all the races around here are embedding the chip into the race bib so there are no more tie on chips or d-tags. Sad day!

39 Heather October 19, 2010 at 8:57 am

Totally keep it on! I love looking down and remembering the race and how good it made me feel. I like to think that it makes me that much faster during my training runs 🙂
Heather recently posted..Monday- Monday

40 jen October 19, 2010 at 10:10 am

my first half-marathon d-tag is still on my retired running shoe a year later. this year’s tag probably isn’t coming off either. it’s a good conversation starter too.

41 Jess October 19, 2010 at 10:29 am

Lol Meghann I’m totally the same way with my D-tags. I cut them off the morning of my next race right before I attach a new one. My last race actually had the chip embedded on the bib, and now my laces look empty without the little orange loop!
Jess recently posted..Theres Something About the Mornings

42 Tay October 19, 2010 at 10:58 am

This may sound stupid, but what exactly is a D-tag? The only race I’ve done (3 times though), we had our timing chip on our shoe and they removed it for us at the end!
Tay recently posted..Will Run for Tiffany’s…and food

43 Cortney October 19, 2010 at 1:40 pm

A D-tag is a disposable timing chip. It looks like a slip of paper that goes through your shoe and sticks to itself and the timing chip is in it.
Cortney recently posted..IBM Uptown Classic 10K Race Report

44 Cortney October 19, 2010 at 1:41 pm

So, I just realized that I have a D-Tag hanging in my cube at work with some of my other finisher’s stuff. I probably took it off of my running shoes after a long time and just hung it up on my cube wall. 🙂
Cortney recently posted..IBM Uptown Classic 10K Race Report